November Piano Bar

Posted by: Balladeer

November Piano Bar - 11/01/06 09:57 AM

Hi All ...

I would like to offer the piece below to open this month's piano bar.

http://www.box.net/public/lojqktrfps

The song is titled "My Tribute" by Andrae Crouch (I have found that in some circles it is also know as "To God Be The Glory" - which also happens to be an entirely different song by the way .... go figure!

I first heard this a couple of months ago and was quite taken with it's passion. Needless to say I cannot play it just as I heard it - no do I wish to ... but I can play it like 'me.' ;\)

I arranged this by ear in Db - which is becoming my favorite key. I like the sound I perceive in that key and it's easy on arthritic fingers! \:D

Hope you enjoy.

Balladeer
Posted by: gmm1

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/01/06 10:23 AM

Very nice job Balladeer. At first listen, I did not care for the high note at the beginning and near the end as on my machine it sounded "clinky", but it might be growing onme. My taste would have it played more piano than F...

Very good job on the glis's - both up and down. Very smooth and fitting. I don't care for them usually, but the way you played it, it fit and was well done. And also on the trills (tremelo?)- very clean.

All and all, very good indeed
Posted by: piano_deb

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/01/06 10:43 AM

I enjoyed that quite a lot, Balladeer. Thanks for sharing.
Posted by: dannylux

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/01/06 11:05 AM

Balladeer,

Very beautiful playing!

Thanks very much for posting your performance.

It's a joy to listen to it.

Mel
Posted by: Peyton

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/01/06 11:29 AM

Sweet job Balladeer! Great phrasing.

I love Db as well. Real nice on the fingers.
Posted by: TX-Dennis

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/01/06 11:54 AM

Beautiful job, Balladeer. I like your voicing of this song. I remember hearing Crouch perform this many years ago. It was breathtaking. Another fabulous version was by Dave Boyer. He did big band swing versions of hymns and Christian songs. I never saw Boyer in person, but once owned a couple of LPs (yes, vinyl) of his. Sadly, I let all my vinyl albums go to the Salvation Army some years ago in a fit of poor judgment. Sure wish I had them back. However, I can imagine that the person/people who wound up with them are enjoying them as much as I once did.

Forgive the digression. I seem to be good at them. Excellent job on the song!

--Dennis

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/01/06 12:23 PM

WOW[/b] ... what great responses already! I wasn't expecting this!

gmm1 .... yes, the sound quality is a little iffy - not at all like it sounds on my Roland, but I know nothing about making sound files. Seaside Lee was kind enough to 'clean up the audio' so that it is at least listenable (thanks Seaside) I have never been 'gliss person' either until now. There seems to be a fine line between using them tastefully and going overboard. I probably haven't quite got my balance yet, but I'll get there. Those tones you mentioned were little turns - I haven't worked on the tremelo yet. Thank you very much for your input!

dh, dannylux, and Peyton .... I am happy you enjoyed this. It's sort of a new direction for me and I appreciate your listening and commenting - I have to say the compliments are pretty fun too!!!

Tx-Dennis .... yeah! I found someone who know this piece! I have found that most folks are not familiar with it. I didn't know it either until a few weeks ago when a guy who works at a piano store played it and told me what it was. Brother, can this guy play!! I was very moved and inspired, so it went right to the top of my list. I have not heard Crouch's own version, so I will check that out, and Boyer as well. Thanks so much for the feedback and info.

Thanks again to you all. The sharing in these forums can be uplifting.

Balladeer
Posted by: Astra

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/01/06 01:43 PM

Hi Balladeer!
I dont know the song but its beautiful! (and your playing too, of course \:\) ) And to think that you played it by ear!
By the way, I heard that Db is also most appropriate for singing and ... Huh, I dont know what I wanted to say \:\)
Posted by: IrishMak

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/01/06 04:36 PM

Nice job, Balladeer! I don't know this one, either, but it is a lovely piece.
Posted by: stephenc

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/01/06 04:55 PM

Wow, Balladeer what a fantastic piece and great playing!!

And you arranged this? I reckon people would be cueing up for a sheet music transcription!
BTW, I think gliss is your thing, these parts sounded superb.
Posted by: Bob Muir

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/01/06 05:28 PM

Good job Balladeer. I don't know that song either, but it sure sounds a lot like "My Way".
Posted by: mahlzeit

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/02/06 08:42 AM

Here's my tune for this month's piano bar: You Got What I Need by The Travoltas, a Dutch punkrock band. I doubt any of you know this tune. \:D

Anyway, as usual I'm not entirely happy with the recording. It has some mistakes and hestiations and is sloppy overall, but this is take #57 or thereabouts, so I thought I'd leave it at that. \:\)

http://www.box.net/public/vmjhqp0gdm

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/02/06 09:40 AM

Mahlzeit - very nice - I do not know the piece (but for some reason it has a very familiar ring to it - can't quite place it....yet).

Punkrock? A very pretty piece, not the punk rock stuff I normally hear.

I could not tell where you hesitated or where the piece changed tempo, it sounded great and "on purpose" to me. I like this song - I will spend the rest of the day trying to figure out why it is familiar to me.

Great job (and quite an accomplishment, making me like a punk rock song...).
Posted by: dk21208

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/02/06 09:58 AM

It has a lot of similarity to Blue Moon. The Travoltas have a pretty cool sound. Kind of a punk rock meets the 60's Rock n' Roll. So maybe they were thinking of Blue Moon's chord structures and rhythm when they wrote this. Nice job mahlzeit.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/02/06 10:07 AM

mahlzeit, I can't get the darn thing to play. It says it won't recognize the format. Is it an mp3?

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/02/06 10:10 AM

Dean - Yes, that's it....

Thanks - you saved me a day of pain.....

Mike

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/02/06 10:25 AM

Mahlzeit, you may hear mistakes in that recording, but I hear lovely music very nicely played. Thanks for sharing.

Peyton, it is an mp3 but wouldn't play for me, either, until I downloaded it. Then it played fine.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/02/06 10:29 AM

Hi Matt ...

This does sound like a 1-6-2-5 or 1-6-4-5. Nice and smooth, Matt. \:\) I like the way you take your time.

Thanks for the tune.

Balladeer

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/02/06 10:36 AM

Thanks for the kind words, all! \:\)

I re-encoded the MP3 and uploaded it again. Maybe that'll fix it. (If not, download it first. Sometimes box.net is just weird.)

The chords in the original song aren't really the Blue Moon chords (I think), but it fit so I used them (C-Am-F-G).
Posted by: mr_super-hunky

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/02/06 03:54 PM

Balladeer:

Once again, your recording sounds fantastic. You (and all the piano magic people) have such and incredible "full and rich" sound to all your performances. This is what I am also striving to do!

You know that I also have the Roland KR-7 and your recording sounds so realistic. I love my M&H "BB", but I have yet to even come close to the digital recordings members are posting. For what we are doing on this forum (sharing our recordings, these digitals are very hard to beat!)

You are still one of only a handful of my favorite players styles to listen to. Good job my brother from another mother!!!

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/02/06 04:35 PM

Very pretty, Malzheit! Mistakes? What mistakes???

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/02/06 04:44 PM

Downloading it did the trick! Very nice playing. I like the pauses.
Posted by: Seaside_Lee

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/02/06 05:06 PM

Hi balladeer

You know I love this already ...well played I love it \:D

Quote:
You know that I also have the Roland KR-7 and your recording sounds so realistic
Hunkster - That'll be because I recorded Tims midi through my Yammie motif rack ;\) \:\)

regards

Lee
Posted by: Opus45

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/02/06 08:30 PM

Balladeer: Beautiful piano playing. I can really feel the emotion in your music. It's tangible. I do agree with gmm's advice to tone down those high notes in several places...i think playing them softer would feel more controlled (sorry, can't think of a better way to say what I'm thinking). Everything else, glissandos, crescendos, decrescendos, general shaping/phrasing, was delightfully and beautifully expressed and executed. BRAVO!!!

mahlzeit: Now that was fun listen! Is this really a song played by a punk rock band??? I honestly can't imagine why you wouldn't be happy with this recording, but then again, I'm never really happy with my recordings. I'm glad you posted your recording anyway. Very nice mahlzeit!

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/02/06 09:44 PM

This is a little composition of mine, it came about after learning a Yiruma song so I think that is reflected somewhat in the piece. I call it 'Longing'.

http://www.box.net/public/725n64abpn

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/02/06 09:48 PM

That sounds great, mahlzeit. It certainly doesn't sound like "punk rock" to me. If this is what Dutch punk rock sounds like, I think I could enjoy it.

--Dennis

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/02/06 09:51 PM

Nice composition, stephenc. I enjoyed it.

--Dennis

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/03/06 01:15 AM

Hi again ...

Bob Muir .... yes the beginning is reminiscent of "My Way." I don't know which was written first. That caught my ear the first time I heard it too.

Hi S-H .... you know that your playing - as well as your input is inspirational to all of us! I do remember you have the KR-7 also and you know exactly what it is capable of! Thanks a lot for the review. I am pleased that you enjoy my music, and there will be more to come!

Hi Seaside .... Thanks again for 'cleaning' the audio. I'm pleased you liked the tune!

Opus45 .... thanks for the tip about the high tones. I will give that some thought and work. I am flattered by all of your generous comments!

Thanks again.

Balladeer

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/03/06 01:18 AM

Hi stephenc ...

Your composition and playing have a very nice and inviting flow. I especially enjoyed the bass work during the middle section. Thanks for the music.

Balladeer

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/03/06 04:31 AM

Thanks for listening, everyone! \:\)

There definitively *are* mistakes in my recording -- wrong chord, wrong bass tone, etc -- but I guess if you just keep playing, no one really notices. \:D

Of course, I didn't play the song in its original arrangement so that's why it doesn't sound very punk rock. This particular tune also has a more 60's/surf feel to it. But it's fun to take songs from a completely different genre and adapt them to the piano.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/03/06 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by stephenc:
This is a little composition of mine[/b]
Very nice, stephenc! It sounds like the tune has a very simple structure, but it works. \:\)

Some bits remind me of "I'm a Barbie Girl" by Aqua ("Life in plastic, it's fantastic!"). \:D

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/03/06 06:26 AM

Stephenc - very nice indeed. I am a sucker for slow, smooth, easy on the ears pieces. Makes me want to turn off the lights and attack the wife.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/03/06 10:08 AM

Stephenc- OOh, how very lovely! I agree with the comment about the bass work in the middle section- really gives it a dreamy quality and fits so well with the title.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/03/06 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by gmm1:
Stephenc - very nice indeed. I am a sucker for slow, smooth, easy on the ears pieces. Makes me want to turn off the lights and attack the wife. [/b]
:D \:D \:D

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/03/06 05:35 PM

Thanks for listening and for your comments!

Some interesting ones..Barbie Girl (I wish I could write something THAT good) ;\)

Quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by gmm1:
Stephenc - very nice indeed. I am a sucker for slow, smooth, easy on the ears pieces. Makes me want to turn off the lights and attack the wife.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Glad to be of service.

Thanks again
Posted by: Kent B

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/04/06 08:47 PM

Stephen,

I really enjoyed your song. Longing is a good name for it, too. Very nice.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/05/06 01:35 PM

I wanna be like...Stephenc! Just great.

Now, before I go on a shooting spree with my BB gun, can someone please respond and let me know if you hear this tune in "STEREO" !

I am having a huge problem with my Audacity program and hopefully, I have this issue resolved.

I am also still trying to figure out a good mic position for recording.

Forget commenting on this tune as it is just a sample to test my mic positions and to see if my "stereo" is working.

BTW, this is called "After the goldrush" by Neil Young. Is is a brief example of playing by "figuring it out!", as I don't have any music for this.

www.pinnaclepeakllamaranch.com/AfterTheGoldrush.mp3

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/05/06 02:19 PM

Mono. It might help if you actually encode it as a *stereo* MP3. \:\)

EDIT: I wonder what problems Audacity is giving you. I'm no expert with the program, but I recorded two mono tracks (one after the other, because I only have one mic). Then I panned one fully left, the other fully right, and did export as MP3. Et voila, a stereo MP3 file. Is this what you are doing as well?

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/05/06 03:10 PM

Nay!

Ik ben zo vermoeid van dit stomme opnameprocede!!

(I'm from Holland too!)

Anyway, I AM recording in the audacity "Microphone mode". I did try the line in and also the "stereo" mode with no luck!.

My left AND right channels are both set at 100% input levels!

I don't get it!. I'm gonna load my bb gun now as I'm getting so frustrated!

EDIT:

Just as I was going to start shooting up the town, Mrs Hunky went into the Audacity program under "file", and then "preferences" and noticed that my settings were placed on "Mono"!!

Good news: I probably found the problem
Bad news: Now I have to go re-record....EVERYTHING!

Oh well, hopefully this info may help someone else if having same problem!

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/07/06 11:06 AM

Here is one that will probably try your patience. It's the aria from the Bach Goldberg Variations. I was going to record it for the next recital but as it's a holiday recital I'm putting it here. I just recorded it this morning and I'm curious about a couple of things. First of course if any one likes it and second...how the recording quality sounds. I'm using the sterio bar for the first time. I've moved the mics away from the piano and put them together. They are not matched mics (that's the next aquisition) but decent mics none the less.

FYI- I play the repeats but try to do them different each time.

http://www.box.net/public/7n5imiuxya

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/07/06 06:16 PM

StephenC

Longing...is just gorgeous, very beautiful and if you don't mind I'm placing it on a minidisc to listen to in my car (and thats an achievement in itself \:D )

Could have been longer for me, I was enjoying it so much

thankyou for the wonderful music

regards

Lee \:\)
Posted by: Haizel

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/08/06 01:30 AM

Hi Peyton,

I enjoyed listing to your recordings. I'm learning how to do basis recording now so your recording is crystal clear to me. Also I love the way you bring out all voices in this piece. I have been playing piano for 3 yrs and just started learning to play some of Bach little pieces about 6 months ago so I really understand that you have done a great job. Balladeer and Stephen have also done a great job recording sweet and soft music. .
I hope I'll be able to figure how to post recordings one of these days.

Mr. Hunky- Its amazing how can you play so beautifully by ears only. I enjoyed very much listing to your piece.
Thanks
Posted by: Ragnhild

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/08/06 04:42 AM

Peyton, I am already a fan of yours, I was even before I heard you play Bach.
You are a true musician, and it just seems like everything you touch turns into gold(berg). ;\)

Ragnhild

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/08/06 05:17 AM

Hi Peyton,

There is a slight hiss on the recording and I also hear some pops and cracks. And maybe the stereo field is a little narrow, but that's just a matter of taste. The piano sounds nice, though. \:\)

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/08/06 07:33 AM

Thanks Haizel, Ragnhild and mahizeit. I remember from when I took lessons being told how different it is to play Bach. I tend to want to approach everything in a "romantic" way with lots of pedal and I believe there are many that use no pedal at all when playing Bach. Anyway, I really love this piece and hope to keep improving on it. (I'm working on the variations but not not getting very far).

mahizeit, what do you mean by "the stereo field is a little narrow"? And I hear that hiss too. I can't figure where it is coming from. You would think I was recording analog rather than digital.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/08/06 07:38 AM

Mr_SH- that was really a great version of the Neil Young tune. Those rolls/gracenotes(?) are a nice touch. Did you work it out playing along with the cd or just in your head? Nice recording too.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/08/06 09:10 AM

Hi S-H ...

Your recent tune was "hidden" under the recording questions and I didn't see it until just now.

It's very interesting how your particualar style is beginning to emerge and take on its own S-H signature. Probably due to your listening preferences, you are quickly becoming our own "New Age Icon!"

Nice work.

Balladeer

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/08/06 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Peyton:
mahizeit, what do you mean by "the stereo field is a little narrow"? And I hear that hiss too. I can't figure where it is coming from. You would think I was recording analog rather than digital. [/b]
Heh, I *did* think you were recording analog, that's why I mentioned those two things. Are you using the Line Out or the Phones Out on your digital piano/keyboard? Line Out (preferably to your computer's Line In) will give better results and less hissing/noise.

About the stereo field: I listen with my headphones on and the recording seems nearly mono. There isn't much difference in what is on the left channel and what is on the right. Hence, a "narrow" stereo image.

Had you been recording analog, you could have panned your two microphones more. But since you're using a digital, you probably cannot control this, unless you use a filter to post-process your recording. It's possible to widen the stereo image that way, but I found that this lowers the overall volume. Of course, you can amplify again, but that also increases the hiss.

So don't worry too much about it, unless your digital has a setting for how stereo the output should be.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/08/06 11:05 AM

First off, I'm recording from my acoustic grand. I put two mics on a sterio bar about 5 feet away from the partially opened top. My mics then go into a mixer and from there to a firewire interface. The only analog device wold be the mixer so that might be the extra noise.

I have always used two mics, one on the treble end and one on the bass and right up to the strings in the past. This is the first time I've tried it this way. I'm recording to two tracks so I pan right on one and totally left on the other but since the mics are now so close together I can see why there wouldn't be all that much difference. I'll have to play around with it.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/08/06 11:40 AM

Peyton,

Your playing of the Goldberg is absolutely beautiful.

I've listened 4 times already this morning.

So peaceful.

I especially like hearing your rubato.

The piano sounds great.

Mel

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/08/06 12:12 PM

Ah, I mistook "analog" for "acoustic". Silly me. Well, at least both words start with an A. \:D

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/08/06 04:42 PM

Hey Mr S-H

I missed your posting too...

Wow! Hunkster you are really developing a nice style...it sounds effortless for you \:\)

Nice playing, I like it

regards

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/09/06 03:38 AM

TX-Dennis, Balladeer, Mahlzeit,Gmm1,IrishMak, Kent B, Mr S-H, Seaside Lee, Hazel

Thanks all heaps for listening and your encouraging comments!

Seaside Lee - Wow, what an honour to make it on to your mini disc, that really made my day!!! (I'll have my agent contact you for royalties etc.)

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/09/06 05:53 AM

Quote:
Wow, what an honour to make it on to your mini disc, that really made my day!!!
:D ...only one of a select few too ;\)

Quote:
(I'll have my agent contact you for royalties etc.)
No problem, I'll be making big bucks anyway, when I sell my story to the papers "that I knew you before you were famous!" ;\) \:D

Posted by: TThomas

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/09/06 09:37 AM

I'm obviously too new to comment technically on anyone's playing (I'm impatiently awaiting piano delivery in 8 days!) but I just wanted to tell you all how much I'm glued to this thread! Wow, how long have you all been playing!? Beautiful, all of you. :3hearts:

And Mahlzeit - jeesh, I've had your Travoltas piece stuck in my head for a week now! What a sweet tune. I'm crushed, however, knowing that you play by ear and there's no sheet music for me to learn it from! \:\(

T

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/09/06 12:13 PM

Hi TThomas. Glad you like the tune! \:\)

As it happens, I always record in MIDI, so here's the MIDI file: http://www.box.net/public/x5ry48p1yn

Download the Van Basco MIDI player and you can see what I'm playing on its piano display. \:\)

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/09/06 12:57 PM

Wow, that could be an addicting little program, thanks! I think I did not blink the whole 3:18! Now, if I could just find an additional program that can somehow read the fingering and transfer it onto paper \:\)

Tina

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/09/06 01:30 PM

MidiNotate Player \:\)

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/09/06 02:24 PM

Wow again - that is the BEST! I obviously have much to learn. I'll get back to you in, oh ANOTHER YEAR, when I'm actually able to play it! :rolleyes:
Thank you thank you thank you!!

Tina
Posted by: Monica K.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/09/06 09:31 PM

I have had the worst

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/09/06 09:37 PM

mr_super-hunky, I don't care if it's mono or stereo; it just sounds good! Neil Young is one of my favorite modern artists, and so many of his songs have strong melodies. I really enjoyed this.

peyton, I am not a huge classical fan, so I will not pretend to be... I like your "songs of the month" about a gazillion times better. \:D But this was very pleasant and appeared to be technically well played.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/09/06 10:13 PM

OK Monica, tell me what you think of this . I wrote it last week and just recorded it this evening. I was thinking Pink Floyd. Maybe lot's of synths and big bass drums ha ha.

It's called Smoke, Wood and Stone.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/09/06 10:36 PM

Now that was *much* more to my liking. I really liked how you did those fast arpeggio runs to mark the transition to the second verse. The story on this one was a bit more obscure to me, perhaps because I didn't have the lyrics to read along with while listening. But I do see the Pink Floyd connection (late, post-The Wall Pink Floyd).

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/09/06 10:46 PM

Lyrics Obscured by Clouds... ;\)

Jeesh, I just listened to what I recorded. Sure sounded better when I had 3 margaretas under my belt...
Posted by: pianoga

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/10/06 09:41 AM

Great playing this month! S_H: you sound great, even in Mono. Didn't know you could speak Dutch, I'm sure you are asked to be SInter Klaas every year for the Dutch community in Pinnacle Peak! \:\)
I came across a picture of your local pub on the internet a few days ago btw, looks great!

Mahlzeit and Peyton, thank you for the music, as they say in Sweden!
Balladeer, magic as usual ;\)
Posted by: Nighteyes

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/12/06 04:28 PM

End of october/november spoils:

Bartok etude

This is the one I'm most proud of. It's just complete, everything fits. Played virtually without errors.

Stravinsky

Played just a tad to quickly, I couldn't quite pull it off. But I like it this way...

Andriessen Menuet

This one has a really hard passage in the middle, resulting in a big stall somewhere. But oh well I hardly ever pull this off without errors so it wouldn't be realistic to just keep recording until I hit it right. Maybe I'll record it again in a week or so, when I have it down better.

Bach March

Again, played a tempo slightly above my capabilities, resulting in some missed notes. But it's still pretty good.

Beethoven bagatelle

This is a much older one I still had memorized but hadn't come round to recording yet. I like this one.

Alternetively, browse through my folder:

Folder

Enjoy!

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/12/06 09:30 PM

Wow, Nighteyes, you've been busy! Thanks for posting all these... now it makes me wonder what you submitted for the recital. \:D

I liked the Bartok piece the best of these, too, followed by the Beethoven bagatelle. The Bartok almost has a slow new-agey air to it (so it's no wonder I liked it the best ;\) ).

Your piano sounded great, btw. \:\)
Posted by: DeepElem

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/12/06 10:47 PM

Stephenc, Longing is an amazing performance. It sounds as professional as can be. Thanks for posting it, very enjoyable.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/12/06 11:05 PM

I'm currently working on trying to take simple tunes and learning to make them more interesting. Here's an attempt to do such with Amazing Grace (pianomagic folks you've already heard this one)

Any and all criticism/suggestions welcome, always looking for ideas on what to improve upon.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/13/06 05:31 AM

DeepElem, thank you so much for listening and for such encouraging comments, I'm glad you liked the piece. Amazing Grace is a beautiful piece.. you play a really wonderful jazzy version, it sounds so rich and full, the guys at PianoMagic are earning their money with you. This reminded me very much of Seaside Lee's style, which I think is superb!

Monica, thanks as always for your kind comments, it definetely was Yiruma's River Flows in You that inspired this one, ornaments and all! Maybe I'll ask Mr Nevue for some airtime!
Posted by: Nighteyes

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/13/06 06:11 AM

I haven't submitted anything yet for the recital... these are all such short pieces, it seems hardly worth it. But I'll fix something up in the afternoon it's fun to participate anyway.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/13/06 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Nighteyes:
I haven't submitted anything yet for the recital... these are all such short pieces, it seems hardly worth it. But I'll fix something up in the afternoon it's fun to participate anyway. [/b]
Nighteyes,

Very nice work.

I look forward to hearing your recital piece.

Your pieces are neither too short nor unworthy.

You have made tremendous progress in so short a time.

Many congradulations.

Mel

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/13/06 07:27 AM

Sorry, I tried to edit and hit the wrong button.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/13/06 07:33 AM

Nighteyes, really liked the Bartok! The Beethoven too. Great playing. You could have entered any of those for the recital. Who says the recital pieces have to be long?

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/13/06 10:26 AM

Hi NightEyes -

Nice work on all the pieces. The Bartok was comfy, the Stravinsky - sharp ... but I liked the menuet best! Good use of dynamics there!

Thanks for the music.

Balladeer

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/13/06 11:09 AM

Nice playing, Nighteyes! \:\)

And you too, DeepElem (Buck), but you already knew that. \:D

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/13/06 02:42 PM

Nighteyes, all those pieces are very well done. You really take on a number of projects at once, nicely done.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/13/06 11:12 PM

OK. I submitted my recital piece today. I'm not too proud of my performance on it, but it is slightly above my current ability. Here's a much easier piece that I recorded this evening. A quick one minute version of Angels We Have Heard On High. The performance isn't perfect, but I've only played through it a handful of times.

--Dennis

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/14/06 03:32 AM

Very nice TX-Dennis, especially for such a short time working with the piece, looking forward to your recital selection!

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/14/06 10:03 AM

Nicely played TX-Dennis, it has a very delicate sound. Amazing how quickly you picked that up.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/14/06 10:08 AM

Nighteyes, DeepElem, TX-Dennis- very nice, all of you!
Posted by: w_scott_iv@yahoo

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/16/06 06:10 PM

Here's mine - humbly submitted for your approval. Recorded using Audacity and a six dollar lapel mic, so the the quality is minimal.
p.s. minimal = poor
http://www.box.net/public/pmnyed6rys

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/16/06 09:57 PM

W_Scott, I love it. Great job on a jazz classic. This is a really nice take on it. Nice ending, too!

--Dennis

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/16/06 10:06 PM

Wow, there's a bunch of new music in here since the last time I visited, and I'm loving it all.

Dennis, I really like your "Angels." I just started learning a simple version of that song, and it was nice to get yours in my head as an example of just how nice a simple version can sound.

w_scott, yes, that is one sorry recording ... But your choice of music sure is perfect for a piano bar, and your playing was wonderful. I was dancing in my chair!

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/17/06 10:39 AM

Dennis, nice. I really like those arpeggiated bass notes coming in half way through.

Hey how come it downloads as Georgia on my Mind? \:D

Scott, that was REALLY fun. And played so smoothly. I love the runs. All from music or made up? If sheet music can you steer me to it?

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/17/06 11:54 AM

Hi Peyton,
It's made up - but when I get my keyboard back, I can play into the computer and get you a transcription, if you like. It won't be the same obviously, but it will be that style. Walt

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/17/06 12:07 PM

Scott - I would also like a copy - very well done and it sounds like a lot of fun to play.

Thanks for the offer (even though you did not make it to me....)

Mike

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/17/06 12:17 PM

gmm1
The more the merrier. I'm just flattered that anyone wanted it!
Posted by: JerryG

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/17/06 04:21 PM

Hey Scott, I would like a copy too. Great swinging piece, and those runs, really professional.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/17/06 04:40 PM

Scott, what's your piano history? You sound like you could play out?

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/17/06 06:08 PM

Scott, man that was GREAT !!!
Loved everything about it.
I'll take a copy of the transcription too (although it may keep me busy for the next 5 years)

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/17/06 09:00 PM

Hi Dennis and Scott ...

Dennis that was a very clean and very enjoyable rendition of "Angels!" Nice handling of the melody.

Scott - you got that swing, Baby! Terrific stuff!

Thanks to both of you.

Balladeer

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/17/06 09:12 PM

Quote:

Hey how come it downloads as Georgia on my Mind? \:D
[/b]
A small error while encoding to MP3. I had just done Georgia on My Mind, and forgot to change the name when I encoded this one.

--Dennis

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/18/06 11:38 AM

Hi Peyton,
Regarding my piano history, I make my living (such as it is) as a pianist. I love to play so much that it's worth a life of poverty in order to pursue it! lol

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/18/06 11:45 AM

Hey Dennis - I somehow missed your submission of Angels - very nice job - I am in the process of learning about 10 xmas songs from a fake book (chords and melodies only) and I listened in envy to how you filled Angels out and made it sound whole. My wife likes the way I play Silent Night but I know its block chords and one note melody. I cannot wait to progress to the point you are. Not to mention the recital (wow, are you guys good). Next year for sure. Better hedge my bets, next year better than now for sure....

Again, real nice job.
Posted by: LiszThalberg

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/18/06 01:13 PM

Here is my Le Petite Nergre
[URL= http://www.box.net/public/ytua6zo9t5 ] http://www.box.net/public/ytua6zo9t5 [/URL]
I recorded it at a friends recording studio and have no idea how they recorded it.

Free free to post feedback
Posted by: Mary-Rose

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/18/06 01:21 PM

Debussy20 - there didn't seem to be anything there! But perhaps you'd better concentrate on tomorrow's recital for now....

Good luck!

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/18/06 04:14 PM

woopsy-daisy...
I posted the wrong link..
this is the right one: http://www.box.net/public/diufnh301j
Posted by: Mary-Rose

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/18/06 04:37 PM

I've heard it now, Debussy20! It's charming. Very well played. Thank you! (Make sure you join the e-cital next time!)

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/18/06 05:50 PM

Nice job, Debussy20. Good luck with your recital. I'll bet that you do a fantastic job!

--Dennis

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/18/06 06:16 PM

A very fun piece, Debussy20, and very nicely played!

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/19/06 04:51 AM

Debussy20,

Your playing is terrific!

Very even and expressive touch.

Thanks very much for posting your performance.

Mel

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/19/06 07:16 AM

Thanks everybody!
Posted by: minywheats

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/19/06 08:27 PM

OK, Im jumping out there. This makes me really nervous to do. I have been playing for 3 months and I figured why not. Please be easy. I know there are a couple slight hiccups and a big pause but ya know....

Piece #1
Piece #2
Posted by: Bob Muir

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/19/06 08:34 PM

I thought they were excellent minywheats. You're pretty hairy for an Irish Girl though. :p

btw, if you're going to videotape your performance, at least give us something better to look at than your t-shirt next time. Like maybe the keys?

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/19/06 08:35 PM

Wow, minywheats! Not only do you have something for the piano bar in only your 7th post, but it's TWO pieces, and they're VIDEOS!

I think you did a fantastic job for somebody who's only been playing three months.

Thanks for sharing!
Posted by: Kawaigirl1

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/19/06 08:48 PM

Wow minywheats , you are flying with your progress as you only started 3 mos ago. Well done

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/19/06 09:04 PM

Pretty stunning progress for only 3 months! Thanks for sharing.

Please tell us a little about your musical background, minywheats. I'm guessing that you could already read music or have played other instruments before taking up piano ...?
Posted by: minywheats

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/19/06 09:17 PM

Names Mike, and the video is in that spot becuase it sounds best there. I had it on the key level but it sounded horrible, tried higher with the same result. I will try to find a better place next time promise. I played Euphonium(Baritone) and Trumpet for about 8 years. I was all state Euphonium player my senior year of high school and I just got out of the Marine Corp 6 months ago. I needed something to do and I wanted to get back into music so here I am. I have never touched a piano or played any Bass Clef so Im not a pro but I do play everyday 1-2 hours a day. I love it

not 12 sorry LOL

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/20/06 05:11 PM

for 12 hours!!!
Have you looked at the practice club yet?
you can find it here: http://www.pcsincnet.com/PW_Practice_Club/

Join up and help us ( the dudes ) bring glory to the male gender while practicing.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/20/06 05:55 PM

Very nice job, Mike (minywheats)! Awesome for 3 months playing.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/20/06 06:53 PM

Debussy20...what to say. EXCELLENT!!! Didn't know you could play Debussy ha ha. Did you play it as well at your recital?

Nice job there miniwheats. 3 months? Really? Pretty amazing. And where did you get the shirt? I want one. \:\)
Posted by: Mountain Ash

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/20/06 07:08 PM

I would love to listen to you all, I really would, but I'm over my download limit for the month! \:\(

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/20/06 07:54 PM

Quote:
Debussy20...what to say. EXCELLENT!!! Didn't know you could play Debussy ha ha. Did you play it as well at your recital?
[/b]
I played Solfigetto at my recital, otherwise know as the annoying fast song with too many 16th notes... ;\)
Posted by: Euan Morrison

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/23/06 02:18 AM

Here are some rough Einaudi pieces. There were all (except 1) recorded on first take, so there are wrong notes, bad pedalling, and that annoying electrical sounds. But they are going to be sorted before long!

I giorni: http://www.box.net/public/ts1itg4a5z
Dietro casa: http://www.box.net/public/9e2u3gd8to
Come Un Fiore: http://www.box.net/public/k1kfgpi6ql
African Melody III: http://www.box.net/public/xjkarj08d5
In Un'Altra Vita: http://www.box.net/public/3gh0maf6el

Euan.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/25/06 08:23 PM

Hi Euan,

You've been hard at work on these! Wow 5 pieces! They are each very pretty pieces, I love the mood that Einaudi's pices create, very reflective pieces and I think your playing brings it out very well. Do you memorise these or play from sheets?

Also, I'm sure thats the Steinway soundfont, did you get it playable live?
Posted by: Euan Morrison

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/26/06 03:17 AM

hi stephenc,

I have 3 of them memorised, the other two I played from the book. Just need to find time to get them recorded better.

Yes, its the steinway soundfont! Havent yet managed to get it playable live - not sure why. I load it into the soundfont bank manager, but it didnt seem to play through the speakers.

Also, it seems like the bass notes are really poor - there is no clarity or depth to them. Is that due to an inferior soundcard, or just the soundfont?

Have you ever tried Synthology's Ivory or the EastWest Bosendorfer290? I am really tempted to get one of those and was wondering how good the sound quality is compared to what I'm using? I probably wouldn't be playing 'live' through it, as my digital is in a seperate room. I would really just be using it to wash over the MIDI recording. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Euan.
Posted by: Van

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/26/06 08:23 PM

Haha, didn't want to miss the nov. bar so here's mine...this one was a piece I began almost at the start of my playing, left it for a while, and all of a sudden it came together for me in the last couple of days (I played this at a party yesterday and people actually said they liked my playing...didn't have the courage to tell them I was only a beginner \:\) . Lots of 7ths and flatted 5ths and spread out fingerings. Let me know if you recognize it and what you think, I haven't really started embellishing it as yet..

http://www.box.net/public/z9fhphecjc

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/26/06 09:16 PM

Hi Euan, not sure why your soundfont can't play live, maybe your midi playback is not set properly in your audio settings?

I think the poor sound would be the soundfont as opposed to your card, they are only small files often 20 - 30 mb. I moved on from soundfonts and now have the bosendorfer 290 ( 2 GB worth - and this is small for these types of files!). I'm still playing with the settings, but it is much broader in sound and dynamic than the soundfonts (requires much more computer specs however!).

I hear Synthogy and Akoustik Piano are great, I've not tried them, but please feel free to send me down some of your midi files and I'll convert them using the Bosendorfer Giga file.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/26/06 09:36 PM

Euan, those are wonderful pieces. I have to get an Einaudi book or something. Very nice playing.

--Dennis

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/26/06 09:38 PM

sid,

I recognize the song as Falling Leaves. I'm not sure if that is the proper name of the song, though. I played this piece as a child taking lessons many moons ago. Nice work. Keep learning! I know I am.

--Dennis
Posted by: Van

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/27/06 03:28 PM

Dennis,

Thanks, yeah, it's a called autumn leaves, still very much a work in progress but it's such a pretty tune I couldn't help posting it, especially this time of year...happy holidays!
Posted by: wolfindmist

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/27/06 05:18 PM

I really have been enjoying all the November Piano Bar Offerings--- I only wish I had a way to make recordings myself. Maybe someday I will have the equipment suitable for making piano recordings. Until I will just enjoy sitting here at the bar.

My new emachine is handling all these recordings effortlessly so far.... unlike my ancient machine that now resides in the garage. Now I can't wait to get some composiong software and a new digital stage piano. (C'mon Santa; bring it to me.... and I'll be good.)

BTW Sid your AVATAR with the penguins is really cute. LOVE IT!!!
Posted by: Piano*Dad

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/28/06 09:55 AM

I put a video of the rondo movement of the pathetique under "member recordings." That seems to be a very disused place. I suppoose I can add it as Piano*Son's contribution to the November piano bar.

Maybe next month I'll have him film ME! Now that's a scary thought. \:D ;\)

Here's the link:

Rondo to Pathetique: Piano*Son
Posted by: SAnnM AB-2001

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/28/06 12:38 PM

If I could be one quarter[/b] as good as Piano*Son before I'm too old to play anything anymore I'd be thrilled! That was amazing! Do you think piano will be his profession as an adult? Is he gearing towards a music degree when he finishes school. Gosh.... he's only 13? Just think where he'll be in 5 years heading to college!!

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/28/06 08:01 PM

Thanks Sandy. Music as a profession? Who knows. It's such a tough business. He has started saying things like he'll study music in college, but I'm sure part of that is a natural response to lots of questions about what he wants to do when he's older. I don't think I had a coherent thought about that when I was his age.

He does like doing the recordings now! So we may post more later. Mastering the "red dot" is great training in its own right.
Posted by: Relic

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/29/06 02:51 AM

where's the sheet for that song My Tribute" by Andrae Crouch ? could you give download link or please send me to tibia_Luna@hotmail.com thanks
Posted by: pianoga

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/29/06 06:41 PM

Piano*Dad, Piano*Son sounds to me like he hasn't been playing a lot with his playstation at week-ends. I'm convinced it's still in its box. That's children for you, typical, ungrateful, I'd teach him some manners if I were you.

I had a couple of piano lessons when I was 13. All I could think of was: maybe the teacher won't be here this week, with a bit of luck she's had a car accident!

Oh boy, I need therapy...

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/29/06 07:27 PM

Playstation? What's that??? \:D

Actually, my youngest will be getting a Nintendo Wii (is that how it's spelled?). And Piano*Son wants a ....geez, what's it called .... I think its an X-box. At present we have none of these gadgets, and should they come into our household (we can't forever resist progress) they will be subject to rather rigorous time limits.

Seriously, I can't deny my kids the pleasures and socialization of doing the things that their peers do. On the other hand, I feel no pressure to allow them free reign with these "toys" until all other daily responsibilities (including practice) are discharged.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/30/06 09:03 PM

I just got my Zoom H4 today. The UPS lady dropped it on the porch, rang the bell, and ran back to her truck. I had to share my first recording with the unit. I recorded it direct to MP3 with gain set to M and everything else set to default. The recording quality is pretty good despite the sound of my son playing and screaming in the background. The playing is far from perfect, but I just wanted to try out the new toy.

This thing is sure a lot easier to use than my previous recording method of stringing cable to the piano from my computer some 40-50 feet away. The quality is better, as well. I still need to play around with placement to get the best sound quality.

Oh, by the way, forgive my (bad) singing at the beginning. I haven't taken time to edit the file at all.

Georgia On My Mind

--Dennis
Posted by: petrof1

Re: November Piano Bar - 12/01/06 03:27 PM

hey guys[/b] Great job on the piano bar. I'm kinda late popping in, I've had too much work to do.
  • Scott[/b]You can add me to your list, I'd like a copy of that swinging piece you did, great job! If it's not too much trouble to get it from you, I'd love it!

I'm still not done listening to the great music on the piano bar, it's a great stress reliever. Man you guys are getting better and better!