Jaco Pastorius

Posted by: landorrano

Jaco Pastorius - 01/16/13 11:06 AM

Good evening. I don't know why this question came to me, and this doesn't really have anything to do with piano, but I was wondering if anyone knows who did the string arrangements on the Jaco Pastorius album "Jaco Pastorius". Was it Pastorius himself? I've tried to find an answer on the web, without success so far.

Thanks!
Posted by: Piano Girl RMG

Re: Jaco Pastorius - 01/16/13 11:19 AM

Dear Landorarano,

My husband is a bassist (John Goldsby). A good pal of his, Arni Egilsson, played on that recording. I have just sent him an email and will let you know when I hear back. If anyone knows, it will be Arni!

Best,
Robin
Posted by: chrisbell

Re: Jaco Pastorius - 01/16/13 12:08 PM

It was Jaco that arranged most of the string arrangements.
Michael Gibbs did some of the arranging too.

http://www.jacopastorius.com/solo_jacopastorius.html
Posted by: beeboss

Re: Jaco Pastorius - 01/16/13 12:24 PM

on the cd it says that Mike Gibbs did the string arrangement on forgotten love and that Jaco did kuru/speak like a child
Posted by: chrisbell

Re: Jaco Pastorius - 01/16/13 12:33 PM

Ahh you got there before me . . .
smile

Re: Jaco Pastorius - 01/16/13 12:57 PM

Thanks for your answers.

Originally Posted By: Piano Girl RMG
Dear Landorarano,

My husband is a bassist (John Goldsby). A good pal of his, Arni Egilsson, played on that recording. I have just sent him an email and will let you know when I hear back. If anyone knows, it will be Arni!

Best,
Robin

Sancte bovinus, that's something, and it gives me pleasure to hear. I found Pastorius a very interesting musician when he was alive. I never had the opportunity to meet him, I had one friend on the Lower East Side in New York who knew him from "hanging out", called him Jaco, and said that he was a really nice guy although strange. It was this friend who told me when he learned that Jaco had died.
Posted by: Piano Girl RMG

Re: Jaco Pastorius - 01/17/13 01:35 PM

So. Yes, according to those in the know (Arni), Jaco did the arrangements. See? This forum isn't just about the piano.

Re: Jaco Pastorius - 01/21/13 12:15 PM

Dear Piano Girl, thanks for getting back about that.
Posted by: Dave Ferris

Re: Jaco Pastorius - 01/23/13 05:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Piano Girl RMG

My husband is a bassist (John Goldsby). Robin

Hi Robin. Funny we never ran into each other before. Really enjoyed John's CD from way back in '93--"Tale of the fingers" with Bill Mays on piano.

I used to see Bill frequently when he was living in LA...he moved East quite some time ago. Anyway yeah John's a wonderful player. Have you both have been living in Germany for a number of years now ? Are things in general better for jazz people over there?

I had a friend, Sax player Andy Suzuki, who moved to Germany (Berlin maybe) a few years back as well. Last I heard he's really digging it and doing well.