Elton John or Billy Joel...Who Is A Better Player??

Posted by: Daza

Elton John or Billy Joel...Who Is A Better Player?? - 05/08/13 02:28 AM

Hey guys I'm new here but love Piano and have been playing for 6 months. As for the thread...well, I love them both but for me I would prefer Billy, as I am currently still learning his New York State Of Mind, Do you like both equally or prefer one over the other? learnt any of there songs? Thanks.

Daza. smile
Posted by: rada

Re: Elton John or Billy Joel...Who Is A Better Player?? - 05/08/13 10:25 AM

I have seen them both in concert and while I am a fan of their songs and their performances it stops there. They write some great pieces but I found they both have stiff, thick fingers. Seems to works perfectly for their style but I would never want to hear them play something by Chopin. Just my take and perhaps they wouldn't want to play Chopin either.

rada

love their music!
Posted by: jjo

Re: Elton John or Billy Joel...Who Is A Better Player?? - 05/08/13 04:28 PM

As a composer, I like Elton John better, on the strength of his first 4 or 5 albums. I find Bill Joel's tunes fun, but more generic. The tunes on John's first album, Tumbleweed Connection, Madman Across the Water, etc. show real variety and an incredible melodic feel.

As for their piano playing, I have to erase from my mind the clown Elton John became visually, and once again, I find his playing more powerful. As I've mentioned in another thread, listen to his album 11/17/70. It is a live concert in which he plays with a trio, just piano, bass and drums, which means the piano has to do a lot, and he pulls it off.
Posted by: scorpio

Re: Elton John or Billy Joel...Who Is A Better Player?? - 05/08/13 10:18 PM

Originally Posted By: jjo
It is a live concert in which he plays with a trio, just piano, bass and drums, which means the piano has to do a lot, and he pulls it off.

Elton's next album goes right back the beginning. The Diving Board features just piano, bass and drums, "T Bone Burnett revealed that his being in the audience for Elton's first American shows at The Troubadour in 1970 had motivated him to suggest that Elton do this album with the same core instruments as were in those career-making shows: piano, bass and drums."

The article:
Elton Previews His New Album - On Disc and On Stage