Next year jazz at Grammys

Posted by: 36251

Next year jazz at Grammys - 02/12/13 06:40 AM

Next year at Grammys, the jazz nominees will perform in background during the red carpet portion of show when the artists are entering. I can see it now, Chick and Gary Burton playing behind Ryan Seacrest while interviewing Katy Perry.
Posted by: jjo

Re: Next year jazz at Grammys - 02/12/13 10:08 AM

That's if they're lucky. More likely they'll provide background music for the crowd during a commercial break.
Posted by: 36251

Re: Next year jazz at Grammys - 02/12/13 10:31 AM

Originally Posted By: jjo
That's if they're lucky. More likely they'll provide background music for the crowd during a commercial break.
Yeah, when they're breaking away, we'll see 10 seconds of amazing music.
Posted by: davefrank

Re: Next year jazz at Grammys - 02/12/13 01:04 PM

Maybe if Chick wore big heels, major bling and huge falsies and did cryptic hand signals he would've had some air time. That was the WORST moment in Glammy history, an insult to Brubeck and the folks who put the rest of the evening of 3-chorded musical neanderthals on display..the greatest living player (almost) was at their disposal, millions of kids could've heard the real thing, and they instead opted for a humongous cultural cop out.
Posted by: custard apple

Re: Next year jazz at Grammys - 02/12/13 03:40 PM

Who were the "jazz" performers ?
I couldn't view it here.
Posted by: jjo

Re: Next year jazz at Grammys - 02/12/13 06:37 PM

It was a trio: Chick Corea, Stanley Clark and Kenny Garrett. They were playing Take 5 as a tribute to Dave Brubeck. The problem was that as the viewers returned from a commercial, they were already playing, with no announcement as to who was playing. I think they got to play for a minute at most. The head of the Grammy foundation then thanked them (he did at least name them at that point) and immediately moved on to something else.
Posted by: custard apple

Re: Next year jazz at Grammys - 02/12/13 08:35 PM

Originally Posted By: jjo
It was a trio: Chick Corea, Stanley Clark and Kenny Garrett. They were playing Take 5 as a tribute to Dave Brubeck. The problem was that as the viewers returned from a commercial, they were already playing, with no announcement as to who was playing. I think they got to play for a minute at most. The head of the Grammy foundation then thanked them (he did at least name them at that point) and immediately moved on to something else.

Thanks for the detail jjo.
What a pity, that would have been a phenomenal trio.