Who is your favorite pianist?

Posted by: Anonymous

Who is your favorite pianist? - 05/19/06 10:22 AM

Tunerout got me thinking of something that could be an interesting topic for the ABF. Tunerout's pianist inspiration is Frank Cramer. It would be interesting to share who our favorite pianist is. We could get some new leads on some piano inspiration. I would love to play piano like Joe Sample who is a solo performer, pianist for the Crusaders, and backs up many wonderful jazz vocalists. I love the emotion and joy expressed in his playing.
Posted by: Monica K.

Re: Who is your favorite pianist? - 05/19/06 10:25 AM

George Winston!! Because he is both a composer and a pianist and creates music of aching beauty. And his playing shows great artistry. And because he is so cool he released an album of solo piano covers of songs by The Doors.

Ludovici Einaudi and David Nevue would also be in my top five.
Posted by: IrishMak

Re: Who is your favorite pianist? - 05/19/06 10:31 AM

In no particular order: Lyle Mays, Russell Ferrante, Jonathan Cain, David Lanz, George Winston, Tom Coster....
Posted by: Piano&Violin

Re: Who is your favorite pianist? - 05/19/06 10:36 AM

Evgenia Rubinova
Posted by: dk21208

Re: Who is your favorite pianist? - 05/19/06 11:02 AM

Winston is definitely at the top of my list for releasing the Doors album. How cool is that? I am actually kind of back and forth about liking the Doors, but Winston playing their music is just amazing.... Every time someone new comes over to my house I make them listen to that cd.

My original inspiration, though, is Billy Joel. (I know, it is generic and an uninteresting choice) In my defense you can't just pick someone to inspire you, it just happens.

Also on my list in no particular order: Elton John, Thelonious Monk, Tori Amos, Victor Borge, Beethoven.

Yeah, some odd stuff in that list.
Posted by: Naught

Re: Who is your favorite pianist? - 05/19/06 11:20 AM

I'm a rock-n-roller so if we said keyboardists, I would say Rick Wakeman.

Pianist would have to be my teacher, she must be just about the best sight reader ever. She never ceases to impress me. Its the most amazing talent I have ever seen.
Posted by: Euan Morrison

Re: Who is your favorite pianist? - 05/19/06 11:27 AM

Classical Pianists: Yundi Li, Valentina Lisitsa, Sviatoslav Richter

Non-classical: Ludovico Einaudi, Yann Tiersen, Michael Nyman.
Posted by: signa

Re: Who is your favorite pianist? - 05/19/06 11:31 AM

for current pianists in concert scence, i really like Pierre-Laurent Aimard and Rudu Lupu, who always produce extremely great tone quality when they play.

for pianist who's not in concert scence, my teacher of course!
Posted by: IrishMak

Re: Who is your favorite pianist? - 05/19/06 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Naught:
I'm a rock-n-roller so if we said keyboardists, I would say Rick Wakeman.
[/b]
Ah, yes- you brought one more to mind- Keith Emerson.
Posted by: rocky

Re: Who is your favorite pianist? - 05/19/06 12:07 PM

Mr. super-hunky
Posted by: Shortcircuit85

Re: Who is your favorite pianist? - 05/19/06 01:21 PM

Humm,in classical... probably Van Cliburn but there are others. Lang Lang, Ivo Pogorelic, Gyweneth Chen...
Posted by: loveschopintoomuch

Re: Who is your favorite pianist? - 05/19/06 01:56 PM

Boy, am I out of touch! I never heard of most of the current generation pianists.

I'm still in the age of: George Shearing, Count Bassie and Ray Charles (for non-classical). Are these men all dead?

For classical: Artur Rubinstein (I know he's dead), Horowitz (also deceased), and Vladimir Ashkenazy (alive and wel, I hope).

And for the "what the heck is that" category: I have to go with the Killer...Jerry Lee Lewis! (I don't know if he's living or dead, and I don't think he knows either.)

Saw him in person once and WOW he can play that piano however destroys it in the process. I guess that's why they call him the Killer.
Posted by: geek in the pink

Re: Who is your favorite pianist? - 05/19/06 02:07 PM

Art Tatum, even Rachmaninov thought he was phenomenal.
Posted by: LiszThalberg

Re: Who is your favorite pianist? - 05/19/06 02:46 PM

I like the 5 browns. If you haven't heard of them, they are a family of 5 that all play together. They are really good. I also like Lang Lang.

Debussy 20
Posted by: tenuki

Re: Who is your favorite pianist? - 05/19/06 02:52 PM

Monk
Posted by: swingal

Re: Who is your favorite pianist? - 05/19/06 03:02 PM

Oscar Peterson around 1977. Classically trained and went on to be one of the very few magnificent jazz players.

Alan
Posted by: Seaside_Lee

Re: Who is your favorite pianist? - 05/19/06 03:04 PM

Mike White \:D

"White army! oooh...White army!"
Posted by: tenuki

Re: Who is your favorite pianist? - 05/19/06 03:24 PM

Is Mike White one of the White Stripes?

Re: Who is your favorite pianist? - 05/19/06 03:30 PM

No, ya know?... our Mike White! ;\)

come to think of it though?...w_scott can play like Errol Garner easily

So he may yet take over from Mike White \:D
Posted by: Kam

Re: Who is your favorite pianist? - 05/19/06 03:49 PM

classical = J.S. Bach
modern = Ernesto Cortazar and David Lanz
Posted by: pianoga

Re: Who is your favorite pianist? - 05/19/06 04:05 PM

I must admit I don't realy know! :rolleyes: My musical tastes have changed and keep evolving...

The only pianist who has always ranked among my favourites since I first heard him is Erroll Garner. Keith Jarrett would be next...

I mostly listen to the likes of Mike White, Seaside Lee, Balladeer these days...
Posted by: A441

Re: Who is your favorite pianist? - 05/19/06 04:15 PM

I'm with geek in the pink...Art Tatum, George Shearing, Adam Makowicz.
Horowitz was also a fan of Tatum.
Posted by: Simon Blundell

Re: Who is your favorite pianist? - 05/19/06 04:38 PM

Chico Marx, Martha Argerich

Re: Who is your favorite pianist? - 05/19/06 04:40 PM

pianoga

Quote:
I mostly listen to the likes of Mike White, Seaside Lee, Balladeer these days...
There is therapy available...
Posted by: gilad

Re: Who is your favorite pianist? - 05/19/06 04:48 PM

check her out.
Valentina Lisitsa
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWQx678Kku0

Re: Who is your favorite pianist? - 05/19/06 04:49 PM

More seriously

At the moment...I'm listening to Ludovico Einaudi, Erroll Garner, Gene Harris, Marilyn McPartland, Diana Krall, Jamie Cullum and a guy called Larry Petty plays in Nordstroms in Dallas...I bought a couple of his CDs when I was in the states last summer

Can't say I really have an all-time favourite I just love listening to piano players and pianer music

regards

Lee \:\)
Posted by: Shortcircuit85

Re: Who is your favorite pianist? - 05/19/06 05:03 PM

Erroll Garner (who Seaside_Lee just mentioned) is a favorite of mine as well. beautiful jazz music, and I believe he can't read a note of it either. Notch one up for the play-by-ear crowd...
Posted by: CC2 and Chopin lover

Re: Who is your favorite pianist? - 05/19/06 05:19 PM

Classical: Dubravka Tomsic

Jazz: Chick Corea

Rock: Rick Wakeman and Keith Emerson

Re: Who is your favorite pianist? - 05/19/06 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gilad:
check her out.
Valentina Lisitsa
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWQx678Kku0 [/b]
Good call!

Lots more of her videos at http://www.valentinalisitsa.com/valhome.html
Posted by: funburger

Re: Who is your favorite pianist? - 05/19/06 06:59 PM

i dont have a favorite pianist, but what got me interested in playing was the salesmen at the store in the mall when i was a kid. from the moment i heard the piano i wanted to learn. then as i got older my friend played and i would make her play the rose for me All the time. she played beautifully even when she was annoyed:) i never did start playing as i thought i could never learn. then i got my first piano for free so i decided to give it a whirl i had nothing to lose but space.....well one thing led to another and not to long after i bought my piano and passed my first one along to the next newcomer:)so i guess my favorite pianist would have to be the sound of the piano:) and whoever could make music on it i admire and admired!!! so i guess all of you:)

Re: Who is your favorite pianist? - 05/19/06 07:23 PM

Here is a terrific example of the genius of Chick Corea and the musicians he surrounds himself with. Incredible playing and mastery of the keyboard, which, in this case, is a synthesizer. He has equally incredible technique on the acoustic piano.

Chick Corea - Got A Match?

Re: Who is your favorite pianist? - 05/19/06 07:28 PM

Here is an equally amazing example in the Classical Piano realm. The incomparable Dubravka Tomsic....Chopin as it was meant to be played.

Dubravka Tomsic - Chopin Piano Concerto #2, Second Movement
Posted by: geek in the pink

Re: Who is your favorite pianist? - 05/19/06 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CC2 and Chopin lover:
Here is a terrific example of the genius of Chick Corea and the musicians he surrounds himself with. Incredible playing and mastery of the keyboard, which, in this case, is a synthesizer. He has equally incredible technique on the acoustic piano.

Chick Corea - Got A Match? [/b]
Chick Corea is awesome, here's a vid of his:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbfwJI5V00o

And here's a very rare recording of Art Tatum playing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYcmWIrtK-E
Posted by: loveschopintoomuch

Re: Who is your favorite pianist? - 05/19/06 08:15 PM

THAT is the MOST \:\) \:\) beautiful piece of music EVER written. Bar NONE, IMHO, that is.

Thank you Chopin Lover for putting a perfect end to a not-too-perfect day.

Kathleen

Re: Who is your favorite pianist? - 05/19/06 08:28 PM

Geek, that was Phenomenal!!! Thanks for showing everyone why Chick is my, and many others, alltime favorite. It's great to see him mastering that big acoustic. What an incredible genius that man is, not to mention his composing!!! And for those of you who would like to know what that "Yamaha Sound" is that everyone here on this forum is always referring to, the piano Chick is playing on this video is a great example of it.

Re: Who is your favorite pianist? - 05/19/06 08:29 PM

You are most assuredly welcome Kathleen. Thanks for taking the time to listen, and I hope tomorrow is better for you.
Posted by: Sonata

Re: Who is your favorite pianist? - 05/19/06 09:08 PM

Tea Kalandadze, because no one know about him/her, and I can't find any informantion from everywhere. But.. Tea plays excellently!!

AND: Dubravke Tomsic
AND: All of other classical pianists \:\)

Re: Who is your favorite pianist? - 05/19/06 09:22 PM

Now he sings now he sobs is one of my favourite albums! (After EG's Concert by the sea of course!)
Posted by: psychopianoman

Re: Who is your favorite pianist? - 05/19/06 09:23 PM

My favorite was George Winston and Yann Tiersen but I have been taken over by David Nevue.

David Nevue rocks. You can check him out at www.davidnevue.com
Posted by: I'm Liszt's coffee pal.

Re: Who is your favorite pianist? - 05/19/06 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Debussy20:
I like the 5 browns. If you haven't heard of them, they are a family of 5 that all play together. They are really good. I also like Lang Lang.

Debussy 20 [/b]
Ugh I'm sorry but both the 5 Browns and Lang Lang are an insult. I don't think I've heard anything musical from either of them, although I haven't really examined ALL of the 5 Browns so I guess I'm generalizing.

But anyways, favorite pianists...

Tough to say I have a bunch, each for a different reason, but I would have to say either Busoni, Hofmann, Brendel, or Gieseking. Busoni I'm basing off what I've read so that can't really count hahah.
Posted by: rocky

Re: Who is your favorite pianist? - 05/19/06 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by psychopianoman:
My favorite was George Winston and Yann Tiersen but I have been taken over by David Nevue.

David Nevue rocks. You can check him out at www.davidnevue.com [/b]
I really like David Nevue also, and some of his pieces are easy enough for me to actually play, at least in my own way \:\)

Re: Who is your favorite pianist? - 05/19/06 09:48 PM

Great music Chopinlover, hadn't listened to a nocturne for a long time, but I've not heard it played like that before either!

Geek, Awesome videos!

Hope tomorrow's a better day for you Kathleen \:\)
Posted by: pianokeys1000

Re: Who is your favorite pianist? - 05/19/06 10:26 PM

Bill Evans...for his beauty.

Honorable mention: Mccoy Tyner, Jessica Williams.

Ryan

Re: Who is your favorite pianist? - 05/20/06 05:34 AM

Pianoga,
Glad you liked the Chopin, but it was not a Nocturne. It was actually mislabeled on the CD. The piece is the second movement of Chopin's Second Piano Concerto. I agree that Geeks videos are awesome. Have a great day.

Re: Who is your favorite pianist? - 05/20/06 06:42 AM

I see a few 'YouTubes' being posted, so please don't mind if I add one myself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9jJEFfyayU&search=la%20campanella

This is Yundi Li playing 'La Campanella' as an encore - and it is fantastic!! \:\)

Edit: actually, "fantastic" doesn't quite cut it. Jawdropping? Thats probably more like it ;\)

Re: Who is your favorite pianist? - 05/20/06 07:03 AM

Chopin lover, that 'll teach me posting at 2:48 in the morning! I couldn't sleep because of my shoulder that's playing up and I was browsing the forum and listening to all this excellent stuff. When I went back to bed I thought: there was an orchestra on that Chopin, so it can't have been a nocturne :rolleyes:

Chopin lover, that 'll teach me posting at 2:48 in the morning! I couldn't sleep because of my shoulder that's playing up and I was browsing the forum and listening to all this excellent stuff. When I went back to bed I thought: there was an orchestra on that Chopin, so it wasn't a nocturne. The bit below is about ALL the chopin I've ever been able to play, and I can't use my left hand at the moment! I don't even remember which nocturne it is, I had piano lessons when a teenager and all I ever did between lessons was struggle with the first page and a half of this nocturne my dad was working on. No wonder he stopped playing for my lessons...

chopinsky by Pianoga\'s RH!
This is the first bit of music I post on PW, I can hardly believe I managed to record it and upload it in less than 30 minutes!

Re: Who is your favorite pianist? - 05/20/06 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by loveschopintoomuch:
Boy, am I out of touch!

Vladimir Ashkenazy (alive and wel, I hope).
[/b]
He was conducting in Glasgow 12 days ago:
"in the fourth movement, Ashkenazy's unorthodox conducting secured from the student orchestra a performance of blazing incandescence that would have had seasoned professionals green with envy. Extraordinary."
but he's only 69!

Re: Who is your favorite pianist? - 05/20/06 09:37 AM

Euan,
Thanks for sharing that video of Yundi. It was truly spectacular!!! Those trills and his finger speed and accuracy are inhuman!!!
Posted by: angelojf

Re: Who is your favorite pianist? - 05/20/06 09:39 AM

Scott Joplin
Elton John
Fats Waller
Billy Joel

Re: Who is your favorite pianist? - 05/20/06 11:07 AM

oops...
Posted by: Kawaigirl1

Re: Who is your favorite pianist? - 05/21/06 12:03 AM

hmmm....i think i would have to say my favorite pianists would be:
david lanz, jim brickma, david nevue, einuadi, & frank mills (in no particular order)