Piano World Home Page
Posted By: gmm1 OT - the JCS tour - review - 12/20/07 02:04 PM
Last night my lovely bride, her sister, and myself went to see "Jesus Christ Superstar" with Ted Neeley as Jesus, Corey Glover as Judas, Tiffini Dodson as Mary Magdalene (I am in love again) and an excellent cast/orchestra.

The program was a little "scaled down" from the original (by scaled down I mean a smaller cast with members filling multiple roles - it did not detract from the performance).

In a word, excellent. Neeley still has a powerful voice and an unbelieve-able range. Glover almost stole the show, especially his performance of "Superstar". I say almost because I fell in love with Tiffini Dodson. Her rendition of "I Don't Know How to Love Him" is the best I've heard in years. Simply chilling.

Darrel Whitney returned to the tour to recreate his role as Ciaiphas, and being a want-a-be bass, he impressed me to no end. His range is huge, and he could make the building vibrate on low notes, sung perfectly, rich and deep.

Aaron Fuksa as Herod was also notworthy. He fit the role, and pulled off a tough job, making you laugh at the worst of times.

Throughly enjoyable, and I highly recommend seeing it if the tour comes near you. First time or tenth, it is well worth the evening.

BTW, Annastasia Victory is listed as keyboards/AMD, but I don't know if she was playing as the orchestra was not where I could see, but whoever was playing was fantastic. Funny, I remember hearing guitars years ago, and it was the piano that I remember this time...go figure....
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums