A Night in Tunisia

Posted by: charleslang

A Night in Tunisia - 01/04/13 01:25 AM

Please take a watch and listen if you feel up for it.

If you do, thanks for watching!!

Posted by: Tim Adrianson

Re: A Night in Tunisia - 01/04/13 10:32 AM

A great post, Charles! To me, this is a good example of how more solo jazz piano SHOULD be done -- spare, economical, no damper pedal (or very little), but great attention to rhythmic flow, touch, and dynamics -- virtuosity that does not conspicuously advertise itself as such. Thanks for posting this!

Re: A Night in Tunisia - 01/04/13 04:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Tim Adrianson
A great post, Charles! To me, this is a good example of how more solo jazz piano SHOULD be done -- spare, economical, no damper pedal (or very little), but great attention to rhythmic flow, touch, and dynamics -- virtuosity that does not conspicuously advertise itself as such. Thanks for posting this!

Thank you for your kind and helpful words. Often, I feel I don't know what I've done until someone says something that describes it.

My left hand is hugely influenced by Dave Frank, but I try to push things toward atonality with the half step moves, as my own contribution. It's my way of bringing new life to some of these old standards.

I drop notes especially at the beginning of this recording, unfortunately, but one can't let too much perfectionism get in the way of doing any recording at all, I say. smile

Thanks again.
Posted by: knotty

Re: A Night in Tunisia - 01/05/13 07:21 AM

Super nice arrangement.
Posted by: davefrank

Re: A Night in Tunisia - 01/05/13 08:04 AM

That was real cool Charles) The mix of timings was superb. Very original rhythmic concepts throughout. Bravo)

DF

Re: A Night in Tunisia - 01/05/13 04:58 PM

I'm not worthy! crazy

Thank you, respected pros. smile