Title of piano piece?

Posted by: pv88

Title of piano piece? - 10/16/12 06:45 AM

[Edited]*

Does anyone happen to know the name of the piano piece and the composer, in the video below?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppjf9--Sfcs

*Extra note:

Found out that the piece is called "Body and Soul," however:

Whose arrangement is it, and, who is the pianist?
Posted by: rada

Re: Title of piano piece? - 10/18/12 04:35 PM

I don't know whose arrangement that is but I can tell you I like Cy Walter's arrangement. I like this one you posted as well. I think CY's version has more thickness and body to it. Can't speak to the soul as I never heard him play the song. I need one of those piano transports.

rada
Posted by: rada

Re: Title of piano piece? - 10/18/12 04:41 PM

Whoops....wasn't that song 'Ain't Misbehavin'?

rada

Re: Title of piano piece? - 10/18/12 06:51 PM

Extra note:

I have confirmed the piece in the video above is "Body and Soul" (Johnny Green - 1930) as I am now looking for the name of the pianist (and/or arranger) that plays the piece.

Here is just the melody line of the tune that the pianist is playing:

Posted by: Bob Newbie

Re: Title of piano piece? - 10/18/12 07:21 PM

I'm Going to take a shot and say Teddy Wilson..

It sounds like a 1940s recording..
I listen to it again..has shades of Oscar Peterson
or it could be a new player mimicking an old style..
Posted by: erichlof

Re: Title of piano piece? - 10/19/12 12:12 PM

No, Teddy does it infinitely better:

Sorry for the accompanying video, but that's all I could find on YouTube. Just hit play, minimize your browser window, and enjoy Teddy's version. smile

pv88,
The pianist you are looking for is probably a local bar pianist who agreed to provide some background music for this piano "dolly-machine" commercial. He or she is trying to emulate stride piano. It is an off-the-cuff arrangement that is most likely not written down. Your fake-book score above is what everyone starts with. Most people end up sounding like restaurant piano (like the guy/gal in your op), but often it is best to listen and strive for the source - Teddy, or Art, or Oscar, etc.

Hope this helps!

p.s. I will be very surprised if the company emails you back and says this is some famous piano legend playing the score to the commercial. I guess I would have to eat my words then. smile

Re: Title of piano piece? - 10/19/12 10:42 PM

Originally Posted By: erichlof
pv88,
The pianist you are looking for is probably a local bar pianist who agreed to provide some background music for this piano "dolly-machine" commercial. He or she is trying to emulate stride piano. It is an off-the-cuff arrangement that is most likely not written down. Your fake-book score above is what everyone starts with. Most people end up sounding like restaurant piano (like the guy/gal in your op), but often it is best to listen and strive for the source - Teddy, or Art, or Oscar, etc.

Hope this helps!

p.s. I will be very surprised if the company emails you back and says this is some famous piano legend playing the score to the commercial. I guess I would have to eat my words then. smile

@erichlof,

Thanks for your reply and video, above:

I am inlined to believe that this performance just might be by a local bar room pianist (as you mentioned), although I am still waiting on a reply from the company that posted the video.

I posted the lead sheet for those folks who might not be familiar with the "Body and Soul" piece, and, I think that the performance is very well played even if it is not by Art / Oscar / Teddy / or, etc.

Will be considering doing a transcription of this particular arrangement (since it is a very good one) as no score obviously exists, for it.

Will be curious to see what the company says about it, if/when they get back to me.

Re: Title of piano piece? - 10/27/12 05:59 PM

I now have info that the pianist for the "Body and Soul" performance is Pascal Wintz, from France:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppjf9--Sfcs

Re: Title of piano piece? - 11/11/12 01:06 AM

Extra note:

I can now add my own performance of the tune played in the video, here:

https://www.box.com/s/zxozn30lq33bu53l48rs