Hi and Introduction

Posted by: DaveInMichigan

Hi and Introduction - 01/25/09 10:41 AM

Hi, I have joined this forum for about a week now. I guess it is time for me to make an introduction.

I studied electronic organ when I was in high school, and then took 2 semesters of piano in college, and then didn't continue with any formal lessons. I did continue to play from time to time, and because of my engineering background, I like the theoretical stuffs, so I read on music theory, arrangement, improvisation and composition and those types of things (although I didn't do it very systematically or consistently).

At 48 now, I am restarting my piano playing. But I am also restarting my drawing and painting. Both fine arts and music requires a lot of attention and discipline, so I am not sure which way I will go more. More likely arts. It is hard to choose but if I compare, I think I like arts a little better than music.

Another thing is although both arts and music are difficult, painting in most cases/situations is not performing arts, so in that sense at least it is a little "easier." If a piece fails, you throw it away and do another one and no one even knows.

But I do want to get more serious in classical music and hopefully build up some repertoire. I also play hymns.

It is nice to be here. I am receiving a lot of help already!
Posted by: epf

Re: Hi and Introduction - 01/25/09 10:53 AM

Dave,

Welcome to the forum! We hope to hear some of your music here (perhaps in the ABF recitals).

Ed
Posted by: NancyM333

Re: Hi and Introduction - 01/25/09 03:36 PM

Welcome, Dave. We're about the same age, and I rarely see people my age take up a hobby. It's amazing how many people think they don't have time or talent for it! What inspired you to start back with the arts?

Nancy

Re: Hi and Introduction - 01/25/09 07:28 PM

Ed and Nancy, thanks for the welcome!

Nancy, about arts, even more so than music, I never completely left it. I just never had time to create arts. The fortunate thing for me is that I seem to be able to separate the technical part and the artist/expressive part, so while I didn't have time to paint, I did take classes in drawing, advanced drawing, panting, printmaking, design, etc. etc. I also studied color theories, composition, on my own.

To make the story short, one can say in some sense I gave up my music and arts for God (or some would call it my religion). I know this is not a religion forum, so I won't into any details, but beside my engineering works, I also went to seminary and got a degree, and since I served in a small Church without a pastor, and since I had a degree, I almost worked like an acting pastor (all without any compensation), and that took a lot of my time (because I still had/have my full-time job as as engineer).

I do not regret that and am very happy that I served that way, but near the end of last year, our Church finally had a full-time pastor, and I suddenly have much more time, so I am getting back to arts and music.

With arts, once I organized my working space, I have pretty much confidence that I can create art works that is far beyond student works, probably better than arts school graduates (except for exceptional ones), but I certainly cannot say that for piano.

So for the arts, I guess it is not completely re-picking up but just finding time to create them now. \:\)
Posted by: TrapperJohn

Re: Hi and Introduction - 01/26/09 05:57 AM

Dave - welcome (again) - sorry that Alfred 3 wasn't right for you, but I understand - hope you find the hymn collection I recommended to your liking.

And hoping to hear some selections from it and other pieces here in the ABF Recitals eventually!

Regards, JF

Re: Hi and Introduction - 01/26/09 09:20 AM

JF, thanks for the welcome (again). :-)

Alfred 3 might be about my level. I just haven't posted much because I am new and still in the process of picking up piano again, so I thought I wouldn't post too much.
Posted by: Monica K.

Re: Hi and Introduction - 01/26/09 09:41 AM

Welcome to the forum, Dave! \:\)

I have recently been enjoying playing some hymns arranged by David Nevue. He has some lovely arrangements in a new age style, rather new and different than the standard traditional take on hymns. You can listen to them and see sample pages of the sheet music on his website: www.davidnevue.com

Check out the pieces on his "Adoration" album in particular.
Posted by: luvrofkeys

Re: Hi and Introduction - 01/26/09 10:17 AM

Dave, we welcome you to the site.

Monica K.,
I too enjoy works by David nevue; actually, you can say I'm a huge fan. It's funny, i'm a newbie on 88 keys and I already have about 11 of his sheets. His music has feelings and I guess that's what grabbed my attention.