Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano

Posted by: boogieman52

Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 09/29/10 03:23 AM

Hi,

I am working with Tim Richards' Improvising Blues Piano http://www.timrichards.ndo.co.uk/bluespianobook.html

Some years ago there was a Topic about it, but now it seems dead and gone.

So... Is there anybody out there working with this Book?

I am at the very beginning, but I think to spend the next 2-3 years with it and any observation, comment etc. will be wellcome!

Thanks in advance.
Posted by: Chris G

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 09/29/10 01:24 PM

Originally Posted By: boogieman52
Hi,

I am working with Tim Richards' Improvising Blues Piano http://www.timrichards.ndo.co.uk/bluespianobook.html

Some years ago there was a Topic about it, but now it seems dead and gone.

So... Is there anybody out there working with this Book?

I am at the very beginning, but I think to spend the next 2-3 years with it and any observation, comment etc. will be wellcome!

Thanks in advance.

I think Tim Richards's book is the best book for learning the blues, I've worked through a few different books but that was the one which was most useful.

My main advice is that the first few chapters are the most important ones so take your time and be sure to work through the sections where you are asked to improvise based on the the principles he has just explained.

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 09/29/10 01:55 PM

Thanks, Chris!

That's what I have decided to do, so I am working the first few chapters very slowly and step by step.

For example, when I improvise I do not use what I have learned from other books or DVDs, but I try to follow the assignments Tim has just given.

Sometimes it's a little frustrating, but I think it's the right way!
Posted by: Chris G

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 09/29/10 03:25 PM

Thanks, Chris!

That's what I have decided to do, so I am working the first few chapters very slowly and step by step.

For example, when I improvise I do not use what I have learned from other books or DVDs, but I try to follow the assignments Tim has just given.

Sometimes it's a little frustrating, but I think it's the right way!

I also think that it is the right way. There are several distinct strategies for creating blues lines and while an advanced player will use them interchangeably it is a lot easier to learn them one at a time than all at once.
Posted by: dissyfingers

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 09/29/10 08:58 PM

Hi..Im using this book..there is a lot emphasis on assignments and improvisation.....I usually copy other peoples riffs as they are usually copy's of the original artist's recordings...I am a keen boogie player and are using the Colin Davey ...Learn to play Boogie Woogie book...both are excellent...have you got the Blueberry Hill syncopation left and right hand down pat??...hope we can keep talking to each other about progressing through the book.......Doug

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 09/30/10 02:17 AM

Hi Dough,

the Colin Davey's book is great too and I do love it.

I bought Improvising Blues piano just a couple of days ago, so at the moment I'm working Beginner's Blues (Melodic) and its Improvisations and Assignments.

In particular I'm trying to get that driving and bouncing sound from Fig. 1.12 (b) pag.16.

The bass line in itself is easy but, as Tim Richards says, the semplicity can be deceptive!
When I listen to Yancey Stomp by Jimmy Yancey -that uses the same bass line- I wonder how he can get that bouncing sound...

Let's stay in touch and share our experience with this excellent book.
Posted by: VideoTiger

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 09/30/10 04:29 PM

This is a very good book on the subject. I would guess however several parts are above the reach of a true beginner.

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 09/30/10 05:07 PM

I think Tim Richards is right when he wrotes:

"Although a basic competence of about grade three is assumed, no matter what your level you should be able to find suitable pieces to play in every chapter of this book."

Probably it is also important how much time one has spent listening to the Blues.
In this case, imitation is the key to unlock what is too difficult from the point of view of the tecnique.

At least this is what I hope, while trying to play Beginner's Boogie (pag...18!:-)

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 09/30/10 09:20 PM

Hi Boogieman52..VideoTiger..The main objective with this book ...just work at a pace you can cope with..Listen to the CD ( burn a copy and keep the original for a master) over and over so you have got the timing in your head and I always use a metronome....I agree, imitation is what I have done playing blues guitar over the years....I have just got back into Piano after 55 years...Played as kid in late 40's early 50's..There are a lot of the left hand riffs that are copied by each of the boogie and blues players...I have about 30 different left hand boogie's in the books I have and some of them only change 1 note..
As Tim says don't be afraid to jump through the book and try different things as you can come back to the starter pages as you want ...I think technique comes with the playing....Doug
Posted by: Bruce Siegel

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 10/01/10 03:33 AM

Hi Boogieman,

Tim Richards has put together a great course. But I do have one word of caution. On page 18, after a few beginner's pieces, he makes a huge jump in the level of difficulty, and introduces a left hand pattern that is quite difficult to play. Depending on how advanced you are, you might be wise to use a simpler left hand pattern for that lesson (and maybe some others, too.)

He actually makes it easy for you to do this, because on page 244, in Appendix II, he lists a wide assortment of blues left-hand patterns that you can choose from. That's one of the great features of the book.

Can I also toot my own horn here? On my site, I've got a beautifully produced 2-part video lesson called "How to Play a 12-Bar Blues Shuffle".

Perfect for beginners, it covers some of the same ground as the Richards book, and is particularly helpful because you can watch my playing from an overhead perspective, and also from the side view so you can grasp the technique required to play in this style.

Step by step, it teaches you the left hand pattern, all chords & fingering, how to play a shuffle rhythm and more.

Have fun with the blues!

Oh—you can find it here: http://www.doctorkeys.com/chord-piano-lessons/12-bar-blues-shuffle-pt1.html

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 10/01/10 03:43 AM

Hi Dough,
thanks for your feedback!
I like to play along the CD: with the software Audacity I can slow down the tempo without altering the pitch. I start very slowly and then go faster.
In this way I don't miss the feeling and the timing of the Music I try to play.
Tim's book is great because even the easiest tracks sound like the real thing.
Goog luck for your getting back into Piano and congratulations for your Blues experience!

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 10/01/10 10:38 AM

Hi b-52 .. I am using software as well..its called SmartScore...it has helped me work on sequence of bars in Albert Ammons -Monday Struggle ..it too can slow tempo down to 30 bpm...I can also make it loop just 1 bar or 10 if need be....When playing left hand walking bass as referred by Bruce this just takes a lot of practice...I was playing this when I was a kid ..In the Mood ..was one them...you have to play just left hand until it gets smooth ...it takes a long time ie: months and in short bursts or you will injure your wrist......The good thing about D/P is its ability to record the left hand boogie sequence..I can loop it in 12 bar and concentrate practicing right hand riffs ..pick ups and put downs and triplets ...not so good playing both together ...but it is coming together slowly......Doug
Posted by: Gyro

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 10/01/10 04:21 PM

A book like this is going to have very little meaning for you unless you have experience improvising. That is, you don't read this book so that you can improvise, you improvise so that you can follow what's going on in the book. Without a trained ear, the stuff in the book will seem meaningless; and the way you get a trained ear is to improvise. To improvise, sit down at the piano and just dig in with both hands and improvise, completely by ear, with no regard for theory, or whether you're doing things "right" or not. When you do this, you really learn about the instrument and what you can do on it, in a way that you can never learn from classical piano, or books on jazz or blues. You train your ear this way, which you never get experience with in classical piano, or when studying books like this.

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 10/01/10 09:25 PM

Hi...Gryo....Have you heard of having a bit of fun...I think thats what boogieman 52 and myself are doing..the books are just a stepping stone and quite enjoyable to peruse through..I have started to play again for my own enjoyment not to be criticized by snobs who have their own aggenda..I have a friend who plays grade 8 classical...he wont play standards.boogie.blues in fear that it will upset his body clock....each to their own!!!!!..he lives a very boring life...I also play guitar...played in bands for 45 years... nothing more boring than so called blues lead improvisation that goes on for 10 minutes using 5 notes over and over what a lot of whale s##t..I would rather learn someone else's well though out melody for a lead break any day...Doug
Posted by: eweiss

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 10/01/10 09:38 PM

Originally Posted By: dissyfingers
Hi...Gryo....Have you heard of having a bit of fun...I think thats what boogieman 52 and myself are doing..the books are just a stepping stone and quite enjoyable to peruse through..I have started to play again for my own enjoyment not to be criticized by snobs who have their own aggenda..

Critcized? I don't see it on his post nor expect it from Gyro who may be the only person at PW who I've never seen attack anyone. Gyro has simply stated his opinion on playing piano. That's it.

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 10/02/10 01:26 AM

Hi Bruce,
actually Beginner's Boogie and its bass line (pag. 18) are the first hard steps for me, so -while practicing it- I'm also studying Sixth Blues (pag. 50) and its more confortable bass line.
One of the reasons I like Tim Richard's IBP is this opportunity to jump to the beginning of the next chapter and find easier stuff.
Thanks for your link: it's very interesting, but at the moment I prefer to stay with Tim's program.

Hi Dough,
I am considering SmartScore Piano Edition, even if I don't need all its functions.
I do agree with what you said about having fun: I'm 58, loved the Blues all my life, played fingerpicking guitar and now I want to spend my time fooling around with the piano.
After many books, DVD and a Gold Membership to a web site, I think that IBP is the more comprehensive tool I have ever found and I keep practicing its written music and its improvisation assignment. They are fine and in a few days I have improved my playing.

Hi Gyro,
as I said, before, I have listened to the Blues all my life and I do love to sit at the piano and improvise, but I think that IBP is helping me to do it better.
It doesn't seems to me that improvising and a good book (+ CD) on Blues go different ways.

Thanks to everybody for their posts and for reading this topic!

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 10/02/10 03:21 AM

Hi b/52... How long are you spending on left hand riffs... are you playing till it hurts??
I find the text is worth reading in all of Tims book...certianly reading over a chapter several times to take in what it requires next ..I read several of them at a time so I can apply several of the parts together..Can you transcribe to another key while reading what you are playing.....Doug

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 10/02/10 04:56 AM

Hi Dough,
Thanks for your questions!

1) No, I don'y play riffs till my left hand hurts, because I am afraid of injuries, but I play till my fingers become weak. At the moment I have time, so I can play many hours each and every day, resting beetwen one session and the other.

2) Yes, I read the chapter I'm studying many time and I read also chapters I'm not studying yet.

3) No, I can't trascribe to another key while reading. When I played fingerpicking guitar I used tabs and now at the piano my sight reading is not very good: I can read, but I need time. Furthermore I am a little lazy and I try to play almost in the key of C.
I know many people think this is a mistake and probably I do to, but I play alone, so I don't have the urge to study other keys.
But... with the help of Mr. Tim Richards I am going to change my mind and try the key of G, F and even the key of Bb etc... :-)
B52

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 10/02/10 01:47 PM

Just started Jump Shuffle (pag. 53): a very nice swing feel!

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 10/03/10 03:10 AM

Hi b-52..The jump shuffle has a great sound..Thats why I asked you if you had tried the Blue Berry Hill 4 triplets to the bar with a just a shuffle bass instead of the walking line it use's..... The 6th chording has a far better sound than the triads..I'm using them as fills on different boogie lines I'm trying out..I can transcribe as I'm reading..had to learn this when I was playing guitar in rock n roll bands backing up front artist's..this was not only chords but melody lines as well for lead breaks....Site reading is impotent as the more you do it the easer it comes....I was having a problem reading 2 to 3 octaves below middle C for a while when learning Monday Struggle but it has become easy now as I use the music sheet all the time in front of me instead of memorizing it...Doug

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 10/03/10 02:05 PM

Hi Dough,

when I play the Second Chorus in Jump Shuffle, sometimes I feel like a child swinging on a swing... :-)

Next steps:
1) a smooth passage from the two choruses;
2) that swing feel also when I improvise.

At he moment I memorize a song and I just read the score when I am not sure what's coming next and I need a help.

I hope to be able to play Monday Struggle one day... I have the Colin Davey's transcription, but at the moment it's Greek to me. :-)

b-52

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 10/03/10 06:28 PM

Hi b-52 I have been working on the Colin Davey transcription for about 3 months..can play the first 2 pages just fair so far..I have given myself a year to learn it and another six months to get it up to speed...probally will never play it at recommended tempo 175!! I found it fairly daunting to start with..but I like Monday Struggle and have listened to it a lot..this is why I brought SmartScore so I can hear it played a 60 bpm and I can learn the parts while reading the sheet...others I like are Shout for joy..Luxs boogie..Honky tonk train..Dive bommer..Roll em pete..Pinetops boogie..Boogie woogie stomp...Yancys special..Six wheel chaser.. Death ray boogie..Night train..Honky tonk train blues...Luxemboogie..and there are many others

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 10/03/10 06:44 PM

Hi b-52..Its a great feeling when it all comes together..I was reading a thread somewhere that a chap had been learning a short boogie piece for about 8 months and never thought he would get it together..woke up one morning ..went to the piano and just played straight through...so it just takes time ..and this is what happens with this type music.....Doug

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 10/04/10 02:28 AM

Hi Doug,

It seems that we like the same BWs... :-)

This mornign I started Seventh Blues (pag.84): it isn't difficult, but I need to strenghen my little finger, because sometimes it doesn't go where I tell it to go and it misses the Seventh.
In this first section of Chapter 3 (Seventh Chords) there are some good exercises and I'm going to do my homework.

Furthermore I'm doing what Tim Richards says in Appendix V and I combine tunes in the Key of C from different chapters and then I improvise.

So.. I'm a little busy... :-)
Posted by: Bruce Siegel

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 10/04/10 07:57 AM

actually Beginner's Boogie and its bass line (pag. 18) are the first hard steps for me, so -while practicing it- I'm also studying Sixth Blues (pag. 50) and its more confortable bass line.

Hey Boogieman,

That's one possibility. But you have another option, too. Stay with Beginner's Boogie, but substitute a different bass line from the appendix on page 244. You can do that for any of the lessons. Richards himself makes this suggestion somewhere in the book.

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 10/04/10 06:52 PM

Hi Bruce ..The appendix is a great way to find a bass line that can suit the need of a particular right hand riff..I have been using the Boogie woogie line on a certain put down..pick up I have recently learnt..I have another book with 40 bass lines published by Matthew Ball .. titled .. The art of boogie woogie...it comes with a CD ....He has another book called Blues Preludes..this has 10 blues pieces including ..cow cow blues...baby spann blues..great pieces to learn in the future..Doug

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 10/04/10 06:58 PM

Hi b-52 ..I used a lot 7th chords both major and dominant in blues music playing guitar..some other blues I played had 9 and 11 chording...had to play them or the vocal wouldn't sound right...Doug

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 10/05/10 01:36 AM

Hi Bruce and Doug,
thanks for your inputs!

I already use different bass lines, but at the moment my focus is on learning the right hand vocabulary on a steady and familiar left hand bass line.

I didn't know the books suggested by Doug: thanks, I'm going to give them a try in the future.
b-52

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 10/05/10 03:47 AM

The Seventh Blues (pag. 84-87) has so many ideas, assignment, improvisation tips I can't stop playing...
I need a rest! :-)
b-52

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 10/05/10 06:17 AM

hI B-52...The books by Matthew Ball ..He is also know as W.W.W. Boogie Woogie Kid and is on Utube...well worth a look...he has some blues as well as boogie..has a great feel for both types of music....Doug
Posted by: Steve Nixon

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 10/05/10 07:12 AM

Hi Bruce and Doug,
thanks for your inputs!

I already use different bass lines, but at the moment my focus is on learning the right hand vocabulary on a steady and familiar left hand bass line.

I didn't know the books suggested by Doug: thanks, I'm going to give them a try in the future.
b-52

Hi Boogieman,
Have you checked out Otis Spann's playing yet? He was and continues to be EXTREMELY influential to so many great blues piano players. Amazing runs, amazing feel, and impeccable swing feel and timing.
I would also check out Johnnie Johnson's boogie playing. Very simple but every note he played was just right.
Both of these guys have been a huge influence on my blues playing and teaching over the years.

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 10/05/10 02:09 PM

Hi Doug,
at Amazon I checked the books by Matthew Ball: they are good, but at the moment I am very busy with Improvising Blues Piano, as you can see... :-)

Hi Steve,
Otis Spann is one of the Blues Piano Players I love the best!
I visited your web site and I like it, but -as I just told Doug- now I am really in IBP and I do not feel like studying new Books or DVDs, even if I find them interesting.

Tonight is Blues For Sal time (pag. 88).
I play it with a left hand shuffle and I find it very easy, because it's the kind of Blues I already play.
So I'm just relaxing and having fun with all those triplets!

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 10/05/10 07:09 PM

Hi...Steve...Johnny Johnson is a great entertainer..if have a look through the Matthew Ball (Boogiewoogie Kid) Utube video's he has a few excellent blues numbers and one is a famous Otis Spann piece..it is an excellent rendition....and as J.J says... just having fun.....Doug

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 10/05/10 07:21 PM

Hi b-52.. I have brought the extra books as reference material ...have also just received.. The story of Boggie-Woggie (a left hand like god) very interesting history of Boogie ..where it all started...
Page 88 the triplets these are great for the dexterity of the fingers...they are great for fills just on one chord...have fun....Doug

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 10/06/10 12:19 AM

Hi Doug,

"I woke up this morning, the triplets all around my bed..." :-)

The Story of Boogie Woogie by Peter Silvester is a great book!
I found it second hand a few years ago, when the first edition was out of print. Now there is a second edition and maybe I'm going to buy it in the future.

Thanks for all your posts!
B-52
Posted by: Steve Nixon

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 10/06/10 04:06 AM

Hi Steve,
Otis Spann is one of the Blues Piano Players I love the best!
I visited your web site and I like it,

Yes I agree boogieman..Spann was great! Thank you for your kind words as well about my site! Very thoughtful of you. Good luck with your blues studies smile

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 10/09/10 02:31 AM

Hi Steve, and everybody,

I'm back to my piano and IBP.

After 3 days away from home, my fingers are a little stiff, so today I'm not going to study anything new: just a revision of the Blues I have already learnt and... I have almost forgotten!

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 10/10/10 12:50 AM

Ninth Blues (pag. 130) is a nice tune based on the ninth chords.

I have found it quite easy, because it's the kind of Blues I prefer: a solid shuffle and some appealing riffs, with a lot of triplets.

The tornaround and the ending are a little tricky, because I am not used to an open voicing 9th chord approached from a semitone above, but I'm practising quite hard so I hope to play it smoothly in a couple of hours.

The more I study Improvising Blues Piano by Tim Richards, the more I recommend it to everybody who really want to dig deep into the Blues!

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 10/11/10 05:46 PM

Hi b-52....Had a run through Ninth's Blues...has a great shuffle feel...the thing about this ... it dosent take long to get it happening.......Doug

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 10/12/10 01:28 AM

Hi Doug,

for the moment at the end of Ninth Blues I have decided to play a turnaround that's more familiar to me.
In this way I can play it smoothly.

Medium Jump (pag. 182) is another tune I'm really enjoying.
It's very close to Jump Shuffle (pag. 53) and I do love both of them.
The second chorus keeps my Right Hand quite busy trying to get that jumping feeling, so I am not able to improvise yet.

Take care.
b-52

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 10/12/10 07:16 AM

Hi b-52 ... Just being able to string a few riffs from different pieces together ,gives satisfaction....Dont worry about the improvising as it will come in time when you get proficient with riffs that you are stringing together..I even use riffs out of Monday Struggle that I'm learning to make up 12 bar runs....Doug

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 10/13/10 08:31 AM

Hi Doug and everybody,

After running through some more advanced tunes in C, now I'm back to Beginner's Boogie (pag. 18), the first tricky piece in IBP.

This time the LH Bass Line looks easier and I hope to master this tune before the end of the day.

Tomorrow I'm going to improvise, using riffs out of some other tunes I like.

Well, IBP keeps me busy! :-)
Posted by: Bullitt

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 10/13/10 09:07 AM

Good to see you enjoying the book. As a self starter this was really the book that made me progress in my playing. Have been away from piano playing for a while and now starting to get back into it. I think I'm a little over halfway through the book. Been jumping a little back and forth. Sometimes I've gone back to earlier pieces to see if I missed something. For me I had enough just learing the songs and get coordinated in the beginning. As I've progressed through the book and my playing improved I started go back to earlier pieces and then try to improvise.

Just order a book called Discovering Rock/Pop piano. It's from the same publisher as IBP, but not by Tim Richards. Just hoping it is as good as IBP.

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 10/14/10 11:08 AM

Hi Bullit,

thanks for your post.
I'm sure your coming back to IBP is going to improve your piano playing.

As you says,in the beginning it's enough to learn the songs and get coordinated.
Now I can improvise only over a few tunes, whilst with other tunes I am too much busy to keep togheter the left and the right hand... :-)

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 10/19/10 01:04 AM

My first tune in the Key of G is Blues With Pick-Ups (pag. 66) and I love it.

The only tricky point is the fingering 2345 in the passage to D6, but practise makes perfect! :-)

After Blues With Pick-Ups I'm going to move to the other tunes in G suggested by Tim Richards in the Appendix V: Developing a Vocabulary.

Regarding the 3 left hand patterns, I'm using only the Barrelhouse LH and the LH Shuffle, because at the moment the Jimmy Yancey style bass line is too difficult for me.

Now let me go back to my piano! :-)

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 10/19/10 11:08 PM

Hi b-52 ..Have been at P 96 Blues in Thirds..Key G ..it uses the Yancy Special left hand ..it takes time to get the timing right..I use the metronome and count out loud..still just cant sit down and play straight off....but it will help when I attempt to learn the Yancy Special..still need to acquire a proper transcription of the sheet music.....Doug

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 10/21/10 02:51 AM

Hi Doug,
thank you for supporting my efforts! :-)

Barrelhouse Blues (pag.63) and Blues with Pick-ups (pag.66) are under my belt (at least... I hope so!) and today I'll give a try to Blues in Thirds, but against the Shuffle bass lines.

I do love the Yancey's left hand, but at the moment the coordination LH/RH is too much for me, so I prefer to focus on the right hand against a solid left hand pattern.

I hope you will be able to acquire a good transcription of The Yancey Special.
Good Luck! :-)

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 10/21/10 07:26 AM

Hi b-52 ..There is a site in Germany that has the correct transcription...but its a bit expensive for me ..its priced at 25 euros and works out to be $35 plus postage to Aust..its 4 times the price Colin Davey transcriptions are..the site is www boogie-online.npage.de..I have a copy but its not a full sheet music and its only 3 pages and not correct...The Yancy left riff takes a little getting use to, as it is a timing thing..I still struggle with it when I start using it...Theres nothing wrong with using the solid Shuffle...I use it a lot when learning something new...can concentrate more on the right hand....keep at it..Doug

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 10/21/10 11:51 AM

Hi Doug,
thanks for the boogie-on-line link.

I didn't know it: the transcriptions look good, so I do hope to be able to use it in the future! :-)
b-52

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 10/25/10 06:11 PM

Hi b-52..P96. Blues in Thirds ..have still been playing this to get Yancey Special left hand timing...I have acquired a copy of "Yancey Special" by Meade Lux Lewis May 18, 1942...it has 6 pages 8 chorus..an looking forward to tinkering around with it in the future...Doug

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 10/28/10 02:56 AM

In the end Blues in Thirds is under my belt! :-)

Now I can play it with the Jimmy Yancey bass line and I do like it.

I have just changed the triplets in measures 9 and 10 with two eight notes, because triplets against that bass lines are a little to difficult.

To me J. Yancey is one of the best Blues Piano players and his tunes give me great emotions.

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 10/30/10 04:50 AM

I started this new topic because two old topics about IBP were dead and gone.

Anyway, here are the links:

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthrea...ite_id/1#import

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1103123/1.html

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 10/31/10 02:49 AM

Hi boogieman-52..Thanks for posting the links...very intresting...if any body is following the thread from the links ..would love to hear how your doing..its beginners to intermediate that need backup from others at the same stage of playing to help each other with support...Doug

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/01/10 07:51 PM

Hi...Bluebery Hill part 1 ..this is the backing for the melody or a singer.It uses the Yancey Special left hand ..which in its self is not hard to play ..BUT..trying to play it in time smoothly with triads played in triplets..takes a little time to get left hand to stay coordinated with the right vamping at 16 to the bar..once I have played it a couple of times it sinks in..this type of music you have to play every day or it soon leaves the brain and you have to look it up again in the music book..Doug
Posted by: WalkFar

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/01/10 09:14 PM

I am a beginner enjoying working with Tim Richards' Improvising Blues Piano and I have been reading this thread with interest. I agree with Bruce Siegel in that I I found that Beginner's Boogie (p.18) pretty tough so early one. I have since been moving around a bit more in the book.

PIeces I am spending the most time on now:
Blue Third Blues (p. 22)
Blueberry Hill (p. 28)
On-Off Boogie (p. 37)
Sixth Blues Triplet Feel (p. 50)

Lately I have been trying to mix and match right and left hands and making my first steps toward right-hand improvisation. Question here - What goes through your mind when you are improvising? What is your mindset?

Off topic. Are Tim Richards' Exploring Jazz Piano two volumes as highly regarded as Improvising Blues Piano?

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/02/10 01:22 AM

Hi...Bluebery Hill part 1 ..this is the backing for the melody or a singer.It uses the Yancey Special left hand ..which in its self is not hard to play ..BUT..trying to play it in time smoothly with triads played in triplets..takes a little time to get left hand to stay coordinated with the right vamping at 16 to the bar..once I have played it a couple of times it sinks in..this type of music you have to play every day or it soon leaves the brain and you have to look it up again in the music book..Doug

That's the reason why I have not tried Blueberry Hill part 1 yet!
The bass line is not difficult... The triplets are not difficult... But I find the LH and RH veeery difficult!
I do agree with you: one has to play this kind of music each and every day and... be very patient.

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/02/10 01:50 AM

Hi Walkfar,
welcome aboard!

Now I'm working the most time on:
Beginner's Boogie (p.18)
Jump Shuffle (p. 53) + Medium Jump (p. 182)
Barrelhouse Blues (p. 63) + Blues With Pick-ups (p. 66)
Blues in Thirds (p. 96)
Ninth Blues (p. 130)

I try to mix and match RH and LH, but I find easier to improvise on a tune I already have under my belt as it's written.

What does go through my mind when I am improvising?
Well, I would say there is a range that goes from:
1) being the good student who tries to think what he has to do and...
2) forgetting everything and just play.
Stage 2 is much more interesting, but sometimes I crash very soon! :-)

Your last question.
Yes, Tim Richards' Exploring Jazz Piano two volumes are highy regarded.
They are very similar to IBP, but are considered a little more difficult (Grade 4 is required, instead of Grade 3).

Anyway, it seems that you can jump here and there as you can in IBP.

I have not bought them because IBP keeps me very busy and furthermore it is considered an introduction to Exploring jazz Piano.

Bye
b-52

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/02/10 04:30 AM

Hi Walkfar..Welcome ..I have found it takes a while for improvisation to set in..I mostly just change certain riffs or melody lines..the best way to start I've found is to mix and rematch riffs and melody lines from other pieces you are learning...most of it is 8 to the bar so most of it will fit...some pieces that have swing probally wont go but it doesn't take much to work this out..When Tim is asking you to improvise you have to remember he is a master and it come naturally to him....it takes many years of playing and listing to other musicians to comprehend whats going on..I would just concentrate on learning whats printed in the book and get to playing it smoothly..
I have the 2 Tim Richards Jazz books as I play a few standards as well..they are very well set out and have a lot of great standards to learn...They are great reference books...Doug

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/02/10 04:50 AM

Hi boogieman52..The great thing about the book is you can jump to anywhere you please..there is no assumed manner of level you have to follow..
Have you watched Luckyluca play Hard stage blues on Utube..he's 15 and the performance was this year in Sweden..Amazing.. he has been uploading to Utube since he was 11 ..you can see his progress..

The Tim Richards Jazz books are used the same way..just jump to where you want to try things out..there easy to follow as well....Doug
Posted by: cruiser

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/02/10 03:00 PM

After a couple of false starts with the highly regarded IBP, I'm encouraged to give it another go after following this thread for a while. Patience is my problem!

I was in touch with Tim Richards some weeks ago and he told me that he did not recommend starting with the Jazz books (Not even the first one) until one has mastered the foundation work in IBP - especially if one is only just beginning to learn how to improvise over chord structures. He said to bear in mind that there's a large overlap between Blues and Jazz and that it's kind of artificial to put them in separate categories. That's pretty solid advice I think.

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/02/10 04:46 PM

Hi boogieman52..
Have you watched Luckyluca play Hard stage blues on Utube..he's 15 and the performance was this year in Sweden..Amazing.. he has been uploading to Utube since he was 11 ..you can see his progress..

Thanks, Doug.
I already knew Luckyluca99 from German: he's awsome!
Here is the link to his new web site: http://www.piano99.de/home_EN.htm

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/02/10 08:43 PM

Hi boogieman52..The interest in boogie and blues piano by young European piano players is amazing..hope it spreads through out the world..a lot of them that play boogie and blues are classically trained..just shows there is more to life than classical music ??

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/03/10 02:04 AM

Originally Posted By: cruiser
After a couple of false starts with the highly regarded IBP, I'm encouraged to give it another go after following this thread for a while. Patience is my problem!

Hi cruiser,
I'm sure this time is the right time! :-)
And I'm happy that following this thread for a while has given you an input to give another go to this wonderful book.
It would be great to create a large group of students from different parts of the world and share our experiences!
Regards.
b-52

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/03/10 06:10 AM

Hi cruiser,
I'm sure this time is the right time! :-)
And I'm happy that following this thread for a while has given you an input to give another go to this wonderful book.
It would be great to create a large group of students from different parts of the world and share our experiences!
Regards.
b-52

Thanks for your encouragement bm52. I'm making a fresh start with IBP today and will post my progress smile

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/03/10 04:55 PM

Today is Jimmie Yancey bass line day. :-)

In fact I'm practising Blue Third Blues (p. 22, but transposed from C to G) + Five Fingers Blues (p. 31) + Blues in Thirds (p. 96): all of them played one after the other in the key of G and against the Jimmie Yancey LH.

The three melodies are very easy, but the LH gives them a feeling I do love.

I'm very happy because a couple of weeks ago I found very difficult to coordinate the bouncing LH and the RH triplets in Blue Third Blues, but now everything goes smoothly.

As they say: practice makes perfect! :-))))

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/03/10 06:01 PM

I've also been working on "Blue Third Blues" today and had the same problem with the triplets against the Yancey bass. Came together after a while though. My improvising isn't very adventurous yet! smile

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/03/10 06:50 PM

Hi boogieman52....cruiser...I have found it take several weeks to get a piece playing smoothly...and if you dont keep playing it ...the smoothness drops of very quickly with this type of music...Blue Third Blues ..are you using a metronome..this will help with the triplets....keep at it as it will be very rewarding when can play it proficiently.....Doug

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/04/10 01:22 PM

..are you using a metronome..this will help with the triplets....keep at it as it will be very rewarding when can play it proficiently.....Doug

You are right, Doug.
A metronome is very helpful with the triplets.

I also find very helpful to study the score and check very carefully each note in the RH triplets against the LH bass line: in other words, I try to train my mind before sitting at the piano.

It may seems silly, but this training, a metronome and tons of patience are the right way to enjoy this wonderful music. :-)
b-52

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/04/10 06:23 PM

Hi boogieman52....Definitaly not silly...Patience is the essence to overcome this music...one must be confident also want play it and have love for it....I always read it through and sing it in my head before playing..When watching experienced players of this music you can see the confidence when playing...they look around and smile at the camera..some of the good younger players have been playing this type for at least 3 years...with other piano training proir to learning blues or boogie....Doug

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/05/10 01:37 AM

Tim Richards is going to teach at the Jazz Piano Summer School in London.

You may want to check this link: http://www.timrichards.ndo.co.uk/PremisesJazzPianoWeek.html

It's really a pity it's not a Blues School...

I don't know if Tim is going to teach again at the Euro Blues Week (http://www.euroblues.co.uk/index.htm), as he did last year: http://www.euroblues.co.uk/bluesweek2010.htm

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/05/10 06:34 AM

Now that's a course I'd love to attend b-52, although my knowledge of the pre-requisite chords (as specified in the link) falls somewhat short! I've got lots of work to do.

From what I've seen, there is a blues element to the course.

My best to all studying IBP!
Mike

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/05/10 07:46 AM

I'm at the stage where I faltered the last time I attempted IBP.

Trill Blues (page 35) is too much for my weak 5th finger at the moment and so I'll miss this piece out for now whilst continuing to practice the trills.

There is so much memorizing, improvising, mixing and matching etc. to be done that I'm starting to confuse myself again! There's also the "Developing a vocabulary" to bare in mind.

I guess it's a case of persevering at this stage. As I wrote earlier, patience is my problem

I think I'll consolidate what I've learned so far and try to memorize the pieces I've covered whilst giving more effort to transposing into the "basic" keys (C, G, F, D) and spend more time improvising.

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/05/10 08:05 AM

Out of interest, here's a video of a friend of mine playing a great Boogie Woogie version of "Just a closer walk with thee" (There's a version in IBP). He started playing about 3 years ago, can't read music and doesn't have an extensive knowledge of harmony. He's learned everything from YouTube videos that he's downloaded and slowed down in order to copy what he sees. In the meantime he's built a great vocabulary of licks and chord accompaniments and he's a great improviser.

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/05/10 08:17 AM

Hi...Mike...Dont try to do to much as it will fry your brain...keep down to a couple and try and get them smooth first..I was trying to much to start with and it stops you from progressing ..when you are only doing a couple of pieces you are more likely to get your coordination with left and right keeping in time with each other..just play it really slow and in the next few days you will find you will automatically start playing it a bit quicker ..use the CD ..listen to the piece over and over..if your CD played has a loop timer for tracks use it so you dont have to recall the track ..The thing about this music is.. it must be in your head...Keep at it ..Doug

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/05/10 08:37 AM

Thanks for the words of advice and encouragement Doug. I'm determined not to give up this time!

I think "this music must be in your head" is particularly important. As someone who's "come over" from the classics, I need to develop a freedom and ability to "play in the moment". That reminds me, I must dig out Kenny Werner's excellent book "Effortless Mastery".

Today I'm working on "On-off Boogie" with that great new lick (or turn-around?) in bar 10.

Mike

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/05/10 10:49 AM

Mike...Dont try to do to much as it will fry your brain...keep down to a couple and try and get them smooth first..(...) when you are only doing a couple of pieces you are more likely to get your coordination with left and right keeping in time with each other..just play it really slow and in the next few days you will find you will automatically start playing it a bit quicker ..(...) The thing about this music is.. it must be in your head...Keep at it ..Doug

I do agree.
A book like IBP has so many tunes, assignements, tips etc. that at the beginning I was tempted to do everything in a short time... :-)

Then I learned to take my time and slow down.
So now I love to pick up a tune and patiently work on it, just for the pleasure to hear a certain line, improvise a couple of bars and so on.

Today I'm back to Barrelhouse Blues, improvising as suggested by Tim Richards, throwing some lines from other Blues and...let's see what happens! :-)

b52

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/05/10 11:18 AM

Out of interest, here's a video of a friend of mine playing a great Boogie Woogie version of "Just a closer walk with thee" (There's a version in IBP). He started playing about 3 years ago, can't read music and doesn't have an extensive knowledge of harmony. He's learned everything from YouTube videos that he's downloaded and slowed down in order to copy what he sees. In the meantime he's built a great vocabulary of licks and chord accompaniments and he's a great improviser.

Great video. Thanks for sharing!
Your friend has the right feeling to play Blues and Boogie Woogie.
Bravo!!!

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/06/10 01:32 AM

Have you watched Luckyluca play Hard stage blues on Utube..he's 15 and the performance was this year in Sweden..Amazing.. he has been uploading to Utube since he was 11 ..you can see his progress..Doug

Hi Doug, in my Blog Boogieworld (in Italian... sorry... :-))) I have embedded a couple of Luckyluca/Luca Sestak's Videos.
You may want to check this link: http://boogieworld.myblog.it/

The first time I saw him on You tube I was very impressed and since then he has improved a lot.
I hope to see him live, here in Europe.

A nice weekend to everybody! :-)

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/06/10 05:14 AM

Hi boogieman52..I have been to your site already..looks like you and you partner have a great time around the dances..I was doing the same 10 years ago...I'm still into Rockabilly ..played lead guitar in bands for years....tend to slow down a bit as you get older......Doug

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/07/10 07:29 AM

Hi b-52 and Doug (And anyone else following IBP).

How about we try linking to some recordings of our efforts so far (on Box.net or similar)? This might give our progress added impetus as well as perhaps focusing our efforts more. Doesn't have to be anything fancy at this stage! What do you think?
Mike

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/07/10 07:49 AM

Hi b-52 and Doug (And anyone else following IBP).How about we try linking to some recordings of our efforts so far (on Box.net or similar)? This might give our progress added impetus as well as perhaps focusing our efforts more. Doesn't have to be anything fancy at this stage! What do you think?
Mike

Hi Mike/cruiser,
great idea!

How can it be organized?
B-52

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/07/10 07:54 AM

Hi boogieman52..I have been to your site already..looks like you and you partner have a great time around the dances..I was doing the same 10 years ago...I'm still into Rockabilly ..played lead guitar in bands for years....tend to slow down a bit as you get older......Doug

Hi doug,
thank you for visiting my site.

Yes, my wife and I have a great time dancing to the kind of Music I (would...) like to play.... :-)

Go back to the dancefloor... it's so exciting to be there... among other dancers... a good band on the stage!

In the beginning Boogie Woogie was music for dancers and every time we go to the dance floor we keep alive that tradition!
b-52

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/07/10 11:59 AM

Thanks for posting the link to your site, which includes the YouTube video of the Luca Sestak version of Boogie Woogie Stomp. I believe that this is a variation of Pinetop's Boogie Woogie.

This brings me back to my favorite version of Pinetop's Boogie Woogie, by LIttle Brother Montgomery. A 1966 TV broadcast can be seen on YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku-gfv8oWdY (Little Brother Montgomery - Pinetops Boogie. (1966)) It can also be heard on the Smithsonian Folkways CD "Classic Piano Blues." This version seems a bit slower than than most versions. I love watching LIttle Brother Montgomery playing.

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/07/10 12:55 PM

Hi b-52 and Doug (And anyone else following IBP).How about we try linking to some recordings of our efforts so far (on Box.net or similar)? This might give our progress added impetus as well as perhaps focusing our efforts more. Doesn't have to be anything fancy at this stage! What do you think?
Mike

Hi Mike/cruiser,
great idea!

How can it be organized?B-52

Well b-52, I wasn't thinking of anything really structured other than to suggest that we post something which represents our current level of achievement, no matter how "basic".

As for myself, I intend to work through the book as methodically as I can and, although I'm "dipping my toes" into later chapters, I really want to internalize (To use Tim's own word) as much as possible from each chapter in sequence. I firmly believe that this approach will be of most benefit in building a solid foundation in Blues, Boogie and Jazz. As Tim also says, this doesn't mean that we have to master every piece in each chapter before progressing. However I believe it's important to have a good grip of the harmonic and other theoretical principles (Not to mention the improvisation practice!) in each chapter before moving on. A quick glance at some of the work to come will will confirm the need for this, I think. The theory at each level can be practiced with the easier pieces in each chapter of course, returning later to the more difficult work.

Although I've got to the end of chapter 1, I'm by no means satisfied that I've "internalized" as much as I need to before progressing to chapter 2. I particularly want to spend more time transposing and improvising before moving on. The tools at our disposal in chapter 1 are of necessity limited, but it doesn't matter - let's just do the best we can and encourage each other. As we progress, and our armoury get's stronger, I'm sure we'll be pleasantly surprised by our progress.

I suggest that we post something from each chapter in turn, but this of course is only a suggestion. Anyone can post anything they like, or nothing at all - that's o.k. too smile I'll try and post something within the next day or so.

There's plenty of information elsewhere in the forums on how to record and upload mp3 files to hosting sites, if anyone is unfamiliar with the process.

I'm currently studying "Blues for Booker" - tricky! I don't think I'll be recording this piece for a while!

Mike

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/07/10 05:23 PM

Hi Mike...I had been thinking along the same line and had created an account with Box last week...just a matter of setting up a piece of software to record in mp3 from the piano...If you do post your level of effort so far... be aware there are people out there, that have no idea what effort you might have put in to be able to play the piece even at the lowest level..criticism is good and it can also be very harmful for the student to continue with their studies...if you not comfortable posting.. then PM your work to someone who is active on the thread who you would feel would be objective ..to me any effort is worth complements and support.....Doug

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/07/10 05:33 PM

Hi Walkfar...There are a lot of great exponents of blues a nd boogie on Utube...one I like is Matthew Ball (boogiewoogiekid) he plays at a very measured speed you can hear clean notes...well worth a view..Doug

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/07/10 05:36 PM

Hi boogieman52 ... Theres no doubt that boogie is a great form of music to dance to...great for fitness as well..Doug

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/08/10 01:02 AM

[quote=WalkFar]This brings me back to my favorite version of Pinetop's Boogie Woogie, by LIttle Brother Montgomery. (...) It can also be heard on the Smithsonian Folkways CD "Classic Piano Blues." This version seems a bit slower than most versions. /quote]

Hi Walkfar!
What a coincidence: Classic Piano Blues -one of my favourite CDs- is in my CD player right now. I love those BWs played slower than they are played nowadays.

You are right about Boogie Woogie Stomp: it is the Pinetop's Boogie Woogie version by Albert Ammons, who added some more choruses.

This week I'm going to start Pinetop's Boogie Woogie (p.150: at the moment my major goal! :-)
b-52

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/08/10 02:06 AM

Hi Mike...I had been thinking along the same line and had created an account with Box last week...just a matter of setting up a piece of software to record in mp3 from the piano...If you do post your level of effort so far... be aware there are people out there, that have no idea what effort you might have put in to be able to play the piece even at the lowest level..criticism is good and it can also be very harmful for the student to continue with their studies...if you not comfortable posting.. then PM your work to someone who is active on the thread who you would feel would be objective ..to me any effort is worth complements and support.....Doug

Hi Doug and thanks for your comments. I agree with you 100%. Maybe, as you suggest, it would be better to send each other our recordings via PM. On the other hand, we can continue as we are right now and post something in the member's recordings forum, when we've completed the book smile

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/08/10 03:29 AM

Hi Doug and thanks for your comments. I agree with you 100%. Maybe, as you suggest, it would be better to send each other our recordings via PM. On the other hand, we can continue as we are right now and post something in the member's recordings forum, when we've completed the book smile

Hi Doug and Mike.
I do agree with both of you.
Probably in this early stage it's better to keep our sharing a little more intimate... :-)
b-52

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/09/10 12:03 AM

Hi Walkfar...There are a lot of great exponents of blues a nd boogie on Utube...one I like is Matthew Ball (boogiewoogiekid) he plays at a very measured speed you can hear clean notes...well worth a view..Doug

For those who don't know Matthew Ball, here is his channel on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Boogiewoogiekid?blend=2&ob=1

Enjoy! :-)
b-52

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/09/10 02:45 AM

Hi boogieman52..Thanks for posting the link...I didn't want to push my agenda as to who I like playing boogie and blues .... there is a lot of young talent in Europe as well.... this is your forum on TRB and learning to play blues....Matthew Ball is also a very competent blues player ..just doesn't play it but feels it..hope the link connects some people to watch him play both Blues and Boogie......you wont be dissapointed....Doug
Posted by: Manachi

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/09/10 06:14 PM

Hey all,

I've been going through this book with my piano teacher for about 18 months now on & off. He hasn't taken me through page by page, but rather has taken important pieces & areas from it to focus on. I think this book is fantastic, and as we've done new standards & pieces outside the book, very often I'll get the feeling of 'the penny dropping' as I relate something explained earlier in the book to other pieces. I really like it.

I'm actually VERY keen to get onto the jazz book, but now that I've read a number of people say to complete the blues book before moving onto the jazz one (which is what my teacher also says) I'll do just that...

I have to say though, that like ALL textbooks of this style, I think I'd find it difficult, if not entirely impossible to work through it from beginning to end on my own. I need a teacher there. I think this is a better way to learn, but more fundamentally I have just never had the patience to be able to work through a book like that end to end. I know a lot of people feel the same. I have a number of jazz books, a few highly regarded, but I was never able to persist through them until I started seeing a teacher. So my 2c is simply that if you can work through it with a teacher, give it a shot - you might find it a lot easier. I for one admire anyone who is able to actually go through the books on their own and get to the end - but don't be surprised, or feel defeated if you can't smile

Regards,
Manachi

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/10/10 12:15 AM

Hi Manachi .. It would be unusual for someone to go through this book from start to finish in that order as some of the pieces don't appeal...this is probally a reason that Tim says to play music that appeals to your hearing .. thus jump to different parts of the book you can cope with...This type of music requires confidence and once you have a piece sussed out ..it does start to fall into place..I use it as a reference to other pieces I learn and play...I steal right hand riffs and left hand from it to make up my own pieces..
If a teacher helps you ...and you can afford it..thats the way to go...especially if they are interested in what you want to learn and play....I have the two Tim Richards Jazz books they are excellent as I play a few standards and I also use them as reference books..they have helped me with comping left chords..as I like the way Erroll Garner plays...useing his left hand like a guitar strumming chords...Hope you stay with us on our quest to become good blues players......Doug
Posted by: Manachi

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/10/10 12:32 AM

Hey dissyfingers,

I'm glad to hear it's not just me that finds it difficult to digest a textbook like this straight through from beginning to end smile (goes for any textbook in my experience) To go a bit off topic, I also have the book "Jazz Piano" by Mark Levine after having it recommended on this forum (amongst other places) and I still haven't got around to properly going through that. Even though it seems to be highly praised, so far I've found Tim Richard's books easier to comprehend.

dissyfingers, out of interest, did you find that you needed to 'internalise' most of the Blues book before going into Tim Richard's Jazz books? Or did you have a go at diving into the jazz books early?

To be honest I actually veered off the textbook for some time and went through some standards from real/fake books with my teacher, and while that has been great fun, and I gained a lot from it, I'm wanting to come back and fill in the gaps from this book that I missed, and hopefully get onto the jazz book soon too smile

Glad to have found this thread btw. Good one!

Cheers

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/10/10 12:56 AM

Hi...Hey...Manachi...The good thing about blues and boogie is way you can adapt it into even the real/fake books..a typical example is Swanee River... use a left hand shuffle with it and it becomes the Swanee River Boogie..Theres a lot of simple 3 chord songs which can be adapted to this...its all about having some fun without getting to serious about it...I don't have any problem with the jazz books as I understand the theory of how scales are made up and chords 9-11-13th are used ...one of my favorite chords is a major 7th ..sometimes it pays to give the texts away for a couple of weeks and just concentrate on playing.......Doug

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/10/10 02:35 AM

Originally Posted By: Manachi
I have just never had the patience to be able to work through a book like that end to end. I know a lot of people feel the same. I have a number of jazz books, a few highly regarded, but I was never able to persist through them until I started seeing a teacher. Manachi

Welcome Manachi! :-)
I have just never had the patience to be able to work with a teacher! :-)
6 months were enough: all that Hanon... the posture... the pink this way, not that way... :-))))

So I prefer to struggle against IBP all by myself, rather than practice things I do not love, but I understand people who are able to study with a teacher, in particular if they don't play only Blues. And I probably do envy them a little... :-)

Regards! :-)
b-52

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/10/10 02:43 AM

...its all about having some fun without getting to serious about it. Doug

That's the main point, Doug.

Sometimes the Blues is about sufferance, but it doesn't have to be a cause of sufferance.

So when I'm getting too serious about IBP, I stop and do something else.
In this way, when I come back to the piano and IBP I feel better and I start playing with a new energy!

Keep on posting, Folks! :-)
b-52

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/10/10 02:49 AM

Hi...boogieman52......I'm with you ..I'll struggle along the same as you...once I have found some mp3 software to load the piano into.. I'll start sharing with others with my progress on the thread..
It's very hard to find a teacher who is completely structured to abide with what you want to learn and not try to steer you into another direction...I'm happy just plodding along..having fun and this great TRB thread to talking to you guys.....Doug

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/10/10 02:52 AM

Hi Manachi, good to have another enthusiast on board!

I agree wholeheartedly with what you've written about the advantage of having a teacher to work with, even with great "guided" books like IBP and Tim's Jazz books.

I'm a recent convert to Blues/Jazz having studied classical piano with a teacher for the last five years. I live in Germany (Originally from Wales) and if I could find a Jazz teacher here who would work with me through Tim's books as well as - importantly! - whose English language skills were up to it, then this is the route I would take too.

You're right, it takes a lot of focused discipline to work alone, even with great books like Tim's. As I posted earlier, I've already had a couple of "false starts" with IBP, at the time lacking the commitment to persevere. Now that I've put the classics on the back burner I'm hoping this will change.

Another problem for me - and it is a problem! - is that I tend to want to do things "by the numbers" if you understand me. Instead of a more flexible approach, which I think Doug (dissyfingers) and b-52 adopt, I tend to want to plow through all the material in order, whether I actually enjoy all the pieces or not. On the other hand there are valuable lessons to be learned at all stages in IBP, none of which I want to miss. As I work through IBP this time I'm trying really hard to be more flexible in my approach.

As you, Manachi, and Doug have suggested, I also think it's important not to take the blinkered approach with IBP and study only this excellent book for what could be a very long time. I think this would be a recipe for giving up again. In parallel with my IBP studies I would like to be able to learn some Blues/Jazz pieces worthy of performance, so that my enthusiasm is maintained. Bearing in mind that I'm not a beginner at the piano, I could do with some help here smile

EDIT: Great replies from Doug and b-52!

Mike

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/11/10 12:16 AM

Three years ago I bough my first piano because I wanted to play Pinetop's Boogie Woogie...

I got Colin Davey's transcription (+ his great Boogie Woogie book) and of course... I failed! :-)

So I bought almost all the Books, CDs, DVDs, internet lessons available and I became a Golden Member of a good internet site, but...

I was feeling that all those bass lines, blues scales and tons of riffs lacked a good harmonic approach.

So one year ago I went to a piano teacher -a good one, who could play some great Blues- but I already told you how I had to study and practice a lot of things that (at age 57) I didn't think to have the time to learn... :-)

Then I saw Tim Richards' Improvising Blues Piano. At first glance I told myself "No, not another book... Furthermore it's to difficult for you, poor guy without a classical training...!"

But last month I could not resist, I got it and... my Blues life has canged! :-)

Of course sometimes I go back to other sources I have, but Tim Richards' book has almost everything I need at the moment.

Included a Pinetop's Boogie Woogie excerpt that now I'm studying and (maybe...) learning!

And I feel a small part of that great Blues and BW tradition I have loved all my life!

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/11/10 12:33 AM

Hi boogieman52...Sometimes you have to bite the bullet and take charge of your life on your own terms ...and you will succeed at what your doing ..even though it may take a little longer to achieve your goal..This is a great forum to help each other even if it only gets you try playing only simple pieces ..it will give a sense of achivement..Pinetops Boogie is achievable and its just about plodding along at your own pace.....Doug

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/11/10 04:48 AM

Great posts Doug and b-52!

You know what? I'm going to loosen up a bit, forget the teacher and go along for the IBP ride with you guys.

"Pinetops Boogie Woogie" (THE original Boogie Woogie) is one of my favourites too, along with "Just a closer walk with thee" (Blues and Boogie versions).

I'm going to spend some time on "Closer walk" and maybe post a recording later.
Mike

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/12/10 01:04 AM

Thank you Doug and Mike for appreciating this Topic!

Glad to hear that you Mike are going to loosen up a bit: yeahhh... go along with this IBP ride with all of us! :-)

I am very excited to study Pinetop's BW: it's going quite well and I like to integrate the IBP excerpt with some bars from the Colin Davey's transcription.

Another transcription is available here http://boogie-online.npage.de/ but Colin Davey has done a good job, so I don't think to need it.

Well, now let me go back to my piano and the Pinetop's climbdown!

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/12/10 06:58 PM

Hi boogieman52...Having a go at Pinetops boogie is a challenge that will a feather in your cap once achieved
..I have been learning Albert Ammons ..Monday Struggle ( April 16 1939 version)for four months and can play the first 3 pages..out 10...there are 6 solo patterns through out the piece and the rest is reoccurring ups and downs..Its just a matter of keeping at it....I also use Smartscore ..Scan the sheet of music and it will convert it into midi ..It also allows me slow down to 30 bpm and I can loop 4 bars to repeat so I can play along at this speed and learn those bars..anything to help overcome this music...It will give me great satisfaction when I can sit down at the keyboard and play it right through..still a year away !!..Doug

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/12/10 07:08 PM

Hi cruiser....Great to hear you are going to take a more layed back approach..I feel if one is relaxed you will defiantly achieve more..I was very ill for part of my life and found meditation and yoga got me through ..Life is far to short not to be enjoying something you want to achieve and enjoy..you can do it...Doug

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/13/10 03:15 AM

Hi cruiser....Great to hear you are going to take a more layed back approach..I feel if one is relaxed you will defiantly achieve more..I was very ill for part of my life and found meditation and yoga got me through ..Life is far to short not to be enjoying something you want to achieve and enjoy..you can do it...Doug

Wise words indeed, Doug... thank you!

Yes, as I fast approach my 60th birthday in January next, I'm very conscious of life's fragility and impermanence - we're just dust in the wind of eternity, here for a fleeting moment, then gone.

Interestingly my wife and I are also into Yoga as one of the ways we try to make the most of our lives whilst also trying to cope with the madness in this world of ours.

You know, one of the reasons I've stepped back from the Classics and the lessons I was having is that, most of the time, I simply wasn't enjoying it! I always seemed to be struggling and putting myself under pressure to master the next piece, which was usually too difficult for me anyway. Curiously, I feel like a weight has been lifted from my shoulders.

My wife always says "The path unfolds as we walk it". I'm glad that my path has led me in a new musical - and spiritual! - direction towards the freedom (In improvisation) and joy of Blues, Boogie and Jazz.

My best to you, b-52 and all IBP-ers
Mike

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/13/10 03:38 AM

Dear Doug and Mike,

your words make me so happy.

Here we are, from different parts of the world, different stories, different cultural backgrounds... and we share the same feelings!

It's really a pity that English is not my first language, because I would like to tell you better what I'm feeling now.
But I'm not sad, because I know you can understand me.

So let's play this wonderful, soulful and happy (yes... happy) Music and if it takes more than a year to learn a tune we love... well, that's fine! :-)

My best to you and -as Mike says- all IBP-ers!
b-52 Adalberto

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/13/10 04:30 AM

Hi boogieman52..&..cruiser...I have had a quiet afternoon just listing to Tim's CD that comes with the book ..played it through 2 times with the book in hand and just relaxed listing to all the pieces..I have a theater room with great seating and its easy to relax and listen to it through the sound system..Tim has done a great job of this book and if followed anybody should be able to play some great blues or boogie if you desire to follow his instructions..Sometimes you have to revise the way your trying to approach things..but still take it easy ...I tend to want to learn to much.. mainly r/h riffs..and after a few days its slips to one side while you are concentrating on the major pieces you are trying to master....Doug

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/13/10 04:41 AM

Hi boogieman52...Nothing wrong with your English..and expressing your feelings about what you are achieving is great...you will get only get support and encouragement from me right through the thread while its active ....keep at it .. Doug

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/13/10 06:33 AM

Hi boogieman52...Nothing wrong with your English..and expressing your feelings about what you are achieving is great...you will get only get support and encouragement from me right through the thread while its active ....keep at it .. Doug

+1 from me b-52.

I think your English is great and that you express yourself more than adequately, if I may say so. Great to have and Doug as "cyber friends"!

ok, back to IBP for me smile

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/14/10 12:29 AM

Thank you, Mike and Doug!

Back to IBP:
I don't find each single bar in Pinetop's BW very difficult, but it's difficult to put the tune together!

I play the first 6 bars (tremolo) from the Colin Davey's transcription, then the last 6 bars of the chorus according to Tim Richards.

In the second chorus I play the nice riff with all those grace notes (Chorus F in the original Pinetop's BW by Davey) + again the last 6 bars by Tim.

At this point I play all the IBP excerpt, but when I come to the climbdown I'm so excited that my fingers do the mess around... Well, actually this is not the mess around suggested by Pinetop Smith in his spoken lyrics! ;-)))

This morning I feel like playing some easier tune, so I'm back to Sixth Blues and I really enjoy to play it and improvise.

P.S. Yesterday I got my brand new Clavinova CLP 370PE and now I have to live up to it!
b-52

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/14/10 03:28 AM

Hi boogiemman52..Congraulations on your new piano..very nice!!..I think you are going the right way about how you are going to attack Pinetops boogie..you will have a unique start and this is the way to go if you want to improvise and attach you own signature...Its easy just to swap and change to start with and if you feel good about it..go with it..I have the Colin Davey copy so I will be able to follow what you are doing...I have found the same with Monday Struggle I can play it through perfect with right hand up to where I have studied..put both hands together and parts of it is woefull to say the least but other sections I can coordinate quite well..Theres no doubt about it just persistence and eventually it will all come together....Doug

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/14/10 04:55 AM

I just wanna say I really enjoy reading this thread. Slowly getting back into piano playing and IBP myself, and I'm currently working on "Down Home Funk", "The Other Side" and "St Louis Blues". I usually to a few bars of one song hands togheter as slowly as possible over and over again, and when I get tired of that I switch to the next song and do the same. If I do that over time I know the breakthrough eventually comes.

I've pretty much gone through the book up to where I am now, but have skipped a few songs and gone back and done most of them. I've boughth a lot of books before I found IBP and was trying to learn to much and to difficult pieces in the beginning. If it hadn't been for IBP I don't think I would have played the piano today. It's systematic approach and well explained nature has learned me more than I ever thought would be possible. I remeber 2 songs I really struggled with. "Blues for Booker" and especially "Back In The Alley". Once I've managed to play "Back In The Alley" I was sure that if I can do this one, I'm able to play any song in the book (and some) if I practice enough. What a nice feeling smile

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/14/10 05:24 PM

Hi Bullitt..Your doing well if your playing "The other side"..this is a great Blues-jazz piece with great chord comping sections..you have a great outlook at approaching your commitment to playing Blues --ie:(I was sure that if I can do this one, I'm able to play any song in the book (and some) if I practice enough)---just keep at... Doug

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/15/10 02:03 AM

Welcome aboard, Bullit! smile
Glad to hear you enjoy reading this thread!
Actually here we have just a few people writing and many people reading, so maybe in the future more people like you will share their thoughts about IBP. Keep on playing and posting!

Doug, my new CLP 370PE is amazing and I can't stop playing it.
Today I keep working on Pinetop's Boogie Woogie: I have added a riff similar to Chorus 2 in PBW Take 1. I already played it, so it fats the tune without a great effort!

In these days I'm not studying new tunes, but I'm practicing the "old" tunes I love the best, such as Barrelhouse Blues, Blues with Pick-ups, Ninth Blues and so on. I'm trying to dig into these tunes and get a better and more solid sound, in particular when I improvise.

A good week to everybody!
b-52

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/15/10 02:32 AM

Welcome Bullitt and congratulations b-52 on your new CLP 370PE... great piano! thumb

I've been spending some time on Pinetop's Boogie too but I'd like to learn it in its more recognized piano solo version eventually, i.e. without the the spoken intro part. Maybe I should get hold of a transcription to help.

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/15/10 02:41 AM

Hi boogieman52..What have you done with your other piano's !!!...the 370 would have a great feel and sound about it..your on the right track playing the old tunes as they soon disappear from the repertoire they get hard to play if you don't play them regular ..I learned a few extra riffs and if I don't keep including them in the practice boogie ..I soon loose the momentum to play them smoothly...
There sure have been a lot of hits on the thread...a pity we haven't got a few more participating ..great to see there is an interest in the Tim Richards ..Blues Piano.. just keep at it...Doug

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/15/10 03:08 AM

Hi cruiser...You can acquire the recognized transcription from Colin Davey ..at his learn how to play boogie woogie site..in fairness to Colin you need to buy it from him as he has done the work in transcribing it...there is a copyright on it anyway..its only about $10.00 US..which is cheap in Euros...you have another option..there is a site in Germany..WWW.Boogie-online.npage.de his name is Wolfgang and is very easy to deal with... He has a lot of boogie transcriptions and are priced in Euros..They range from 15 to 25 Euros and are downloaded PDF to your computer.. this might suit better as your currency is Euros..When you go to the site you will see in the left hand index.. catalog/prices..you'll have to email him for the catalog..I would post it but it has a security lock and stops you from copying it..I have brought his Yancy Special..(Albert Ammons may 18 1942) its spot on..it is a future project....Doug

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/15/10 04:17 AM

Thanks for the info Doug, I've contacted Wolfgang
Mike

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/15/10 05:46 PM

Hi Dough,
my Yamaha P155 is bound to spend the rest of its life at the seaside, where I'm going to play it during the weekends.
Riffs and tunes... difficult to memorize, easy to forget!

Hi Mike,
the major problem with a good transcription is that... it may be too good.
As it is note for note, it includes also little mistakes, little variations and so on, so in the end it may be difficult to learn and memorize the tune.

I find the Pinetop's BW in IBP very useful, because it's more schematic than a good transcription note for note. Unfortunately it's only an excerpt: at least I would have liked to see also the first two choruses.

Please, let me know if you like the Wolfgang's transcription, because maybe I'm going to buy some of his scores in the future.

Good night everybody!
b-52

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/16/10 02:44 PM

In the afternoon I recorded Barrelhouse Blues and Blues with Pick-Ups, then I called my wife and asked:" What do you think about it?"

She looked at me for a few seconds, then she whispered..."I love you just the same..."

Should I be sad as a piano player or should I be happy as a husband??? ;-)

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/16/10 09:37 PM

Hi boogieman52...Recording is one of the best ways to improve you playing....if it is all bad you know all of it will have to improve overall..if parts are not up to scratch ..they are the parts to improve..I use this feature on my piano all the time..when I have a good take of something ..I will PM it to you....
What wonderful wife...My wife doesn't like the sound of a piano..but she often comments when we are at meal time...that piece is sounding better!!!...or..why are you playing the same piece over and over..??...I just say ..I've forgot how to play the rest of the piece....Just Having fun....Doug

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/17/10 12:59 AM

Originally Posted By: b grin grinoogieman52
In the afternoon I recorded Barrelhouse Blues and Blues with Pick-Ups, then I called my wife and asked:" What do you think about it?"

She looked at me for a few seconds, then she whispered..."I love you just the same..."

Should I be sad as a piano player or should I be happy as a husband??? ;-)

grin grin grin

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/17/10 09:14 PM

Hi boogieman52...Hey..Hows the new piano..have you passed the license test to drive it yet...wont be long before you will only have to think about what you want to play and it...and the piano will do it for you..very nice to be able to have have such great accompaniment at you finger tips ..your imagination will create a great output for your jazz and blues in the future without having to over play great hand fulls of notes..I use the accompaniment in the piano I have... on the standards I play and it is a lot more entertaining and satisfying to play ...Have been and had a look at the CVP 505....just thinking about it at the moment..you can only play so much boogie and blues..Doug

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/18/10 06:59 AM

Hi Doug,

My new piano is the CLP 370PE, not a CVP, so it doesn't have any accompaniment.
I chose it because I like the sound of the solo piano.
Of course, sometimes I miss the accompaniment, but whithout it I can concentrate on my mistakes and... well, they keep me very busy!

The CVP 505 is a great piano and I understand it does almost everything, even playing for you... :-)

In these days I record everything I play and this is very helpful.
I like to play the easiest tunes in IBP, and concentrate on the sound: I try to get that big fat sound I really love.

P.S. Tomorrow my wife and I are going to the Rhythm Riot, a great R&B and early Rock 'n' Roll Weekender in the South of England, so I will not be able to check this forum until Tuesday morning. But please, my dear IBP friends... keep on posting! :-)

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/18/10 12:58 PM

I hope you and your wife have a great time at Rhythm Riot b-52 smile

Don't twist an ankle and come 'home' to us safely!

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/18/10 01:44 PM

Ok, Mike,

I'll do my best to come home safely! :-)

Actually sometimes it may be a little dangerous to dance Boogie Woogie and Rock 'n Roll with so many people around...
At the Rhythm Riot (at the Pontin's in Camber Sand, near Rye) there will be 3000 people, but luckly enough we will not be dancing all togheter at the same time...

I will keep IBP with me, so if a piano player has lost his airplane or get sick on the spot, I can climb the stage and play Jump Shuffle!
Can you imagine my wife's face?!??!
As Dough always says... just having fun! :-)

A weekend full of love to everybody!
b-52 Adalberto

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/18/10 05:02 PM

Hi..boogieman52....Have a great weekend..dont injure youself...Doug

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/22/10 10:57 AM

I'm venturing into chapter 2 of IBP now and working on 6th Blues and Jump shuffle.

I must confess that the old frustration demons are starting to appear again as I try and produce something 'musical' to propel my enthusiasm forward. My long term goal is to be able to play and improvise in a more modern-jazz oriented style - in a Keith Jarrett sort of way - but this seems a million miles away at the moment.

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/22/10 04:56 PM

Hi...cruiser..Have you covered.. New Orleans triplets workout...or..Blueberry Hill .part 1..these are harder to control as they use 4 triplets to the bar..I have trouble to control the tempo when I first start on those pieces..I'm using a metronome for both of these pieces...Jump shuffle I find easer as each vamp alternates ..."just keep at it"...this type of music takes a lot of attitude and cant be overcome in 5 minutes ..play other music to have a break from it...if I am having a problem with timing or reading a piece..I revert to a piece that I can play well..play it seveal times ..then go back to to the problem piece..Dont let it get to you...in the end I want to enjoy playing this type of music....The jazz style I want to play like is Erroll Garner...I'm probally a thousand miles away.......Doug

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/22/10 05:09 PM

Thanks Doug, I appreciate your support. I have in fact covered new Orleans Triplet workout and Blueberry Hill (Part 1). In all honesty, it didn't take me too long to master these pieces, as written.

This music is a labor of love for me and I'm not about to give in any time soon - just need to navigate my way out of these rough waters, to the open sea!

You may well be "a thousand miles away" from your goal of playing in the Errol Garner style but, thanks to IBP, you're flying! - and a thousand miles is nothing when you're flying!

My best to you Doug
Mike

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/22/10 05:31 PM

Hi...Mike...It just shows how different we all are...some pieces are played easy by some of us and others find it hard to jump the hurdles on other pieces....have fun.....Doug

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/23/10 08:21 AM

Hi Doug - as I say, I can play "Blueberry Hill" as written but as soon as I try and sing along to it, as suggested by Tim, my playing falls to pieces! crazy

Mike

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/23/10 12:11 PM

Don't forget to go slow at first, as slow as necessary to play it correct and then speed up. I remeber when I started on Blueberry Hill I found it very uncofomforable playing the left hand using the black keys (Bb & Eb). Was quite different than playing in the "normal" keys.

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/23/10 04:00 PM

Hi, IBP friends!

My ankles are safe :-) and I'm back to the piano.
At the Rhythm Riot I danced to the Music of some very good piano players and when we were not dancing, it was very exciting to watch them in action!

Tonight a revision of old tunes, just for the pleasure to play them.

Got a dozen of good Piano Blues CDs and the new Edition of The Story of Boogie Woogie, by Silvester: listening, reading and playing... that should be the right way to play like a pro!
Ok, just kiddin'!
b-52 Adalberto

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/23/10 04:13 PM

Adalberto, good to have you back - and injury free! Glad you had a great time in England smile

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/23/10 09:34 PM

HI...boogieman52...Sounds like you had a fantastic week end...I have the Silvester book as well..got it just recently...very interesting..good to watch and hear other players ...can pick a lot up just watching others play..

cruiser...Bullitt...good information for other viewers following the thread...

cruiser...I might change the mileage as you are referring too ..to...a hundred thousand miles!!!..Doug

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/25/10 12:01 AM

Thank you, friends!

Last night I started IBP back again from the very beginning
Yes, Mike... I did it! blush

In fact, I feel that I need a more structured approach to this book.
So I'm going to alternate the practice of the tunes I already know with the study of the tunes and exercises I have skipped.

This morning I'm practicing Beginner's Blues with the two Jimmy Yancey's bass lines.
I'll let you know my progresses!

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/25/10 01:51 AM

Hi..boogieman52...The Jimmy Yancey bass line is a melodic grind..that can be hard to cordinate with the right hand..I play it every day with several different r/h riffs....Doug

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/25/10 01:54 AM

Hi Everyone...Look at that.. a birthday cake..I can feel a new piano..soon.......Doug
Posted by: Studio Joe

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/25/10 02:08 AM

Hi Everyone...Look at that.. a birthday cake..I can feel a new piano..soon.......Doug

Happy Birthday Doug.

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/25/10 03:56 AM

Hi...Joe...Thanks ...have listened to some of your tracks...great music..some good country there too...Doug

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/25/10 05:44 AM

Hi Doug!

Happy Birthday and... let us know about that little present... :-)

Adalberto

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/25/10 02:10 PM

Been away from my PC for two days....

Sending birthday wishes from a frozen northern Germany to your - hopefully! - warm & sunny part of Australia... Happy birthday Doug!

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/25/10 05:46 PM

Hi ..Adalberto...Mike...
Thanks..have had a great day with all the family....Doug

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/28/10 03:26 AM

Hi ... IBP followers..was a great birthday..have a Yamaha CVP-505 coming tomorrow. ..think this will see me out till I cant play anymore..going to need a licence to drive it...more latter...Doug

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/28/10 07:04 AM

Wow! - many congratulations Doug!... that's a serious piece of kit. I happen to love Yamahas, both digital and acoustic.

Looks like you'll have plenty of options for creating your own backing band etc. etc. smile

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/28/10 04:08 PM

Hi..Mike...I have selected this model as it will give me a wide range of interactive features..can setup my own group to sit in on the blues..there is also an amazing draw bar organ which will make for some nice bebop blues...key board can be split into 3 sections..so this will allow for piano-organ -sax or what ever...another feature I can assign the left pedal for breath control on the sax....not much they haven't thought of with when designing this ensemble piano..no doubt as I play with it over the years I should get some very satisfying hours from it...more latter...Doug

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/29/10 12:41 AM

Congratulations, Doug!

It's so nice to see how happy you are!
I wish you thousands and thousands of hours with your CVP-505 and I'm sure it will help you to improve your playing!
b-52 Adalberto

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/29/10 06:24 AM

Hi Adalberto....The CVP-505 was delivered tonight ..magnificent ..havent been able to get at as we have 4 grand kids staying to night.. I'll read through the manuals and get acquainted with some of the controls..even the wife was excited and she doesn't like piano's...Really wanting to check out the blues drum kits... sax and B3 ensemble ...more latter.....Doug

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/29/10 05:05 PM

Great, Doug! :-)

I just started Yancey Special -by Yancey, not Meade Lux Lewis- transcribed by Sabathe (Genius of Blues http://www.authentic-blues-piano.com/)

As you can imagine, the study and practice of all the Thirds and Sixths in IBP have very helpful, because Yancey Special has plenty of them

The only problem is that the score is in a 12/8 time, not very simple to read for me. So when I can't follow the score note for note... I improvise :-) trying to get a good yanceysh sound.

Anyway I do love this tune and so my motivation to learn it is very strong.!

Best wishes!
b-52 Adalberto

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/30/10 01:57 AM

Hi..Adalberto....Is the stride chord bass rendition ..I have seen Freakyhead20 on Utube playing it this way...still a great piece of music played this way.....Doug

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 12/03/10 05:29 PM

Hi Adalberto...Had a look at the Yancey Special in the Genius of blues CDs..have to work out how to use the midi facility in the CVP..Have to get a midi card for the computer so I can connect to the midi port in the CVP...It has a video out port and I have a 22" flat screen connected to read stored music..
Yancey Special ..Genius of blues is a different transcription .. still very nice..it will be easer to play..not as complex right hand compared to the Boogie online transcription...keep at it ..Doug

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 12/03/10 07:56 PM

Hi ... Its no big deal to connect..found a USB to Midi cable that does the job..dont even need a separate sound card ..its already in the computer sound card..just had to activate the midi section... have to wait for the cable to arrive ......Doug

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 12/04/10 02:32 AM

Hi Doug,

Sabathé has transcribed the Yancey's Special as played by Jimmy Yancey, while at Boogie online there is the Meade Lux Lewis' version, that's more difficult.

I have done the first 3 choruses and I start to get a sound that I like, but the 12/8 time dosn't help: I wrote to Sabathè about this, but probably he doesn't like this kind of questions... :-)
Anyway, I would have preferred the 4/4 time Triplet Feel time.

As I wrote to you, your piano is really great and I'm happy the Midi setup is going well.
With all that technology to take care of, don't forget to play sometimes! :-)))

Have fun!
b-52

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 12/04/10 06:37 AM

Hi boogieman52...The Midi setup is for learning...as well as reading and looping several bars at a time....The piano also has the LED system to show you what notes to play...when playing with this system activated if you play the wrong note it stops until you hit the right note..So you can set a 30 BPM ...read the music..play along..make a mistake..it stops until you play the right note..and then procceds....I think you will remember that wrong note and wont do it again...Have been playing around with the Ensemble side of the piano..and this is nothing short off amazing...if I were lazy and didn't want to play a shuffle or boogie left hand this has several excellent boogie runs and many shuffle left hands..can combine with ensemble instrument .. guitar .. sax .. ect...the instrument samples are breath taking...I'm going to have many years of entertainment with this CVP..I have brought this type of D/P..as I like to play standards as jazz and latin styles..I like the ensemble accompaniment to play with it...as I also wanted a good piano for the Blues and Boogie endevours.....Doug

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 12/04/10 05:36 PM

Hi Goug,
what you can do with your DP is simply amazing! :-)
Have fun!
B-52

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 12/07/10 06:18 AM

Hi boogieman52...Have been spending this week on page 226-227...Rock a boogie ..very tricky 3rd chorus ..bars 9 to 11 .. have spent a while getting coordination right ..still cant play bars 9 to 11 at any great speed..uses a octave boogie run left hand ...the right hand rundown is the same as 2nd chorus 9 to 11 but with a shuffle beat.. its fine to play..This is a great piece of up tempo blues...all 3 chorus can be used for other improvisation's or add on's......have fun.....Doug

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 12/07/10 06:36 AM

Hi...Hey...Have brought a set of headphones...I wasn't going to use them but have found I wanted to play late at night..probally wouldn't annoy the neighbor's as they are not close by ...but probally get the wife annoyed with the constant repetition of the boogie riffs...have to have the volume at a certain attenuation for it to sound like a real piano....didnt want to spend heaps and settled for AKG 240 Monitor..(made in Austria)..I have found they respond very well to the lower part of the keyboard..and the midrange is bright and not muddy...the highs are crisp and I can hardly feel them when wearing...anybody else using these.....Doug

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 12/09/10 11:00 PM

Hi Cruiser..Are you snowed out..seen the weather reports.. doesen't look good..Ok to stay inside and play the Blues .....Doug

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 12/12/10 04:38 PM

Hi Doug,
I have never tried Rockaboogie... It seems quite difficult, but I am sure it will be under your belt very soon with a little help from your brand new piano! :-)

Be careful when you use your headphones.
Some nights ago, I woke up at 3 o' clock, went to the piano, played very hard, until my wife rushed down the stairs and I realized that I had forgotten to plug my headphones.
You know, I was there, with my headphones on my head, 3 am, hammering the 88s and my poor ol' wife staring at me: yes, I felt a little stupid... :-)

As usual... Have fun!
b-52 Adalberto

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 12/12/10 11:54 PM

Hi boogieman52....Have been playing the Rockaboogie for about a week now..can plow through several sections easily and still having to slow down on a couple..can play it right through..I did already know a couple of the riffs that are used in the piece..with a different left hand riff....I'll be better at it in a week or so and send you a wave file....
I can just imagine whacking at the keys at 3 am..shure would be a lot of fun..Headphones I've got you can hear out side them....also have indicator to tell you when they are plugged in...Nah!!! you couldn't have felt stupid..you were having FUN as usual .....Have Fun.....Doug

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 12/20/10 05:22 AM

Hi...Looks like people are busy ..I will wish every a Merry Xmas... hope I will post a thread before Christmas has come and gone...I've been busy with grand kids this last week so have nearly done nothing on the keyboard...it will take 2 weeks to catch up to where I was..Rockaboogie is coming along fine and should have it 120 in a couple of weeks ..if I can keep at it......more latter... Doug

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 12/20/10 02:54 PM

Hi Doug,
I'm working on Pinetop's Boogie Woogie, Yancey Special, Five O' Clock Blues (Yancey.

Don't stop playing, because -as you said- it takes a lot of time to catch up to where you were!

All the best!
Adalberto

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 12/20/10 04:13 PM

Merry Xmas all.

I've been lazy latley playing the piano, but Rockaboogie has been on my list for a long time for next song, but still struggling along with St.Louis Blues. It has given me a harder time than expected. Still I got it mostly down now. Just need to put it all togheter and play it even in tempo.

I haven't posted here alot so I feel a little like a stranger, but I often read and enjoy this thread, so keep them post comming.

Frank

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 12/20/10 07:02 PM

Hi..Frank...St.Louis Blues is a great piece..not as easy as it looks...I also play this on lap steel guitar...The tempo as on all pieces... I play real slowly for weeks until the fingers know where to go ..usally by this time I know the piece off by heart and can concentrate on just playing..
Rockaboogie ..I know a couple of the riffs in this piece already..play them on guitar...I just have to get it coordinated properly...and the right tempo in 160...I dont know if I'll ever get to that speed... have a great Xmas.........Doug

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 12/20/10 07:17 PM

Hi..Adalberto....WOW....your really biting the bit..I have been tinkering a bit with Yancy special...and this leads me to play with Blueberry Hill as well using same bass riff...also training left hand for Swanee River Boogie..theres a good tutor on Utube "Cam1987"..has 3 sections to get you through..."Boogiewoogiekid" aka Matthew Ball.. has just posted his cover of the Swanee boogie...just amazing the thought that has gone into the phrazing of sections of his rendition..Merry Xmas to you and your family...Doug

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 12/22/10 07:38 AM

Hi Doug,
do you like the old piano played by Cam? Not so may bells and whistles, but a traditional sound I do like.

Keep on playind during the Holidays! :-)
Merry Christmas to you and your family too from your Italian friend
Adalberto b-52

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 12/24/10 03:43 AM

Hi Adalberto...I have watched Cam a lot as he also plays a version of Monday Struggle..His piano is a Bluthner and has a over damper...most pianos are underdamper...its been in his family for a long time and I like the sound of it...Merry Christmas to you and your family....Doug

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 12/30/10 10:52 PM

Hi... Tim Richards blues piano students..followers...Have a great New Year .. Doug

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 01/06/11 12:37 AM

I'm late, but...

a great New Year to Doug and everybody! :-)

Adalberto b-52

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 01/12/11 03:50 AM

Hi..b-52...have been into Comping Blues "p 163"..this has led me though to Four Finger Blues "p214"...I use comping a lot in other music I play.."standards-latin"...its a bit like a guitar strumming the rhythm..and the chord changes just sound great either on every first or second beat....I have another exercise from Tims #2 Exploring jazz piano .. Bird Blues Comping "p161" this leads into Blues Turnaround Workout..gives a tritone ..half beat early..half beat late...vertical improvisation..this goes well on some latin pieces I play....Doug

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 01/16/11 04:17 AM

Hi...I have found a new way to guitar comp chords on my left hand..the CVP505..allows a third voice for left hand..this is just the best way to play some blues piano..with piano melody....guitar strumming rhythm..(it even has fret noise when changing chords)...and the bass running with the drum kit...this ensemble piano is a great piece of kit and I'm learning different things it is capable of doing every day..never have to worry about getting anyone to jam....all the voicing samples are very realistic..Doug

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 01/16/11 02:55 PM

You are very lucky to have such a wonderful instrument! :-)
Adalberto b-52

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 01/30/11 05:27 PM

Hi..Blues in Thirds..P96..I use thirds in a lot of music I play...Its a great way to fill and improvise ..useing them with left and right hands can give a great vibraphone effect..I play some slow blues and use this effect..my cvp505 has a great tremolo vibraphone voice...I had a Satio vibraharp about 30 years ago..could play it a bit but could never find a tutor to teach me the play technique..Milt Jackson and Lionel Hampton are great exponents.of this instrument...Doug
Posted by: pbluesman

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 02/03/11 04:41 AM

Hi guys,

I've been keeping an eye on this post for quite some time and thought I should introduce myself. I've been working with the Tim Richards book for just over a year now.

For the first 6 months I worked all the way through the first two chapters and up to Blue Monk in chapter 3. Got a bit burnt out because I was playing so much and then didnt work on the book again for another 3 months.

I've since come back to the book and started from the beginning again. Its amazing how much you forget over a few months! I'm trying to practice with a more structured approach this time rather than rushing through the book.

I'm not working in all keys yet (think I'm playing in about 8) and I tend to practice two keys specifically a day. In those two keys I spend about 10 minutes on technical exercises (scales, arpeggios, chord inversions, thirds, sixths etc). Then I spend 30 minutes playing pieces specifically in those keys, so either pieces already in those keys or I transpose a new piece and learn it in that key. Then I spend about 10 minutes on a problem area and 15 minutes working on a new song and its assignments.

I'm currently working on Blue Fifth Boogie with a different Rocks pattern to the written one. Still a bit clumsy but coming along well.

The problem area at the minute is a walking octave bass. I can play this if I watch my left hand, and apart from a few missed notes I can play it without looking at my left hand. My main problems are endurance (after a few choruses my hand starts to cramp) and also I cant concentrate on this AND improvise at the same time.

Does anybody have any tips regarding how they learnt the walking octave bass, increased endurance etc?

I'd also be interested to know if anybody else uses a structured approach to practising or if they have any suggestions about mine?

Thanks guys!

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 02/03/11 05:50 PM

Hi pbluesman...Welcome..The problems you are encountering is what most of us have trouble with as we travel through the book..just keep plodding along and you will get there..I play other music as well..I love the blues and boogie music...BUT..it can be a bit samey if you are playing it over and over...Just dont over play and injure your hands...most of us are clumsy when learning this type of music..dont let it overpower you and have a rest from it like before...Left hand walking bass is like Boogie left hand ..it takes years..the left hand will eventually play by its self as the brain trains its self to play in an auto mode..I've read where pros can take years to achieve the proficiency they require to play a single piece in public..have fun ...Doug

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 02/05/11 02:32 AM

Hi pbluesman, Dough and everybody!

After a few weeks away from IBP, today I am back to Medium Jump (p.182), one of my favourite piece.
I remember it quite well, but the left hand is stiff.

Anyway I am happy, because in the last weeks I was practicing again some stuff from Colin Davey's Learn BW Piano and today I am incorporating some of his riffs in Medium Jump.

I wish I could play in all keys (or at least in 3 or 4 :-))) but actually I cannot leave my familiar key of C...
Maybe because I don't use a structured approach to practising!

All the best from
Adalberto
Posted by: BBB

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 02/17/11 08:27 AM

I most recently discovered this book. It's great to see other's using it. That kind of validates the book to me.
Thanks,
BBB
Posted by: rocket88

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 02/17/11 02:01 PM

Just dont over play and injure your hands...most of us are clumsy when learning this type of music..dont let it overpower you and have a rest from it like before...Left hand walking bass is like Boogie left hand ..it takes years..the left hand will eventually play by its self as the brain trains its self to play in an auto mode..I've read where pros can take years to achieve the proficiency they require to play a single piece in public..have fun ...Doug

Thats is so right. It takes a long time, but time is not the only thing. You can practice it incorrectly forever and never get anywhere except learning some bad habits and perhaps injuring yourself.

What helped me to learn the LH walking Bass is to first master rocking the LH on an octave. Do this slooowly and very carefully, and stop before the pain occurs. This teaches your hand to do the basic movment, and if you go slow, and stop before the pain occurs, you will eventually build up endurance.

Then, start doing the walk-up thu a root chord, i.e. C - E - G - E - C. This teaches the hand to go up and down without having the jumps be too complicated.

Once you can do that consistently you can go up and down more, and slowly increase the tempo. Use a metronome or drum machine so you are also building in proper tempo control.

The bottom line is go slow, careful, precise, and take baby steps. Its like the tortise and the hare....the slow tortise won the race.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 02/18/11 05:36 PM

Hi rocket88.... I couldn't agree more with you...this is very good advice for novice blues and boogie players....and any type of playing...boogie dosent happen over night...I have been working on a Albert Ammons piece..."Monday Struggle" for 8 months and it still going to take another 12 months to get it at comfortable playing tempo that I will be happy with..the trouble with learning this type of music is you cant take a break from it....if you dont play it for a week ..it takes two or three days to get it back to speed..........Doug

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 02/21/11 12:29 PM

Sunday Afternoon Blues (p. 61) - difference between recording and printed music

It is not a big thing, but am I correct in that there is a difference between the printed music and recording for right hand, bars 4-5 Sunday Afternoon Blues (p. 61)?

Bars 4-5 the right hand repeats:

Print: F-G-Bb (B-flat6)
Recording: C-D-F (F6)
Posted by: ten left thumbs

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 02/21/11 01:40 PM

Originally Posted By: WalkFar
Sunday Afternoon Blues (p. 61) - difference between recording and printed music

It is not a big thing, but am I correct in that there is a difference between the printed music and recording for right hand, bars 4-5 Sunday Afternoon Blues (p. 61)?

Bars 4-5 the right hand repeats:

Print: F-G-Bb (B-flat6)
Recording: C-D-F (F6)

I'd never noticed that before. Either works.

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 02/23/11 04:09 AM

Hi again guys, bit of an update on my progress.

I'm a bit further on now than I got the first time around and I'm starting to learn some really cool new songs.

So far my progress looks like so:

Chapter 1 (Triads) - All pieces / Assignments completed.
Chapter 2 (Sixth Chords) - All pieces / assignments completed.
Chapter 3 (Seventh Chords) - I'm currently working on two pieces in this section at the moment:-

On-Off Boogie #2, currently trying to learn this with a walking octaves bass, after that I will be spending some time learning the piece with 3 note chords and spending some time in that area in general. My octaves walking bass is now starting to come along quite nicely.

Blue Monk - I've more or less got his one down now, just working on the melody in thirds assignment and I'm then planning to start looking at stride.

Chapter 4 (Ninth Chords) - Working on Ninth Blues, again this ones nearly there, just need to work on consistently finding the turnaround and ending chords.

Chapter 5 (Minor and Diminished Chords) - Just started looking at How Long Blues. Really great piece of music.

Regarding the last one, I'm finding that I dont have the hand span for the second chorus tenths (where the bass note is held for 4 beats and the other notes are played on the beat for 3 beats). Does anyone have any playing tips for this? On the recording it doesnt sound like Richards keeps the bass note held but I may be wrong. I was wondering if this would be an appropriate place for the sostenuto pedal?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 03/14/11 09:07 AM

Hi guys,

Not sure if anyones still following this thread but to answer my own question from before, I actually got in touch with Tim Richards by email to ask him the same question and his response was that its fine to play the tenths seperately which he does on the cd or together if you have big hands.

Also here's a couple of recordings I did at the weekend. I've been trying to get my piano set up correctly for recording for a while and finally had some success. The first is an improvisation on Smooth Blues, and the second is an improvisation on Syncopated Blues and Happy Blues. There a couple of obvious mistakes in there but feel free to post some feedback.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22324380/Piano_Recordings_130311/Blues_Improv_1.mp3

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22324380/Piano_Recordings_130311/Blues_Improv_2.mp3

Thanks.
Posted by: shepdave

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 03/14/11 11:09 AM

I have been working on a Albert Ammons piece..."Monday Struggle" for 8 months and it still going to take another 12 months to get it at comfortable playing tempo that I will be happy with..the trouble with learning this type of music is you cant take a break from it....if you dont play it for a week ..it takes two or three days to get it back to speed..........Doug

Hey, dissyfingers, which "Monday Struggle" are you working on? The boogie-woogie one or the stride one? I know Colin Davey sells sheet music for the BW song, but I'm currently working on (my own transcription of) the stride one. Completely different songs. The BW one has a lot in common with "Shout for Joy," with the same LH and turnaround. The stride one is like nothing else I've heard by Ammons.

Incidentally, it's the stride version one hears if one Googles the title or searches iTunes or Amazon.

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 03/15/11 03:29 AM

Hi shepdave...I am working on the Colin Davey transcription....ie:April 8,1939.....Solo Art Recording.....The closest version is Utube...Freakyfingers20 performance.....he also has a stride version there as well..another close version in Utube...Cam1987.....I have been plodding along with this piece for 9 months now...can play several sections OK...but still needs a lot of work..have allowed myself 18 months to play it..but I doubt if I will ever play it at recommended tempo...have another 7 or 8 Boogie pieces I would like to play eventually.......Doug
Posted by: shepdave

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 03/15/11 08:37 AM

I've seen both Eeco's and Cam's renditions of the BW versions on YouTube. Very impressive. I have also seen Eeco's performance of the stride version, which is close to the Ammons record, but not exactly the same. Nonetheless, it's pretty impressive.

Sorry to sort of hijack this thread on IBP. I have the book, but I haven't really dug deeply into it so far. I've mostly been working with the Colin Davey/Frank Poloney BW book and with transcribing and learning a few of these old songs. It's amazing how hard they are to play. The boogie-woogie masters made them sound so effortless and joyful.

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 03/15/11 06:25 PM

Hi shepdave...I dont think Adalberto would mind ..its the same type of music and he is a keen boogie woogie player.....I have the Colin Davey /Frank Poloney tutor....it has taught me heaps and I use it as a referance...when you see someone who is a confident player ...looks easy....BUT...it takes years and you have to play it every day or you loose it very quickly...then it take days to get play ability back...I have also been tinkering with Swanee River Boogie....its a piece I can relate the melody too..Blueberry Hill ..using the Yancy Special left hand also is a great slow blues number..Learn the IBP Rockaboogie...page 226..this has both a shuffle and boogie bass and a tricky rundown third chorus...bars from 9 to 13....Doug

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 03/31/11 10:02 PM

Hi Tim Richards..followers...Have been a bit busy doing some Willie Myette ..Boogie Jazz lessons...but I always come back to IBP as a reference .and its the Slow 12/8 Blues P.208..it user's the Fats Domino types riffs and left hand in the first chorus.... then changes to Stride left hand in the 2nd chorus ...the stride left hand is good as I also play Black & White rag and 12th street rag...its quite a struggle sometimes to keep up the octave bass over each of the chords..the left pinky gets lazy and doesn't hit the key..I've always admired a good stride player...lot of practice involved to get it perfect.....Doug

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 04/10/11 08:48 AM

Hi To... Tim Richards IBP students...Have been playing the Blues In Thirds...Page 96..This has the Jimmy Yancy feel..I have several different riffs ..including a blanket riff..turn arounds and endings for this feel now...the more I play this it will get me closer to attempting the Yancy Special...not so hard on the left hand as Boogie and Shuffle...Doug

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 05/07/11 06:23 PM

Hi all,

Just bumping this thread. I spent a lot of time with this book a while ago, then have put it aside to work on other things. Thought I'd share some old recordings.

http://www.box.net/shared/h02vin9u3j
http://www.box.net/shared/6qc8lzxd3s
http://www.box.net/shared/ryn8io8auq

Great book. Wish I'd written it.

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 05/30/11 08:24 PM

Hi Tim Richards .followers..Here's an update for the people who are going through the BPI book..I have been using the book as a reference and enjoy going over the favorite blues pieces I have learnt from this fantastic book..I'm going to try some Funk blues next.....Doug

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 06/19/11 07:21 AM

Hi Tim Richards IBP Students.....Have been playing some broken octave 1.3.5.6.7th bass runs lately.. can't do much more than 3 -12 bars without the wrist getting pretty heavy...its a great boogie sound and can break up the monotonous shuffle when playing a boogie-shuffle improvisation... I'll use about 4 different bass lines..and sometimes use it as the melody only... "Back in the Ally" P80 #30 has a broken octave bass line and a few good right hand patterns you can use in any impro you are playing..there is a carpet run...a thirds chorus...Also P103 #37 "On Off Boogie" #2..you can practice a broken octave's to the right hand chord pattern in this one..Theres a great left bass run on P 226 #70 Rockaboogie...its the third chorus from bar 5..this is a Johnny Johnson type left hand riff...also got a nice carpet run in the second chorus and bar 9 is a great finishing touch to a lot of Boogie Takes a bit of practice..but has a great feel and sound..Theres a lot of fun in this book if you want to find it..I use this book as a reference..theres a lot off information here.....Doug

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 07/29/11 05:07 PM

Hi Tim Richards IBS students...Have been playing around with the Stevie Wonder song Superstition..Its a little repetitive just playing the riffs over but as I get more into it I will do some recorded overlays on my CVP505...and have a more band like setup to play along with..I see in his videos he has another 2 keyboard players behind him...this brings me to the piece on page 168 Down Home Funk..its in Eb and is neally all black notes..has a 16th note groove..takes a little practice..but gets you movin and have the piano set to clav for the clunky sound...Have fun....Doug
Posted by: ozzienovice

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 08/23/11 07:13 PM

Hi IPB fans,
I have just started with Tim Richards book after seeing all the good reviews here. As a 64 year old beginner, having just started on piano 2 years ago, I find his tunes with very different rhythms in each hand quite challenging! Any tips with how to go practice with "Blues with Pick-ups" (p. 66) for example? (my right hand wants to keep bouncing to match the left!!).

Anyway, I am enjoying the challenge.

Up to this point I was using Willie Myette's Jazz site, but after I finished all his beginner stuff, most of his newer chapters seem too advanced for me - too many very complicated chord changes. So IPB will keep me busy and happy for at least a year I should think.

Brian

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 08/24/11 07:24 PM

Hi Brian...Welcome to the forum...It just takes a lot of playing...I usually learn the left hand ..play it until it plays itself without looking...and then the right hand and eventual put them together...the great thing about this book is you dont have to go page by page..you can try any thing in the book and if its a bit hard you can always come back to it latter when you are a bit more confident with your playing..I have a Gold Pass Willy Myette subscription best money I have ever spent...Jazz..Funk..Blues..Rock..I down load the lessons so I can go over them..I have a dedicated hard drive just for the lessons..Just have fun playing and dont over do it as boogie will strain you wrist....Doug
Posted by: MaverickPiano

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 08/25/11 04:51 AM

Hey,

Just started IBP yesterday.
I bought it after I read this great post : seemed really interesting.

And I must say I'm not disapointed... great book ! great method !

I started piano again 2 weeks ago after a 20 years silence and I must say that my left hand is quite slopy after all these years. I think Boogie is just what I need to shape it back.

I want a left hand like God ! :-)

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 08/25/11 07:20 AM

IBP is great. I've learned a ton from it.

Have to agree with Doug about the Willie Myette lessons, they are really good. I just signed up a few weeks ago, although I only signed up to the blues site, and Im now considering a gold membership.

The nice thing about IBP is that the songs are really very good also. I've got together a nice repertoire of different songs just from this one book and they can be combined and modified endlessly using the techniques the book gives you.

My main problem is focusing my practice sessions rather than just sitting down and playing the same old stuff. Its difficult when you have so many enjoyable tunes to play though!
Posted by: MaverickPiano

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 08/25/11 09:58 AM

Same problem here with the ragtimes... how to stop playing the few you already "master" (and enjoy so much) in order to sit and work seriously ?

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 08/26/11 07:44 PM

Hi pbluesman...MaverickPaino ...I think most of us have that problem playing a repertoire that is hard to move away from...may be it just the enjoyment of being able to play something through without having to concentrate to much..I play a couple of Rags and find them challenging to play .. make mistakes in them and never in the same place...as for practice sessions I never take it to serious..MaverickPiano..just dont over do the boogie or you will injure you wrist..I've been playing again for a year after a 55 year silence....Doug

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 09/18/11 07:54 PM

Hi Tim Richards IBS students.....I was learning a jazz piece recently and it had two alternate bass lines that could be played ...one was a walking bassline.....which I am rather partial to..this brought me back the to the T.R IBS book for a referance..and on page 182 Medium Jump has a walking bass for the complete piece...its comping chords on the right hand and walking on the left hand....breaking into melody into the 2 nd chorus....the walking bass uses scale notes from the chords with some chromatic spacer notes on the 4th beat..I find playing a walking bass super smooth and give a great tone to a piece ..have fun playing Doug
Posted by: TonyB

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 09/24/11 08:48 AM

Well, I guess it is time to "throw my hat in the ring", so to speak. I have been working with the Frank Caruso improvising book, which is quite good. However, it does not develop the left hand beyond block chording. I feel that its real strength is attention to the kinds of details one would normally get from a live teacher, especially its discussion of theory in context of improvising and real attention being paid to fingering. In fact, that is the book's primary goal - to develop muscle memory as the basis for being able to freely improvise. It is a very good book that I would certainly recommend along with the Jimmie Amadie books on harmony and improvising. But these do not develop the left hand independence as the Tim Richards books seem to.

I have the three Tim Richards books, the blues book being discussed here and the two jazz piano books, all with CDs. I ordered them when I read some of this thread some time ago, but then set them on the shelf as other things in my life took priority (my wife's health issues). Then, today, I saw this thread again and started reading through it. I looked through the blues book and saw that all the things I like about the Frank Caruso book are well attended to in the Tim Richards book - along with decent development of the left hand for independently playing the patterns that are idiomatic to blues and related styles. On top of that, having a support thread specifically for the study of this book - who could ask for more, especially for self-study.

My keyboard is a Yamaha Motif XS8 (Motif XS with 88 keys). It has 88 piano-action weighted keys, some decent piano sounds, a sequencer, and a sampler with a bunch of very nice large piano sample libraries (Steinway, Bosendorfer, Yamaha C7, etc) that I can load when I want a really good piano sound to play with. The Motif XS is a "sampler/workstation" keyboard that doubles very nicely as a full digital piano. Since I did not grow up playing piano, I don't really have an attachment to having a real acoustic and am perfectly happy with my Motif XS. Since I live in a condo, being able to use headphones is a real benefit.

My first instrument has been guitar for many years. I play some jazz and some fingerstyle on acoustic and have played electric in bands. I have dabbled with piano/keyboard off and on in the past, especially with the Sudnow method, from which I learned a lot. I think that was good preparation for working on books like these Tim Richards books. I can read music (unusual for a guitar player, I know...), understand theory, and have some facility on the keyboard through the Sudnow method and later, the Frank Caruso book.

I ripped the CDs for the three books onto my little Tascam DR-05 handheld recorder that also serves as an MP3 player so I can slow down the tracks without changing pitch and loop parts of them as I need to. This is a really inexpensive device that is a sort of "Swiss Army knife" for recording and learning. I don't really like using a computer for music-making (probably because I work with them all day), so the little DR-05 is perfect for working with the CD material. I can hear it and my keyboard together through my headphones as well as being able to record directly to it from my keyboard.

In Minnesota, the winters are long and fall is a good time to pick a project for the winter. I think this blues piano book and the follow-on jazz piano books are perfect to take me through the winter and well beyond for years to come.

My piano interest are blues, jazz, and new age piano - all solo (i.e. I love to listen to these styles and want to learn to play them reasonably well). I am not interested in memorizing and playing what other people composed (except as steps to developing my own musical vocabulary) and would much rather come up with my own music, so I think these books are perfect for where I want to go musically.

Reading through this thread, it seems there is a good mix of playing levels represented and a lot of really good support and advice for working through this book. I hope to become a contributor as I progress.

Thanks,

Tony

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 09/24/11 07:21 PM

Hi Tony ... Welcome to the Tim Richards forum...no doubt you can contribute to the quest all blues players who aspire to playing there their own improvised pieces..I use it as a reference book and have the two jazz books as well..it is cleverly thought out as each piece has homework on improvision..I think there is a lot of people read this forum but are reluctant to post because they cant play very well and would feel intimidated asking simple questions ..Doug

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 09/25/11 11:05 AM

Thanks Doug. I don't play very well, but then I have not really been focused on doing so. I think this book and group can help change that.

Tony

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 09/26/11 07:32 PM

Hi Tony .. It dosent matter how well you play .... long as you
are enjoying what you are doing...improvement comes with practice and the amount of effort you want to put into it..just have fun......Doug

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 09/27/11 08:25 AM

Well, this seems to happen whenever I get going on keyboard...something comes up that gets in the way. Usually, it is something involving my wife's health issues, but right now, it is some involvement with the guitar that I need to prepare for. The guitar is my primary instrument and from time to time, some opportunity to play or learn will come up. So I need to focus on that for the next three weeks or so before getting back to keyboard. It is all music, so I don't mind.

Tony
Posted by: Diane...

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 09/28/11 12:29 PM

Just had to share this with you! It's my student playing "Rockaboogie" from Tim Richards Improvising Blues Piano! This kid would learn a piece in a week! This was recorded not long after he learned it. Little over pedaling, & some adjustments, but he played this for kids at his school, & they loved it!

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 09/28/11 07:23 PM

Hi Diane..Welcome and thanks for for posting your student..there are some people that have great enthusiasm and this makes learning easy and usually can remember music without site reading..you probally look forward to having this student for lessons every week...certianly makes your job easy ...no doubt you will get his technique under control and he will have a bright future in blues and boogie piano...Stephanie Trick also comes to mind ,read her bio...Rockaboogie.is a favorite of mine..it has the classic blues moves ..if you can get this down pat you will move along fairly quickly to other good feel pieces..took me about 2 weeks before I could play it smoothly..Doug

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 09/28/11 07:47 PM

What a great kid! Does he also swing ACDC? wink

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 11/14/11 04:38 PM

Hi Tim Richards IBS students..I was looking for a simple turnaround pickup on some of my boogie pieces...they get a bit stale playing the same old thing...found a good one on P 68 A Pete Johnson style..Its used in the Blues with pick-ups P 66 ..Having a new lick is like learning a new piece.......Doug

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 12/18/11 05:09 PM

Hi... Tim Richards IBS students...there are some good work outs in slow blues using a walking bass line..the easy way is to use chord notes and what I like is the using scale lines...you need a little knowlege of scales major and minor...have a look at Medium Jump #57 p.182 and Bags Groove #51 p.153 have fun......Doug

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 12/18/11 05:14 PM

Got to admire your tenacity Doug. I admit i lost interest in the book before finishing it.

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 12/18/11 05:35 PM

Hi T.L.thumbs...I dont play blues every day ...but there is different types of blues and boogie...I like all types of music...there are a lot of novice blues players that need a little push along to learn some thing different..there are a lot of people try blues and boogie and can never play it and just drop it..its simple 12 bar blues... sometimes not that easy....its a sense of rhythm and syncopation..so if I post every few weeks maybe a few will open the book and have a try and might find something that they can get through......Doug

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 12/24/11 04:32 PM

Hi... Tim Richards IBS students...I wish every one that follows this thread a Merry Christmas....Doug

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 12/24/11 05:10 PM

Now don't go having a blue Christmas! D

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 01/01/12 06:21 PM

Hi... Tim Richards IBS students...Happy New Year....This will be your year to learn 5 new riffs for your improvisation 12 bar blues bash.....Doug

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 01/04/12 05:02 PM

Hi... Tim Richards IBS students.....Wow!!!!! I cant believe this thread has had 40000 hits...there are a lot who must like playing blues and boogie ..dont be shy..tell us how your progessing and ask some questions.....Doug
Posted by: checki85

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 01/22/12 05:01 AM

Dear Tim Richards fans,

if you are interested in improvising to Tim Richards' bass lines, join me on my project on http://improvisingpiano.blogspot.com/ .
It would be great to share our ideas!

Andreas

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 02/24/12 04:01 AM

Hi Tim Richards fans, as I can see you are as pleased about this book as I am smile
I've started a blog on the improvisation tasks in Improvising Blues Piano and I invite you to join in!
http://improvisingpiano.blogspot.com/

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 03/05/12 03:44 PM

You know, I first hear about Tim Richards here at Piano World, and I reluctantly started exploring his many many GREAT blues and jazz books. AND . . . his "Improvising Blues Piano" became a huge blessing "especially" to my male students. Here's just one of the jazz songs from his "Jazz" series. He ENCOURAGES improvising. Which is part of a huge undertaking. But I can only say Thank you to Tim Richards for the many great riffs and ideas he put in these books. Again, these books were a GOD send for my students. . . and for me!

Just a note, that I used a series of other books, but these pieces from Tim Richards "blues" and "jazz" really had the sound that made it real.

So I will be forever grateful to Tim Richards and the work that HE put into these books. Sincerely! Words just can't express how much these books have made a difference. What can I add, . . . Maybe just this video. Called "Funky-Two Five" this is from Tim's Exploring JAZZ Piano! Volumn 1.

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 03/05/12 05:20 PM

Hi Diane...Thanks for posting....and I thank Tim Richards for the 3 paino tutors.... Improvising Blue Piano ...Exploring Jazz Piano #1....Exploring Jazz Piano #2..these are great referance books to learn Blues and Jazz ...its is up the student, how far one needs to progress... there are all levels of learning material...Any body wanting to purchase these books should shop around,there can be large differance in price...Doug
Posted by: samdulmage

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 03/25/12 07:37 PM

Hi everyone! Just found this forum. Very cool. I've been working with IBP for 2-3 years now and it's absolutely fantastic. I've probably played 10% of it, but it just keeps being rewarding. I only clued in a month or two back that it came with a CD and that listening to the CD might help me with the phrasing instead of trying to tap out all those syncopations and tied notes!
Posted by: KeysAngler

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 03/25/12 09:12 PM

nice ... I like funky
Posted by: JerryG

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 03/26/12 01:20 PM

I looked on the Amazon site for the Jazz piano vol 1 and it did not say that it comes with a CD. It says that vol 2 comes with one.

Did anyone order the book from Amazon and did it come with the CD?

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 03/27/12 05:59 PM

Hi JerryG......The jazz paino 1 has a DVD with it....Doug

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 03/27/12 07:58 PM

Originally Posted By: JerryG
I looked on the Amazon site for the Jazz piano vol 1 and it did not say that it comes with a CD. It says that vol 2 comes with one.

Did anyone order the book from Amazon and did it come with the CD?

I have both "Exploring Jazz Piano Volume 1 & 2" and each volume comes with it's own CD! Each book (with it's own CD) cost me a total of $100 total for both books! CD came with each Volume!

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 03/28/12 08:58 PM

Hi... Tim Richards IBS students...St Louis Blues P.200....#61....I just love this piece ... the chord progression has a great feel to it ..played in the Tango rhythm swings it along..... I also play this on 8 string lap steel tuned to C6.....Doug

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 03/29/12 04:56 AM

Hi Doug,

Haven't posted in here for a while. I'm learning St Louis Blues at the moment. Great piece, I like the arrangement in the book because the three sections all have distinct feels to them and it makes it interesting to listen to and improvise over.

As a side note I'm currently studying on a short course at Leeds College of Music led by Tim Richards, there's a beginner to intermediate course and an intermediate to advanced course which is the one I'm taking. Its actually the last class this week (only 4 weeks long).

If anybody gets the chance to study with Tim I would really recommend it. He's made me more aware of what I'm playing and has picked me up on a few bad habits. It also given me the push I needed to finally finish off the IBP book nearly two years after I first started it.

I just need to find time to start looking at Exploring Jazz Piano 1 now and start the whole cycle again!

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 03/29/12 07:46 PM

Hi pbluesman...Hi ...Its great that you are enjoying your TRB...St Louis Blues..I agree with you,the arrangement is very good ....Must be great that you have attended Tims short course...its a bit far for me to get there..sometimes it doesn't take much to get back on the course you were pursueing...blues and boogie doesn't have to be reppetious...just need a goal to achive...I would rather play 5 pieces well than 100 badly

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 05/05/12 09:01 AM

Hi there, I would be grateful if you joined my Improvising Piano project!
Thanks! smile

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 05/05/12 04:52 PM

I've been working with Improvising Blues Piano for two years now and I'm fairly enthusiastic about it. It's motivated me beyond my own expectations and I've even started a blog on it: http://improvisingpiano.blogspot.de/

Its aim is to carry out one improvisation for every song in the book, just as Tim Richards always suggests in the 'Assignments' boxes. At the moment, I'm still looking for people eager to join me in my quest. Don't hesitate to contact me, I'm no piano-superpower! laugh
Posted by: bubba-az

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 03/22/13 02:22 PM

Hi All:

It looks like this thread came to an end, but i'm glad I found it. I read through it start to finish.

I picked up IBP about two months ago, still working on Chapter One. I'm trying to be able to play all pieces well before moving on to the next chapter. I'm trying to go through this in a disciplined way. I don't really want to be a blues player, but a jazz player, and I know there is much benefit starting with this book including theory and application of blues piano. I know it definitely will lead into many advantages when I move on to jazz piano book 2.

I had taught myself to play Thompson's classical through year four...sheet reading mainly. that was in my twenties, now I'm 47.

I took jazz lessons for about 1 year, and learned a bunch of theory. learned how to play from lead sheets, basic closed and open position chords, tritone sub. but didn't learn improvisation, blues, or how to use extensions.

I'm frustrated because I feel so far away from being able to develop the playing that I'd like to do. I don't expect to be a master. But I would like to be able to play standards competently, with some improve, and with jazz voicings and extensions that make it sound great.

IBP is a great book so far. The theory is all a refresher for me so far. But it's the LH and RH patterns that are new. I don't want to be a boogie woogie pianist, but appreciate the rhythms.

I am currently unemployed, been out of work for a year. I just got a piano donated to me and picked up these two books (IBP and EJP).

If there's anyone who gets this post, I'd be curious how the book ended up benefiting you. Did anyone make it through cover to cover? Does this pathway really get you far down the road to playing competently?

Or is it better to go the route of PlayWithWillie.com or something like that?

My problem is that I don't want to take shortcuts, nor do I want to be a serious student. I'm a hobbyist. I want to be able to play competently, and I just don't want to waste my time on a path that doesn't lead me towards where I want to go.

I wish I could afford a teacher again. but I'm hoping this book helps me build the competence to play in a non-embarrassing way. Perhaps even one day having the chops to walk up to an open piano in a restaurant or hospital and play pleasingly for those around me. Maybe a restaurant player. Who knows.

So I'd love to hear from anyone who may still be around. Maybe rejuvenate this thread and study of IBP and EJP.

PS. I know from years of practice one can get better at things. I'm an oil painter, that's what I practice. you can check out my paintings, robertbrittonjr.blogspot.com but I'm not exactly where I want to be as an artist.

I also believe God has given us certain talents and it's up to us to apply regimented practice and pursuit to develop those gifts. So for me, Painting and PIano are two gifts i'm so grateful for, but my piano skills are really a ways off from where I want to be.

Thanks for listening, and love to hear from you.
Posted by: ado

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 03/25/13 01:50 PM

Excellent book ,I'had it for years still come back to it time from time although now I play mostly jazz,
it does give you lot of info to start with and once you get the left hand going ,life gets exciting.

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 03/25/13 03:15 PM

Hi Ado:

Did you progress start to finish through the book? Any recommendations on how best to use it?

I think it's a pretty good book so far, and there's some interesting patterns and knowledge in there. But much of the stuff, I'll never really apply at all like Shuffle, Boogie Woogie for example. Yes, they are cool tunes and patterns to learn.

But like I said above, I'm trying to get from where I am now...probably past beginner but at intermediate, up to being proficient in playing Jazz standards.

I do like the book's emphasis on improvisation right from the beginning.

But I'm not sure I've ever encountered anyone who went through the book and it's benefits. seems like it's got some useful stuff in it though.

I wonder what the main stream Jazz learning resources are in terms of hands on or self-instruction books for learning jazz?

I'll probably take a peak at the EJB I bought along with this one. Tim seems to suggest to first learn the IBP before moving onward to EJB.

I'm also debating sites like PlayWithWillie.com for learning jazz.

Thoughts? How do you approach your learning of jazz? Recommendations?
Posted by: Kbeaumont

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 03/25/13 04:22 PM

This is really only the first in a series of books by Tim Richards
Exploring Jazz Piano Vol. 1
Exploring Jazz Piano Vol. 2

I would also recommend: Mel Bay presents: Jazz Piano DVD Real Book
Posted by: ado

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 03/26/13 04:12 AM

I take method books as an extra info on certain subject I wanna learn ,in this case it was piano blues.
I found there a lot of interestion stuff that I used and use but also other that I don't,but it's good to by familiar with them.
I went through book completly but excercises I did't like I didn't do ,also I did a lot of research outside
and lots of other excercises which are not in the book.
Blues piano is a wast subject and IPB to me was a great introduction to that world .
Don't know much about EJP as I went with Mark Levin's jazz piano book afterwards.
Posted by: samdulmage

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 06/08/13 03:59 AM

bubba-az: I find it very useful to just work my way through it at random as mood and skill dictate, returning to various pieces again.

For anyone that's interested I just posted a recording of "How Long Blues" - Tim's arrangement followed by a few verses of vocal and a bit of improv.

https://soundcloud.com/sam-dulmage/how-long-blues-in-eb

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 06/08/13 07:56 PM

PRetty good, my friend! Listening to it now and enjoying it! Great job!

I like your vocals as well! Nicely done!

Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano - 06/08/13 10:49 PM

Hi... Tim Richards IBS students...just shows this thread hasn't come to an end...it will continue as long as people put in..I have other interests lately but will get back to playing blues and boogie....so it is importent that other people interested in this thread post every now and again no matter how trivial the piece you are learning or playing....there is enough learning in the IBS to keep any one busy for years.......