Piano World Home Page
Posted By: zacster Metronome software for 2 over 3? - 04/13/09 02:16 AM
I'm looking for metronome software that can give me a 2 over 3 beat pattern. I'm trying to play Brahms Op 118 #2, which has triplets in the left hand and 1/8 notes on the right. I have a sense of it, but still have trouble.

I love this piece, but was intimidated by the 2 sections of this. My teacher tells me that I have to play one hand or the other without thinking, and fill in with the other. She thinks I can do it with practice, but it is hard.

It can be for mac or PC, or iPhone. I have a Korg digital metronome, but I don't see how it would work. It has a 2-3 setting, but that's one, two, cha, cha cha. I'm thinking along the lines of one - two - and - three. Maybe Garage Band? I don't know how to use that very well, but maybe my son the guitar player can help.
Posted By: packa Re: Metronome software for 2 over 3? - 04/13/09 03:41 AM
In my opinion, this really isn't a metronome type of problem. It is a problem with basic counting. I suggest you try slowing your practice down until you can count (out loud if necessary), 6 slow but even "beats" for the pattern. If you do this slowly enough to start, you can actually bounce your focus between your hands as you strike each note.

1:RH+LH 2 3:LH 4:RH 5:LH 6

When you begin to internalize the 2-against-3 rhythm you can speed it up and eventually dispense with the counting.

One thing to check as you increase your speed is to make sure you are playing very even triplets, not some other rhythm that gets "pulled" towards the other hand's notes.
Posted By: jazzyprof Re: Metronome software for 2 over 3? - 04/13/09 04:48 AM
Ah, I just finished learning that lovely Brahms piece! Anyway, for a metronome with polyrhythms go to beausievers.com and download the Metropolis metronome. Be sure to watch the Screencast for detailed instructions.
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums