Just found out about the Koln Concert

Posted by: adak

Just found out about the Koln Concert - 03/26/13 12:24 PM

I must have listened to it for at least 20 times already, my god it is best music I have ever heard.

That being said, are there any other similar piano songs?
Posted by: jjo

Re: Just found out about the Koln Concert - 03/26/13 01:43 PM

I assume you're talking about Keith Jarrett's Koln Concert? He has a unique style, but he has recorded other solo albums. A recent a well-reviewed one is called RIO. Hard to recommend other stuff, but perhaps Brad Mehldau's Live at Marciac.
Posted by: chrisbell

Re: Just found out about the Koln Concert - 03/26/13 02:03 PM

All Jarrett. All great. All different.

Facing You
Solo Concerts: Bremen/Lausanne
Stair Case
Sun Bear Concerts
Book of Ways
G.I. Gurdjieff: Sacred Hymns
Posted by: RonL

Re: Just found out about the Koln Concert - 03/26/13 05:57 PM

There is a great transcription of the concert available - I think through advance music. He is brilliant.

You should also check out the intro to What is This Thing Called Love from Whisper Not. That too is transcribed out on the web - killer ostinato introduction.

Right now there is Keith and there is everybody else.
Posted by: adak

Re: Just found out about the Koln Concert - 03/26/13 10:55 PM

what will it take for a man to play the koln concert? would i be able to do it if i complete the level 3 alfred's book?
Posted by: 36251

Re: Just found out about the Koln Concert - 03/27/13 11:37 AM

Originally Posted By: adak
what will it take for a man to play the koln concert? would i be able to do it if i complete the level 3 alfred's book?
Why not, Keith did it. You just have to read the book "groaning for dummies."
Posted by: RonL

Re: Just found out about the Koln Concert - 03/28/13 12:07 PM

You can't be Keith, you can't be anyone but yourself. You can take some of the elements you like and incorporate into your own style. For example, this guy sounds to me like he has listened to Koln once or twice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfOQCaPI1R0
Posted by: mabraman

Re: Just found out about the Koln Concert - 04/05/13 05:53 AM

As has been said before, perhaps Mehldau is the closest thing to that kind of music. Browse some solo tunes of him on youtube and judge yourself.
I like very much his renditions to My favourite things (the longest one), O que serĂ¡, Blackbird and 50 ways to leave your lover, among other great compositions.
With regards to his albums (there are many) the one I like most is "Places", playing trio.