What does this mean???

Posted by: BarbVA

What does this mean??? - 01/17/09 12:01 AM

First I want to apologize if this is too simple, but I've only had one lesson:

8va both hands--------------------------

I don't have another lesson until the 28th and I almost have the song down except the last line that says that, and I dont' want to wait almost 2 weeks to finish it. Thanks in advance!
Posted by: Paul Kolodner

Re: What does this mean??? - 01/17/09 12:09 AM

8va on the upper staff means play the notes 1 octave higher than written. On the lower staff, it means play them 1 octave lower. You follow this recipe for as long as the dashes extend. In your case, if the instruction is given for both hands and it appears above the upper staff, I think it means that both hands play one octave higher than written. Does that make sense?
Posted by: charleslang

Re: What does this mean??? - 01/17/09 12:10 AM

It means play as written but one octave higher than written.
Posted by: BarbVA

Re: What does this mean??? - 01/17/09 12:11 AM

Thank you both sooo much!
Posted by: TrapperJohn

Re: What does this mean??? - 01/17/09 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Kolodner:
8va on the upper staff means play the notes 1 octave higher than written. On the lower staff, it means play them 1 octave lower. [/b]
Paul - 8va on the bass (lower) staff also means to play the notes an octave higher than written.

The symbol 8vb [/b] is often used to indicate playing an octave lower .

Typically when a composer or editor specifies "8va both hands" it's shown above the treble staff; in such cases an "8va" by itself (without the words "both hands") would apply only to the staff above which it's shown (usually the treble staff).

Regards, JF
Posted by: Paul Kolodner

Re: What does this mean??? - 01/17/09 09:38 AM

Ewps - you're right, it's 8bv when you want to go down under.
Posted by: Evaldas

Re: What does this mean??? - 01/17/09 12:44 PM

By the way how would you describe this piece? For begginer, intermediate or advanded? Or whatever..?