What the heck does this mean?

Posted by: pdolce

What the heck does this mean? - 09/11/04 01:05 PM

I know if a note has "sf" under it, you're supposed to accent that note. I have a piece with "rfz" under a note. Is it an accent that is more strongly accented or less strongly accented, or is it a typo? \:D

pdolce
Posted by: Mark Davidson

Re: What the heck does this mean? - 09/11/04 03:07 PM

rinforzando

Not a typo. Literally I think means "reinforced". So stronger, perhaps not as accented as sforzando.

Re: What the heck does this mean? - 09/12/04 05:07 PM

Mark,

Ah, thanks for the clarification. \:\)

pdolce
Posted by: HappyGoLucky

Re: What the heck does this mean? - 09/16/04 07:42 PM

PDolce -- you brought up something that has been on my mind -- I need a good pocket-size book with all the meanings of the musical notations for expression (not sure what the category of these things are called). I know most of the standard ones allegro, pp, ff, glissando, andante, etc. etc. but I'm always coming across an expression I don't know -- so I can only "guess." Actually, I could stop playing and run to the computer and look it up -- but I never do that. What I need is a pocket-size dictionary of musical terms. Any suggestions on such a book? Anyone?
Virginia (from Virginia)
Posted by: signa

Re: What the heck does this mean? - 09/16/04 08:52 PM

now that you mentioned it, i checked mine - "Pocket Music Dictionay (Hall Leonard)"($5), and it does contain this 'rfz'!! the dictionay is good enough, with defs on terms, brief description of composers/lyricists, some nicknamed compositions and charts of some music references/notations. for such a small book, it has a lot.
Posted by: HappyGoLucky

Re: What the heck does this mean? - 09/18/04 08:49 PM

Thank you, Signa.

I'll look for it -- $5 bucks, eh? Sure beats
"guessing" at notations like: "douloureaux" or
"sempre legato" or "con affetto" or "piu mosso" !!

Virginia (from Virginia)

Re: What the heck does this mean? - 09/25/04 04:57 PM

Virginia,

Sorry for my late response. My little "Pocket Manual of Musical Terms" is by Schirmer. I noticed it only has the abbrieviations, like the afore mentioned one above, if you know the word for it. And then sometimes even if you know the word the abbrieviation isn't shown in the definition of the word.
Signa's book sounds more complete.

pdolce