additional books

Posted by: EJ

additional books - 12/30/08 08:37 AM

Hi everyone:
New to this forum. I just started book one a few days ago. Only on page 28. Never played piano before. I have played guitar for years and trained as a classical guitarist. So, music theory is not that much an issue, just learning the layout of the keys and getting my fingers to move !! \:\) I have always wanted to play the piano and wanted to do so before I was 50...so that only leaves about 8 months, so I thought it was time to start! Anyway...my question is...are there any other books that would have pop/classical pieces that would be appropriate to the abilities of book one? I would like to practice other pieces while going through the lessons of book one. Has anyone had any luck with the "EZ Piano" books?? I must say I am really enjoying the book and doing much better than I thought! With my travel schedule it is impossible to predict one day in the week where I would be able to take a lesson, so hoping this will at least get me started. Any other helpful tips for a newbie would be welcome!
Cheers,
EJ.
Posted by: mom3gram

Re: additional books - 12/30/08 08:52 AM

Hi, EJ, I used the EZ play books for a while when I first got my keyboard, but then I really wanted to learn piano the traditional way with both hands. I borrowed the primer level Bastien book that my grandkids outgrew, and then got the Alfred Adult All-in-one. The EZ-Play Today is more like a preparation for playing with a fake book.
Posted by: bluekeys

Re: additional books - 12/30/08 09:15 AM

I think starting supplemental material early is a good idea. I used Alfred's All Time Favorites (Level 1). There other level 1 supplemental books as well.

Here is a link.
Posted by: ll

Re: additional books - 12/30/08 09:54 AM

I'll toss in the idea of a graded repertoire--Keith Snell, Faber and Faber's Developing Artist/Time pieces, etc etc etc.
Posted by: EJ

Re: additional books - 01/07/09 10:56 AM

Thanks everyone! I have heard alot of positive comments about Alfred's all time favourites as well as Faber and Faber, so I will check them out. I Also was not too impressed with the EZ series, but wasn't sure what the "current wisdom" was, so it is good to have that as well.

Cheers,
EJ
Posted by: Monica K.

Re: additional books - 01/07/09 11:10 AM

Welcome to the forum, EJ. \:\) I like the Dan Coates arrangements; he has a knack for making music easy but still sounding good. (His "Easy Piano" arrangement of Canon in D was one of the first piano pieces I ever learned.) He's got easy piano collections of movie music, classical, pop, etc.