The Toshiko Akiyoshi Interview....

Posted by: Jake Feinberg

The Toshiko Akiyoshi Interview.... - 08/27/12 11:53 AM

http://www.jakefeinbergshow.com/2012/08/the-toshiko-akiyoshi-interview/

For all my interviews you can download them here;

http://www.jakefeinbergshow.com/recordings/
Posted by: Steve Nixon

Re: The Toshiko Akiyoshi Interview.... - 08/29/12 04:12 AM

Very cool Jake. I look forward to checking it out.
Posted by: LoPresti

The Toshiko Akiyoshi Interview.... - 08/29/12 10:03 PM

Thanks, Jake!

And to think - I have been mispronouncing her first name all these years . . .

What a facinating and colorful history she has! I was especially intrigued with her (emphatic) comment about prefering small combo performance, considering her prodigious talent for writing for, and leading her big band. HOWEVER, I do have a CD of her in a trio setting, and her playing there is much more expressive and expansive than with her big band. So, maybe it is that extra stretching to which she was referring.

Ed

Re: The Toshiko Akiyoshi Interview.... - 09/11/12 11:57 PM

your very welcome Steve.....JF

Re: The Toshiko Akiyoshi Interview.... - 09/11/12 11:59 PM

She is one of the most overtly humble individuals I have ever interviewed. You can hear her scoff when I say she was a trans formative figure in music history. Pass it on! JF

Re: The Toshiko Akiyoshi Interview.... - 10/29/12 03:09 PM

The piano and its percussive sounds can get lost in a big band setting at times.

Originally Posted By: LoPresti
Thanks, Jake!

And to think - I have been mispronouncing her first name all these years . . .

What a facinating and colorful history she has! I was especially intrigued with her (emphatic) comment about prefering small combo performance, considering her prodigious talent for writing for, and leading her big band. HOWEVER, I do have a CD of her in a trio setting, and her playing there is much more expressive and expansive than with her big band. So, maybe it is that extra stretching to which she was referring.

Ed