Piano World Home Page
Posted By: TromboneAl Introducing Myself - 08/12/04 06:46 PM
Now don't tell anyone on the trombone forum that I'm posting here -- I think they'd see it as a defection.

I've played jazz trombone for years, but a month ago I got a flare-up of shoulder pain that caused me to stop bah . I'm evaluating my different options right now, and one of them is to go back to piano, which I used to play.

Anybody else is a similar boat? I'm hoping that my experience with jazz in general, and my prior piano experience (played by ear for many years as a kid, took lessons as an adult for 1-2 years) will help me get up and running quickly.
Posted By: Cindysphinx Re: Introducing Myself - 08/12/04 10:10 PM
Hi, and Welcome!

The only thing I know about trombones is that trombone players are dead sexy.
Posted By: Axtremus Re: Introducing Myself - 08/12/04 10:21 PM
Cindy -- that's too graphic! Too graphic! This is supposed to be a family forum, for Pete's sake! wink [EDIT: Oh, wait, it is the adult forum after all.]

And welcome to Al! smile

I've been toying with the idea of learning Jazz piano... not going anywhere with it yet, but the dream is there. smile
Posted By: Piano Again Re: Introducing Myself - 08/12/04 11:01 PM
Hi! I just registered here and am sort of in the same general area, but my training is as a classical cellist. I want to start piano again, too (hence my screen name). I've played on and off (mostly off) for years, but I'd really like some advice about how to go about getting back into it with a fresh start to avoid the discouragements of the past . . . anyone?
Posted By: apple* Re: Introducing Myself - 08/12/04 11:14 PM
Is this for real?

I didn't know other instruments were allowed.

eek eek
.just kidding. Welcome to Piano World! laugh
Posted By: katie_dup1 Re: Introducing Myself - 08/12/04 11:41 PM
Welcome to the brass (TromboneAl) & string (PianoAgain) players!! Post often!!

This is really quite wonderful ....... We can quietly recruit an entire orchestra while the gifted & talented must carry on solo ...... There is strength in numbers wink .

--Katie
Posted By: kathyk Re: Introducing Myself - 08/12/04 11:46 PM
Originally posted by Axtremus:
Cindy -- that's too graphic! Too graphic! This is supposed to be a family forum, for Pete's sake! wink [EDIT: Oh, wait, it is the adult forum after all.]

And welcome to Al! smile

I've been toying with the idea of learning Jazz piano... not going anywhere with it yet, but the dream is there. smile
And you have the rhythm, dude!
thumb
Posted By: ChickGrand Re: Introducing Myself - 08/13/04 12:07 AM
Originally posted by katie:
...the gifted & talented...
I'm thinking we should quit thinking of them as "the gifted and talented" before they start referring to us as the "developmentally challenged". We may have started later, but we might turn out to be as "gifted and talented" as they are, and some of them could as easily find their ultimate highest plateau just a little short of a goal any of us might ultimately reach. We're just "off schedule", but "better late than never".

P.S. Welcome, Al!
Posted By: cathys Re: Introducing Myself - 08/13/04 01:39 AM
Al,
How do we know that as soon as we get to know you you're not going to leave us to start posting in some "gardening" forum? :p

Welcome to both of you!! smile

CathyS
Posted By: Cindysphinx Re: Introducing Myself - 08/13/04 11:29 AM
I like calling them the "gifted and talented!" Hey, it's the "B" students who run the world, right? wink

And Welcome, Piano Again. Cello players are the heart throbs of the orchestra! Oooh, that throaty sound is irresistable!

Cindy -- who played clarinet, which isn't sexy no matter what you do
Posted By: pianopimp Re: Introducing Myself - 08/13/04 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
Hi, and Welcome!

I've heard they're good kissers...
Posted By: jdsher Re: Introducing Myself - 08/13/04 01:53 PM
TromboneAl: welcome to the forum. You might want to check out what other instruments some of our members have played. http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/32/27.html#000000
I think Dan M is a classic example of a member whose previous musical knowledge has helped him tremendously. Here is a link to hear some of his recordings. Keep in mind he made these having studied piano a very short period of time.
http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/1/6697.html#000021
Please keep us up to date on your progress, I can assure you that we have all experienced the same frustrations and exhilarations of playing the piano.
Jon
Posted By: Phlebas Re: Introducing Myself - 08/13/04 06:09 PM
Welcome. Can I call you Slide?

(I'll bet tou've heard that one before)
Posted By: HermanM Re: Introducing Myself - 08/13/04 06:14 PM
Can I call you Slide?
I used to play the trombone before, and they called me 'Boner'
wink
Posted By: gryphon Re: Introducing Myself - 08/17/04 04:35 AM
I played trombone. First chair first trombone all through high school. Want to reevaluate your position?
Posted By: tk Re: Introducing Myself - 08/17/04 05:04 PM
Hmmm... Since this thread has taken on an "introduce yourself" theme, I thought I would do so, too! smile

I have posted a handful of times on the general forum, but was drawn to this one as an adult returning to piano after over a dozen years. It nice having it back in my life. Though, unfortunately, I haven't been able to play for the past several weeks due to an injury to one of my fingers. *SIGH* frown

Originally posted by TromboneAl:
Anybody else is a similar boat? I'm hoping that my experience with jazz in general, and my prior piano experience (played by ear for many years as a kid, took lessons as an adult for 1-2 years) will help me get up and running quickly.
I'm not really in the same boat in that I never did play another instrument. But, I can say that having previous musical experience plus a lot more life experience helped me "get up and running" pretty quickly (till injured, that is) as a returning adult.

Cheers, everyone!
Posted By: Jeffrey Re: Introducing Myself - 08/17/04 10:10 PM
Trombone - Welcome to PW! Please keep us posted on your experiences.
Posted By: HappyGoLucky Re: Introducing Myself - 08/17/04 10:33 PM
Hi there, Big Al -- Welcome to our Adult Forum! My piano tuner is a trombone player -- and he is a hunk! Do the adults have more fun? You bet! Lots of folks here play (or used to play) other instruments besides piano. I think trombone players are required to post 76 times.
(just kidding) Welcome to the Forum.

Virginia (from Virginia)
Posted By: Matt G. Re: Introducing Myself - 08/18/04 12:22 AM
Cindy -- who played clarinet, which isn't sexy no matter what you do
Oh, I don't know. I guess it all depends on what you're doing with the .... umm .... oh, never mind! whome
Posted By: Cindysphinx Re: Introducing Myself - 08/22/04 06:44 PM
Is it getting rather warm in here, or is it just me? wink

Cindy -- who had imagine Grypon as Dead Sexy even before she knew about the trombone thing
Posted By: pdolce Re: Introducing Myself - 08/22/04 08:04 PM
TromboneAl, Piano again,tk,

Welcome to the PW Forum. I think if you play another instrument you can get going on the piano faster because you're already experienced with timing and theory. There was a girl in my piano class that had played the violin before and our teacher was forever raving about what good timing she had. Plus if you've played piano before it all comes back to you quickly. Anyway, welcome, glad to have ya!!

pdolce cool
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums