November Piano Bar

Posted by: (Was)TrueBeginner

November Piano Bar - 11/01/09 05:46 AM

Nobody here yet? grin

I planned to submit this piece to the recital but changed my mind and submit another one. So here it is for the monthly bar. Cheer

Story Of A Young Girl

TB
Posted by: TrapperJohn

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/01/09 06:17 AM

TB - there's nothing like a good "Story", and this is one - yet another lovely piece in a growing list of such works from the pen of TB thumb

Looking forward to hearing your Recital piece also.

JF

Really like your avatar.

Still trying to figure out what you're a true beginner at though.
Posted by: Peyton

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/01/09 06:32 AM

TrueBeginner- Very nicely played. I love the melody. Very dreamlike. What is the piece?

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/01/09 06:59 AM

Oh, I forgot to specify that it is self-composition.

Thanks JF and Peyton for your encouragement.

TB
Posted by: Studio Joe

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/01/09 07:07 AM

Very nice TB; Beautiful background music for my morning coffee.
Posted by: BillM

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/01/09 08:58 AM

TB - I'm with Studio Joe on this one - perfect coffee drinking music. I had 2 cups and listened to it twice. Very nice.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/01/09 09:20 AM

Self comp!! Even better. A very pretty piece indeed!

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/01/09 09:57 AM

My November Piano Bar submission is a cover of a song that has been done by lots of artists, most notably Peggy Lee and Elvis. I couldn't resist using the Jazz Scat voice in the piano break at around the 2 minute mark.

Fever

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/01/09 02:12 PM

Great job Bill!! I always liked that song and you do such a fantastic version of it.

You just keep getting better and better.
Posted by: Rickster

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/01/09 02:15 PM

Hi All,

I’ve enjoyed the submissions here so far!

I’m thinking I might be wearing out my welcome here with all the Rock-N-Roll, so here is something different. This is an improvision that I’ve been working on. Sometimes I just like to noodle around on the piano and imagine that I can really play it! grin

My Tokai grand piano sounded really good in this recording. I put the microphone over in piano and the amplification brought out the best in her!

I hope you enjoy it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cioP4J50IUY

Take care,

Rick
Posted by: charleslang

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/01/09 02:41 PM

Sounds great Rickster! Really it sounds wonderful, both your improv and the piano. In many ways it's my favorite of yours so far.

I don't think you've worn out your welcome with Rock'n'roll -- everyone's got to mix up fast and slow styles, even for one's own benefit.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/01/09 04:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Rickster
This is an improvision that I’ve been working on. Sometimes I just like to noodle around on the piano and imagine that I can really play it! grin

Hmmm, good noodles; Sounds good Rickster, enjoyed listening.
Posted by: jazzwee

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/01/09 11:56 PM

A little Jazz for the November bar...

Improvisation of "All the Things You Are". This is a two handed soloing style which is very difficult so I don't have quite mastered at this fast tempo...

http://www.box.net/shared/sctchthkch

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/02/09 12:12 AM

TB, that's a nice composition you had there!

Rickster, pretty nice noodling I'd say thumb

You two are chockful of submissions for sure smile

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/02/09 07:09 AM

Bill - You're not quite as alluring as Peggy Lee but I really liked your take on "Fever" anyway grin Just in time for the Flu season too!

JF

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/02/09 07:20 AM

Rick, that was quite different for you. I like it.

Jazzwee- what a fun piece! Did you work from sheet music at all?
Posted by: Glen R.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/02/09 08:43 AM

Originally Posted By: TrueBeginner
Oh, I forgot to specify that it is self-composition.

Thanks JF and Peyton for your encouragement.

TB

Another inspiring piece! Somehow I don't think TrueBeginner suits you smile
Posted by: Glen R.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/02/09 08:47 AM

Originally Posted By: b528nf7
My November Piano Bar submission is a cover of a song that has been done by lots of artists, most notably Peggy Lee and Elvis. I couldn't resist using the Jazz Scat voice in the piano break at around the 2 minute mark.

Fever

Great performance--really like the Scat voice. Looks like you're really enjoying yourself!

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/02/09 09:47 AM

Originally Posted By: Peyton

Jazzwee- what a fun piece! Did you work from sheet music at all?

Thanks Peyton! No that's completely improvised. It all came from my head except for the beginning partial melody. It will come out 100% different each time I do it.

That's why it comes out raw. There's a natural imperfection since I'm composing on the fly.
Posted by: Augustina

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/02/09 09:52 AM

well, this is one of the few songs I have recorded since I just started my account a few days ago, I have only one song so far on here, I've played it 3 times since I got it so its not that good yet, but thought I'd put it up here to see what people think:)

http://www.box.net/shared/oi4o8jpbza

Dueling Violins from Lord of the Dance,

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/02/09 02:07 PM

Thanks for the comments, All!

Great performance, TB!

Excellent, Bill! That kind of music keeps us young!

Nice, Jazz, Jazzwee! I like Jazz too!

Nice piece, Augustina. Maybe one of these days I’ll record my version of “Dueling Banjo’s”.

Keep’em coming Ya’ll!

Rick
Posted by: HomeInMyShoes

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/02/09 04:28 PM

Well, I've been away from the bar for a while, but it's nice to come back and listen every now and then.

@TrueBeginner - Impressive as ever and your touch is sounding better.
@b528nf7 - gotta say I love the song. What about Kylie Minogue? smile
@Rickster - nice improvisation
@Jazzwee - livey and fun. Sounds like a lot to keep straight in the head.
@Augustina - where's the piano? Only three times? Sounds better than that smile

Had some extra recording practice from the old recital madness. Here's one that wasn't really on the list of potential entrants, but a piece I love. It was featured on House the other week.

Schumann op. 15, no. 1
Posted by: jotur

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/02/09 04:32 PM

True Beginner - that was lovely smile

Cathy

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/02/09 05:22 PM

homeinmyshoes i dont have a piano, just a keyboard with 61 keys. and yeah 3 times. however it helps when i have listened to the song a lot of times smile

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/02/09 05:40 PM

I like that HIMS, I don't think I've heard that piece before but it is lovely and you played it very well.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/03/09 07:33 AM

HomeinMyShoes - very nice playing on the Schumann piece - enjoyed that much. Listened twice. Thanks.

JF
Posted by: Larry B

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/03/09 10:45 AM

HomeInMyShoews - that was an outstanding Schumann 15/1. I can hear the difference between this and the one from the Schumann study group just a few days ago. Great work!

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/04/09 06:55 AM

Homeinmyshoes- Very nice playing. Nice job keeping that G out at the end. I still keep forgetting. smile

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/04/09 01:50 PM

This is the first recording I've done on my Casio. I like the action of this keyboard but I think I like the sound of Yamaha better.

The Shadow of Your Smile

-

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/04/09 02:48 PM

Very nice, Joe! I enjoyed it much! Soothing and comforting to listen to.

Rick

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/04/09 03:14 PM

Bill, nice performance as always. Did you just change your camera? The video is crystal clear. However, I think your voice sounds a little echoed.

Rickster, i didn't know you have that type of music in you. I love it very much. Is it selfish to ask you to play more of those musics?

Jazzwee, you live up to your username, this is my favorite from you so far. I love the intro.

Augustina, the melody sounds epic and seems hard to play for me.

HomeInMyShoes, you always make those classical pieces sounds effortless, and I like that piece. Everytime I listen to it I imagine some ballet dancer doing some footwork smile

Studio Joe, I haven't heard that song in a while. That is a very nice rendition. I love your arpeggio(sp?).

TB

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/04/09 04:22 PM

Joe - a beautiful song beautifully played. I actually like the tone of your piano - it has a faintly metallic tone, kind of like a dance hall piano you might hear in old westerns, but only more refined.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/04/09 04:29 PM

Did you just change your camera? The video is crystal clear. However, I think your voice sounds a little echoed.
TB

TB - My wife gave me a Flip Ultra HD camera for my birthday and I'm using it for both the video and the audio. I like the way it looks and sounds. Yes - I added a little echo.
Posted by: z32

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/04/09 06:27 PM

Hey everyone, just wanted to post this new version of a song I learned long time ago. Hope you enjoy!

http://www.box.net/shared/qbv51qcnz8

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/04/09 06:47 PM

Bill, I think "Fever" was written for you laugh Great rendition.

Cathy

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/04/09 07:07 PM

Originally Posted By: z32
Hey everyone, just wanted to post this new version of a song I learned long time ago. Hope you enjoy!

Beautiful! What's the name of the song?

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/04/09 07:29 PM

Bill - Very nice! That was fun. I like how you were syncopating those chords. The Scat made it jazzy for sure smile

Augustina - I listened to your recording that night that you first posted it. Then you removed your post so I never got a chance to comment. Loved the dueling violins smile Sounded like the real deal.

HomeInMyShoes - lovely rendition of Schumann!

Joe - I liked that a lot and of course a lovely tune. thumb You always do such professional sounding recordings.

Z32 - That was fantastic playing. Nice touch!

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/04/09 07:32 PM

Jazzwee, you live up to your username, this is my favorite from you so far. I love the intro.

TB

Thanks TB, I've tried not to post anything with real Jazz before in the bar. But I took the risk this time.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/04/09 11:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Studio Joe
Originally Posted By: z32

Beautiful! What's the name of the song?

Her Most Beautiful Smile.

Glad you enjoyed it btw!

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/05/09 12:16 AM

Jazzwee I don't remember removing anything I might have though since I posted them late at night and I was trying to do three different things at once^_^. Also I enjoyed listening to your song. I can't wait until I get my own piano!

TrueBeginner
From listening to you play I think you could play dueling violins it really isn't that hard:)
To everyone else I love all the songs on here:)

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/05/09 03:29 AM

Originally Posted By: jazzwee
A little Jazz for the November bar...

Improvisation of "All the Things You Are". This is a two handed soloing style which is very difficult so I don't have quite mastered at this fast tempo...

http://www.box.net/shared/sctchthkch

Good chops Jazzwee; I especially enjoyed the intro where you play the melody in the RH.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/05/09 05:54 AM

Thanks for the comments everyone. There has certainly been a lot of effort over the last couple of years on the pieces I work on. I would keep a log of the time spent on pieces, but it would probably scare me at how little I actually get through given the time spent.

@Studio Joe: nice stuff. Beautiful piece.
@z32: wow, that was really nice. As mentioned, nice touch. A pleasure to listen to.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/05/09 07:19 AM

Z32 - lovely piece and very delicate and fine playing - you sound like you're playing an acoustic in a large auditorium, but are you, in fact, playing a digital with "effects"?

JF

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/05/09 11:01 AM

Rickster - well, yours was my coffee-drinking and paper-reading morning music. Very nice. I've only done that kind of improv once in awhile, and after listening to yours I think I should try it again. Thanks -

Cathy
Posted by: Elssa

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/05/09 04:14 PM

I'm really enjoying everyone's submissions this month! smile

Bill, your rendition of "Fever" was very smoooth and I also loved the improv using the Jazz Scat! thumb I have the same voice on mine (KR-7).

Hope y'all don't mind another "Misty":

MISTY smile

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/05/09 06:00 PM

Elssa - Just lovely. Did you take the picture at the beginning of the video? Nice touch.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/05/09 06:39 PM

Originally Posted By: John Frank
Z32 - lovely piece and very delicate and fine playing - you sound like you're playing an acoustic in a large auditorium, but are you, in fact, playing a digital with "effects"?

JF

Yep sure am!

Thanks for the comments btw!

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/06/09 02:15 PM

jazzwee - whoopee! I liked that it sounded jazzier and more confident the more you played, like you were really getting warmed up and into the sound. By the end it was definitely club stuff!

Cathy

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/06/09 03:46 PM

jazzwee - Your "All the Things You Are" rendition is very nice. You have a clean, crisp touch that is perfect for this piece. Not being real familiar with this piece I was kind of surprised by the abrupt ending. Very cool.

Your piano sounds great - did you add a little reverb to the recording or is that how it sounds in real life? Edit - I just looked at your profile and see you have both a Steinway as well as a couple of digitals. Which was this - again, a very nice sound.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/06/09 04:48 PM

Bill - Thanks! The piano is just a default sound of the Yamaha P155, which pales in comparison to the Hamburg smile as you would imagine. It's actually pretty hard to get nuances out of the digital. There's a little more reverb which I add to compensate for the my dissatisfaction vis-a-vis the Steinway. Now as far as abrupt ending, I was just improvising so I when I recorded something long enough, I just stopped so I don't upset the "Red Dot" gods. smile What I was doing is something new to me and very difficult. Two hands are improvising simultaneously. Completely unplanned.

Cathy - You are such a sweetheart! I'm always afraid to post anything with real Jazz lest it be labeled as "too many notes" (which I expect). So any positive commentary is really reassuring smile

Joe - Thanks! Chops are still under-construction but your comments are encouraging.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/06/09 09:41 PM

Thanks, Bill! smile No, that picture is one of the backgrounds that I just discovered are in my new movie editing program (Pinnacle Studio 12 Plus).
Posted by: TX-Dennis

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/06/09 09:53 PM

TrueBeginner, nice little composition. I enjoyed listening.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/06/09 09:55 PM

Bill, Fever is an old favorite. It seems like I say that about everything you play/sing, but it's true. Nice job. I really enjoyed your version. That scat voice is pretty cool. My little Casio only does "doos" and "ahhs" - nowhere near as cool as this.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/06/09 10:01 PM

Rickster, your Restoration is a sweet melody. I like this alot. Terrific! And, yeah, your piano does sound especially good in that recording.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/06/09 10:04 PM

jazzwee, that's terrific improv on All the Things You Are. It sounds really nice, and I love this song. Sweeeet!

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/06/09 10:08 PM

Augustina, you played that on a 61 key keyboard? Impressive! It certainly doesn't sound like it would be easy to play.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/06/09 10:13 PM

HomeInMyShoes, that's my absolute favorite Schumann piece. Beautiful job on it.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/06/09 10:24 PM

Studio Joe, I like your version of Shadow of Your Smile. I wanted to sing along. I agree, the Yamaha does sound better although I think your Casio sounds better than mine. Maybe it's the player, though.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/06/09 10:27 PM

z32, I've never heard this one before. Very nice. You have the perfect touch for the piece.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/06/09 10:32 PM

Elssa, I never mind Misty. It may be over played, but I have always enjoyed the song. Your version is quite nice. As an aside, I know that Rickster keeps saying how great Tatiana's hands look. She's got nothing on you. grin

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/06/09 10:52 PM

Thanks for the comments, Denis!! You are always kind and polite to boot!!

And, you are right; Elssa’s hands are as lovely as her playing! (Don’t tell Tatiana I said that… she’ll think I’m a two-timer!! grin)

Take care!

Rick
Posted by: Riddler

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/06/09 10:53 PM

Home at last after a long trip, with minimal access to computers. So I'm behind on everything, but priorities are priorities, and first things must be put first, so I'm going to concentrate on getting up to speed on --- ta da - the ABF piano bar and recital!

Herewith some comments:

TB, nice composition. To me, it has a very nostalgic feeling to it.

Bill, boy, that scat voice sounds like fun! Great job, as usual with the arrangement and performance.

Rick, liked your improv, very mellow. It had a very nice feeling to it. A restorative, you might say!

Jazzwee, aw c'mon, admit that was a duet! No? Well, then, you have really made some kind of a breakthrough, improvising simultaneously with both hands. So hard to do, and quite fascinating!

Augustina, if you have only played that three times, you are a heck of a good reader and player! Note: I got a laugh out of the break for page change - there is a law that says if you have a perfect recording going, just before the ending your music will fall on the floor, or the cat will jump up on the keyboard. Never fails.

HIMS, there was something quite beautiful and quite refreshing about that. Yes, this would have been a top notch recital piece!

Joe, nice work on Shadow of Your Smile - great song, nifty LH arpeggios, beautiful ending.

z32 - that was superb. I wish I could play with such perfect expression, touch, control. Interesting that the beginning notes of the melody are roughly the same as Quando Quando - but what a different feeling! Great intro, btw.

Elssa, another polished and very professional performance. Your intro's, endings, and fills are so cool!

My piece is a song called Nardis, By Miles Davis. I am playing the piano, but all other instruments are computer generated.

http://www.box.net/shared/zbed4gjlps

Ed

P.S. Dennis - careful now; I don't want to have to call the vice squad about your hand fetish!

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/07/09 12:03 AM

Ed - you know Nardis is one of my most favorite tunes so you get me excited here smile BTW - your piano touch is really good. Those chords sound so nicely balanced. You always do a serious production with these submissions. Amazing thumb I like it a lot.

BTW - the two-handed thing is a work in progress. Taking a queue from Brad Mehldau here. I've been just taking baby steps to teach the LH how to improvise. When you combine the two, it's really distracting so it affects my time. In a few months though this will be quite natural. I'm already feeling the difference.

Dennis - Thanks for the kudos. I think I will submit a similar two-handed approach for the Nov. Recital. We'll see if I've made any progress since I posted ATTYA.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/07/09 02:38 AM

Originally Posted By: Riddler
My piece is a song called Nardis, By Miles Davis. I am playing the piano, but all other instruments are computer generated.

http://www.box.net/shared/zbed4gjlps

Ed

I like that Ed. This is jazz with just the right amount of notes, and the right notes. Sounds professional.
Posted by: kalai1

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/07/09 05:09 AM

Hi everyone, I like all you music, this is a great place and I am glad I found it.
I am a beginer at the piano and I am totaly self taught, I don't know how to read music and I don't know what chords I am playing, I started by learning to play Georg Winston pieces and then after learning some of his work I was able to start creating my own piano pieces so here is mine, this is called Ka'u Pilialoha - My Bond of Love.
I composed this about 3 years ago and I composed it for my wife.
I use a Yamaha P-80 going into my Soundblaster soundcard and then using the soundblaster software I burned it to CD,
I have some more piano pieces I will try to post later on,

The link I first tried did not work so I put it in the html of my website,
I put the link at the top of my website so click onto - Download Unknown Artist - Track 1
and you will see it at http://www.koawoodhawaii.com/
Comments are welcom, good or bad, take care and aloha.

Chris

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/07/09 05:30 AM

Elssa, so smooth and seemingly effortless.
Riddler, I always enjoy the band. A great listen. It's been on repeat for at least fifteen minutes now.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/07/09 05:34 AM

Chris: A lovely composition and delightfully played.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/07/09 05:50 AM

Very nice kalai1.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/07/09 09:06 AM

Ed - your piano work on this one is first rate - you are playing with real confidence and your skill really shines on this uptempo piece. Nice strong finish. Well done.

What model Yamaha are you playing? It has a very nice sound.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/07/09 11:35 AM

Riddler, your Nardis is another very fine performance. Quite enjoyable, and as Joe said just the right amount of notes. While I love to listen to Oscar Peterson and the like, a simpler arrangement is more listenable for most of us casual jazz fans. A very nice and professional sounding recording.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/07/09 11:40 AM

Chris, I think it's wonderful that you wrote this for your wife. I wish I were that talented. Well, okay, once I wrote a song for my wife when we were dating, but it's sort of a country-comedy piece called Influenza about the fact that I caught the flu from her while we were dating. Maybe one day I will have the guts to record it and post it here.

Back to your piece, though. This is a sweet gentle melody that conveys your feelings for your wife beautifully. Beautifully played as well. I am listening to it for the second time now.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/07/09 01:34 PM

Augustina - your dueling violins made me smile smile A very creative use of your keyboard - don't lose that perspective!

Cathy

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/07/09 02:50 PM

Thanks, guys, for your kind comments on my video - and my hands! blush It's amazing what a little dab of Pink Frost Polish will do to make the paws look spiffy. (I don't usually bother with it, but just thought I'd "dress up" for the video). grin

Just listened to "Nardis".. That was terrific, Ed! Such an exotic/jazzy sound, very polished and smoothly played. thumb

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/08/09 11:43 AM

Thanks to Jazzwee, Joe, HIMS, Bill, Dennis, and Elssa, for listening and for the kind comments.

... You always do a serious production with these submissions.

Jazzwee, Re the "production": My ultimate goal is to play in jam sessions, so my BIAB arrangements simulate the arrangements that would be played at the local jazz club. That's why I always include comping for a soloist, and sometimes include trading fours with the drummer, tag endings, etc. Of course, in many cases, I can't play at the tempo they would play at, but someday - - as the song says - - my day will come!

What model Yamaha are you playing? It has a very nice sound.

Bill, it is a Yamaha P120. I don't think they make this exact model anymore, but there is a later model that is similar.

Originally Posted By: Studio Joe

... This is jazz with just the right amount of notes, and the right notes...
laugh

Originally Posted By: TX-Dennis

...and as Joe said just the right amount of notes....

laugh

That's great, guys, 'cause I can't play any more!! laugh

Ed

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/08/09 04:31 PM

HomeInMyShoes - the Schumann was delightful!

Cathy

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/09/09 01:20 AM

Here's a little recording of an old Russian folk song: smile

TWO GUITARS
Posted by: marimorimo

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/09/09 08:21 AM

Just jumping into here -- I've never participated in the piano bars because I've always felt overwhelmed by the talents here crazy. Are there any rules? However even if a beginner like me posts up something, it's bound to be some lame piano piece blush

I've only listened to Riddler's Nardis so far, and I love it!! The piano is great, but the other computer-generated instruments (which I never even recognized as such) sound great too! Would you mind if I downloaded the file and put it in my mp3 player? blush What's this kind of music called, by the way? It sounds like something I'd hear at a bar XD

I'm looking forward to listening to the other participants' entries. You're all very inspiring! 3hearts

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/09/09 09:34 AM

Originally Posted By: marimorimo
Just jumping into here -- I've never participated in the piano bars because I've always felt overwhelmed by the talents here crazy. Are there any rules? However even if a beginner like me posts up something, it's bound to be some lame piano piece blush

marimorimo - only one rule: no rules! Except maybe the piece must be played by you (did this go without saying?) - all pieces by all players at all levels are very welcome - the only "lame" piece is the one not submitted...

JF

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/09/09 09:50 AM

From Alfred 3 here's the study piece I just wrapped up - I recorded this using the Bright Piano "voice" on my DP, which sounds just a little honky tonky, although that's actually another of the 8 piano voices available. Some rascals might claim that it sounds like a Yamaha Grand Piano, but I think that might be a gross exaggeration laugh

The piece is in 3 short sections, the 1st of which repeats at the end somewhat uptempo. It's often played as an accompaniment to "hornpipes".

From Wikipedia:

The term hornpipe refers to any of several dance forms played and danced in Britain and elsewhere from the late 17th century until the present day. It is said that hornpipe as a dance began around the 16th century on English sailing vessels. Movements were those familiar to sailors of that time: "looking out to sea" with the right hand to the forehead, then the left, lurching as in heavy weather, and giving the occasional rhythmic tug to their breeches both fore and aft.

I think versions of this piece are, and have been, long time staples of many Celtic music soloists and bands, often performed on the "fiddle". You are welcome to dance along - rhythmic tugs on your breeches are optional smile

Soldier's Joy

Enjoy, JF

P.S. Why a piece danced to by sailors is called "Soldiers Joy" is anyone's guess ... except maybe soldiers watching sailors try to dance found it hilarious...
Posted by: marie323

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/09/09 09:54 AM

I've always felt the same. I'd thought about it because the threads were supposed to be less formal than the recitals, but every time I listened to anything posted I felt very intimidated.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/09/09 10:09 AM

I think versions of this piece are, and have been, long time staples of many Celtic music soloists and bands, often performed on the "fiddle". You are welcome to dance along - rhythmic tugs on your breeches are optional smile

Soldier's Joy

Enjoy, JF

Delightful little piece John, and sounds like a fun dance. I wish I could see a video of the dance being performed.

Your piano sounds good.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/09/09 04:53 PM

John Frank - Very nicely played. I am not familiar with this piece but enjoyed it and your performance very much.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/09/09 05:15 PM

Studio Joe - what a great rendition of Shadow of Your Smile! Very well done.

I think I'm thru the first page of the piano bar now. . .

Cathy

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/09/09 06:29 PM

Thanks Cathy, I appreciate your time spent in listening and posting your compliments.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/09/09 06:33 PM

John Frank, very nice and peppy! Good playing! thumb BTW you were late this month. Tsk. Tsk. Aren't you always first usually or nearly so smile

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/09/09 06:37 PM

John Frank, very nice and peppy! Good playing! thumb BTW you were late this month. Tsk. Tsk. Aren't you always first usually or nearly so smile

Thanks much - As Yogi used to say: "I would have been here sooner, but I just got here..." crazy

JF
Posted by: David Ruzicka

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/09/09 08:07 PM

I was working on this piece for some time now and I still can't get it right. Nevertheless, I decided to record it anyway and post it here. Hope you'll like it.

It's Johann Sebastian Bach - Prelude in E minor (BWV 941):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oai_zujcIgQ

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/09/09 08:28 PM

Kalai1 (Chris),

Your composition is quite excellent, and played with a very nice touch and good feeling.

Welcome to the piano bar, and I hope you continue to contribute.

Ed

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/09/09 08:35 PM

Kalai1, I missed your post. Nice composition. Pretty tune and well played. Great that you can join us here. thumb

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/09/09 08:40 PM

I've only listened to Riddler's Nardis so far, and I love it!! The piano is great, but the other computer-generated instruments (which I never even recognized as such) sound great too! Would you mind if I downloaded the file and put it in my mp3 player? blush What's this kind of music called, by the way?

Thanks, Marimorimo, I'd be flattered to think my music was on your MP3 player!

As to the type of music - - this is an amateur's attempt at playing jazz. The song was written by Miles Davis, one of the all-time great jazz musicians. It is often played by jazz groups but is not well known outside of that community. I am trying to learn to play with a jazz group, so I use my computer and Band-In-A-Box software to emulate the other players.

I hope you decide to participate. I think you will find these folks to be very supportive and helpful.

Ed

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/09/09 10:26 PM

Elssa, Russian folk songs are always entertaining (especially when accompanied by those crazy Russian dancers). Nice job!

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/09/09 10:28 PM

JohnFrank, Soldier's Joy is a fun little piece. Great job with it. Now, about that voice . . . it most certainly does NOT sound like a Yamaha grand. Perhaps you could have said "a worn out old spinet."

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/09/09 10:30 PM

David Ruzicka, nice job on the Bach prelude. You are too hard on yourself. Good job.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/09/09 10:56 PM

Thanks, Tx-Dennis! I had fun with it. (I used the 12-String Guitar setting instead of just the usual strings this time). grin

YouTube: TWO GUITARS

I enjoyed your playing of "Shadow..", Studio Joe. smile Is that your own arrangement? Very nice!

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/09/09 11:22 PM

He everyone, for those who commented on my submision, thanks very much, I will be submitting more of my music as time goes by, I only know some George Winston pieces and my own pieces, I want to hear a lot of critique on my songs god or bad I want to hear it, since I am self taught I play by ear and I don't know what chords I play I need all the help I can get, aloha.

Chris

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/10/09 03:18 AM

David, love the Bach prelude. You play it very well

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/10/09 06:36 AM

Originally Posted By: TX-Dennis
JohnFrank, Soldier's Joy is a fun little piece. Great job with it. Now, about that voice . . . it most certainly does NOT sound like a Yamaha grand. Perhaps you could have said "a worn out old spinet."

Thanks Dennis - you're, of course, correct about the voice - the rap (by some) on the Yamaha grand is that it is too "brilliant" - taking that as the lead I just thought I would "pull the chain" a little of those who make this claim (rightly or not), who I referred to affectionately as "rascals".

JF

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/10/09 11:30 AM

Bill I like that song, also you sing good^_^

Rickster, I liked your song too, Your piano sounded really nice also can I have it? lol just kidding some day I'll get my own^_^

Jazzwee, I enjoyed listening to your song,sounded fun,Good job*_*

True beginner, your song was also good, and I enjoyed listening to it^_^

HomeInMyShoes, Your song Schumann op. 15, no. 1 was very well played, smile
Studo Joe, Very nice, and pretty, I liked the sound of your piano
Z32 Another pretty song, I enjoyed listening to it:P
Elssa I enjoyed listening to Misty very much, I had to look up the song on the computer, I didn't know where it was that well known:0 .. Sounded good to me also:P
Also your Two guitars was another well played song and enjoyable to listen to,I like watching your hands:) and the winter picture in it was nice, Though made me think of snow which is probably coming in a few weeks:(

TX-Dennis
"Augustina, you played that on a 61 key keyboard? Impressive! It certainly doesn't sound like it would be easy to play"
Yes I played that with a 61 key keyboard, I'll record it again when I go to visit my mom over Thanksgiving and can use her piano:)
Riddler

Augustina, if you have only played that three times, you are a heck of a good reader and player! Note: I got a laugh out of the break for page change - there is a law that says if you have a perfect recording going, just before the ending your music will fall on the floor, or the cat will jump up on the keyboard. Never fails."
Well, I've played it more times now, Trying to get the speed right, but yeah Sight reading is not to hard for me, all those years of band and being forced to sight read:), also As you will find out I can not turn pages fast no matter what song I'm playing. So every song you will listen to now, just listen to that " break" for page turning^_^ because I guarantee it will be in almost every song:)

Also I enjoyed what you did with your song, it was very well played:)

Chris for being self taught and not able to read music, Your song was great:)

John Frank, I love all Irish, Celtic, music thanks for soldiers joy. you played it good:)

David, You played Prelude in E Minor very well, I always enjoy listening to anything by Johann Sebastian Bach ^_^
Oh what can I say I enjoyed listening to everyone's music:P

On side note, this is probably the wrong place to ask The last lesson book I completed years ago was Alfred book 6, how much higher do the levels in piano go? and can I put more then one song on here?:)

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/10/09 11:49 AM

Woo hoo! A cake! You can't get them by me!

Happy birthday Studio Joe. Here's a my very first "by ear" recording that I did for Seaside_Lee in these circumstances a couple of years ago -

Happy Birthday

laugh

Cathy

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/10/09 12:18 PM

Augustina - In addition to your November Piano bar submission I also watched all of your videos on Youtube. I was struck by 2 things:

1. You get a very nice sound from your keyboard, and;
2. You play very well and never seem to make a mistake.

I hope you get your piano soon as you are very talented and the 61 note keyboard may start to hold you back.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/10/09 01:16 PM

Originally Posted By: jotur
Woo hoo! A cake! You can't get them by me!

Happy birthday Studio Joe. Here's a my very first "by ear" recording that I did for Seaside_Lee in these circumstances a couple of years ago -

Happy Birthday

laugh

Cathy

Thanks Cathy, how delightful!

I had another surprise this morning that was comical. A friend of mine wrote on my Facebook wall and said "Happy birthday amigo, I hope you live to be a hundred and then have another year left to repent".
Posted by: Larry Larson

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/10/09 01:19 PM

Nobody here yet? grin

I planned to submit this piece to the recital but changed my mind and submit another one. So here it is for the monthly bar. Cheer

Story Of A Young Girl

TB

TB, this is very nice music. I remember listening to it when you posted it previously. It's very evocative.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/10/09 01:30 PM

Mr. Rickster, you are just full of surprises. Just when I had you pegged as a southern gentleman old time rock 'n' roller, you come up with this. Very nice work. The piano does sound good too. I've experimented a lot with mic placement, and it sure can make a difference. Are you using just one mic?

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/10/09 01:32 PM

Bill, nice job on Fever. Your voice fits well with the song and with your playing style.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/10/09 01:44 PM

JazzWee "All the Things You Are" was nice. I'm good at improvising too, but I don't think I could do it in the style you do. It's a nice tune, and listening to it makes me want to do my own version.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/10/09 01:46 PM

Ed-Riddler - another one of your patented great jazz pieces. I love the tempo on this one, and you were grooving.

Cathy

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/10/09 04:06 PM

Quote:
Lary Larson: Mr. Rickster, you are just full of surprises. Just when I had you pegged as a southern gentleman old time rock 'n' roller, you come up with this. Very nice work. The piano does sound good too. I've experimented a lot with mic placement, and it sure can make a difference. Are you using just one mic?

Thanks for the complements, Larry.

Yes, I did use only one mic, positioned about middle ways of the sound board on a boom stand about 10 inches above the strings. It’s the one I use to sing. Actually, I use a Shure mic (don’t remember the model#) with a Roland keyboard amp that I use to amplify my digital piano on occasion. The Roland amp has a low impendence plug for the mic.

I’ve noticed that a lot big churches with real grand pianos use the mic’s and amplification.

Take care,

Rick

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/10/09 05:04 PM

Still catching up with all the great stuff here this month...

Jazzwee and Rickstser: I really enjoyed your playing/noodling/improv (whatever you call it)! Very creative and interesting! smile I think improvising is the most challenging thing to do. thumb

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/10/09 05:22 PM

Home In My Shoes - I'm not a big classical music fan but I really enjoyed your performance. This was delightful.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/10/09 05:37 PM

Elssa - I'm glad you put this up on Youtube - the boxnet download of a movie file takes forever on my low-rent DSL connection. Very well played!! I like the tempo changes and the energy of this piece.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/10/09 06:49 PM

David Ruzicka - very nice playing of Bach. Pretty good for just a year and a half!

Elssa - You always such an nice touch on the piano smile

Great job!

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/10/09 11:11 PM

bill thank you for the compliment. Though I did make mistakes in all of those 4 songs at least once;-)

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/11/09 01:15 AM

kalai1/Chris - I enjoyed your piece very much.

Cathy

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/11/09 02:10 AM

Hi Cathy, thanks for the compliment, I will be posting more in the next piano bar, aloha.

Chris

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/11/09 06:49 PM

I would like to thank all of you who commented on my Bach video.

I've just listen all contributions in this thread and I enjoyed that very much. Thanks for sharing them.

David
Posted by: Sam S

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/11/09 08:48 PM

Here's your monthly dose of recorder and harpsichord.

It's a version of the aria Bist du bei mir by G.H. Stolzel from the Notebook for Anna Magdalena Bach. I used the G. Henle Verlag Urtext edition and transposed it to G to better suit the recorder. Laurie's cat Squeaky makes a guest appearance in the beginning.

The words to the aria in English (from Wikipedia):

Be Thou With Me

If you are with me, then I will gladly go
to [my] death and to my rest.
Ah, how pleasant would my end be,
if your dear, fair hands shut
my faithful eyes!

Hope you enjoy it,
Sam

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/11/09 09:18 PM

Beautiful job, Sam and Laurie. I'm starting to like the sound of the recorder. I'd never really considered it a serious instrument before. You have proven that preconception to be wrong.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/12/09 01:10 AM

John Frank - Soldiers Joy - smile That was one of the first tunes we put into a contra dance set, and ~ 10 years later we still play it. We flank it with Fireside Reel and Over the Waterfall.

I don't know why a hornpipe is called Soldiers Joy, but one of the alternate names for this tune is Payday in the Army - which makes sense. It's one of those tunes that went back and forth across the North Atlantic, and there's a Norwegian set dance to the same tune.

When we were looking for a band name we considered tune names to use, and I suggested we call ourselves Red-haired Boys and Soldiers Joys, but alas, we didn't. We're Roaring Jelly, whose folk etymology says RJ refers to a mining explosive - gelignite. The alternate name for that tune is Smash the Windows smile .

So I think it's fun that you played this tune - nice version, too.

Cathy

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/12/09 01:12 AM

John Frank - Soldiers Joy - smile That was one of the first tunes we put into a contra dance set, and ~ 10 years later we still play it. We flank it with Fireside Reel and Over the Waterfall.

I don't know why a hornpipe is called Soldiers Joy, but one of the alternate names for this tune is Payday in the Army - which makes sense. It's one of those tunes that went back and forth across the North Atlantic, and there's a Norwegian set dance to the same tune.

When we were looking for a band name we considered tune names to use, and I suggested we call ourselves Red-haired Boys and Soldiers Joys, but alas, we didn't. We're Roaring Jelly, whose folk etymology says RJ refers to a mining explosive - gelignite. The alternate name for that tune is Smash the Windows smile .

So I think it's fun that you played this tune - nice version, too.

EDIT: Oh, I lied. We flank it with Red-haired Boy ( smile ) and Whiskey Before Breakfast. Liberty is the tune we put between Fireside and Waterfall. How could I forget?

Cathy

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/12/09 04:50 AM

Catching up again.

@Elssa: Two Guitars. Now I know the name of the song. Nicely played
@John Frank: I didn't notice until about half-way through that my foot had started tapping
@David Ruzicka: Beautiful. I wish my Bach playing had that much composure and smoothness
@jotur: always good to have Happy Birthday in your back pocket.
@Sam Smith: very cool. Nice recording
Posted by: PianoU1

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/12/09 12:37 PM

Hello all,
my name is Martin and i'm a 44 year old male from England.
I've been playing for 3 years and am studying for LCM grade 5 piano.
Here is my first video, go easy on me smile
Posted by: Bill Logan

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/12/09 12:43 PM

Hi Martin,
Very nice indeed. Thanks for sharing your talent.
Bill

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/12/09 03:37 PM

Welcome to the forum PianoU1 (Martin). Quite nice. I haven't heard many rags with slower tempos and it really brings out some nice contrasts.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/12/09 04:09 PM

Thankyou for the generous comments.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/12/09 04:19 PM

David Ruzika - I like Bach, and that was a very charming piece, and nicely played.

Cathy

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/13/09 12:54 AM

Elssa - I'm glad you put this up on Youtube - the boxnet download of a movie file takes forever on my low-rent DSL connection. Very well played!! I like the tempo changes and the energy of this piece.

Thanks, Bill! Yes, I'm going to use youtube from now on.. I'm finally used to how to do it.

Here's another one, on youtube.. Hope you enjoy: smile

MOON RIVER

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/13/09 07:52 AM

Elssa - What a great morning coffee tune. I really like your improv intro and ending. Very well done.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/13/09 08:59 PM

Elssa - I like folk music, and that was a nice piece.

Sam and Laurie - of course I loved it smile There's an English county dance musicians workshop coming up in Albuquerque in January and I'm looking forward to the mix of instruments.

Cathy

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/13/09 09:17 PM

Nice little rag, Martin. Very enjoyable.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/13/09 09:21 PM

Nice Moon River, Elssa. I haven't played this song in years. Maybe it's time to dig it out again. I certainly enjoyed your version.

My favorite vocal version is Patti Page

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/13/09 10:02 PM

Thanks, Dennis. I think it's just about my all-time favorite song, and that video you posted is lovely.. Never heard that version before, but it's really nice! smile

Your intro's, endings, and fills are so cool!

Thanks, Ed! BTW, I demonstrate all of these runs, fills, intros, endings, turn-arounds, etc in detail with the songs "Misty" and "Moon River" in my new instructional video (www.learnpianowithelssa.com). smile
Posted by: Triryche

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/14/09 12:26 AM

I had a fairly good practice tonite and ended up with a little extra me time so i decide to stop in the bar for a few (to my misfortune I really haven't hung here that much).

WOW!!

Just wanted to say I thoroughly enjoyed all the pieces!!
There really is a nice range of talent and I love the diversity.

Round of drinks on me!! cool

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/14/09 05:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Elssa

Your intro's, endings, and fills are so cool!

Thanks, Ed! BTW, I demonstrate all of these runs, fills, intros, endings, turn-arounds, etc in detail with the songs "Misty" and "Moon River" in my new instructional video (www.learnpianowithelssa.com). smile

Elssa - love your song selections and your tasteful and highly listenable performances - so very enjoyable!

As I've said before, someday when I grow up I want to be able to play songs like that, like that!

I guess I'm just going to have to get into your instructional video, the link to which you smoothly and deftly make available in replies to compliments you get here - I like how you do that, in the best tradition of free enterprise marketing - I'd do the same if I had an instructional video... smile

JF
Posted by: tatiana110

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/14/09 01:35 PM

Hello my dear friends,

I am finally back from my India trip - and I was amazed to see so many wonderful pieces played at the piano bar this month! Elssa, the Two guitars is awesome, it was a very popular gypsy dance melody in Russia in the 70s-80s, only there it is played faster and more cheerful - thank you for bringing some very nice childhood memories smile. I wish I had score for this melody, as I really would love to learn this piece one day.

David, I loved your Bach prelude also, very refined playing. I'd love to hear more from your baroque repertoire. thumb

I see Rickster falling in love with Elssa hands... while I way away for two weeks grin Although seeing Elssa playing I totally understand why smile

I also so happy to see the new faces here and listen to your music. Welcome folks!

I still have a lot to catch up, but here is my November contribution that I recorded yesterday night - not polished enough (you'd notice an awkward pause after section A), but I fell in love with this little miniature and I will continue working on it.. I hope I got a decent interpretation (I never hear anybody playing it before).

Ruth Watson Henderson - Toccatina

Being in India and having quite a few oil massages and lots of Yoga there I found my fingers more flexible and sensitive, and my feel for the keyboard improved. But I missed my piano practice while I was away... Anyway, I am glad to be back smile

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/14/09 01:56 PM

Why Martin/PianoU1 - it's easy to go easy on you! That was wonderful - I love pensive pieces, and I love ragtime, and you did this quite well smile

Cathy

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/14/09 02:42 PM

I guess I'm just going to have to get into your instructional video, the link to which you smoothly and deftly make available in replies to compliments you get here - I like how you do that, in the best tradition of free enterprise marketing - I'd do the same if I had an instructional video... smile
JF

Yes, very enterprising and absolutely OK by me, as long as I continue to get my 15% for the compliments. laugh

Actually, I was going to suggest that Elssa paint a few ads on her hands, which certainly get some attention at times, but I was concerned that might be considered a bit ... uh....heavyhanded. laugh

Another great performance, Elssa. You have really mastered this style of playing.

Ed
Posted by: AnthonyB

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/14/09 06:45 PM

I hardly ever learn extra pieces besides what I work on for the recitals but I was testing out the pianoteq 3.5 demo and noticed that I could make a recording of a short piece with it.

The piece is in the Best Of Ludovico Einaudi book and is titled Le Onde Conzone Popolare (Francia, 1500ca.)

This was likely Ludovico's inspiration for Le Onde. I only spent a few minutes working on it before pushing the red dot so I hope you don't mind the timing issues. smile

http://www.box.net/shared/s907m7qu8v

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/14/09 08:53 PM

I went to visit my sister today; So we decided to play some Duets. We don't get to play them very much since I see her about once a month. Anyways this is one of the only songs we can play decent at the moment, so here is My Heart Will go on from Titanic:) I still can't turn pages but enjoy.

http://www.box.net/shared/3y69c9g099

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/15/09 01:31 AM

tatiana - what an interesting piece - well done.

Anthony - what a nice warm-up before I go to the recital smile this really had a nice singing feel to it.

Augustina - I remember sitting down and playing through a book of duets with a friend of mine, it's great fun. What a treat to share the red dot with your sister.

Cathy

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/15/09 08:33 AM

Tatiana, lovely Toccatina! You play it very well.

Anthony B, Short and sweet, nicely done.

Augstina, Sounds like fun. enjoyed it.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/15/09 08:44 AM

Here is a bonus from me, since I've already submitted one this month.

I had forgot about doing this and just discovered I had it on Soundclick.

It is a multi track production of Blue Velvet played with tine piano, strings, bass, and drums.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/15/09 01:04 PM

AntonyB - what a lovely playing! thumb (I also started to learn Einaudi's version of Le Onde yesterday, I love the melody)

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/15/09 01:06 PM

Studio Joe - that was a very professional recording, I enjoyed listening to it so much, thank you for sharing!

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/15/09 01:09 PM

Say Joe, I played that more than once! Where I dance we'd turn on the disco ball for that one laugh I loved it smile .

Cathy

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/15/09 01:14 PM

Originally Posted By: tatiana110
AntonyB - what a lovely playing! thumb (I also started to learn Einaudi's version of Le Onde yesterday, I love the melody)

Thanks.

I'll be impatiently awaiting your version of Einaudi's Le Onde. smile

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/15/09 01:15 PM

Martin, this was a nice and very thoughtful performance. I am not familiar with this piece - is it supposed to be played slowly? I like your tempo, it really brings up the melody. The middle part sounds really exceptional.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/15/09 01:34 PM

Cathy and Joe, thank you so much for listening to Toccatina and commenting on it, I really appreciate this. This is not the type of music I'd usually play, but I thought I'd give it a good try smile

Here is my second contribution, this time from my usual classical/romantic repertoire - Arietta by Grieg, recorded yesterday.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/15/09 01:36 PM

Originally Posted By: AnthonyB

Thanks.

I'll be impatiently awaiting your version of Einaudi's Le Onde. smile

ok, I'll give it a priority smile

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/16/09 02:13 AM

Hi Tatiana,

Hello my dear friends,

I am finally back from my India trip - and I was amazed to see so many wonderful pieces played at the piano bar this month! Elssa, the Two guitars is awesome, it was a very popular gypsy dance melody in Russia in the 70s-80s, only there it is played faster and more cheerful - thank you for bringing some very nice childhood memories smile. I wish I had score for this melody, as I really would love to learn this piece one day.

Welcome back, and thanks so much for your kind comments. I'm enjoying listening to your new pieces too! smile You're absolutely right about Two Guitars.. It's a lively piece and should be played that way all the way through, not just at the end. I redid it and tried to put more pep into the whole thing this time. I couldn't play it too much faster, though, as my fingers would get all tangled up. laugh

TWO GUITARS (#2)

BTW, I do have a score I could send you if interested, but this is mostly my own arrangement.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/16/09 02:50 AM

Martin, this was a nice and very thoughtful performance. I am not familiar with this piece - is it supposed to be played slowly? I like your tempo, it really brings up the melody. The middle part sounds really exceptional.

thanks for your kind comments, the score has a direction of 'thoughtful' which leaves a lot of room for interpretation!

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/16/09 02:40 PM

Studio Joe - Very well played and professionally produced - I was kind of hoping that you would start singing at some point since your picture shows you with a microphone. Oh well, maybe next time.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/16/09 02:48 PM

Thanks Bill, I'll sing for you on the next one. Already got one in the works.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/16/09 04:15 PM

Hi All,

I’ve enjoyed the November piano bar so far! All the submissions were excellent.

And, welcome back, Tatiana! I enjoyed listening to your latest submissions. I’m actually not a “two-timer” in regards to being in love with your lovely hands. Elssa has lovely hands too. Fact is, both of you have lovely hands and your music is just as lovely!!

I see your lovely hands and I hear your lovely music…. Sounds like a beautiful love song in the making!! grin

Best regards,

Rick

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/16/09 05:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Elssa
Hi Tatiana,

Welcome back, and thanks so much for your kind comments. I'm enjoying listening to your new pieces too! smile You're absolutely right about Two Guitars.. It's a lively piece and should be played that way all the way through, not just at the end. I redid it and tried to put more pep into the whole thing this time. I couldn't play it too much faster, though, as my fingers would get all tangled up. laugh

TWO GUITARS (#2)

BTW, I do have a score I could send you if interested, but this is mostly my own arrangement.

Elssa,

Your second take is outstanding! I can picture gypsies dancing while you are playing... thumb

Yes, I would love to get your arrangement of the Two Guitars (not that I will be able to master it any time soon, but I will make an effort! smile ) Thank you so much for your kind offer.

Tatiana

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/16/09 06:50 PM

Hey look, two entries in one month!

Of course, this is a video of an early recital piece I did here on the ABF. I had a video of this on youtube but with extremely low quality audio so I took the time today to make a new video.

It was also a chance to play a bit more with pianoteq 3.5 as I'm using the demo and this is one of the few pieces that I know that does not hit any of the 6 disabled notes.

Thanks for listening/watching...

Now, I know it might be a bit late for those who just did the recital but another reason I made this video was that I was going to work on a tutorial of sorts for working with audio/video. How I use a few tools to line up the audio from different sources. I can give instructions for linux based systems fairly easily but I'll have to do some work in windows to find a program and get instructions for that. I know all the commands from my shell prompt but adding a gui in windows will make things much harder. smile
Posted by: ddh

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/16/09 08:11 PM

Sounded awfully good, Anthony, and superbly played as well; now, I guess You'll have to buy the full version or find more songs that don't use the 6 notes in question. confused

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/16/09 08:24 PM

Originally Posted By: ddh
Sounded awfully good, Anthony, and superbly played as well; now, I guess You'll have to buy the full version or find more songs that don't use the 6 notes in question. confused

I just started work on a new one that avoids the disabled notes. I went through all the sheet music I have and got down to about 12 pieces out of over 70 or so that avoid the disabled notes (three of the sharps/flats in the bass section are the problem.)

Out of those 12 I can already play two but they aren't really difficult pieces. A few of the 10 left I might have a chance at playing. Monica's latest recital piece is one of the 10 left but somehow I don't see that one in my near future. eek
Posted by: laterlearner

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/16/09 09:16 PM

Beautiful ... love it!

Thank you

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/16/09 09:23 PM

Tatiana,
Quote:
Your second take is outstanding! I can picture gypsies dancing while you are playing... Yes, I would love to get your arrangement of the Two Guitars (not that I will be able to master it any time soon, but I will make an effort! ) Thank you so much for your kind offer.

No problem. smile I sent it along to you.. Hope it went through O.K. Thanks again for your comments and helpful suggestion! grin

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/17/09 01:04 AM

Elssa,

Thank you for score - it went through. Now I have it!!! yippie

Btw, the original Russian name for this piece is 'Tsyganochka' (='Gypsy Girl')

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/17/09 04:05 AM

Hey look, two entries in one month!

Of course, this is a video of an early recital piece I did here on the ABF. I had a video of this on youtube but with extremely low quality audio so I took the time today to make a new video.
Thanks for listening/watching...

Very nice Anthony. That is some good musicianship. Pianoteq sounds great, especially controled by your nimble fingers
Posted by: angelojf

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/17/09 04:07 PM

Here's a latest: http://www.box.net/shared/lorcycbufv

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/17/09 04:12 PM

angelo - thanks for making washing dishes tolerable. A hard task, but you were up to it. I love the upbeat parts. Really nice jazzy feel.

Cathy

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/17/09 04:20 PM

Thanks Cathy!
I may not get you to be a Phillies fan, so thanks for listening, and congrats on the World Series!

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/18/09 02:43 AM

David Ruzicka, nice work on Bach's Prelude in E minor. Hope you post more of your music.

Sam Smith, I really like these harpsichord/recorder duets. They are so peaceful, serene. All is right with the world (for a few minutes, at least).

Martin, very nice. I was puzzled at first by the title, but it is indeed pensive! Well done.

Elssa, loved the Moon River. The cross handed thing was nifty! I think one of the keys to your success is that you integrate your right and left hands so smoothly, so that you can create a very full sound without needing any olympian acrobatic effort by either hand. If we only had the audio, we'd be thinking - geez, she must have ten fingers on her right hand. Well done!

Tatiana, both pieces were beautifully played. You have a very nice touch, nice expression. Well done!

Anthony, great job on the Einaudi piece. Very peaceful, calming. Also liked the video piece. Reminded me of The Piano.

Augustina, nice duet. Family fun at the piano can be such a wonderful experience. Well done to you both.

Joe, nice work on Blue Velvet. Brought back some memories!

Elssa, great work, and a nifty ending on the Two Guitars video.

Angelo, Greensleeves with rhythmic variations! Very interesting, dishes or no dishes!

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/18/09 05:19 AM

And, welcome back, Tatiana! I enjoyed listening to your latest submissions. I’m actually not a “two-timer” in regards to being in love with your lovely hands. Elssa has lovely hands too. Fact is, both of you have lovely hands and your music is just as lovely!!

Rick

Hey Rick! I have to "hand" it to you - you're going to start making these ladies so self-conscious about their hands that they're going to wear gloves to play for their videos, much to the detriment and chagrin of the rest of us...

JF

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/18/09 09:42 AM

TRUE BEGINNER - A nice contribution/composition. Apt title!

BILL - Cool vocal effects! Another victorious entry in your repertoire! Thanks for including the scat, too.

RICK - You will never wear out your welcome with a rock and roll! I really enjoyed your pensive work here... Just a suggestion here: When you release your Rock and Roll CD to the public, mabe make "Restoration" the last tune on it. It has a great feeling to it, and it would make the perfect last song on a rocking CD!

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/18/09 12:57 PM

Thanks for the comments, John and Angelo!

And, in regards to my comments about the ladies lovely hands, the human hand is indeed a wonderful work of creation (or evolution, if that is what you believe), whether male or female. Just think about what all we can do with our hands…. the skills that can be accomplished with them.

Of course, some hands are better looking than others! grin

Keep up the good work everyone!

Rick

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/18/09 01:28 PM

Well, last one for awhile before I get busy
Its still not perfect, but I love this song:) here it is
Oh I recorded the song with my mp3 player, so the audio is not that great, I couldn't find my camera lol:)

http://www.box.net/shared/ezl9vi5331

Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring, by Johann Sebastian Bach

I'll get caught up with listening to everyone's music tonight:P

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/18/09 02:29 PM

Nice one Augustina, and appropriate for the season. I've always loved that piece.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/18/09 04:10 PM

angelojf- You piano playing has gotten quite good - Very well done. I hope Santa brings you a recorder that better captures the high quality of your performances.
Posted by: TTigg

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/18/09 04:31 PM

Now, I know it might be a bit late for those who just did the recital but another reason I made this video was that I was going to work on a tutorial of sorts for working with audio/video. How I use a few tools to line up the audio from different sources. I can give instructions for linux based systems fairly easily but I'll have to do some work in windows to find a program and get instructions for that. I know all the commands from my shell prompt but adding a gui in windows will make things much harder. smile

wow thumb great video and excellent playing!. I'd be seriously interested in learning how to get that type of angle / low light shot since I love the whole black & white feel (kind of like the keys)
- SC

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/18/09 10:51 PM

AnthonyB, that little piece (Le Onde etc.) was interesting. Nice job!

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/18/09 10:53 PM

Augustina, duets are such fun . . . but I really suck at them. You don't.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/18/09 10:55 PM

Studio Joe, Blue Velvet has never been one of my favorites, but you made a great recording there. Nice job!

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/18/09 11:00 PM

tatiana, I enjoyed both of your pieces. I thought you played particularly well on the first one.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/18/09 11:04 PM

angelojf, that is a really interesting version of Greensleeves with lots of variations. I hear some hints of the Guaraldi arrangement, but other variations as well. Nice!

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/18/09 11:09 PM

AnthonyB, that's a pretty sweet sounding, Stella. Nice job.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/18/09 11:14 PM

Augustina, I love Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring. It has to be my favorite Bach piece. I can't play it for crap, but I love it. Thanks for this. Is that a string quartet voice? I usually HATE synthetic strings, but this seems pretty appropriate for the piece. Quite enjoyable.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/19/09 01:47 AM

Anthonyb Great job I enjoyed both your songs alot
angelojf: Was very enjoyable thank you
tatiana110: Both of your songs were pretty and you play well
Studio Joe: I also enjoyed this one a lot Blue Velvet and liked the way you recorded it, was good
TX-Dennis, thank you, I also love that song, and I messed around on my keyboard for a sound that would sound good with it, "Strings2 as they call it on the keyboard" is what I used? Playing Duets with my sister is a lot of fun. I just talked her into joining the forum actually, so she should be here soon:)

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/19/09 04:27 AM

Aloha everyone, I decided to upload another piano piece that I played, this is one that George Winston wrote,called Thanksgiving, I decided to start learning to play this one almost 2 weeks ago and this is what I got so far, I only play by ear, no sheet music ( I wish I knew how to read music), comments are welcome.
The upload is on my website at
http://www.koawoodhawaii.com
and right at the top of the page is 2 different songs that you can upload the second one is Thanksginging, the link says Download Unknown Artist - Thanksgiving so click onto that and tell me what you think, thanks and aloha.

Chris "Kalai1"

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/19/09 04:45 AM

Catching up after finally getting through the recital. I can't believe how much I missed just in a week.

@Elssa: I loved Moon River. For Two Guitars. Faster, faster, faster. Sorry, that piece just always gets me going. Really entertaining.

@tatianna110: Herderson's Toccatina was beautiful and Grieg really doesn't get much play around here. Thanks for sharing these. I really enjoyed them.

@AnthonyB: the Einaudi was too short. It was really drawing me in. The video in the second one was great. Really enjoyable performance.

@Augustina: the duet sounds like fun. I love Jesu as well. I've worked on it a few times. Mine is a clunker in the worst ways. Very enjoyable.

@Studio Joe: smooth. Just like velvet. smile

@angelojf: I loved this. I need to start on the Christmas carols. I've got Vince Guaraldi's Charlie Brown Christmas here (it was one of the things Santa brought me last year).

@kalai1: I remember this one. What you had so far sounded great.

Is anyone else have some issues with some of the Box.net stuff. The .wav's from angelojf and Augustina wouldn't play in Windows Media Player after downloading. RealPlayer played them. I'm pretty sure my drivers are up to date and they were just .wav files. Oh well. At least I got to hear them.
Posted by: PeggySue

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/19/09 09:53 AM

Rick

Yes, mine included laugh - but FCOL enough about hands already - hands off! wink

PeggySue

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/19/09 11:40 AM

Quote:
Yes, mine included - but FCOL enough about hands already - hands off!

PeggySue

Hi PeggySue,

I’m afraid I don’t know what “FCOL” means. But, I’ll tell you what… I won’t mention hands again on the AB forum.

Best regards,

Rick
Posted by: ladypayne

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/19/09 12:21 PM

Hey everyone, first time posting in this forum/thread smile Decided to try and upload a piano piece I played. It's a very simple version of the Music Box Dancer. I'll have to go through and listen to everyone else's playing. :P
enjoy!
http://www.box.net/shared/l03apivz9f

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/19/09 05:14 PM

hey sister good job:D

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/19/09 06:41 PM

Welcome to the forum ladypayne.

One of my dad's favourites. Nicely done. Thanks for the memories.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/19/09 09:23 PM

Kalai1, I have not heard Thanksgiving before. It is a beautiful piece, and you played it equally beautifully. Great job!

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/19/09 09:24 PM

Hello, Augustina's siter (ladypayne). Welcome to the forum. Nice playing on Music Box Dancer. This one brings back memories.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/20/09 04:29 AM

@HomeInMyShoes thanks for listening and commenting.
@TX-Dennis thanks also for taking the time to listen and comment on my new piano piece.
I posted on the recital and from the comments I got it seems like I can say I play New Age Style Piano, I like it a lot and I am still learning all the terms and stuff, I am totaly self taught just by listening to George Winston, now I am trying to broaden my ability and listening to other piano music, and I must say PianoWorld has helped me listen to a lot of great and varied piano music, it is giving me new ideas and sounds to play around with, thanks and aloha.

Chris

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/20/09 11:13 AM

Hey Kalai1, I listened to your piece and it was very beautiful. Nice job and appropriate for the season too! :p
Posted by: Loves Pugs Too

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/20/09 11:42 AM

For Crying Out Loud?

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/20/09 05:07 PM

Sounds good to me… I was thinking “For Californians Out of the Loop”, or “For Competent Outstanding Leadership”, how about “Forum Celebrities On a Locomotive” or “For Centuries On Land”, or maybe “Friends Can Offer Love”. Yea, that’s a good one. thumb

Take care,

Rick

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/20/09 05:10 PM

It's in the urban dictionary.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/20/09 05:41 PM

Thanks for the comments, John and Angelo!

And, in regards to my comments about the ladies lovely hands, the human hand is indeed a wonderful work of creation (or evolution, if that is what you believe), whether male or female. Just think about what all we can do with our hands…. the skills that can be accomplished with them.
Keep up the good work everyone!

Thanks again, all, for listening and your kind comments! smile Well, I type all day for a living (medical transcription), so my fingers/hands are always busy and getting a workout. grin eek

Tatiana, maybe we should apply for one of those hand soap commercials - can't remember if it was Ivory or Palmolive, with Madge...("you're soaking in it!"). shocked wink

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/20/09 07:22 PM

What's better than Bach? Two Bachs. smile So here is my second Bach video in this month. I feel very productive now smile

It's Prelude in G minor (BWV 929):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEX9uHZWQno

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/20/09 07:54 PM

Very nice, David!! I like it!

Thanks for sharing!

Rick

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/20/09 08:52 PM

I also enjoyed listening to it David. Nicely done smile

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/21/09 05:10 AM

Another really nicely done Bach Prelude David.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/21/09 07:47 AM

David it was very good:)

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/21/09 04:27 PM

Hi All!

I was just playing around last night and came up with another original blues tune. If you like blues you might like it. Anyway, it is original.

I hope you enjoy it!

http://www.youtube.com/user/Rick22228

Take care,

Rick

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/21/09 04:42 PM

Hey Rick, I am no expert but it sounds good to bee, keep up the good work, aloha.

Chris

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/21/09 05:17 PM

Rick, I like it.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/21/09 07:37 PM

Rickster - I liked this a lot! Very nice vocal and piano work.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/21/09 07:42 PM

David - I enjoyed your video very much. Thanks for posting.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/21/09 09:48 PM

jazzwee:

Nice Work ! ! !

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/21/09 09:54 PM

Augustina:

Beautiful work there!

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/21/09 10:00 PM

homeinmyshoes:

For some reason, my computer wouldn't let me play your piece.....

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/21/09 10:05 PM

Studio Joe:

Wow....that is so great.....great work.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/21/09 11:12 PM

Very enjoyable prelude, David.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/21/09 11:18 PM

Great blues, Rick. I can tell you had fun with it.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/22/09 04:25 AM

@Rickster: well, there's no standing ovation/encore/clapping smiley so, tiki . Really entertaining.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/22/09 09:09 AM

Thanks for the comments on my new blues tune, all!

Actually, I was just playing around on the piano Friday night and feeling kind of down (blues all over me grin) and this song sort of came to me. It is a catchy little tune though.

The thing about blues music is that, after a while, it all seems to sound alike; although that doesn’t mean it doesn’t sound really good. I guess most all styles of music are like that to an extent. (I wish I had left off the silly laugh at the end, but my music does that to me… it puts a smile on my face most of the time; or either tears in my eyes! grin)

Anyway, the song is one I’ll add to my “homemade repertoire” grin.

Take care everyone, and keep up the great playing!

Rick
Posted by: Loves Pugs Too

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/22/09 10:36 AM

You are a real talent Rick, thanks for posting - Encore!
Richard

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/22/09 08:42 PM

ladypayne - I could see the little dancer twirling around on top of the box smile

Cathy

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/23/09 07:38 AM

(I wish I had left off the silly laugh at the end, but my music does that to me… it puts a smile on my face most of the time; or either tears in my eyes! grin)
Rick

Dude, that chuckle at the end is your trademark, and it's got to stay!

As far as all blues music sounding the same, well, maybe that's true for bad blues music, but not for good blues music. Sure, the chord progressions are predictable and formulaic, but a lot of good stuff can happen within that structure. It's all about heart, and you've got plenty of that, so don't worry.

Isn't it nice to have such an outlet when we feel bad? It sure beats kicking the dog, or telling the wife "yes, in fact, your butt does look fat in those jeans..." Now there's a couple song titles for ya.....

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/23/09 10:17 AM

Hi everyone, I'm making an 'appearance' again grin I've been busy gathering up my courage and working on a piece to submit for the Piano Bar (my first), but it still needs some polishing. I may end up submitting it next month...we'll see.

Meanwhile, I've been listening to some of the great contributions here (sorry, there are many so I won't be able to comment on some of the other performances!):

Ladypayne - such a cute piece! It gives me fond memories smile

David - Bach Prelude in G minor is so beautifully played too! Now I'm even more inspired to tackle some Bach - which I will, since I've just decided to concentrate on Baroque music next laugh

Elssa - I really love the Two Guitars piece smile It's the first time I heard it. What voice/s did you use with your DP?

Rick - You've got a great voice! Goes well with the piano playing too laugh

Studio Joe - Very nice playing in "The Shadow of Your Smile." Did you improvise that or were you reading from the sheet? smile

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/23/09 10:38 AM

Studio Joe - Very nice playing in "The Shadow of Your Smile." Did you improvise that or were you reading from the sheet? smile

Thanks Marimorimo, Actually I started with an imoprov which I kept adjusting untill I had it like I wanted, and memorized. Then I wrote the sheet music accordingly.

When I recorded, I was reading from the music I had written. Below is a link to the music if anyone is interested.

http://texas-trax.com/sofs.htm

--

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/23/09 11:06 AM

Hi, Joe -

I printed out your arrangement. I'm trying to get away from always doing oom-pah when I make my own accompaniment, and thought playing and studying yours would give me a boost. Thanks for letting us print it.

Cathy

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/23/09 11:13 AM

Originally Posted By: jotur
Hi, Joe -

I printed out your arrangement. I'm trying to get away from always doing oom-pah when I make my own accompaniment, and thought playing and studying yours would give me a boost. Thanks for letting us print it.

Cathy

You are welcome Cathy, I hope you can make good use of it.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/24/09 08:20 AM

@ Joe: Neat! You make your own arrangements! That's like walking on the moon for me grin Thanks for sharing the sheet music - it's now going into my thick pile of "will play someday list" help

Here's my first ever submission here at PW. I've practiced this short piece so much it's a miracle my ears aren't bleeding yet whome Not to mention the nnnth takes with the recorder on! This recording business sure is tough!

Fantasie by Telemann.mp3
(4shared link - you can play the file from your browser without downloading).

Feel free to flame my amateurish efforts at Baroque music and adding dynamics (I appreciate constructive criticism). blush

I recorded this as MIDI from my DP then added the piano soudfont and converted to mp3 using Synthfont, but I'm still looking for a good .sf2 soundfont. Anybody know one?

Btw, I didn't know Box.net required a membership fee! shocked

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/24/09 09:45 AM

Very good! and timely (for me) since I've just been studying the Baroque period of music.

Enjoyed it very much.

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/24/09 10:13 AM

hey marimorimo your fantasie piece was nice to listen to and box.net does not require a membership fee. They also have a free option you can sign up for. I think the other two options you can sign up for costs money smile

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/25/09 05:47 AM

Studio Joe: Thanks! I've just started studying Baroque music too, because I read it's good for hand independence.

ladypayne: Thanks for pointing that out! It seems I can create a free account at Box.net so I'll use that next time. And thanks for the comment too smile
Posted by: babama

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/27/09 11:31 AM

Scriabin - Etude Op. 2 No. 1

http://www.mediafire.com/?zqqnnwmzgwy

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/27/09 12:58 PM

To babama...

Excellent playing! Sounds way beyond an adult beginner! Your digital piano sounded great too!

Thanks for posting! I enjoyed it much!

Rick

Re: November Piano Bar - 11/27/09 01:04 PM

Originally Posted By: babama
Scriabin - Etude Op. 2 No. 1

http://www.mediafire.com/?zqqnnwmzgwy

Very good, beautiful music an expertly rendered.