Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances )

Posted by: Mr Super-Hunky

Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/01/09 01:39 PM

A lot of us have a few holiday tunes we can play so let's post 'em up here in one location.

Personally, I'm getting sick of all the made-up junk holidays....(black friday, cyber monday etc) and would really like to get into the REAL holiday spirit and listen to some nice Christmas/holiday piano tunes performed by our own members. So, if you've got anything, let us all hear it. Maybe over the next month we could all add a performance to the list. Don't be shy as this is not a recital or anything, just a place to have some fun and enjoy the holiday season along with the performances or our members.

(p.s) Mines coming next week as I'm currently experiencing a few "misfires" in which I press down the key but nothing plays. Tech is coming out Sat to tune and fix...I hope!
Posted by: Swingin' Barb

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/01/09 02:25 PM

Here ya go Mr S-H. We have a holiday music thread on the Sudnow forum. I recently posted my arrangement of Silver Bells. In the process, I learned something of interest about the song (all credit goes to our brilliant forum leader).

Seems as though the working title of the song was "Tinkle Bells". One of the composers of the tune, Jay Livingston, went home and told his wife the name of the song. She said, "Are you out of your mind?". She explained to him the double meaning of the word "tinkle". grin

http://www.box.net/shared/7i6mcnbm7i

Barb
Posted by: jotur

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/01/09 03:39 PM

Wow, Barb! That was terrific! My favorite yet of your tunes. I loved it. Great way to start the holiday music.
thumb

Cathy
Posted by: TrapperJohn

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/01/09 03:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Swingin' Barb
Seems as though the working title of the song was "Tinkle Bells". One of the composers of the tune, Jay Livingston, went home and told his wife the name of the song. She said, "Are you out of your mind?". She explained to him the double meaning of the word "tinkle". grin

Barb

smile One of my wife's favorite expressions - especially when traveling as we encounter yet another convenient location of "America's Potty" (aka, McDonald's).

Nice playing Barb!

JF
Posted by: Monica K.

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/01/09 03:44 PM

Oh, I'm glad you started this thread, hunky. I really like the one we did last year. I'll have something soon. In fact, I sat down yesterday and rattled off a perfect take of my intended piece, only to go to the Q3 and see the error message: "memory full." mad bah

Guess I should've replaced the skimpy flash card that came with the unit with an 8GB card, huh? whome
Posted by: angelojf

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/01/09 03:54 PM

Barb,

That was just terrific....loved it....how you put so many ideas into that! Great!
Posted by: BillM

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/01/09 03:58 PM

Barb - I love all of the Christmas ornaments that you have hung on this great rendition. You have dressed this up nicely for the holidays!
Posted by: foxyw

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/01/09 03:59 PM

That was really pretty Barb! I enjoyed it very much.

I'm learning some new music for the holidays and hope to be able to record and post something here soon.

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/01/09 04:04 PM

Wow – I just checked the forum and this page started to grow. Hey – thanks so much everyone. You are making me blush. blush

Please, someone put up a holiday song. I feel so alone here. frown

John - I agree - McDonald's makes car travel enjoyable. smile
Posted by: Strings & Wood

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/01/09 04:13 PM

Good job Barb... I love the music of Christmas. It really gives my spirit a boost. I'll have something in a few days, probably a fairly bare tree though. smile
Posted by: mom3gram

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/01/09 04:29 PM

Terrific! I love Christmas music!

Barb, "Silver Bells" is one of my alltime favorites. I chuckled at your story of it's almost title, as my mom used to use that expression when we were kids. :-)
Love your rendition - nice harmonizing.

I'm working on "Greensleeves" ("What Child is This"), and it's coming along really well. It's the first time that I've used the overlapping pedal, and I'm really enjoying it. Unfortunately, I have no way to record it to my computer, but I'm looking forward to hearing a lot of great Christmas tunes here. Bring them on!
Posted by: Canonie

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/01/09 04:47 PM

Very nice, lots of rich chords, actually it sounds like you have extra fingers wink

didn't make me want to tinkle, which is nice.

Monika, that is so frustrating! grrr...

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/01/09 06:28 PM

Ok, I've been having a lot of fun playing Christmas carols by ear lately, and inspired by Scott Joplin, and jazzwee, and Swingin' Barb, I've tried some "interesting" chords. So here's my "reharmonized" version of Joy to the World with funky (for me) chords:

Joy to the World

It's a treat to figure these out. I've even tried Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire (The Christmas Song?), which I wouldn't have been able to do before. Life is so much fun laugh

Happy holidays, all -

Cathy
Posted by: Morodiene

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/01/09 06:32 PM

Cathy, some surprising chords in there, but they work!

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/01/09 06:35 PM

Cathy,

Wow! That is so cool and joyful. I loved it. You were born to "reharmonize". You sound like you have been using those funky chords for years. smokin

I didn't want it to stop so, I just let it play for 5 or so choruses.

Barb

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/01/09 06:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Carl Mc
Good job Barb... I love the music of Christmas. It really gives my spirit a boost. I'll have something in a few days, probably a fairly bare tree though. smile

Thank you Carl. I'm glad your spirit got a boost. smile I'm looking forward to hearing your music.

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/01/09 06:44 PM

Originally Posted By: mom3gram
Terrific! I love Christmas music!

Barb, "Silver Bells" is one of my alltime favorites. I chuckled at your story of it's almost title, as my mom used to use that expression when we were kids. :-)
Love your rendition - nice harmonizing.

I'm working on "Greensleeves" ("What Child is This"), and it's coming along really well. It's the first time that I've used the overlapping pedal, and I'm really enjoying it. Unfortunately, I have no way to record it to my computer, but I'm looking forward to hearing a lot of great Christmas tunes here. Bring them on!

Mom3Gram - thank you. We need to get you into the 21st century for recording. Maybe you can put it on your Christmas wish list? grin

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/01/09 06:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Canonie
Very nice, lots of rich chords, actually it sounds like you have extra fingers wink

Thank you Canonie. No, I don't have any more fingers than the normal twelve like everyone else. grin

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/01/09 06:47 PM

Thanks Morodienne and Barb - I laugh every time I do it laugh But I couldn't play it twice because it would have just jangled out of control. Maybe before Christmas I can record the chestnuts one. But Barb, your sounds really do influence me, even tho I'm only using 7 chords in strange places at the minute!

Cathy

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/01/09 06:55 PM

That sounds great Cathy. What kind of piano are you playing?

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/01/09 06:56 PM

Originally Posted By: jotur
But Barb, your sounds really do influence me, even tho I'm only using 7 chords in strange places at the minute!Cathy

Cathy - You are using 7 chords ( as opposed to 8 chords )

or

7th chords ( as in dominants and major sevenths ) wink

Just trying to get this straight in my head. crazy

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/01/09 07:04 PM

Cathy - You are using 7 chords ( as opposed to 8 chords )

or

7th chords ( as in dominants and major sevenths ) wink

Just trying to get this straight in my head. crazy

In my left hand, dominants. I think the progression at one point went Bb-D7-G7-C7-F (I was copying Scott Joplin, except he started on F). But the G7 had an A in the right hand - at least, one of the times it did :\ I wasn't consciously using any other chord, and I think the one with the A in the right hand was the funkiest one. Maybe I'll try to make a lead sheet, if I can remember long enough what was happening. But I'm not sophisticated enough to think beyond a dominant 7th smile

Cathy

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/01/09 07:06 PM

No lead sheet? This was by ear? You are swinging girl! thumb

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/01/09 07:08 PM

foxyw - thanks. It's a Casio Privia PX-100, plugged into my computer and recorded using Audacity, then exported as an .mp3. Some of the folks here renormalize (or normalize the first time, I dunno) but I just try to get a volume level I can live with smile .

Cathy

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/01/09 07:25 PM

Thanks Cathy! I'm planning to purchase a digital piano at some point so it's good to hear what others are using. As of now, I am using a Zoom H4n recorder which is working out well but I do think I would really enjoy having a digital piano too.
Posted by: CMohr

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/01/09 07:29 PM

This is so COOL! A Christmas thread! yippie

Barb, I loved how rich your Silver Bells sound!

And Cathy, really nice "funky" chords! Seriously!

Great! I may have to try something, I'm inspired.

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/01/09 08:02 PM

CMohr - Thank you. Yes, you must post something. Bring on the holiday music. grin

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/01/09 08:07 PM

Barb, great job on "Silver Bells"! I love your fills. thumb (p.s. and thank you for the background story on tinkle Silver Bells. That was hilarious!)
Posted by: Rickster

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/01/09 08:18 PM

I really enjoyed “Silver Bells”, Barb!

And, Cathy, that was one of my favorite Christmas Carols, and you did a fantastic job!

Here is one I did last year. I hope Ya’ll like it!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDNs2tH06x0

Take care, and Merry Christmas All!

Rick

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/01/09 08:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Morodiene
Cathy, some surprising chords in there, but they work!

+1. That was really cool, Cathy! It gave the old standard an interesting and unique spin. You should work out a full-length version. thumb

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/01/09 08:48 PM

Wow, Rick! Loved the Jingle Bell Rock, had to have my hubby watch too. He REALLY liked it! We both also loved your Merry, Merry Christmas..by Elvis.
That was just great. My husband asked what you were doing on the Adult Beginners Forum - first thing he said was, "Oh, he's a pro!"
Keep 'em coming!

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/01/09 09:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Monica K.
You should work out a full-length version. thumb

37 seconds wasn't enough?!? yeah, it'd be nice to be able to hold it together for a longer time, or make some more interesting variations in the LH or the melody. Maybe by next Christmas smile

Cathy

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/01/09 09:03 PM

hm. another post into the ether :\

Rick - I loved Jingle Bell Rock. I'll have to see if I can get it together by Christmas -

Cathy

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/01/09 09:08 PM

Okay, here's mine, the lovely little "Wisdom of Snow" by Trans-Siberian Orchestra. I've wanted to play this ever since the album came out, but since I don't have a play-by-ear or transcribing bone in my body, I had to wait for them to release the sheet music. I just love the chord progression in the middle section. heart

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/01/09 09:10 PM

Monica, I love it! And I'm so impressed you memorized it too. It really sounds like snow falling smile

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/01/09 09:21 PM

Thanks, Morodiene! I can't take too much credit for the memorization, as it was only 1:56, and the first and last thirds were identical. whome But I will say that this was probably was the quickest I've ever learned a piece, from picking it up to recording it.

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/01/09 09:35 PM

Rickster, very nice. You would make a great drummer you know. You have a natural *beat* to your playing which I like.

Monica, yes I like the progression too. Btw, your Mason sounds great and the new zoom is doing a nice job.

Barb, I'm a chord junkie and your were beautiful. Your pieces are sounding so full & rich...(my favorite sound)

Jotur (cathy), very nice but you left me wanting MORE.
Posted by: Less Rubato

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/01/09 09:35 PM

Monica- I've never heard that piece. It's wonderful. I enjoyed your playing.Thank you for sharing it with us smile
Posted by: knightplayer

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/01/09 09:40 PM

Monica
Very nice, very smooth, and beautifully played. smile
Camera angle and lighting was also very nice. thumb
Julius

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/01/09 09:42 PM

Gee, thanks for the complements, CMohr! And tell your husband I said thanks too!

Thank you too, Cathy; yes, Jingle-Bell Rock is an old classic!

Thanks to you too, Mr S-H, and thanks for starting this thread!

And, Monica, that was a very lovely piece, “Wisdom of Snow”! And, you did a great job! Your M&H sounds great, and so do you!

Take care,

Rick

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/01/09 10:31 PM

Very beautiful, Monica! It makes me wish we had snow here right now! Hubby really liked this one too! He's very BIG on Christmas music.

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/02/09 12:41 AM

Oh, Monica, nice - a piece that should become a holiday classic. Congratulations on the "shortest time from learning to recording" smile

Cathy

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/02/09 06:20 AM

Monica:
That was just beautiful !

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/02/09 06:20 AM

Here's my contribution:

http://www.box.net/shared/hfdmgze0uf

Thanks for listening!

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/02/09 06:34 AM

Cathy:

Wow! Great job; Cool chords !

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/02/09 06:42 AM

Rick:

Dude, you rock ! Happy Christmas to you too!

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/02/09 07:17 AM

Rickster – You know how to wake up the crowd. I loved your Rockin Jingle Bells. I feel awake this morning!

Monica – your piece was new to me. "Wisdom of Snow" has such a pretty melody and is played to perfection. Makes me want snow – NOW — but we rarely get it where I live.

Ang – Your “Silent Night” is sooooo very sweet. The voicings and harmonies are super. Your fakebook reading skills have taken off!

Thank you for your kind words Mr S-H. This thread is a great idea of yours.

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/02/09 07:22 AM

Cathy - nice playing of "Joy" - liked the ever so slightly "jazzed" chords - was hoping for a 2nd chorus (at least)!

JF

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/02/09 09:20 AM

Originally Posted By: angelojf
Here's my contribution:

Thanks for listening!

I loved all those jazzy chords! And I also like how you roll them rather than play all the notes at once, it gives it a much richer sound. What a peaceful rendition of silent night smile

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/02/09 09:34 AM

Cathy, I like the improvised chords on your "Joy to the World". They didn't sound too "funky" to me. I'd love to hear your version of "Chestnuts Roasting...".

Rickster - that was super! It made me want to dance right here at my computer.

Monica - I'm not familiar with "Wisdom of Snow" but it was very pretty. It did sound a lot like a snowy day.

Angelof - Was that from a fake book? I haven't learned to do that yet. It's sounding good.

Barb, I need to get into the 21st century in a lot of ways. :-) Right now, my digital is downstairs, and my computer is upstairs. I guess I need either a laptop, or a Zoom, neither of which is in my budget, nor in the budgets of anyone who will be giving me gifts this Christmas. But it's on my mental wish list.

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/02/09 09:35 AM

Rick, that was a rollicking Jingle Bell Rock indeed! Great job. smile

Angelo, I'm gathering from Barb's comments that you played this off a fake sheet? wow Very nice and dreamy!

p.s. I should've mentioned on my piece that it's from the Trans-Siberian Orchestra album, "The Lost Christmas Eve." We've got tickets to see them live in Rupp Arena on Dec. 17th. We've gone to their show the last three years straight, and it's always a wonderful time. Well worth seeing if their tour makes it anywhere close to you.

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/02/09 01:11 PM

Angelo-Really nice Silent Night! Did you use a lead sheet or just by ear?!
Loved your chords!

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/02/09 04:45 PM

Thanks so much to all who have commented on my "Silent Night!" It is really appreciated.

CMohr,
I am using a fakebook version of the song, as well as stuff learned in the Sudnow program.

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/02/09 07:09 PM

Hi Angelo,

I enjoyed your version of "Silent Night"! It really helped to put me in the Christmas spirit!

Take care,

Rick

P.S. And Monica, thanks for the YT comment! :-)

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/02/09 07:29 PM

angelo - wow! Nice Silent Night - some day I'm going to be you smile

JF - yeah, the chords were sort of jazz lite laugh I don't have enough for a second chorus yet, but one of these days -

Thanks, all, for the nice comments.

Cathy

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/02/09 08:24 PM

Monica - enjoyed the TSO piece - nicely played - they usually play here at Hershey, but I don't see them on the schedule of concerts for this season - have to agree with SH that your piano does sound really good - if I had room for an acoustic an MH might just be the one...

JF

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/02/09 08:27 PM

Ok, first off - it's been snowing here all day! Who did the snow dance? Monica???

Cathy- Jazzy rendition of JTTW...I like it!

Rickster- Excellent job of rocking the Jingle Bell.

Monica- How apropos...I have tremendous wisdom when it come to snow, mostly on the wrong end of a snow shovel. I do love to carve a few turns with the board as well. Beautiful little melody!

Angelojf - Silent Night is such a classic, some very nice harmonies working there.

My submittal is a very simple arrangement of O Come, O come, Emmanuel. I am drawn to the bell like quality of this one and it is one of my all time Christmas favorites.

O Come, O Come, Emmanuel

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/02/09 09:08 PM

Carl, a great arrangement! That piece I think is often ruined by over-complicating it and adding harmonies that just don't suit the chant-like melody. Yours added just the right touch laugh

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/02/09 10:18 PM

Oh, Carl - this is one of my favorite Christmas pieces. It was absolutely lovely! It enhanced the beginning to the season for me.

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/02/09 10:21 PM

OK. after like 10 tries at getting a decent recording of this piece, I finally have something worth sharing. This a Lorie Line arrangement of The First Noel. I recorded it using my old Sony minidisc recorder, playing on my Petrof concert grand. Sorry about the quality of recording!

http://www.box.net/shared/reprq3h4i5
Posted by: Frozenicicles

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/02/09 10:26 PM

Cathy, Rickster, Monica, Angelojf, and Carl: Thanks for your lovely performances! I've my sight reading my way through some Christmas carols lately, but nothing up to performance standard.
Edit: Listening to yours as well, Morodiene. thumb

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/02/09 10:28 PM

Carl, that's a beautiful arrangement that highlights the clarity of your Schimmel well; "bell-like" describes it perfectly.

Morodiene, 10 takes is NOTHING! grin That was a beautiful arrangement, too, very new age-ish, like David Nevue, only harder. eek
Posted by: Peyton

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/02/09 10:29 PM

I presented this on back but have made some changes (One being the title). It's an original called "Faded Scarlet Bow".

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/02/09 10:38 PM

Peyton, that song was so mellow, and the Jingle Bells at the end was very cool. Thanks for sharing that. You get a special cookie:

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/02/09 10:38 PM

That's beautiful, Peyton. I don't remember the old title, but I know I like this one. It should be out there receiving radio time. smile

p.s. What is the musical term for that tinkle-tinkle-tinkle thing you do down the keyboard a couple of times, for instance, right at the end of the song? It's not really an arpeggio is it, as it sounds like you're alternating a high-low, high-low pattern of chord notes, rather than 3? Whatever it is, I like it. smile

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/02/09 10:51 PM

Carl, your "O Come, Emanuel" was just beautiful!

Morodiene - That was a great arrangement of "The First Noel", and of course, excellently played.

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/02/09 10:53 PM

That's beautiful, Peyton. I don't remember the old title, but I know I like this one. It should be out there receiving radio time. smile

p.s. What is the musical term for that tinkle-tinkle-tinkle thing you do down the keyboard a couple of times, for instance, right at the end of the song? It's not really an arpeggio is it, as it sounds like you're alternating a high-low, high-low pattern of chord notes, rather than 3? Whatever it is, I like it. smile

I think you'd just call them broken 6ths or whatever interval.

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/02/09 11:02 PM

Thanks! That sounds ever so much more knowledgeable than "that tinkle tinkle thing." laugh

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/02/09 11:14 PM

I kinda like the tinkle tinkle thing!

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/03/09 12:22 AM

Carl McC - what a lovely, lovely piece, and your interpretation was exquisite.

Cathy

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/03/09 12:30 AM

Morodiene - lovely. I liked the arrangement because it didn't lose the melody. You played it beautifully.

Thanks! That sounds ever so much more knowledgeable than "that tinkle tinkle thing." laugh

It's not called a waggle, hunh? Guess I'll have to change my nomenclature :\

But I really like the way your piano playing complements the song, Peyton - the fills have just the right kind of poignancy, and they're timed well. Thanks for the tune.

Cathy
Posted by: BenPiano

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/03/09 12:49 AM

This is my holiday tune:

I'm still a piano beginner, so the only spicing up I could really accomplish is adding some basic guitar, a few "ahhhhs" from my keyboard, and some amazing images from the Hubble telescope. :-)

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/03/09 01:17 AM

I loved it, Ben! What a wonderful combination, and a great arrangement. I love the creativity - make what you can do work - and this was pro thumb Beautiful.

Cathy

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/03/09 01:23 AM

Originally Posted By: jotur
I loved it, Ben! What a wonderful combination, and a great arrangement. I love the creativity - make what you can do work - and this was pro thumb Beautiful.

Cathy

Thanks, Cathy, that means a lot! smile

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/03/09 01:51 AM

Morodiene, what a great arrangement and beautiful playing!

Peyton, I agree, you should get radio time! That was such a great song.

And Ben, loved the guitar with the piano. The telescope shots were perfect for the song!

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/03/09 02:15 AM

Originally Posted By: CMohr
And Ben, loved the guitar with the piano. The telescope shots were perfect for the song!

Thank you! smile

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/03/09 02:59 AM

Peyton, great job on your performance. Very nice song too.

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/03/09 07:39 AM

p.s. What is the musical term for that tinkle-tinkle-tinkle thing you do...

I thought Swingin' Barb explained that "tinkle" thing back on page 1 laugh

JF

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/03/09 07:43 AM

My submittal is a very simple arrangement of O Come, O come, Emmanuel. I am drawn to the bell like quality of this one and it is one of my all time Christmas favorites.

O Come, O Come, Emmanuel

Very nicely done Carl - I really like the way you "paced" this lovely Carol - plenty of "breathing room" in there making it very listenable. You left me wanting more...

JF

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/03/09 07:44 AM

I like "tinkle, tinkle, tinkle thing". I was anguishing over a name for the song... that might of worked.. smile

It's real simple. Aflat (thumb)/Eflat (4th finger)..A (thumb) Bflat (2nd finger)... F/Bflat... Eflat/Bflat... Dflat (thumb) Eflat (2nd finger)... C/Eflat...Bflat/Eflat...Aflat/Eflat. Then repeat continuing down. I have done it with a more complicated pattern but in the end this seemed to say what I needed.

Many thanks all for the compliments! I've been thinking about this song and the "Christmas tune" thread we have here every year but still got caught by surprise thinking December had to be at least another two months off....

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/03/09 08:47 AM

Peyton, your song brought tears to my eyes, as I guess it would to anyone whose kids have all grown up and moved away. Lovely but bittersweet.

BenPiano - I loved the piano/guitar combo, and the visuals were a nice touch too.

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/03/09 10:25 AM

Morodiene, Cmohr, Frozenicicles, Monica, mom3gram, Cathy, JF,
Thanks for listening and your comments are very much appreciated!

Morodiene
I am so glad you posted "The First Noel". No Christmas morn would be complete without this one. I will make a point to visit this one again on Chrismas morning, it is delightful and loved the intro, thank you!

Peyton
I do remember this one. Falling into the category of "Empty Nester" the lyrics of this song carries a personal connection. It is very well done and I enjoyed hearing it again. I like the title... I think I have that same bow in the wreath on our door. I like the tinkles smile

BenPiano

Well done and very entertaining. Did you add the guitar over the piano or the piano over the guitar? It sounded great thumb

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/03/09 11:03 AM

BenPiano

Well done and very entertaining. Did you add the guitar over the piano or the piano over the guitar? It sounded great thumb

Many thanks! smile I have a Roland Fantom G8, so I just plugged my acoustic guitar right into it and recorded the guitar track first. Of course, it took me 2 hours to figure out how to plug in the guitar and get sound! smirk (I'm technologically challanged smile )

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/03/09 11:11 AM

Ben, great playing. You're a one-man band! laugh Enjoyed the pictures too. Just amazing!

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/03/09 11:31 AM

Originally Posted By: BenPiano
I have a Roland Fantom G8, so I just plugged my acoustic guitar right into it and recorded the guitar track first.

Ben, great video! The guitar and piano combo sounded great together, and I loved the space photos. smile Seeing your Roland in the other videos on your YouTube channel gave me a big dose of Fancy Digital Piano envy, too. laugh
Posted by: dannac

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/03/09 05:23 PM

Thanks for all the wonderful Christmas music.
Some great recordings, arrangements.

Do not usually post because ... well I'm really an adult beginner,
and sorta get nervous when that red light goes on.

Do not have sheet music (not that it would help) or music to this song,
but always liked it, especially at beginning of the Christmas season.

Think it goes something like this :

http://www.box.net/shared/kolkion2y4

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/03/09 05:32 PM

dannac: beautiful! I'm so glad you posted! I know that recording thing can be nerve-wracking.

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/03/09 05:35 PM

Dannac, that was wonderful! Wish I could play as nicely w/o sheet music. And I think it goes exactly how you played it! thumb

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/03/09 06:53 PM

dannac, your by-ear arrangement was every bit as lovely as any piano solo I've heard of it. thumb You realize, of course, that now we will nag you relentlessly for more recordings. laugh

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/03/09 07:25 PM

Here's my Christmas submission. It took about 5 takes - just using my computer mic - there's a couple background clinks, someone eating lunch. laugh (I hope this works-it's my first boxnet try) blush

Box.net

Now getting ready to watch the civil war game between the U of Oregon Ducks and the Oregon State Beavers. The winner goes to the Rose Bowl. GO DUCKS!

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/03/09 08:13 PM

Good job CMohr! You are getting the hang of this recording thing. This is a very nice selection- somewhat off the beaten path that conjures visions of warm fireplaces and comfortable surroundings. I like it a lot!

PS ...
Should be a cake walk (waddle?) for the Ducks, although the intrastate war can get out of wack (quack?) sometimes. smile

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/03/09 08:24 PM

Thanks Carl! Only 40 minutes to kickoff-Ducks favored by 11! laugh

It took me an hour to figure out box.net-and I actually think my computer recorded the piano a little better than the video camera. Not sure, but it seems so-still hoping for that zoom! smile
Posted by: CCFireLt

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/03/09 10:21 PM

Just found an INCREDIBLE version of Sleigh Ride on Youtube.
(I think I could learn to fly before I could ever learn to play like this!)

Enjoy!

Sleigh Ride

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/03/09 10:24 PM

You're probably entrenched in the game right now, CMohr, but I just wanted to say I enjoyed your "Christmas Mem'ries." I agree with Carl; this one is off the beaten track (who's the composer?), and that makes it a refreshing break from the usual radio fare.
Posted by: Elssa

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/03/09 10:42 PM

Wow, everyone sounds wonderful this month - great holiday selections!
Here are two more.. Hope you enjoy:

Winter Wonderland
O Holy Night

Posted by: TX-Dennis

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/03/09 10:42 PM

I don't know who wrote it, but I remember a version of Christmas Memories (or Mem'ries) by Sinatra and another by Streisand. There are probably others, too.

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/04/09 12:18 AM

These are all fantastic - thanks everyone for posting performances! smile smile

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/04/09 01:27 AM

Thanks, Monica! smile Christmas Mem'ries words by Alan & Marilyn Bergman, music by Don Costa. This song was new to me, too. We looked on youtube and found a Barbara Streisand version that was really nice.

I just got the Christmas book about 3 weeks ago-Christmas Encyclopedia arranged by Tom Roed. Alot of the songs are way too difficult for me, but I like most of the arrangements. One thing tho-it's published by Alfred-I have never had a songbook fall apart so fast. eek I'll have to get it bound.

I'm still pretty nervous recording, you can probably tell! But I forged ahead.

Oh yeah, THE DUCKS ARE GOING TO THE ROSE BOWL! We won 37-33 over the OSU Beavers! It's a great day! yippie

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/04/09 09:40 AM

Rick - excellent rockin' piano on "Jingle Bell Rock" thumb

JF

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/04/09 09:42 AM

Here's my contribution:

Thanks for listening!

Nice job angelo.

JF

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/04/09 10:05 AM

Elssa, I really liked your holiday videos, both the two you posted and the others on your YouTube channel that I sneaked a look at (especially "Carol of the Bells.") Your arrangements are always filled with such lush chords and pretty fills. smile
Posted by: ladypayne

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/04/09 12:51 PM

Here's my piece! enjoy.

White Christmas:
http://www.box.net/shared/8eij0onqev

Elssa, I liked your videos too. Nicely played smile

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/04/09 01:08 PM

Elssa, wow! You are incredible! Loved the "bells" in winter wonderland!

Ladypayne, your White Christmas is just great-really nice arrangment!

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/04/09 01:37 PM

Cathy - Your Joy to the World is very cool. I really like the way you jazzed it up and threw in some very unexpected voicings. Nice.

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/04/09 01:43 PM

Rickster - What a great, high energy performance. 5 YouTube Stars.

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/04/09 01:47 PM

Monica - What a lovely melody. I've never heard it before and found both the song and your performance to be first rate.

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/04/09 01:54 PM

angelojf - Some very creative chord choices in your piece. It gives this a more modern sound. Well done.

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/04/09 01:58 PM

My submittal is a very simple arrangement of O Come, O come, Emmanuel.

Simple but elegant - very nicely done. Your piano's bell-like tone enhances the beauty of this performance.

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/04/09 02:02 PM

Peyton - What a fine song. You continue to amaze with your many talents. This is my favorite of all of your excellent original compositions.

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/04/09 02:07 PM

BenPiano - I love the whole package (piano, guitar, ahhs, and images). I like the driving backbeat that the guitar adds. Very Creative!!

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/04/09 02:49 PM

Originally Posted By: ladypayne
Here's my piece! enjoy.

White Christmas:
http://www.box.net/shared/8eij0onqev

Elssa, I liked your videos too. Nicely played smile

Great job, lady, it sounds as though you were hired to play for a Christmas party smile

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/04/09 03:03 PM

Quote:
Elssa, I really liked your holiday videos, both the two you posted and the others on your YouTube channel that I sneaked a look at (especially "Carol of the Bells.")

Thanks so much, Monica! smile

Carol of the Bells (Ukrainian Bell Carol)

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/04/09 03:05 PM

Oops, anyone know what did I do wrong with the YouTube embed button?

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/04/09 03:52 PM

Elssa
I really enjoyed watching your videos. You play with such ease and grace.
I noticed you touching the screen from time to time- are you changing the sound?

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/04/09 03:58 PM

I've really enjoyed listening to the Christmas/Holiday music performances.

Here is my offering Away in a Manger

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/04/09 04:34 PM

Ladypayne - Your White Christmas was very well played. I like both the arrangement and the performance very much. The tone of your piano reminds me of the old upright that one of the gangsters was playing in the Godfather Part 1 (kind of an obscure reference I guess).

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/04/09 04:40 PM

lol the piano is like 20 years old. Maybe that's why :P

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/04/09 05:00 PM

Ladypayne - Here is what I was thinking of - Godfather Piano Scene. Now that I have watched it again your piano sounds much better - it has real character.

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/04/09 06:51 PM

Very nice Bill! Is your video HD? How do you mix the sound, as your vocals are crystal clear. Good performance!

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/04/09 06:59 PM

ladypayne
Great job of working those keys, I enjoyed your arrangement of "White Christmas"

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/04/09 07:29 PM

Is your video HD? How do you mix the sound, as your vocals are crystal clear.

Carl

My video and audio are from a Flip Ultra HD camera. I load the video from the camera to my computer and upload to YouTube without any video or audio manipulation. For my taste the audio is fine without any enhancement or normalization.

The Flip Ultra HD camera has an option to upload directly from the camera to YouTube but both the audio and video seem to be compressed and the quality suffers greatly. I've found that uploading the raw file results in the best audio and video quality.

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/04/09 07:40 PM

Nice performance and singing Bill. Your video qualities are superb too!

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/04/09 07:54 PM

Lots of new Christmas tunes coming in. :-)

dannac - "Do You Hear What I Hear" - you say you are a beginner, nervous about recording, and had no sheet music - and yet you sounded terrific! Nice arrangement!

CMohr - I'm not familiar with "Christmas Memories", but I really liked it. Nice playing!

Elssa - "Winter Wonderland", "O Holy Night", "Carol of the Bells" - excellent playing, and I loved the special effects, especially the twinkly parts. What kind of digital do you have?

Ladypayne - Your "White Christmas" was nicely played - it sounded like you should be playing it at a Christmas party.

Bill - I loved the beginning where you played in the "organ" voice, and your singing was soft and reverent - just like a lullaby. Very nice!!!

I really enjoyed tonight's additions. Keep them coming.

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/04/09 08:25 PM

Bill, I REALLY enjoyed your Away In A Manger! The organ at the beginning was very nostalgic-it fit perfectly. As always I'm in awe of you singing and playing at the same time! Really nice!

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/04/09 09:28 PM

dannac - wow - that's what I'd like to be able to do - arrangements by ear. That was really nice.

CMohr - very nice. Or - just Ducky? smile

Elssa - nice job on Winter Wonderland - I'm going to go to school on your chords because I've had some trouble getting my ear around them smile

Cathy
Posted by: Triryche

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/04/09 09:35 PM

How in the world am I gonna get to practicing with all the distractions!!??

ummmm, I meant to say, WoW!! Great thread and performances!!

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/05/09 02:12 AM

Hi Cathy,
Originally Posted By: jotu ;)r

Elssa - nice job on Winter Wonderland - I'm going to go to school on your chords because I've had some trouble getting my ear around them smile
Cathy

Thanks, I'm using some "insert chords" here (my own arrangement) along with a swing/stride style. Another good one for that is "Let It Snow". Loved your Joy to the World - great chords and bass line. thumb Care to swap "chord secrets" sometime? grin wink

Hi Carl: Thanks for your help. smile I had put the embed code instead of URL by accident for YouTube.. I'm a little technically challenged. confused

Quote:
I noticed you touching the screen from time to time- are you changing the sound?

Yes, the twinkly bells sound is my Roland KR-7 Bells/Strings setting. I need to change screens to get to it smile

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/05/09 06:51 AM

Carl Mc:

What a nice version. Thanks!

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/05/09 06:53 AM

Morodiene,

That was so great....actually I thought the recording quality helped give it that old time Christmas feeeling to the song. Very nice.

Thanks!

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/05/09 07:10 AM

Peyton,

I sent you a PM.....
This was just beautiful.... Loved the run at 1:57, 3:51, and 5:00......

Merry Christmas?

Back at ya man!

Gorgeous, and keep writing tunes....

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/05/09 07:32 AM

Ben,

Awesome ! !

Great use of the video, too. Great harmony notes tastefully played!

Thanks!

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/05/09 07:42 AM

Dannac:

Great work, there! And you picked one of my favorite Christmas songs...
Love that intro that's a basis for the tune!

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/05/09 07:49 AM

CMohr:

Beautiful ! !

Never heard this tune, but I like it. And you played it great!

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/05/09 07:56 AM

CCFirLt:

Wow...someone finally found a video of me playing on youtube!
Just kidding, of course.......!

Thanks for sending us the link!

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/05/09 08:11 AM

Elssa:

A great happy version of Winter Wonderland!

THanks!

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/05/09 08:11 AM

dannac - You have a very good ear. The arrangement is full and refined. Nice - I hope to hear more from you.

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/05/09 08:17 AM

Elssa:

Nice "Oh Holy Night" too !!!

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/05/09 08:23 AM

Ladypayne: Loved it !

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/05/09 08:27 AM

Elssa:
Nice "Carol of the Bells." I will try some what I saw you do there!
THanks!

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/05/09 08:31 AM

Bill:

A touching version. Loved it. Great how you didn't sing the verse everyone is familiar with!

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/05/09 11:31 AM

CMohr - Very nice tune. The relaxed tempo really brings out the beauty of the melody (which is new to me). Well done.

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/05/09 01:04 PM

Wow, thanks Angelo & Bill! smile

This song was new to me this year, too. But my husband liked it so much I had to learn it.

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/05/09 01:07 PM

ladypayne - that was a lush White Christmas, and you played it well.

Bill - very nice. I liked the accompaniment, and your voice just kind of caresses the song. As for "surprising" voicings on my Joy to the World - well, yes, to me, too laugh I just used whatever inversion of the 7(th) chords I happened to be near laugh Thanks for the compliments

Cathy

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/05/09 01:34 PM

Elssa:
Nice "Carol of the Bells." I will try some what I saw you do there! THanks!

Thanks, Angelo! I had a lot of fun with it. smile BTW, these are all my own arrangements, and I teach all the "tricks" & techniques in my new video, Elssa's Holiday Songs Video (includes pdf lead sheets for Carol of the Bells and O Holy Night). smile

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/05/09 06:20 PM

Barb, great way to start off this thread.
Jotur- I like the "off" chords. It really keeps the old tune interesting... smile Short and sweet.
Rick... Yes! That's how I like to hear it.

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/05/09 06:56 PM

I've really enjoyed everyones Christmas/Holiday submissions! They are all great!

Thanks for sharing!

Rick

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/05/09 09:00 PM

That was really lovely, BIll. smile You've inspired me to try out the church organ setting on my KR-7 again - sounds great. grin

The Christmas Song

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/05/09 09:13 PM

Morodiene, That was such a pretty First Noel. Very nice arrangement and beautifully played.

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/05/09 09:19 PM

Peyton - your composing skills amaze me. "Faded Scarlet Bow" is a beautiful piece. Bravo!

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/05/09 09:23 PM

BenPiano - That was such fun to listen to and to watch. You call yourself a Piano Beginner? You are past that stage!

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/05/09 09:28 PM

Originally Posted By: dannac
and sorta get nervous when that red light goes on.

Dannac - We all get nervous with that darn red light. I loved your "Do You Hear". Very nice playing!

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/05/09 09:34 PM

CMohr -- I loved your Christmas Mem'ries. Great job on your first boxnet submission. You only needed 5 takes? Lucky you! Hope to hear more!

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/05/09 09:50 PM

Thanks Barb! I've really enjoyed listening to All your posts (here and elsewhere)! Let's hear more! I love all the Christmas tunes!
Posted by: Studio Joe

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/06/09 03:26 AM

Beautiful Elssa, I always loved "The Christmas Song", I could almost smell the chestnuts roasting on the open fire.

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/06/09 06:20 AM

ladypayne - What a beautifully decorated White Christmas! You have such a nice touch on those keys!

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/06/09 06:25 AM

Elssa, I loved your striding “Winter Wonderland” and gentle renditions of “Oh Holy Night” and “Carol of the Bells”. Beautiful playing!

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/06/09 06:38 AM

Bill – Your “Away in a Manger” is so sweetly played and sung. I love how you sway with the music before you start singing. Your videos are always great to watch!

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/06/09 06:48 AM

Elssa - another one - WOW, you have been busy. I just love that classic "The Christmas Song". As always, a beautiful rendition by you!
Posted by: R0B

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/06/09 10:57 AM

Listening to these wonderful Christmas tunes, led me to record a short version of 'In the Bleak Mid winter'
Hope it's ok to post it here.

http://www.youtube.com/user/robspianomusic#p/u

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/06/09 11:12 AM

Originally Posted By: R0B

Not only is it OK to post it, it is a gem! Very, very pretty. smile

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/06/09 11:16 AM

That was great Rob! On your other recordings, it sounded like your piano was a real acoustic; that digital sure did sound good though, and your playing was superb!

Elssa, your music was delightful! I enjoyed it much!

In fact, all the submissions here were great!

Take care,

Rick

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/06/09 11:27 AM

Rob - I can't say evoked bleak winter for me - more like sleepy kids dozing off after a day of sledding and building snowmen smile Very nice.

Cathy
Posted by: Studio Joe

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/06/09 11:35 AM

'In the Bleak Mid winter'

Love it Rob. Your playing is always a pleasure to hear.

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/06/09 06:25 PM

Thanks all, for your kind comments! Barb, I loved your "Silver Bells" - very pretty arrangement! thumb

Well, got 3 inches of snow here over the weekend, so feeling even more christmasy now. smile Here's one more - something I think isn't too well known:

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/06/09 07:39 PM

Rob, I loved your "..Bleak MidWinter"! I have a sheet to this, but it's not nearly as nice as the one you posted.

Elssa, loved Christmas Waltz, too!

THIS IS A GREAT THREAD!! More, more!
Posted by: TX-Dennis

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/06/09 09:00 PM

Wow, you folks are going all out for Christmas this year! I have to say I've listened to everyon'e pieces, and they are all terrific. And, Elssa, I do know The Christmas Waltz and I play it. Not as well as you do, though. I want to sing now . . . "It's that time of year when the world falls in love. Every song you hear seems to say Merry Christmas . . . etc."

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/06/09 10:06 PM

Thanks to everyone for your kind comments.

I am loving everyone's contributions on here.
Such amazing talent and diversity of music!

I love all Christmas music. It takes me back to my childhood, playing piano/harmonium in the small freezing chapel, in my native Wales.
Many fond memories.

Keep 'em coming :-)

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/06/09 11:05 PM

Rob,
I enjoyed your "In The Bleak Mid Winter" Very pretty!

Here is an old standard.

What Child is This

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/06/09 11:08 PM

Carl - What Child is This is really sweet - played very sensitivly.

Cathy

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/06/09 11:17 PM

Rob, your "Bleak Mid Winter" was gorgeous. "Bleak" is not an appropriate adjective at all, I agree. "Serene" fits the atmosphere of the piece much better.

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/06/09 11:21 PM

Carl, "What child is this?" has always been one of my favorite carols. (And it's nice it can pull double duty on off months as "Greensleeves"! laugh ) I enjoyed your playing... the flourish at the end was especially pretty. But it was too short. You can always play it twice through for the extra verse(s). wink

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/06/09 11:35 PM

I took a half hour study break today and spliced this together. Violin and piano duet by myself. laugh I was sight reading both instruments so it's definitely not my best playing, but lots of fun!
Away in a manger

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/06/09 11:40 PM

Very nice Frozenicicles! i enjoyed it. Rob, it was a pretty song to listen to and u did a nice job playing it and Elssa nice playing on yours too! smile

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/06/09 11:47 PM

Frozenicicles - that made me smile. The wonders of modern technology. I liked it a lot.

Cathy

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/07/09 12:35 AM

Thanks for the kind words! I would probably get laughed out of town if I posted this on a violin forum. blush

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/07/09 01:37 AM

Carl, really nice Greensleeves! Your piano sounds SO nice!

Frozenicicles, very cool! And done on a half-hour study break?! It made my evening.

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/07/09 07:21 AM

CMohr - very nice Christmas tune - well played!

JF

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/07/09 07:29 AM

Listening to these wonderful Christmas tunes, led me to record a short version of 'In the Bleak Mid winter'

ROB - simply beautiful! One of the prettiest of the little known Christmas songs - and so lovingly played!

JF

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/07/09 07:46 AM

Elssa - Nice job! I love your arrangement of this song.

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/07/09 07:48 AM

Frozenicicles- You are multi-talented. Nice.

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/07/09 07:51 AM

Carl Mc - You got the stately grace of this lovely song just right. Well played.

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/07/09 08:09 AM

Rob, "In the Bleak Winter" was so pretty. It reminds me of the peaceful feeling on Christmas night, when all the excitement has dwindled down and you can just enjoy the peace and quiet and contemplate.

Carl - Really nice arrangement of "What Child is This". Love the broken chords!

FrozenIcicles - I love the "self-duet"! "Away in a Manger" is one of my very favorites. Your piano/violin combo was lovely.
Posted by: TTigg

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/07/09 08:45 AM

wow some amazing stuff in there folks thumb

This, Dec Piano Bar you certainly all keep very busy! As for me, I'm going to attempt to get 2 Christmas Songs done this month being..

"The Christmas Song" I mean it's the classic! smile
"Where are you Christmas" since I love Movie & TV Music

Of course and attempting to finish up Forest Gump and trying to stay away from Einaudi will Dec 25th wink
- SC
Posted by: Piano World

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/07/09 09:20 AM

This thread sounded like fun, so I threw something together late last night. Recorded in one time through so a little rough around the edges. Also realized when I set the Flip Video recorder up I cut off the top of my head. Not surprising, I'm known to do the same thing with still photography:-)

It's a piece I found in a Christmas book for piano, but
it's called Happy Hunakkah My Friend.

It sounds nice on piano, but I've chosen to use the strings on my Yamaha P-80.

If I have a chance I'll try to record a better version later.
(coulda used a page turner too)

Yes, I'm the guy with the Santa belly. My friend Kathy says I should grow
a beard and play Santa.

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/07/09 09:27 AM

I have to say, I have enjoyed each and every posting on here.
It truly sums up the spirit of the season.

Barb,
Love your playing style and voicings.

Jotur,
Interesting chording, just wish it were longer.

Rickster,
That rocks!!

Monica,
This perfectly evokes the season for me. Bravo!

Angeloif,
A great take on a personal favourite :-)

Carl,
Have to admit, this is new to my ears, but played with great control and feeling.

Morodiene,
Loved that intro! The rest took me back to being 10 years old. Great memories of Christmasses past.

Peyton,
What can I say? This just took my breath away. Absolute class, and so deserving of a wider audience.

Ben Piano,
Possibly my favourite of all, but I am biased, being a guitar player also.
Can't put my finger on it, but it reached me on so many levels. Want to hear so much more from you.

Dannac,
Pleased you don't have sheet music for this, so we get to hear the real you! Too short .....Grrrrrr :-)

CMohr,
You got Christmas all wrapped up! :-)

Elssa,
A seasoned, and seasonal pro!
If you could record your keyboard direct, it would be even better, if that's possible.

Ladypayne,
Exquisite :-)

b528nf7,
Wow! that name is a mouthfull to type! May I call you Bill?
Another new one for me. I have never heard this version before, but your performance was excellent, and you vocals remind me of Ireland, for some reason. Please take that as a compliment, as I love all things Irish :-)

Carl,
What would Christmas be, without this tune? And you did it such justice.:-)

FrozenIcicles,
It sounded like you were right here in my room, giving me a private performance! Way, way, to short :-(

Hope I haven't missed anyone, but you all, ROCK!!!!!!!!
Thank you.

Rob

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/07/09 09:33 AM

Elssa - great playing as usual - nice watching your hands, but it would be nice to see you too - maybe a double video setup edited together in the final - "The Christmas Waltz" is one of my favorite holiday tunes - I was thinking of doing it myself for this thread, but not now...can't compete with that!

JF

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/07/09 09:34 AM

Frank, I know that song, actually! Great rendition of it smile. Carl, that's one of my favorite Christmas songs of all time, thanks for sharing that! ROB, I really liked your piece as well. Frozen, how nice to hear violin, I think you sounded great!

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/07/09 09:39 AM

Frank - nice playing...very smooth.. not too sure about the strings though... FYI, this is a piano forum wink laugh

JF

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/07/09 10:14 AM

Elssa, I continue to be amazed by all your beautiful videos. You could package them all and sell a Christmas music CD/DVD!

frozenicicles, that duet was lovely. Most of the violin I hear these days is from my 10 year old (beginner) son, so you sounded like Joshua Bell to me in comparison! laugh

Frank, what a treat to have you join this thread! I wasn't familiar with that song, but I enjoyed it tremendously, and I actually liked the strings effect. thumb (btw, I have cut the top of my head off on more than one occasion. In fact, just yesterday I threw out a take where the piano playing itself wasn't too bad, but I had adjusted the camera so that the only thing visible on my head--and alas it was quite prominent--was my fat double chin. eek )

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/07/09 10:17 AM

Frank, that was great! Fun to see/hear you play. Hey, you could have told us you were wearing a santa hat... who would have known. smile

Frozei- Nice little duet. Short and sweet.

Carl, that was really pretty! Sweet ending.

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/07/09 10:41 AM

Frozenicicles/Away in a Manger
Its great that you can pull off your own duet. I agree, it was much too short, I would have loved to have heard more.

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/07/09 11:03 AM

Frank
Thanks for joining in, I enjoyed your strings version very much, it is a very calming piece. I thought a good performance as well!

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/07/09 12:00 PM

Frank - lovely piece. And I just got up (yes, it's 10 AM) and the strings were perfect for calming "just got up jitters." smile

Cathy

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/07/09 12:19 PM

Monica, you'll find that all violinists sound better with piano accompaniment. Maybe you can try accompanying your son and hear the difference. thumb

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/07/09 01:23 PM

Frank, a lovely way to start my day! I've never heard this and liked it alot! smile

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/07/09 01:45 PM

Another study break later...
It came upon a midnight clear

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/07/09 05:42 PM

Excellent, Frozenicicles! I enjoyed your "duet" very much.

Monica, be glad that your son is taking violin. I had a beginner violin (daughter), and 2 beginner trombones (sons), and believe me, the violin was much easier to take than the trombones. LOL Now my 10 year old granson begged me to give him one of the trombones. He's not taking lessons, and his dad forgot most of what he knew, so he's just blowing into it and trying to learn the positions. Yikes! Well, it's his parents' problem, as I live 2 hours away.
Posted by: salzdt

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/07/09 06:51 PM

Frank,
Good to see and hear you. Is youour Yamaha P80 a portable piano? I'mm thinking of getting a digital if we come down to FLorida for a few weeks. If you don't mind,how much is the P80?
Dot

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/07/09 07:13 PM

Frozen - Wow, another great entry! I'm really enjoying your duets!

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/07/09 08:12 PM

b528nf7,
Wow! that name is a mouthfull to type! May I call you Bill?

Rob

Yes - please call me Bill. I used my old corporate ID when I signed up here thinking I would probably never post. I should probably change it.

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/07/09 08:15 PM

smile cool

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/07/09 08:36 PM

Originally Posted By: salzdt
Frank,
Good to see and hear you. Is your Yamaha P80 a portable piano? I'm thinking of getting a digital if we come down to Florida for a few weeks. If you don't mind,how much is the P80?
Dot

Hi Dot,

Yes, it's a portable Digital Piano.

The P-80 is an older model, not sure what they would sell for now. I've been trying to find one for my sister too.
She's on the East side of Florida (Pompano Beach), I'm on the West side (Largo/Tampa/St. Pete area).

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/08/09 01:13 AM

Originally Posted By: TX-Dennis
And, Elssa, I do know The Christmas Waltz and I play it. Not as well as you do, though. I want to sing now . . . "It's that time of year when the world falls in love. Every song you hear seems to say Merry Christmas . . . etc."

Thanks, TX-Dennis. smile "...May your New Year dreams come true". http://www.rhapsody.com/the-carpenters
Posted by: AlleyKatt

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/08/09 08:21 AM

Happy Holidays! This thread is so WONDERFUL!! I've really enjoyed listening to all the Christmas music posted so far. In fact, I'm finding it hard to get any work done because I have to keep checking back to see what's new! This is my first time doing this but I wanted to get in the spirit and post something too. I just bought the Zoom H2 and with the help of a friend managed to get something recorded and ready to post. It is called "Once in Royal David's City" arranged by Lori Line.

Once in Royal David's City

Have a very happy and blessed holiday season!

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/08/09 08:49 AM

AlleyKatt - I have not heard this piece before but have enjoyed listening to it very much. Your piano sounds very rich and full - the quality of the recording is excellent. Thanks for posting this lovely song.

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/08/09 09:55 AM

AlleyKatt: I never looked at his one, but now you've inspired me to learn it! I do love Lorie Line's arrangements, except for the fact that the book is on shiny paper...how annoying.

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/08/09 11:07 AM

AlleyKatt
"Once in Royal David's City" This is one I am not familiar with so thanks for the submittal and introduction. I enjoyed listening to you play. I also enjoyed the tone of your piano.

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/08/09 11:15 AM

AlleyKat: Good job, especially for your first recording here. I really enjoyed listening to it. I hope you continue to frequent these forums and post your playing often. If you have a video camera, you should also consider making videos with the sound spliced in so we can get the whole experience. smile
Posted by: setchman

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/08/09 11:23 AM

AlleyKat,

That was very nice. I had not heard that song before. It is great performance and a very good recording, especially if that's your first shot at using the Zoom. You've already set the bar high for yourself.

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/08/09 11:34 AM

Alleykat - very charming piece, and nicely played. Glad you're here.

Cathy

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/08/09 12:17 PM

Here's one more by me....

Its me playing "Oh Little Town of Bethlehem" using the Sudnow Method, a cool fake book, and a little decorating. Here's how it sounded after about five days:

http://www.box.net/shared/0159kmify7

Thanks again for listening,
Angelo

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/08/09 12:50 PM

That was great Angelo - you're doing some nice stuff with Sudnow voicings - very sophisticated. I love hearing new takes on traditional tunes.

Cathy

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/08/09 02:06 PM

AlleyKatt - Very nice! I love this Christmas piece! Very delicately played - I too love the sound of your piano!

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/08/09 02:12 PM

Angelo - Love your chords! Really great job. I'm envious!
Posted by: AlleyKatt

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/08/09 07:09 PM

Thank you all so much for the kind comments about the Christmas piece I posted. I'm having a bit of a rough evening and your comments really make me feel happy and glad that I started playing again.

Thank you again and have a wonderful holiday season!

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/08/09 09:20 PM

AlleyKatt,
That is a lovely version, delicately played.
Add me to the list of fans of your piano sound :-)
Posted by: Triryche

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/08/09 09:51 PM

Great songs everybody!!

Frank has graced us ABFers with his appearance!! Cool Beans!! laugh

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/09/09 12:57 AM

Elssa, I continue to be amazed by all your beautiful videos. You could package them all and sell a Christmas music CD/DVD!

Thanks so much, Monica, for your kind comments! smile I do have a little something for sale, but it's a mix of songs and demos, not just songs. Maybe I should do all songs? confused Elssa's Holiday Songs Video

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/10/09 02:15 PM

My Mom, who is 88 years old, came over for a little cello practice this afternoon. We found a duet book with some Christmas songs. We read through Silent Night and I decided to record after the reading.

So, here is the world-wide debut of my Mom on cello and me on the Yamaha. 2hearts

Silent Night
http://www.box.net/shared/gn5bszk1jj

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/10/09 02:26 PM

Its me playing "Oh Little Town of Bethlehem" using the Sudnow Method, a cool fake book, and a little decorating.

That was so very cool Ang. Great voicings!
Isn't fakebook reading just so much FUN! grin

Barb
Posted by: JBiegel

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/10/09 02:26 PM

Thanks for the compliments on the Classical Carols cd! There are several books of these of various levels by Carolyne Taylor--at Lillenas.

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/10/09 02:29 PM

Swingin' Barb, that's so sweet that you're able to play with your mom. I wish I had a family member who played an instrument...I have to be lame and play duets by myself. Your mom must be going strong to be able to play the cello. I tried it a couple of times and it definitely takes more muscle than piano.

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/10/09 02:40 PM

Frozenicicles - Thank you for listening. Yes, Mom is strong. She lifts weights and rides her stationary bike daily. Music is fun for all ages.

Mom and I just listened to your Midnight Clear Duet. That was so very beautiful. 3hearts

Barb

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/10/09 03:05 PM

Barb,

I absolutely loved it.....

That really reminded me of that Christmas feeling....

Thanks Barb and Swingin' Barb's mom!

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/10/09 05:10 PM

Oh man Barb! That was the coolest! You and your mom sound great! thumb I should get my mom (who's 87) over here to play a duet - she only plays piano and she's a little rusty, but it's giving me ideas.... wink

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/10/09 05:15 PM

Originally Posted By: JBiegel
Thanks for the compliments on the Classical Carols cd! There are several books of these of various levels by Carolyne Taylor--at Lillenas.

You're welcome, Jeff! But you're one the wrong thread. You want to be on this thread here. laugh

I do love your CD, though. I was playing it just yesterday. smile

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/10/09 05:56 PM

I should get my mom (who's 87) over here to play a duet - she only plays piano and she's a little rusty, but it's giving me ideas....

CMohr - Thanks so much. Yes, you need to play duets with your Mom. Then, record it and post it. You will both have a blast. Trust me, it was quite an afternoon as Mom witnessed the entire recording, boxnet, and Piano World posting process. She knows that she is being heard 'round the world! laugh yippie

Ang -- Thank you. Mom and I did have that Christmas feeling doing together what we both love doing.

Barb

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/10/09 06:46 PM

Barb - what a treat! I loved it! Has your Mom always played cello, or is she currently taking lessons - AB on cello? At any rate, it was great.

Cathy

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/10/09 07:00 PM

Thanks, Cathy. My Mom played cello in her high school orchestra. She took “group” cello lessons in school. After high school, she stopped playing. Then started playing again as a hobby 50 years later. I’ve tried to teach her piano, but her heart is with the cello. heart

Barb

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/10/09 08:20 PM

That was lovely, Barb! smile I really like the combination of piano and cello together (BTW, do you two play "The Swan"?). Sounded wonderful. thumb

Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/10/09 08:52 PM

Elssa – Thank you. It just so happens that “The Swan” is my Mom’s favorite. We haven’t played it in years. I’ll have to dig it out of hiding and work that one up again after she gets all the Christmas songs out of her system. "The Swan" will be a major undertaking.

Barb

BTW -- Mom loves your videos!

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/10/09 09:07 PM

AlleyKat, I'll just echo the sentiments of everybody else: That's a gorgeous piece/arrangement. I will definitely need to look up Lorie Line's sheet music.

Barb, I got all misty-eyed listening to you and your mom. You are so lucky to have her nearby and healthy so you can play with her, and she is so lucky to have YOU to play with. smile

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/10/09 09:21 PM

Monica -- Thank you for your sweet thoughts. Yes, we are lucky to have each other nearby. Music keeps both of us YOUNG! 2hearts

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/10/09 09:43 PM

Barb
That was great! What a wonderful opportunity to share the season with your Mom and share your Mom with us. Please tell your her she absolutely nailed the ending thumb

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/11/09 06:46 AM

Carl -- thanks so much. I will certainly let her know that her ending got a "thumbs up" from a tough Piano World critic. grin

Barb

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/11/09 07:28 AM

That was wonderful, Barb! It must be so much fun to do duets with your Mom. :-)

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/11/09 07:53 AM

I'm glad you enjoyed it. We do laugh a lot when we play together. What is so funny is that she is not real good with note names, but she does know where her fingers are supposed to land. Go figure! laugh

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/11/09 09:23 PM

I'm glad you enjoyed it. We do laugh a lot when we play together. What is so funny is that she is not real good with note names, but she does know where her fingers are supposed to land. Go figure! laugh

Strings instruments make you feel more "at one" with them. You have much more control of the pitch and sound than on a piano. I've always had cello envy...wish I'd started that instead of violin. smile It just sounds so lovely and mellow. Viola too...but violas always get the most boring parts in the orchestra. Tell her to keep it up, from one beginner strings player to another!

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/12/09 06:48 AM

Originally Posted By: Frozenicicles
Tell her to keep it up, from one beginner strings player to another!

Will do! smile
Posted by: icekid767

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/12/09 11:52 AM

Good job everyone. All the nice Christmas tunes sure get me in the spirit. smile I have a contribution and I hope you all like it. The quality isn't very good towards the end, because it is a MiniDV and I think the tape was scratched.

'What Child Is This' from the Charlie Brown Christmas album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAEDsdXhPtc&feature=player_embedded

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/12/09 12:10 PM

icekid767 - That was a very cool arrangement. You played it beautifully. I particularly love those fills.

Your cat's toy squeaked on the beat. laugh Talented cat you have there!

Barb

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/12/09 12:23 PM

nice, icekid - I'll have to use those fast little grace notes in something. I like the arrangement, but I don't think I could do the fast arpeggios. So much to learn - But nice work.

Cathy

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/12/09 01:17 PM

Thanks guys. This arrangement is right out of the Charlie Brown Christmas music book, note for note. Vince Guaraldi liked those grace notes and they're super easy to do.

As for the cat, I think we're on to something. She only plays with that toy when I play the piano. smile
Posted by: Viktor Séthy

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/12/09 02:27 PM

Then let's hear some Christmas songs in jazz - rock :
http://www.box.net/shared/t8brgorjn5
http://www.box.net/shared/g9mm1y1xrc
http://www.box.net/shared/p8brgjbakj

Well,if you like it,check out my other stuff on:
http://www.myspace.com/viktorsethy

Happy Christmas for you all!!!
Vik

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/12/09 04:38 PM

I'm really enjoying everyone's holiday renditions here! smile

Trying out using the Church Organ setting on my Roland here:

Hark, The Herald Angels Sing (Mendelssohn)

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/12/09 08:14 PM

IceKid, really nice Greensleeves! I thoroughly enjoyed it! I've been trying some Vince Girauldi lately and... you've got it. Good job!

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/12/09 08:18 PM

Viktor, those are beautiful songs! You must have a digital with all the bells and whistles! Loved the flute!
Keep 'em coming!

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/12/09 11:08 PM

I’ve really enjoyed all the submissions here so far!

And, what an unexpected pleasure to have our host, Frank B to join us!

Here is a new Christmas song I wrote recently. I’ll be performing it at a Christmas musical program at my Church this Sunday. It’s nothing spectacular, but I hope you all like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMKgSK01_XM

Take care!

Rick

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/13/09 04:09 PM

Here's a quickie from me which everyone knows, Christmas time is here. I played it by ear since I can't find the lead sheet I used to use for it.

http://www.box.net/shared/n6pm98j17m

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/13/09 04:16 PM

RICK - your Christmas song is wonderful! I can't imagine ANYONE not enjoying it today. What a nice addition to this thread!

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/13/09 04:19 PM

MR. SH - Holy cow! That was incredible! So rich - nice runs! And, of course, the piano sounds great!

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/13/09 07:14 PM

Mr. Super-Hunky, that was superb! Your piano sounded absolutely wonderful, especially the bass… and, your playing was beautiful! I enjoyed it much!

CMohr, thank you for the kind words! I kind of liked that song too.

Take care,

Rick

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/14/09 02:27 AM

Originally Posted By: mr_super-hunky
Here's a quickie from me which everyone knows, Christmas time is here. I played it by ear since I can't find the lead sheet I used to use for it.
http://www.box.net/shared/n6pm98j17m

That was really gorgeous, SH. smile That's one of my all-time favorite Christmas songs. I have the book "A Charlie Brown Christmas" (Hal Leonard), and you inspired me to go through it again. Wow, what beautiful chords with this song (Fmaj9, Eb13#11,..). I liked your arrangement even better than the book's. thumb

Here's a fun little holiday song.. Hope you enjoy: smile

SLEIGH RIDE

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/14/09 04:35 AM

Good playing SH - enjoyed that a lot!

JF

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/14/09 07:35 AM

Rick, I love your "Reason For the Season". It was just beautiful.

Mr. SH - "Christmas Time is Here" was great. I loved your arrangement. I miss watching Charlie Brown with my kids, who are grown and have families of their own now.

Elssa - Wonderful arrangement of "Sleigh Ride". It made me happy, and I can hear those sleigh bells. I should listen to this one while I wrap presents.

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/14/09 07:56 AM

Rickster - I really like this. Your song and performance have a relaxed, spiritual quality and your vocal is first rate.

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/14/09 08:00 AM

Elssa - I like your arrangement of Hark! The Herald Angels Sing, especially the moving bass line.

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/14/09 08:03 AM

Mr. S-H - Very nice arrangement and performance of Christmas Time is Here.

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/14/09 09:31 AM

Mr. Super-hunky, I really enjoyed that rendition! How nice!

Rick, what a great message...I'm sure everyone at church will love it!
Posted by: nadirfend

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/14/09 05:47 PM

Hi All...

VERY new here... Found this site via a thread/link to a piece of mine, wherein a few piano technicians were discussing why I "use the strings" like I do for some of my projects...

And in keeping with the "using the strings" technique, here is my humble offering to the Christmas Music thread here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aHOHErWms8 (new this year...)

Here's another one from a few years back...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdVgqttjdTI

Please enjoy these, comment to your heart's delight (I NEED feedback! smile ), and share with others, if you are so inclined...!

Hope your holidays are GREAT!!

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/14/09 05:51 PM

mr super-hunky - whoa! that was lush and beautiful! You are really sounding great!

Cathy

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/14/09 08:10 PM

SH- Great version of that piece. You gave it a great feeling.

Rickster- that sounds like a standard. You got a winner there.
Posted by: Scott The Piano Guy

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/14/09 10:09 PM

Happy holidays all! I was just going through a bunch of these posts and got big smiles on my face over and over - nice job all!

In the spirit of Christmas I wanted to share a quick vid I did for my newsletter a few weeks ago. It gives away some nice chord changes to Jingle Bells that, after listening to some of these posts, should be right up everyone's alley.

In constantly being sensitive to not pitching stuff here in the forums, this link just goes to a generic page (vs. my website) and I'm pretty sure I don't mention any products in the vid so I think I'm OK giving this one to you guys as "little present" for the holidays.

(Frank, if it's not OK just take it down. I'm fine with whatever ... just thought it would be fun for Christmas coming up.)

here's the link to the vid:
Hip Jingle Bells Chord Changes

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/14/09 10:55 PM

angelojf: great job doing o little town of Bethlehem smile
Barb, that was a really nice duet to listen too that you played with your mom!
icekid: liked yours also! very creative
Elssa: nice videos as always!
Vik: enjoyed listening to yours as well!
Rickster: great job on composing that song!Im sure everyone will love it
mr sh: Amazing arrangement smile
scott: creative way for changing the jingle bells chords. I'll have to try it!

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/14/09 11:06 PM

Thanks for the comments, Ladypayne, Peyton, Bill, mom3gram and all!

And, Scott, that was a great training video on the fancy cords for Jinglebells! I enjoy all your training videos!

Take care,

Rick

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/14/09 11:58 PM

Here's another christmas submission from me. Hope ya all didn't forget about that somewhat annoying song everyone sings at schools for choir etc :P Or at least I always thought it was kind of annoying haha..
We Wish you a Merry Christmas!

Video:
http://s821.photobucket.com/albums/zz139...uaMerryXmas.flv

mp3
http://www.box.net/shared/ep48e11dbi

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/15/09 12:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Scott The Piano Guy
Happy holidays all! I was just going through a bunch of these posts and got big smiles on my face over and over - nice job all!

In the spirit of Christmas I wanted to share a quick vid I did for my newsletter a few weeks ago. It gives away some nice chord changes to Jingle Bells that, after listening to some of these posts, should be right up everyone's alley.

In constantly being sensitive to not pitching stuff here in the forums, this link just goes to a generic page (vs. my website) and I'm pretty sure I don't mention any products in the vid so I think I'm OK giving this one to you guys as "little present" for the holidays.

(Frank, if it's not OK just take it down. I'm fine with whatever ... just thought it would be fun for Christmas coming up.)

Happy Holidays Scott!

Seems OK to me and thank you very much for posting this. I will have to give this a go later this week. I'd love to also get something similar (and simple) for the good old Classic "The Christmas Song".

I'm also very chuffed that you come on here and share these things with us thumb

- SC

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/15/09 08:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Scott The Piano Guy

Scott- Those were fun!! Give more!! smile

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/15/09 10:05 AM

nadirfend

I found your post as fascinating to watch as to listen to. What great imagination. You have a wonderful gift, thanks for sharing, I enjoyed these very much.

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/15/09 10:22 AM

Scott
Enjoyed watching your chord construction of "Jingle Bells"
Looking forward to trying this one. Thanks!

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/15/09 10:32 AM

MR. SH
Great playing "Christmas Time" I don't know which is better your ear or your piano! They make a wonderful pairing.

Elssa
Thanks for the Sleigh Ride...I had fun!

Ladypayne
Thanks for the Merry Christmas Wish, I enjoyed listening.

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/15/09 11:33 AM

Hi, Scott - I laughed all the way thru the Jingle Bells. I won't remember the exact chords, but it'll make my experimenting crazier yet - which is good, really, it's good! I can hardly wait to try out more minors and then major 7ths instead of dominants. Thanks for the smiles this morning.

Cathy
Posted by: nadirfend

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/16/09 08:44 AM

Carl Mc - Thanks for watching/listening... and for your kind comment(s) - I'm glad you enjoyed them.

I've been having *BIG* fun using these 'string methods' (see: Henry Cowell, etc.), and combining/looping them with the computer, in a 'live' presentation. - It's very much like walking on eggs sometime... But I'm learning to wear soft shoes as I proceed down this path... smile
Posted by: Always Wanted to Play Piano

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/16/09 03:03 PM

Working on O Come O Come Emmanuel from Bastien's Christmas Book 4. Some very unnatural jumps for me, and it's been very slow going, but I'll get something posted in the next week or so.

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/17/09 03:21 PM

It's good to see everyone getting along so well. I just got off the company's union forum and I needed to escape to make sure that the world isn't coming to an end. smile

Mr. S-H, good job on Christmas Time is here. I think I remember that from a couple of years back. Ladypayne, I liked your piece...it sounds like a clock playing.

I just recorded another video and I'm going to take my Best Buy rewards and cash them in for a new video camera, because the quality is terrible. I hope you can look past that. I'm a big fan of Vince Guaraldi, so here's another one. Christmas Song from the Charlie Brown Christmas Album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaAqH6F17tI&feature=player_embedded
Posted by: Scott The Piano Guy

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/17/09 03:55 PM

OK, I heard the "jazzy jingle bells" I posted a few days ago was a little tough for some of you. For you beginners, here's 3 sequential lessons to get you playing a very passable version of Silent Night by next week's holiday.

If this gets any of you playing Silent Night in the next few days - post it here! Let's hear it!

Have fun! smile

If you want a lead sheet in the key I am playing it you can get one here:
PDF of Silent Night Lead Sheet

Lesson 1:

Lesson 2:

Lesson 3:
Posted by: scmay

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/17/09 05:40 PM

I've thoroughly enjoyed all the Christmas songs posted here. Just out of curiosity, what do you all use to record video? The recordings are pretty good quality, without any background noise (and some recordings are clear without any editing). Does a normal web camera suffice, or a normal camera, or do I need to invest in a camcorder?

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/17/09 06:10 PM

icekid
Good one! Very nice job with the Christmas Song classic.

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/18/09 12:27 AM

to scmay: i just use a regular digital camera for mine. Nothing to special, then I use a freecorder toolbar which you can get for free off the net and I use the record audio button to get my audio mp3 from my video and load it up to box.net :P pretty simple and inexpensive way of doing it. Or I'm sure you can invest in more expensive ways to record your videos if you want really good quality stuff.

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/18/09 12:54 AM

I just bought a Pure Digital Ultra HD with my Best Buy rewards card and I re-recorded the Charlie Brown Christmas song this evening. I think this one may be a little better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyRRdxb87iw
Posted by: ten left thumbs

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/18/09 02:05 PM

I took Scott's jingle bells, and, well, jingled up the chords, and here's what I came up with:

http://www.box.net/shared/sqqy3z02oq

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/18/09 02:41 PM

Originally Posted By: ten left thumbs
I took Scott's jingle bells, and, well, jingled up the chords, and here's what I came up with:

http://www.box.net/shared/sqqy3z02oq

Well done indeed! thumb
- SC

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/18/09 03:40 PM

Originally Posted By: TTigg

Well done indeed! thumb
- SC

Thanks! smile You can tell I'm just feeling my way in it.

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) - 12/20/09 10:40 AM

TLT
Good job!
I played around with this the other day as well, it is fun to fill the gaps. I must spend a little more time over in the jazz thread. I suspect I could learn a lot on improvisation.

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/20/09 02:38 PM

Originally Posted By: scmay
I've thoroughly enjoyed all the Christmas songs posted here. Just out of curiosity, what do you all use to record video? The recordings are pretty good quality, without any background noise (and some recordings are clear without any editing). Does a normal web camera suffice, or a normal camera, or do I need to invest in a camcorder?

I'm using a Canon PowerShot A550 digital camera/recorder. smile

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/22/09 02:01 PM

I enjoyed your Jingle Bells, Ten Left Thumbs, with the sophisticated cords! thumb

Here is my version of “Jingle Bells”. Of course, I'm back to my old jazzy, bluesy self. I think I’m just hyper. grin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aloL3lC81I

Take care and Merry Christmas All!!

Rick

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/22/09 03:43 PM

Coming from you Rickster, that means a lot to me. smile

I prefer your version, especially the bits where you go off the page into your bluesy thing. And you always look so happy when you play. Sometimes I feel I should transcribe what you play, but there are just so many notes!

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/22/09 09:33 PM

TLT- Really liked your reharm on the Jingle Bells! I've got to try some of this.

RICKSTER-some day I hope I will be able to play as relaxed as you do. You just look like you're having the time of your life! Does anyone ever sing along with you? I think it would be hard not to. Really great!

This thread has given me so much joy this month - EVERYONE was wonderful! I've been away from the computer for a few days, so trying to catch up.

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/22/09 09:58 PM

LadyPayne-I'm glad you played We Wish You a Merry Christmas - who doesn't like that one?! (it's one even I can play w/o too many mistakes. ha-ha!) Good job!

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/22/09 11:22 PM

Here's a Mark Hayes arrangement of Joy to the World that I nearly tore my hair out as I was trying to make this for a Christmas CD to give to friends and family. Nothing like the holidays to get us all nice and stressed out!! laugh

http://www.box.net/shared/r4ltby8yqm
Posted by: AnthonyB

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/22/09 11:31 PM

Morodiene, if none of your friends and family manage to give you compliments then at least I will. It takes a lot of dedication to try and undertake a musical project like that (and in a fairly short timeframe too.)

Plus, you still find some time to waste on the IRC channel as well. smile

Maybe I'll tackle some Christmas stuff for next year when I'll have more family members closer for the holidays. Or maybe I can convince someone else to learn how to play piano and make them learn the Christmas stuff. wink

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/22/09 11:36 PM

really nice Morodiene! I like it alot! You always play really fancy pieces! :P
Posted by: grotrianer

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/23/09 06:31 AM

An impressionistic rendition of bells tolling on Christmas Eve, with fragments of "O Sanctissima"/"O Du Fröhliche"/"O How Joyfully" thrown in:

Ferruccio Busoni - Nuit de Noël

Happy holidays everybody!

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/23/09 07:23 AM

I really enjoyed your Jazzy Jingle Bells, Rick! That was awesome!

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/23/09 07:28 AM

That was super, Morodiene! Your family and friends are going to love it. Great playing and a super arrangement.

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/23/09 08:28 AM

Thanks anthony, lady and mom3gram. I think you should plan on it for next year, anythony...you already have the recording part down, which I was working out in the process!

grotrainer: wow, that was really unexpected! Hauntingly beautiful, thanks for sharing that!

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/23/09 10:11 AM

Morodiene
My favorite... it had me smiling the whole way through!
Loved it!
PS
What is required to get on your "friends" list?
Sure would like a copy of the CD

PPS
It is unflattering to beg.

PPPS
Just a little?

PPPPS
No!

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/23/09 10:27 AM

Grotrianer
Wonderful expression, It was an unexpected path leading to an unexpected ending... I enjoyed listening!

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/23/09 10:46 AM

Morodiene
My favorite... it had me smiling the whole way through!
Loved it!
PS
What is required to get on your "friends" list?
Sure would like a copy of the CD

Photo ID, completed application, and a $20 processing fee. laugh

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/23/09 11:21 AM

grin

Bet I can make it next year!
Merry Christmas Morodiene!

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/23/09 01:19 PM

Speaking of holiday piano music, our own Robin Meloy Goldsby (the Piano Girl) is a featured guest on Marion McPartland's Piano Jazz Holiday Special with her original composition "First Snow" ...

Piano Jazz Holiday Special

Piano Jazz regularly features new tunes written for the holiday season, and the tradition continues with Robin Meloy Goldsby's original composition, "First Snow." This tune was inspired by a performance Goldsby gave at a German castle during the first snowfall of the season, and the opening notes instantly paint this magical scene.

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/23/09 02:18 PM

grin

Bet I can make it next year!
Merry Christmas Morodiene!

LOL! Merry Christmas smile Maybe I'll upload some more when I get a chance after Christmas.

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/23/09 07:40 PM

Morodiene, that was great playing!! I love the arrangement.

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/24/09 03:37 AM

Morodiene - just terrific! smile Is that arrangement from a book or a single sheet?
Always looking for great new arrangements of Christmas carols.

Thanks to everyone for all the wonderful Christmas music! You were all great! thumb This thread has really made this season more special for me.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU ALL!!

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/24/09 11:36 AM

Morodiene - just terrific! smile Is that arrangement from a book or a single sheet?
Always looking for great new arrangements of Christmas carols.

Thanks to everyone for all the wonderful Christmas music! You were all great! thumb This thread has really made this season more special for me.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU ALL!!

It's from his Well-Tempered Christmas:
http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/Well-Tempered-Christmas-Piano-Collection/5452554

I enjoy "I Wonder as I Wander," "Manger Medley," and "Sing We Now of Christmas" arrangements the best in this book.

I hope you all have a wonderful day celebrating the greatest miracle the world has ever seen in Jesus' birth: God becoming man to save us all from our sins. smile

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/24/09 01:11 PM

Merry Christmas to all my fellow ABF'ers. I wish wellness for you and your families and may the joy of music reside in your heart!

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/26/09 03:40 PM

Sorry, this is a bit late, but hope you enjoy. Merry Christmas! grin

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/26/09 05:11 PM

That was great, Elssa! I enjoyed it much!!! I liked your mild boggie-woogie flair in the left hand!

You play really well!

Thanks for sharing!!

Rick

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/27/09 01:23 AM

Thanks, Rick! I couldn't really decide whether to play it in a ballad or boogie-woogie style, so I did both. smile

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/30/09 08:18 PM

Rick & all, just curious, what is your favorite boogie-woogie style/pattern to play? Favorite boogie/blues songs? smile

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/30/09 10:20 PM

Hi Elssa,
I love your Boogie-Woogie style and patterns. Your playing is smooth, precise and calculated.

I like any Boogie-Woogie style, but I have become partial to the Jerry Lee Lewis style. I also like the Fats Domino style.

I came across this YT tutorial on left hand boogie styles and I’ve learned from it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3_zRmb-0u0&feature=related

I’ve sort of developed my own simple LH boogie style shown in this tutorial. (Disclaimer… this is a pitiful display of an attempt to help out a fellow YT member; plus, my southern drawl is very prominent, and I wish I had done more playing and less talking!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD0SyN_2ztk

And, this young fellow is my idol!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKdhbkmRrws

Again, I love any and all “Boogie-Woogie”!

Take care, and Happy New Year!!

Rick

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/31/09 01:03 AM

HI Rick,

Quote:
I came across this YT tutorial on left hand boogie styles and I’ve learned from it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3_zRmb-0u0&feature=related

That was really good.. I especially like and also use what he calls the "Basic Shuffle" and the "Bumble Boogie" pattern.. (here's my version of that pattern; I put more of a swing/dotted rhythm into it):

Quote:
I’ve sort of developed my own simple LH boogie style shown in this tutorial. (Disclaimer… this is a pitiful display of an attempt to help out a fellow YT member; plus, my southern drawl is very prominent, and I wish I had done more playing and less talking!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD0SyN_2ztk

That was terrific.. lots of fun! Thanks for posting it! smile

Happy New Year!

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/31/09 08:50 AM

For Auld Lang Syne:

http://www.box.net/shared/nhdhitn5p8

It's a year now since I took up guitar, and I like this arrangement very much. I only wish I could play it better!

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/31/09 11:04 AM

Hi Elssa,

I loved your "bumble/shuffle/walking boogie style" on Chatanooga Choo-Choo! You've got great control as well as excellent LH/RH coordination!

And Ten-Left-Thumbs, I loved your version of "For Auld Lang Syne"! on the guitar!! The guitar was my very first musical instrument I learned to play many years ago.

I enjoyed the submissions!!

Happy New Year to all my ABF friends!!

Rick
Posted by: limavady

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/31/09 02:36 PM

thanks rickster for posting that. I'm going to get of use out of that... (he's out of tune which makes me feel like I'm out of tune!) but I'm just getting to the point where i'm starting to be able to become independent with both hands and it's really a rush! Spent alot of yesterday working on getting this (both hands)on swannee river boogie as well as trying much the same bass pattern to chattanooga choo choo. Can anyone offer a suggestion for chattanooga choo choo? That is, I'm doing a basic 12 bar blues in C for this with a Bb minor thrown in for part of the turnaround. I know there's probably more to it than this but not being proficient in jazz chords i think I've managed to make this work. Any ideas on embellishing this version I've hacked together in maybe making it better w/ getting too complex in jazz chords. Actually even a suggestion on a decent transcription with the proper chords that i could work on would be cool.

I really like that guy on youtube Tommy Johnson who does a Chattanooga Choo Choo version that's great. Also trying to get a handle of his version of Night Train.

Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc - 12/31/09 03:18 PM

Thankyou Rickster! Somehow I thought you might play guitar too.

I've been enjoying your tutti frutti tutorial. I love the bit where you blank out and forget what a 'G' is! smile You really do play very well.