"Skating" from "A Charlie Brown Christmas"

Posted by: jasperkeys

"Skating" from "A Charlie Brown Christmas" - 10/31/12 07:04 PM

I love the sound of this piece but there's something that has me kinda buffaloed. The melody involves some descending thirds in the key of C and I was wondering what the best fingering for these was. I've tried to play this before and I only used the 2 and 3 fingers for the thirds but it didn't sound very smooth. I've seen performances on YouTube and they make it look so easy by seemingly alternating the fingerings using 2 and 3 and what looked like using 3 and 5. Has anybody played this piece to give me some advice?
Posted by: jawhitti

Re: "Skating" from "A Charlie Brown Christmas" - 12/03/12 05:08 PM

I spent *forever* learning this. I play it as 2-4, 3-5, 2-4, 1-3, 2-4, 1-3. Then HOLD your thumb on three and bring 2-4 down on either side of and repeat. Does that make sense?
Posted by: Whizbang

Re: "Skating" from "A Charlie Brown Christmas" - 12/04/12 01:01 AM

I think jawhitti's fingerings using 3-5 are probably better, but you can actually do this with 1-3 and 2-4 fingerings. 1-3, 2-4, 1-3, 1-3!, 2-4, etc.

So, yah, try jawhitti's, but if they're not working, you've got a probably crappy alternative.

Re: "Skating" from "A Charlie Brown Christmas" - 12/04/12 08:56 AM

I finally ended up using 1-3, 2-4, 1-3, 2-4, 3-5, 2-4. For some reason, I find it difficult to do smoothly at a faster tempo. It starting to sound almost nice. Very nice counding chords in this piece. Thanks.
Posted by: jawhitti

Re: "Skating" from "A Charlie Brown Christmas" - 12/25/12 10:55 PM

Jasper it took me years to be able to play that lick. The fourths a few bars later are even worse. I still can't play them satisfactorily.

Re: "Skating" from "A Charlie Brown Christmas" - 12/27/12 09:15 AM

Well, that's somewhat reassuring to me; I still haven't got it to sound as smoothly as I'd wanted. It's a cool sounding piece and not necessarily just a Christmas piece. Thanks.