Drummer Leaving the Trio

Posted by: TromboneAl

Drummer Leaving the Trio - 03/19/13 07:23 PM

My drummer just let me know that he's resigning from my trio -- says his heart's not in it anymore. We had just gotten a regular gig at an arts center that has a nice piano.

So, I have to decide whether to get another drummer, do duo gigs with the bass player, or do more solo gigs.

The next gig is in May, my bass player isn't available on that date, and it will be two hours of playing in front of a seated audience (i.e. not background music). I'm not sure I could put together an interesting-enough show, but perhaps it's worth a try.

I'm partly venting about the joys of being a band leader, but any thoughts would be appreciated.
Posted by: gdguarino

Re: Drummer Leaving the Trio - 03/19/13 11:27 PM

Probably too obvious, but what does the Arts Center think they hired? If a trio, I don't think I'd advise surprising them with some other configuration. If you feel comfortable as a duo, or even solo, talk to them about it first.

Re: Drummer Leaving the Trio - 03/20/13 09:59 AM

Good point, but they are flexible. They actually contacted originally asking for a solo performance.
Posted by: etcetra

Re: Drummer Leaving the Trio - 03/20/13 11:51 AM

Is this a paid gig? Is there pool of drummers/bassists you can call who are capable of doing the gig? People sub in and out of gigs all the time and it's important to have network of people you work with.
Posted by: RonL

Re: Drummer Leaving the Trio - 03/20/13 11:53 AM

Do you have a back up bass player? Can you bring in someone do half the show and do the other half solo? How about bringing in a different instrument for a couple of tunes - maybe guitar (ala Bill Evans and Jim Hall) of sax ( ala Kenny Barron and Stan Getz), or bring in bass and guitar (the classic Oscar trio, also Benny Green and Nat King Cole).

It's a nice piano and as you say it may be worth a try to do it solo, so you can always go for that.

Oh and check out the recent bass piano cd Keith Jarret put out - Jasmine I think is the name - beautiful.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Posted by: chrisbell

Re: Drummer Leaving the Trio - 03/20/13 12:41 PM

Originally Posted By: RonL
Oh and check out the recent bass piano cd Keith Jarret put out - Jasmine I think is the name - beautiful.

And if I can suggest this bass - piano duo:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/togetherness/id503190539?l=en

Also, in my biased opinion, beautiful.
Posted by: custard apple

Re: Drummer Leaving the Trio - 03/20/13 07:08 PM

Yeah, the album Jasmine is exquisite, as is Togetherness.
Chris, the bass really sings on Ruby My Dear.

Re: Drummer Leaving the Trio - 03/21/13 06:50 PM

Yes, good ideas, Ron. I think I'll do something like that, I know a bunch of musicians who would be interested.