The 11th World Famous ABF Recital...

Posted by: dannylux

The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 07/15/08 09:22 AM

is coming soon to a computer near you.

Yes, on August 15, 2008 we will have our 11th World Famous ABF Online Recital.

Our dear Monica will be posting a thread requesting submissions of pieces (songs ;\) ) on August 1.

The deadline for sending in pieces is August 14, at 9:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time.

For our European friends, that's August 15 at 01:00 Greenwich Mean Time.

So how are your pieces coming along?

It's looking like my primary piece, Mischa Levitzki's Arabesque Valsante won't be ready, so I'm concentrating on Manuel Maria Ponce's Guateque and Vasily Kalinnikov's Moderato in e flat minor.

Right now I'm leaning more towards the joyful Guateque than the somber Moderato.

Please note that newcomers are especially invited to submit a piece.

And please don't be frightened into not submitting something by some of our more advanced pianists.

We LOVE to hear newcomers play.

Mel
Posted by: Euan Morrison

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 07/15/08 09:27 AM

Brilliant, looking forward to it.

Am in the middle of moving home, so won't be submitting anything until right near the deadline.

Wonder if we can beat the submission record?
Posted by: LaValse

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 07/15/08 09:30 AM

I don't think my piece - James Horner's "The Portrait" (from the film Titanic) - will be ready either so I may fall back on something I've posted in the piano bars previously...
Posted by: Triryche

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 07/15/08 09:33 AM

:PANIC:

You had to go there, didn’t you !!?? \:D

I doubt I will be ready in time,
I am working on Twinkle, Twinkle from David Nevue, figuring it would be appropriate as the 11th ABF is in mid August, approximately when the Perseid meteor shower peaks. Oh well, I may have to wait ‘til the 15th ABF.

Now to come up with a back-up plan!!
Posted by: Mati

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 07/15/08 09:37 AM

Summer holidays caught me here, so I won't be able to sumbit anything fresh and spectacular. I'm having something under my fingers for the recital - it is very often played, very weel known, yet very fascinating and difficult. Won't share what it is until the Hour of Truth \:D

Best wishes,
Mateusz

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 07/15/08 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mati:
I'm having something under my fingers for the recital - it is very often played, very weel known, yet very fascinating and difficult.
[/b]
A piano \:\)

(sorry)
Posted by: mahlzeit

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 07/15/08 12:20 PM

Hmm, this reminds me that I still have to add some of those feature requests to the submission software. \:D
Posted by: Monica K.

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 07/15/08 12:26 PM

I contacted my tech weeks ago to arrange some voicing and a tuning and he said he'd get me on the schedule "soon." I may have to start battling the Red Dot without it.

Just a gentle warning about the deadline... the way mahlzeit's program works, I can't start any of the work on the recital without closing it, and once it's closed, no submissions can be added. Last time I had to give the unhappy news to someone who was ten minutes late that it just wasn't feasible to add them in. \:\( So why don't y'all pretend that the deadline is *really* 8:00 pm? \:D
Posted by: Muzak

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 07/15/08 12:41 PM

Well folks, I think it may be time for me to participate in my first recital \:D

It'll be at right about my 3 month mark, I figure that's a good time to start.....have a piece I've been working on for a couple weeks, was going to record it and throw it in the piano bar but maybe I'll just hold off and save it for my first official (online) recital woo hoo!

Zak

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 07/15/08 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mahlzeit:
Hmm, this reminds me that I still have to add some of those feature requests to the submission software. \:D [/b]
Oops, you need to test it too - we upgraded to the latest PHP last week... Sorry, forgot to mention it...
Posted by: Triryche

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 07/15/08 01:07 PM

Quote:
Hmm, this reminds me that I still have to add some of those feature requests to the submission software. \:D [/b]
mahlzeit ,

Could you please add an Auto-Note-Correction feature?? :p (I could really use it!!)
Posted by: Mr Super-Hunky

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 07/15/08 02:24 PM

I change my mind on a daily basis on what to play. This time, instead of hacking up someone elses music, I think I may submit an original piece which is something I have been working on.

This way, someone can take my piece and rearrange it and *I* will be the one asking "what the heck did you do to my song"!
Posted by: Rosanna

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 07/15/08 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Muzak:
Well folks, I think it may be time for me to participate in my first recital \:D
[/b]
Zak, look forward to hearing you.

Dang, that means I have to choose some tune to spiff up for recording...
Posted by: TrapperJohn

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 07/15/08 09:36 PM

Rosanna - here's another pressure-inducing gentle nudge ;\) Get spiffing! \:\)

I'm sure that whatever you come up with will be throughly listenable.

Regards, JF

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 07/15/08 10:08 PM

JohnFrank,
I am going to ignore you for your nudges. \:D
Posted by: Serge88

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 07/15/08 11:32 PM

In a month?

I think I will submit a Beatles song if I have time to learn it.

Serge

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 07/15/08 11:58 PM

Originally posted by Serge88:
In a month?[/b]

Gates open in 2 weeks actually. Get busy! \:D
Posted by: sleepingcats

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 07/16/08 01:16 AM

I'm going to try.......

I'm getting a Dampp-Chaser installed in two days, then I'm not supposed to have it tuned for a month after that (which will be after the recital submission due date), so I don't know how my grand piano is going to sound. I'll start practicing on my U1 Disklavier too.
Posted by: jotur

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 07/16/08 01:22 AM

I have to have something ready for a dance Aug 16 so I'll probably enter that. It's either that or something that's really old from my repertoire - it seems like it's only every other recital I can actually get something new ready.

Or - I guess I could post Baby Beluga in different keys - I was working on it for the Learn Away From the Piano thread and the result was that I could actually transpose it! Baby Beluga in the deep blue sea - (how come we don't have music note instant graemlins?) - yeah, that might work -

Cathy
Posted by: bluekeys

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 07/16/08 08:42 AM

For a change I am prepared. \:\) Planning to do Mariage D'Amour by Senneville and Toussant (same one TrueBeginner did for this month's Piano Bar). If all goes well it will include a small improv at the end.

I'm coming for you, Red Dot! You can run, but you cannot hide! :p
Posted by: Theowne

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 07/16/08 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mr_super-hunky:
This way, someone can take my piece and rearrange it and *I* will be the one asking "what the heck did you do to my song"! [/b]
I hereby volunteer in advance ;\)

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 07/16/08 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LaValse:
Oops, you need to test it too - we upgraded to the latest PHP last week... Sorry, forgot to mention it... [/b]
Sure, the testing will be from Aug 1 until Aug 15, ha ha. \:\) Why test when you can have users do that for you? \:D
Posted by: Manndrew

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 07/16/08 01:44 PM

I've been working on Bridge Over Troubled Water and it definitely is giving me trouble (sorry, I couln't resist). I start off nice and slow with the intro, but about half way through it starts taking off like a freight train. I can't seem to reign it in. It gets louder and louder and faster and faster. Just like "lions and tigers and bears, oh my....." By the time I've finished the last chord I feel like I've played a tune Baron Von Frankenstein would have been proud of. A bit of this, and a bit of that all sutured together to form a nameless monster. I'll give it some more time and try to smooth it out or else I'll serve it up to the Bergermeister and the crazed villagers.
Posted by: YD

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 07/16/08 03:46 PM

Just came back from vacation yesterday, and see that the recital is a month from now... Don't have anything ready; I am kind of tired of running a romantic marathon though, maybe I'll do something classical for a change... Mozart..? Suggestions, anybody?

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 07/16/08 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by YD:
Just came back from vacation yesterday, and see that the recital is a month from now... Don't have anything ready; I am kind of tired of running a romantic marathon though, maybe I'll do something classical for a change... Mozart..? Suggestions, anybody? [/b]
For a REAL change, you can play us some boogie woogie!! \:D
Hope you had a good vacation.
Posted by: YD

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 07/16/08 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rosanna:
 Quote:
Originally posted by YD:
Just came back from vacation yesterday, and see that the recital is a month from now... Don't have anything ready; I am kind of tired of running a romantic marathon though, maybe I'll do something classical for a change... Mozart..? Suggestions, anybody? [/b]
For a REAL change, you can play us some boogie woogie!! \:D [/b]
I'd played in a rock'n'roll band but that was 20 years ago when I was a student. Now it would be totally out of character...
 Quote:
Hope you had a good vacation. [/b]
Thanx; in fact, unbelievably good; we traveled all over Brazil - I may post some pictures in the OT thread later this week \:\)
Posted by: Lisztener

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 07/16/08 04:24 PM

I'll be entering my first improv. Although I know nothing about the proper construction of improv pieces, I'm using the "hunt and peck" method to put together a "pop" song that really caught my fancy. The last I played around with improvising was with "Blue Moon" and "Heart and Soul" when I was a young teenager.
Posted by: epf

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 07/17/08 12:09 AM

Quote:
 Quote:
Originally posted by LaValse:
Oops, you need to test it too - we upgraded to the latest PHP last week... Sorry, forgot to mention it... [/b]
Sure, the testing will be from Aug 1 until Aug 15, ha ha. \:\) Why test when you can have users do that for you? \:D [/b]
That's a time honored tradition: if it works it's production, if it doesn't then it was a test.

Ed
Posted by: Ozor Mox

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 07/17/08 09:36 PM

In each of the last few recitals I've really wanted to make a submission, but the deadline has been bang in the middle of either hideous amounts of coursework or exam finals! I've finished uni now though, and I'm damned if I'm not going to make this one!

Looking to hopefully submit Chopin's Waltz Op. 64 No. 1, also known as Minute Waltz or Petit Chien.
Posted by: epf

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 07/18/08 11:04 AM

Well, I figured out what I'm going to submit -- something a little different for me (i.e., not classical and my own arrangement). This time I'll make sure there are at least FOUR notes!

Ed

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 07/22/08 12:55 PM

*bump* just to make some folks nervous... \:D

And my tech is scheduled to come out this Thursday to tune and voice my piano! So this weekend I'm banishing the children outside and going at it hot and heavy with the Zoom.

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 07/22/08 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Monica K.:
So this weekend I'm banishing the children outside and going at it hot and heavy with the Zoom. [/b]
Monica - can one safely assume that the "Zoom" is an audio recording device?

Regards, JF

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 07/25/08 11:14 AM

JohnFrank: \:D \:D

Oh boy, my tech left yesterday and I absolutely LOVE how my piano is sounding. My kids had better pray for good weather this weekend because they'll be spending most of it outside while I'm recording! If they're well-behaved I'll even set out a bowl of water for them!

...all of which is another way of saying "bump." One week until the recital opens...

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 07/25/08 12:23 PM

Heh, still have to update the software. \:\)

Oh, and to think of something to perform. That would be good too.
Posted by: (Was)TrueBeginner

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 07/25/08 12:49 PM

Hey, I just got back from my 2 weeks vacation ( without practicing piano \:\( ). The first time I played again, it was like relearning the pieces and this thread is adding pressure (and Monica kept bumping it to the first page). I am currently polishing my 2 new pieces so I will see which one is better to submit to the recital, the other one I will use to participate in the next month piano bar. So this weekend is critical for me and you guys will definitely hear "a lot of clunkers" from me in this recital as I won't have time to play with "red dot" much.

TB

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 07/25/08 03:38 PM

Monica,

I can hardly wait to hear you play on your freshly tuned and "voiced" piano. Is this the first voicing you've had done to your piano? Having mine voiced was the best enhancement to the overall sound of my piano of anything else done to it since I've owned it...other than regular tunings.

I'm happy for you and I'm sure that the others in your fan base will be as happy as me.

Warm regards, \:D

Lisztener

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 07/25/08 04:01 PM

This is the second real voicing the piano has had; it's been about two years since the last voicing, and some of the high notes were getting rather shrill, and the bass notes had a few high ringing overtones. Now it sounds overall much mellower.

If I have time, I'll start a thread where I post "before and after" recordings of the same snippet of music and see whether anybody else can tell a difference.

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 07/25/08 04:36 PM

Great idea, Monica,

I forgot to ask if this was a needle voicing, or did your tech take your keys out of your piano and sand the faces of the hammers?

I had difficulties with keys that were too loud compared to their neighbors. My tech put a painter's drop cloth over the piano bench and the surrounding floor, then proceeded to remove the keys from the piano and place them on the bench to sandpaper the hammers. After replacing the hammers, he fine tuned with the needles to make the key strikes more uniform in volume for the same pressure applied to each. Since that "major" voicing, my tech continues to needle the necessary keys to keep the touch uniform each time he tunes the piano. He said that after three years, depending on amount of use, we'll consider another major voicing.

Regardless of how your tech voiced your piano, I'm delighted that you can discern an audible difference. \:D

Enjoy...enjoy...enjoy!

Best regards,

Lisztener

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 07/25/08 05:00 PM

He was definitely sanding the hammers... I didn't see any needling, but that could've happened when I wasn't looking. He also did something that involved taking a hammer and whacking away on the bridge (well, "tapping delicately" is perhaps a better way to put it)... levelling the strings, perhaps?

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 07/26/08 06:41 AM

OK, folks. I have updated the recital submission software with a few small new features.

The performer's name will be written in bold text, and there is a field for entering your location so we know where you're from. Also, the duration of the pieces is now automatically calculated from the MP3.

I also made some other changes that you won't see -- until they break something. So when you are submitting your MP3 for the recital and you find something strange, send me or Monica a PM. \:\)
Posted by: Les Koltvedt

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 07/26/08 02:32 PM

Quote:
He was definitely sanding the hammers... I didn't see any needling, but that could've happened when I wasn't looking. He also did something that involved taking a hammer and whacking away on the bridge (well, "tapping delicately" is perhaps a better way to put it)... levelling the strings, perhaps? [/b]
I believe he was making sure the strings were seated at the bottom of the bridge pins. This allows the string to terminate precisely at the bridge pin and bridge. That makes sure that all the strings for that note are all the same length, or as close as design allows. If you look close enough, you'll notice that the pins are at a slight angle, this helps to hold the string down against the bridge. You can also look straight down on the 3 pins and see that the notch in the bridge intersects the centers of the pins (they should be very close) that's a sign of a quality piano.
...disclaimer...not a tech in anyones mind but my own....

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 07/26/08 04:17 PM

Quote:
OK, folks. I have updated the recital submission software with a few small new features.
[/b]
Mahlzeit,
you are awesome! Thanks for doing all this.

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 07/26/08 04:38 PM

Monica:

I think I once posted that when my M&H was brand new, it played like a truck! \:\( .

VERY heavy-sluggish action. Come to think of it, many of the M&H pianos I played were like that and the dealers told me that it could easily be changed with some action work and teflon dust lubrication (amongst a host of other little tricks/tweeks). Apparantly many good pianists like the heavier action so they have more control over the keys and not just loose slop!

After a day with a good tech, my piano played like an absolute dream.

With the extreme humidity we are having now due to the monsoon season, I am expecting things to possibly get a bit sour but so far so good.

I don't want to tune the piano now knowing that our humidity levels will go to almost nothing in just another month so I'm going to wait.

Most everyone else will probably be in a different situation since they will most likely have a more constant humidity level.

The difference my tech made on my piano was literally taking an instrument I could barely play to making it a fine tuned race car!.

There is no reason to pay an exorbitant amount of money for an over priced tech but a good one will be worth every penny.

BTW, this upcoming recital I will finally be submitting a 100% originally composed piece. I figure I've hacked up everyone elses music so much that it's about time to "put up or shut up"!.

A good improviser should be able to compose their own music at this point. I don't want to be called a "poser"!! ;\) .

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 07/26/08 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mr_super-hunky:
BTW, this upcoming recital I will finally be submitting a 100% originally composed piece. [/b]
This is going to be one that I abuse my admin privileges on and cheat and listen to early. \:\)

I banished the kids to their rooms today (too hot to chain them outside, alas), and got one usable take of a piece that I feel happy about.

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 07/26/08 05:02 PM

Haha.

Hey, a good tip would be to use some type of soft rope to tie up your kids as it leaves less marks than chains \:D .

Also, some dry toast and a water bucket is really all they need for the day. (plenty of starch easily converts to glucose for energy) and their electrolytes should be fine as long as you tie them up under a shade tree.

The threat of a good spanking should also keep them quiet and I don't think child protective services even answers the phones on the weekends so you should fine for a least a few hours :p .
Posted by: SAnnM AB-2001

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 07/26/08 05:20 PM

Mr S.H... \:D \:D \:D

Monica, Whenever I read posts about children interferring with practice or recording I am reminded that I have absolutely no excuses. My three boys are all grown up and one even has a child of his own!! How do you do it???

I have three little Christopher Norton pieces almost ready.... my summercamp is off this year so I've been mindlessly 'playing' with non classical pieces (shhhhh don't tell my teacher).. although I have been trying to bring Moonlight back....Would that be too boring for a recital????

I also haven't turned on my metronome, practiced scales or any of the technical exercises he left me with......tsk tsk..... I've still got 4 weeks before my next lesson ... maybe I'll cram :p
Posted by: ted.stanion

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 07/26/08 11:36 PM

Unless I get a decent recording today or tomorrow, I may have to skip this one. On Monday we're off for a week in the San Juans with no piano in sight. I'll be back for four days before we go off to the Sierras for another week.

Ted
Posted by: Strat

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 07/27/08 04:57 AM

Count me in! I'm working on finalizing a Final Fantasy piece (from FF X-2) called Wind Crest. It's especially not easy for me given my skill level right now, but I've been working on it for months and it's almost ready. I'm confident I'll have something to show for all those hours of effort & practice come August 15th. \:D
Posted by: Copper

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 07/27/08 11:11 AM

3 months used to be a long time.

I'll be there.
Posted by: Ovaltine

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 07/27/08 11:12 AM

I can't turn in the piece I've been working, I don't think it'll be ready. Maybe I'll go to an old standby that I just need to polish a bit...

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 07/27/08 11:19 AM

Typical - you decide on a piece, work on it until it's almost ready, and then you hear something else which makes you think "i want to play that one instead!"
Posted by: AnthonyB

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 07/27/08 01:21 PM

I had a fairly decent recording going when my 92 year old step grandmother I'm watching this month called me from the other room. Oh well. \:\)

She can hardly hear (even with the hearing aids she has) and can barely see so she doesn't even likely know when I'm playing my digital piano from my bedroom.

Hopefully I'll be able to get a good recording at some point without being interrupted. If it's any consolation I did play the tricky parts fairly well the next few times through without the recorder turned on (I was just practicing those spots). That's something I've not been able to do too many times as of yet.
Posted by: billyshears66

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 07/29/08 07:49 AM

At the end of the last recital, I had a great plan to learn a piece "as written" instead of playing something on the fly, by ear. I picked out my piece, and jumped right into it... summer got in the way, and I only have half of it... so, it may end up only partly finished if I can't get my behind in gear to sit and learn some more (yard work never ends!!!)
Posted by: Mark...

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 07/31/08 01:58 PM

I'm ready... \:D

But I almost punched out the "Red Dot" \:\)
Posted by: Piano Again

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 07/31/08 05:55 PM

My piano is not in tune, but talk about humidity fluctuations ... July in DC? Even though I keep the room at ~50%.

I have missed the last two recitals, but I'm determined to submit something for this one. I'll work on it tonight.
Posted by: Theowne

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 07/31/08 06:21 PM

Okay, I will submit Ravel's "Sonatine", first movement.
Posted by: Ken.

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 08/01/08 07:20 PM

I will try to submit a couple of short pieces that I played at my 1st recital recently. It didn't go as well as I hoped, so this will be my second chance \:\)

Soldier's March, Op.68 No.2 (Schumman)
German Dance in Amaj, WoO 13 No.11 (Beethoven)
Posted by: cscl

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 08/04/08 10:41 PM

I spent some serious time with the old red dot today but I still don't quite have something I'd like to submit. I'm waffling between submitting Grieg's Waltz (Op. 12, No. 2) and the first movement of Clementi's Sonatina in C (Op. 36, No. 3). Any requests?
Posted by: angelojf

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 08/05/08 08:19 AM

Looks like only me and Serge so far are representing the Beatles.....
Posted by: BillM

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 08/05/08 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by angelojf:
Looks like only me and Serge so far are representing the Beatles..... [/b]
angelojf[/b] - Here Comes the Sun is one of my favorite tunes. I can't wait to hear your version.

I was watching "The Bee Movie" last night (the animated Jerry Seinfeld movie) and the movie closed with a pretty good version of Here Comes the Sun.
Posted by: Manndrew

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 08/05/08 12:28 PM

We just celebrated my daughter's wedding and had a fabulous time. Haven't had much opportunity to practice, but I hope to submit either "Crazy" or "Bridge Over Troubled Water."

If anyone is looking for a great band for a function I highly recommend "Clockwork" if you're in the New England area. They were exceptional. They have a website to check out their sample songs. They really made the whole evening unforgettable. PM me if you won't any other details.

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 08/05/08 12:40 PM

Mark - you could bust your hand punching out the red light then you'll be playing one of those rare left-hand-only pieces in the next couple of Recitals (yes, there actualy are some).

csci - no waffling - that's for politicians only - and you don't want to sink that low!

Euan - this delicacy called "haggis" you keep extolling - is it best when served rare, medium or well done?; what wine goes with that? and is it available in the States or only in Scotland?

Also - does anyone have Monica's "magic code"? I'd like to substitute a Jerry Lee Lewis tune for her usual Einaudi selection in the recital - she needs to get away from those lovely, but mellow, New Age pieces and "rock" a little more now and then.

Regards, JF

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 08/05/08 12:52 PM

I have to say that I have once again been shamelessly abusing my admin privileges and listening to some of the pieces as they filter in, and all I will say is that this is going to be a fine recital indeed.

In fact, I liked Euan's piece so much I hunted down the sheet music and have been practicing it obsessively the last two days.

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 08/05/08 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by John Frank:

Euan - this delicacy called "haggis" you keep extolling - is it best when served rare, medium or well done?; what wine goes with that? and is it available in the States or only in Scotland?

Regards, JF [/b]
Hi JF,

Firstly, I don't have any personal photos from Loch Lomond (mentioned on the other thread). There are plenty on google, but I still think it looks nicer when you are there \:\)

As for haggis, you are better just following the instructions that come with it (it's not a single cut of meat, so it's more like "cook for x amount of minutes" rather than cooking to taste).

You might be interested to note that haggis might not be widely available - the US government put a ban on the traditional product due to some of the ingredients!

However, there are a couple here:
http://www.caledoniankitchen.com/catalog/
[although they are quite expensive!!]

If you do get one, just be sure to get some turnip and mashed potato to go with it ('neeps and tatties')

As for wine, probably something red and full-bodied. Or some malt whisky?

Good luck!
Euan.

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 08/05/08 12:59 PM

Quote:

In fact, I liked Euan's piece so much I hunted down the sheet music and have been practicing it obsessively the last two days. [/b]
Well, if you fancy recording that one yourself (and follow JF's advice to ditch Einaudi, feel free.

I can get something else done in time. It's not exactly rocking like Jerry Lee, but you obviously like it very much!

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 08/05/08 01:06 PM

Oh no, Euan... there's no way I'd have it ready and up to tempo and Red Dot standards by the 15th. Besides, I don't want to give up my coveted #3 spot. \:D

Besides, I know how much JohnFrank is looking forward to my Einaudi piece and wouldn't want to let him down... :p

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 08/05/08 01:31 PM

Well, if you change your mind - I'm about to 'downgrade' my piece to the bar, so it's yours.

[You can alway "abuse" your admin powers and keep at position 3!]
Posted by: DragonPianoPlayer

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 08/05/08 02:16 PM

I believe that we have a Scottish Festival this coming weekend here in the Denver area. If you really want some haggis, you might be able to find some there. \:D

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 08/05/08 02:29 PM

Quote:
Get your haggis, right here! Chopped heart and lungs boiled in a wee sheep's stomach! Tastes as good as it sounds!
I hope I'm not disclosing any state secrets here, but I was watching some mindless TV the other day, and what should I hear, but that very quote. Like much of the wit and wisdom of our era, it's from The Simpsons. Groundskeeper Willie has a booth at a carnival where he is selling haggis for 50 cents and that's what he says.

Simpson\'s Script Link

My hat's off to Euan for taking a throw-away line from a TV show and creating one of the most memorable sig lines on PW!

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 08/05/08 03:19 PM

Quote:

I have to say that I have once again been shamelessly abusing my admin privileges and listening to some of the pieces as they filter in [/b]
Tssk, tssk.

And no fair! Can I report this to our moderators? \:\)

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 08/05/08 04:48 PM

Bluekeys - very good, you got me! I should really give credit to G.Willie for such a good line, however!

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 08/05/08 05:43 PM

Willie gets some of my favorite lines. Here is another:
 Quote:
Brothers and sisters are natural enemies. Like Englishmen and Scots! Or Welshmen and Scots! Or Japanese and Scots! Or Scots and other Scots! Damn Scots! They ruined Scotland!
And I'm allowed to say that. Here are my Coat of Arms and Tartan:

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 08/05/08 05:55 PM

Quote:

Besides, I know how much JohnFrank is looking forward to my Einaudi piece and wouldn't want to let him down... :p [/b]
Monica - I actually am looking forward to hearing your Einaudi piece in the Recital - don't let this get out but I'm really a "closet New Age fan" (have been ever since I heard some David Lanz stuff more than a decade ago, and some of the more recent offerings of Keiko Matsui) - and while Einaudi is certainly no Jerry Lee Lewis ;\) , he is very talented and listenable in his own right - and your previous interpretations of his work are exceptional in appeal and execution.

So, please don't accept Euan's offer - he seems far too anxious to "dump" the piece :p

Regards (and enjoy the haggis everyone!) JF

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 08/05/08 06:56 PM

Quote:

I have to say that I have once again been shamelessly abusing my admin privileges and listening to some of the pieces as they filter in, and all I will say is that this is going to be a fine recital indeed.

[/b]
What is the record for submissions and are we going to top it this quarter?

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 08/05/08 08:18 PM

Bluekeys,
Wow, your tartan is EXACTLY the one on the kilt I wore for high school! What Clan is that?
Posted by: IrishMak

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 08/05/08 08:29 PM

Quote:
Bluekeys,
Wow, your tartan is EXACTLY the one on the kilt I wore for high school! What Clan is that? [/b]
'Tis Davidson, no?

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 08/05/08 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark...:
What is the record for submissions and are we going to top it this quarter? [/b]
The record is Recital #10, with 63 submissions. We currently have 32 with 9 days to go... I couldn't guess as to whether we'll beat it or not. On the one hand, it's summer, so maybe people have more time to fool around with the Red Dot. On the other hand, it's summer, so maybe people are too busy with vacation or back to school stuff. Maybe we should start a pool. I'll guess 65. \:D

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 08/05/08 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by IrishMak:
 Quote:
Bluekeys,
Wow, your tartan is EXACTLY the one on the kilt I wore for high school! What Clan is that? [/b]
'Tis Davidson, no? [/b]
Aye! Looks like I've been unkilted. \:D But luckily my highland heritage comes from my mother's side, so my anonymity remains intact. ;\)

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 08/06/08 07:21 AM

Rosanna - so as not to disappoint you (because I know you're counting on getting these from me) please consider this as your official "gentle nudge" of encouragement for submitting one of your always tasteful and well-executed selections to the upcoming 11th ABF Recital - you don't want to disappoint your fans (one of whom am I (is me?)) \:\)

Regards (with sincere entreaties), JF

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 08/06/08 09:24 AM

Quote:
don't let this get out but I'm really a "closet New Age fan" [/b]
hee hee... I knew it. I'm betting you have an 18" x 24" poster of Einaudi hung over your piano, too. \:D

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 08/06/08 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bluekeys:
 Quote:
Originally posted by IrishMak:
['Tis Davidson, no? [/b]
Aye! Looks like I've been unkilted. \:D But luckily my highland heritage comes from my mother's side, so my anonymity remains intact. ;\) [/QB]
I know a Davidson who is quite proud of his Scots ancestry, so I've seen both arms and plaid many time! lol

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 08/06/08 10:08 AM

Quote:
 Quote:
hee hee... I knew it. I'm betting you have an 18" x 24" poster of Einaudi hung over your piano, too. \:D [/b]
Far better than that - it's of you in an enraptured state playing Einaudi :p - my inspiration! - just kidding, of course, but now that I mention it, I think just about everyone here in the Forums would just love to see that - can your husband or one of your kids (when they're not barfing) capture that for us?

Regards, JF

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 08/06/08 11:27 AM

Quote:
 Quote:
 Quote:
hee hee... I knew it. I'm betting you have an 18" x 24" poster of Einaudi hung over your piano, too. \:D [/b]
Far better than that - it's of you in an enraptured state playing Einaudi :p - my inspiration! - just kidding, of course, but now that I mention it, I think just about everyone here in the Forums would just love to see that - can your husband or one of your kids (when they're not barfing) capture that for us?

Regards, JF [/b]
I just burst out laughing at work whilst reading this.... \:D

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 08/06/08 02:59 PM

Quote:
Rosanna - so as not to disappoint you (because I know you're counting on getting these from me) please consider this as your official "gentle nudge" of encouragement for submitting one of your always tasteful and well-executed selections to the upcoming 11th ABF Recital - you don't want to disappoint your fans (one of whom am I (is me?)) \:\)

Regards (with sincere entreaties), JF [/b]
John Frank,
I shall ignore you. \:\)

Frankly, I don't know if I will submit or not. I thought I would, but I still haven't gotten around to it. A poorly played piece will not only disappoint my fans (ha!), but it would tarnish my reputation, no? (double haha!)

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 08/06/08 04:28 PM

Rosanna,

As Dannylux (Mel) would say, participation is the most important feature of the recitals.

Please reconsider, we'll miss you, terribly, if you're not there.

Sincerely,

Lisztener

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 08/06/08 04:48 PM

Quote:
 Quote:
Or at the very least the highly sought after 8x10 scented glossy of your truly!!.

Oh wait, he's a dude...never mind :p

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 08/06/08 05:07 PM

Rosanna, we all already know you play beautifully! So you can't keep more of that piano goodness away from us! \:\)

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 08/06/08 07:17 PM

How many first time recitalists are we up to?

I'm happily among that group this time.

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 08/06/08 08:38 PM

Malzeit, Lisztener,

Arrggh,I don't need more of you putting on the pressure! Did you come across my recent thread on dreading to go to the piano? We finally "diagnosed" that it's due to an unhealthy internal expectation that I put on myself. Now I have external pressure too. Geeezz!!! I got to go back to the shrink! \:D

(Thanks for your high regards for my playing. \:\) )

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 08/06/08 10:14 PM

Rosanna,

Have we succeeded in making a basket case out of you, yet? If not, we'll continue to apply the pressure, OK?

Could you stand yourself if you knew that not being in the recital would cause hundreds (perhaps multiple hundreds) to sob in sorrow because you failed to enter? Imagine the emotional pain and sorrow you could cause. \:\(

Confess all to your Doc. \:D

Emotionally,

Lisztener
Posted by: Key Notes

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 08/06/08 11:04 PM

Quote:
Malzeit, Lisztener,

Arrggh,I don't need more of you putting on the pressure! Did you come across my recent thread on dreading to go to the piano? We finally "diagnosed" that it's due to an unhealthy internal expectation that I put on myself. Now I have external pressure too. Geeezz!!! I got to go back to the shrink! \:D

(Thanks for your high regards for my playing. \:\) ) [/b]
Sorry Rosanna for adding to the external and in turn internal pressures, but I'll also miss hearing your playing too since I'm also a fan. \:\(

Best Regards,

Key Notes \:\)

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 08/06/08 11:33 PM

Key Notes,

It's great that you chimed in to add more mental turmoil for poor Rosanna.

Rosanna, look with me into the future and feel the anguish you have inflicted upon Key Notes. How can you possibly deny her and the rest of us your valued presence?

[Way to go, Key Notes. We need all the pressure we can find.] \:D

Tearfully,

Lisztener

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 08/06/08 11:58 PM

I'd love for you to submit a piece Rosanna!

You see, I submitted a new recording of my piece today so I'm looking for as many new entries as possible to I won't feel as bad from going from #13 to #34.

OK, so I love listening to all the music that is posted here so that's another reason. I'd also love for the recital to break a new entry record.

Besides, you wouldn't want to hurt the feelings of any of your secret admirers that may be lurking about the forums!

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 08/07/08 07:10 AM

Quote:
John Frank,
I shall ignore you. \:\)

Frankly, I don't know if I will submit or not. I thought I would, but I still haven't gotten around to it. A poorly played piece will not only disappoint my fans (ha!), but it would tarnish my reputation, no? (double haha!) [/b]
Ha! Double haha yourself! - you can't ignore me - I'm too pervasive and persuasive - and besides, you couldn't play a piece poorly if you tried - so, just stop playing "hard to get", get busy working on your selection, and get it submitted - you can thank me now or thank me later for the "nudges" - but you will thank me ;\) - and then we'll all thank you for the joy of listening to your delightful playing

Regards, JF

P.S. as you've seen your fans are waiting in eager anticipation! \:\)

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 08/07/08 08:50 AM

Quote:
Malzeit, Lisztener,

(Thanks for your high regards for my playing. \:\) ) [/b]
Don't let them pressure you, Rosanna! Don't do it! Don't give in!

(Oh, wait, on second thought, go ahead, give in and submit something. \:D )
Posted by: Opus45

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 08/07/08 10:06 AM

Hi Rosanna,

I expressed my own doubts about submitting something this time around in the other 11th recital thread.

I allowed myself to be convinced to go ahead and submit something even though it's not really ready. Maybe you're a perfectionist like myself? You know, we are relatively anonymous here so this is a pretty safe place to let go of the perfectionist tendencies that sometimes bind us and prevent us from participating in life events.

Why not go ahead and submit something? I'll show them mine if you show them yours? ;\)

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 08/07/08 10:24 AM

Looks like Rosanna is off the hook for a bit as the rectal server is currently sending me back a 404 page not found error.

Don't worry though Rosanna! I'm sure it will be back up soon!

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 08/07/08 10:28 AM

Quote:
Looks like Rosanna is off the hook for a bit as the rectal server is currently sending me back a 404 page not found error.

OMG! Okay, I'm having second thoughts about participating in this recital again.

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 08/07/08 10:35 AM

Oh, phew!

It's back already!

Resume submissions!
Posted by: Strat

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 08/07/08 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by AnthonyB:
Looks like Rosanna is off the hook for a bit as the rectal server...[/b]
The *rectal* server? LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, I'm easily amused. \:D

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 08/07/08 10:49 AM

Ouch, that was a painful spelling mistake. At least it was funny!

Gotta love words that do that when you omit one measly letter. Of course, the word then doesn't get that silly little misspelled underline squiggly thing so I didn't pay as much attention as I should have. \:\)

I do get spoiled by all this real time spell checking as I type.

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 08/07/08 03:07 PM

A note to my fans:

"Lisztener, John Frank and all my known and secret fans, (when your names are singled out, you know you assume more "guilt",)

You are all indeed making a basket case out of me!

I needed an extra session with my shrink this morning after reading all the posts. My shrink said I absolutely and urgently need to spend 2 weeks at a spa, and take total time off from the piano to recover from the deep trauma that I am experiencing. Anyone knows of a good spa, where there are NO computers, so I can get from away from my "fans"??

Distraughtedly yours,
Rosanna"

(Triple, quadruple hahahaha!)

Really you guys are just too funny!

Opus45,
I am not sure if I am a perfectionist - may be more an obsessive compulsive?! \:D

And no, I put my foot down. I am not promising anything for the recital! So there! \:D

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 08/07/08 03:49 PM

Rosanna,

You are a good sport. Let us know what spa you are going to, to relax and get away from all the external pressure, and we'll visit the same spa at the same time to help you relax and forget all about entering the recital that you know you should enter because hundreds of thousands of people are clamoring your name,

"Rosanna...Rosanna...Rosaana we want you to play for us in the recital!"

Enjoy your day, sweet Rosanna,

Lisztener \:D

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 08/07/08 04:04 PM

Breaking news from PianoPress. 18 minutes ago.

"Rosanna, a year-long member of ABF, and a two-time recital participant, was reported missing by her family. A note was found on her piano.

'My ABF friends,
Why is the world so crueal and demanding? I didn't do anything wrong. I don't deserve this.

I left this afternoon, in cognito, to an undisclosed location. Please don't look for me until the 11th World Famous Recital is over.

I will return when I am ready to touch the keys of my Kawai again.'

The Recital mentioned in the note is a quarterly event at the World Famous PianoWorld Adult Beginners' Forum. It is known to generate great excitement among the members. But on many occasions, members were also known to complain about the stress of recording their recital piece. Such stress is fondly known as the Red Dot syndrome. However, this is the first known disappearance case that can be attributed to this event.

An all-point-bulletin has been sent out on all piano-related forums, including at PianoMagic where her last known post was made. Her family said that she'd left her mood-stabilizing medication behind. It was newly prescribed by her psychiatrist after a very traumatic double-session this morning. Anyone with information on this person should immediately contact the authorities."

\:D \:D \:D
Posted by: dannylux

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 08/08/08 06:47 AM

Well, I decided to go with Vasily Kalinnikov's Moderato in e flat minor.

It's a very deeply introspective, heart-felt piece; much different from my usual extroverted and joyful pieces.

I also wanted to do my bit to honor Kalinnikov by playing his beautiful Moderato and sharing it with others.

Mel

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 08/08/08 04:43 PM

Rosanna,

I hope you have returned to the funny farm!

Sincerely,

Lisztener \:D

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 08/08/08 07:46 PM

Quote:
Rosanna
And no, I put my foot down. I am not promising anything for the recital! So there! \:D
So, you haven't ruled it out. That's good. ;\)

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 08/08/08 08:59 PM

Opus45, you are a sharp cookie.

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 08/08/08 11:34 PM

Rosanna,

Thanks for the fun. \:D

Welcome back. The pull of your piano is too magnetic to repel...and that's great. \:\)

Quote:

I will return when I am ready to touch the keys of my Kawai again.'

[/b]
Enjoy a relaxing weekend,

Lisztener
Posted by: Babs_

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 08/09/08 04:42 AM

Great to read how well the recital is coming along. \:\)

Unfortunately , I won't be participating this time. \:\(

I had a freak accident 2 weeks ago. It happened on a very wet day and i slipped on the concrete, did a few crazy circles and then took a hard direct landing right on my kneecap. My kneecap was split in 2. I was horrified by the looks of it. Lucky for me the Comcast Cable Guy was nearby, he called 911 and stayed by me , held my hand and gave me pillows until the ambulance came.

They performed emergency surgery on me, discovered the bottom half of my kneecap was crushed into pieces so they completely removed the bottom half of my kneecap. The top of my kneecap is being held together by wires . I spent a week in the hospital, had some minor complications mostly due to all the drugs they were giving me there! \:o

Now I am on my second thick black foamed and metal leg brace , it covers my ENTIRE right leg The Dr says it will be a 3 month recovery which involves physical therapy. I wont be able to bend my knee for 3 months. SO much for using the pedal on the piano.

Anyway I had 2 songs that I was working on for this recital. One was a Nevue song and the other one was a Scarlatti Sonata. I was going to pick between the 2 as to which one made a better recording. Of course neither one is ready for the recital, they both need at least 2 more weeks of work. And now I can't use the pedal. Oh well..................there is always the next recital. ;\)

Good luck to all of you and I will be listening to ALL your pieces.

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 08/09/08 05:06 AM

Babs - that sounds soooo painful! I was cringing just reading the words on the screen, can't imagine what it must have actually felt like.

Just take it easy, and hope the recovery and physio go well.

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 08/09/08 11:37 AM

Thanks Euan for your kind words.

Yeah...........it was painful, the nights are the worst, so far I am only managing a few hours sleep cause I am a rolling side sleeper and the long thick double foamed metal brace fitting my entire right leg weighs a ton , which means I have to sleep on my back and I hate that! :rolleyes:

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 08/09/08 12:22 PM

I hope you get well soon Babs.

I've been lucky enough not to require any hospital stays but I do dread that a bit as I'm a tummy sleeper. They'd have all these IV's in my arm and then I'd try to roll over in my sleep resulting in a tangled mess of tubes. \:\)
Posted by: jotur

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 08/09/08 12:43 PM

OMG, Babs - that sounds awful. But, but, but - can you pedal with your other foot? Sort of like using your left foot on the accelerator (oh, whoops - I didn't confess to ever doing that, did I?) Or, uh, working on that finger legato? Well, maybe not. But get well - we hope to see you back on the volleyball court soon \:D

Cathy
Posted by: Euphonatrix

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 08/09/08 12:59 PM

ouch!
get better soon - wish you a speedy recovery. (Maybe you try some Bach without pedal at all? But I imagine even sitting is awkward when you cannot bend your knee)

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 08/09/08 01:32 PM

Anthony, I was rolling around on my side and tangling the IV tubes and then the darn beeper would go off, and the nurses would come running and then I got chewed out by the nurses for it! \:D

Jotur, As a matter of fact the physical therapist was over here the other day , he plays piano too. He said my only option was to use the wheelchair with the right leg rest ,lower the leg rest until it rolls right under the piano and use my left foot to pedal. I am not allowed to bend my knee for 3 months. I tried playing the piano that way for just a minute , and it was very awkward using the left foot for pedaling. But the real awkward part was my fingers, they felt like they had been in the twilight zone. Oh well...I'll try again next week, when I am a little calmer and can focus better. I am still in shock from my KLUTZY FREAKY FALL! :rolleyes:

Eupho I am not into Bach right now. But I was working on the Scarlatti, Sonata in C. It is from the Baroque period. My teacher said that song requires no pedal or very little at all. And I do LOVE that song.

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 08/09/08 02:07 PM

Oh Babs, how AWFUL!! \:\( I hope you have family and/or friends you can count on to do a lot of your errand running etc.

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 08/09/08 02:34 PM

Babs - just on the the topic of Scarlatti (his name doesn't appear much in the ABF!) - have you heard his sonata in D (k535)?

That's a piece which I really love, and it contains possibly the best chord progression in music in the middle!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypJ3ypF6I_E
(section between 1:20 and 1:30)

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 08/09/08 03:23 PM

Monica, I have 2 teenage boys here helping out. Although their idea of a clean house isn't quite my idea, \:D which is why I have a maid here once a week.We're eating pizza , yogurt, take out Chinese food, shortbread cookies and bananas more often now. Paper plates and Paper cups are popular around here now ever since the boys started fighting over whose turn it is to do the dishes. \:D
In 2 weeks my sister is coming for a week. And also I have 2 more weeks of hourly visits from the nurse and the physical therapist. Of course after I get the brace off in 6 weeks I have to go to an outpatient physical therapy clinic to learn to bend my knee again

Most of all I have my cat who is my real nurse, he sits on the bed and comforts me,and licks my right leg whenever I am in pain. I can tell he misses the piano playing though because he is always sitting on the piano bench looking at me with sad eyes. ;\)

Euan, I do like some Classical as well as New Age. \:\)
I checked out that utube clip you posted,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypJ3ypF6I_E
Wow, Beautiful, I love Scarlatti, I wish I had more of his music, the utube clip above it is too complicated for my level , but I can dream !

This is the piece I was working on before I took that humiliating klutzy fall on the wet concrete, it is more on my level. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lkd1Dz1pzJE
My teacher says it is played with no pedal or very little pedal so this maybe this is the the one piece for me to get back to work on when I can focus better and figure out to position myself with keeping my right leg straight. I love the song because it has a upbeat melody, it is fun to play and all those hand crossovers are a blast!

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 08/09/08 06:41 PM

Babs_

I am so sorry to hear of your terrible injury. Please accept my sincere hopes that you mend quickly from this tragic circumstance. Please keep us all informed of your continuing rehab progress.

My sincere best wishes are with you,

Lisztener

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 08/09/08 07:32 PM

Babs,
So sorry to hear about the freak accident. Sending healing vibes your way.

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 08/09/08 08:22 PM

Quote:
Babs,
So sorry to hear about the freak accident. Sending healing vibes your way. [/b]
Babs would feel so much better if you could play something for her in this recital since she won't be able to participate. \:D

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 08/09/08 09:56 PM

Quote:
Babs would feel so much better if you could play something for her in this recital since she won't be able to participate. \:D [/b]
Anthony,
Did John Frank or Lisztener pay you for the post?

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 08/09/08 10:01 PM

Quote:
 Quote:
Babs,
So sorry to hear about the freak accident. Sending healing vibes your way. [/b]
Babs would feel so much better if you could play something for her in this recital since she won't be able to participate. \:D [/b]
Rosanna , I just got done listening to the song you submitted "Shores of Tomorrow" for the previous recital and it was so pretty! I would love to hear you play again for the next recital!

Litzener, thank you for your kind words! I am so looking forward to hearing your song . \:\)

Maybe now that I am taking pain meds I should try my hand at improvising \:D

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 08/13/08 08:38 PM

Breaking News from PianoPress. 5 minutes ago.

"Rosanna was found by her family at the Funny Farm Spa, 6 days after her disappearance on Aug. 6. She is reportedly doing well and has been receiving intense therapy during her stay. She also recorded and submitted a piece to the ABF Recital, about 24 hours prior to the deadline. Her therapist said that the piece demonstrates her full recovery, and has released her from the Farm.

The ABF Recital is a world famous series, about to open for an 11th time on 8/15. Rosanna's piece is the 60th piece. Excited members are watching closely to see if this 11th recital may break the past record of 62 submissions."

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 08/13/08 08:58 PM

Quote:
She also recorded and submitted a piece to the ABF Recital, about 24 hours prior to the deadline.
Rosanna's piece is the 60th piece. [/b]
Congratulations Rosanna! \:\) So soon - and without any prompting or "nudging" at all :p

I, for one, am really looking forward in eager anticipation to partaking of the pleasues of listening to your chosen piece.

Thanks for participating!

Regards, JF

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 08/13/08 09:15 PM

Quote:
Breaking News from PianoPress. 5 minutes ago.

"Rosanna was found by her family at the Funny Farm Spa, 6 days after her disappearance on Aug. 6. She is reportedly doing well and has been receiving intense therapy during her stay. She also recorded and submitted a piece to the ABF Recital, about 24 hours prior to the deadline. Her therapist said that the piece demonstrates her full recovery, and has released her from the Farm.

The ABF Recital is a world famous series, about to open for an 11th time on 8/15. Rosanna's piece is the 60th piece. Excited members are watching closely to see if this 11th recital may break the past record of 62 submissions."

\:D \:D \:D [/b]
I'm so happy I think I'm going to pee my pants. \:o

[Whispering to self - I wonder if they put an electronic bracelet around her head to monitor her brain activity for a spell. Oh well, celebrate her freedom!]

Rosanna...SUPER!

Lisztener
Posted by: Copper

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 08/14/08 01:17 PM

I believe the record is 63 - now tied.

#.......Date..Players..Time...Digital..Acoustic

1....2/15/2006..32....1:42:12...19....13
2....5/15/2006..34....1:54:25...22....12
3....8/15/2006..34....1:56:40...22....12
4...11/15/2006..40....2:06:47...24....16
5....2/15/2007..45....2:29:10...21....23
6....5/15/2007..49....3:52:48...21....15
7....8/15/2007..52....3:01:46...31....20
8...11/15/2007..57....3:00:32...29....28
9....2/15/2008..58....3:13:15...35....22
10...5/15/2008..63....3:33:00...38....25

...............464...26:50:35....

[EDIT] Now just a few minutes later - up to 65 [/EDIT]

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 08/14/08 01:59 PM

Copper:

Those are some nice stats. It's also nice to see the number of participants has never decreased (stayed the same once) but has increased for all the other recitals.

I'm proud to be a part of this latest record breaking recital as my first ABF recital. Of course, this is how we keep breaking those records...by attracting first time players. \:\)

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 08/14/08 02:20 PM

Were going to bury the old record by 9 PM...I just have a feeling a bunch of people are beating up "Dot" as we speak...

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 08/14/08 08:39 PM

I note that the number of participants, the number of acoustic recordings and the number of digital recordings have all doubled in a little over 2 1/2 years of recitals.

Thanks to all the participants and organizers!

Regards, JF

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 08/14/08 11:56 PM

HOORAY....MONICA!!![/b] \:D

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 08/15/08 12:01 AM

Thanks, Lisztener! \:\) :2hearts: :3hearts:

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 08/15/08 08:32 AM

Uh-oh... I just tried to listen to a few more submissions this morning and the recital server is down. Hopefully not for long, but in the meantime you can access the zip files at the esnips server.
Posted by: BB Player

Re: The 11th World Famous ABF Recital... - 08/15/08 12:35 PM

Quote:
Uh-oh... I just tried to listen to a few more submissions this morning and the recital server is down. Hopefully not for long, but in the meantime you can access the zip files at the esnips server. [/b]
I've been fantastically unsuccessful with esnips. I click on the link, click download, am prompted for a user ID and password (which I have but shouldn't be necessary), and am then taken to the esnips home page. I tried entering the download URL directly but this takes me directly to the password page.

Perhaps because I'm using firefox but I've not been able to use the download link at all.