Piece Identification

Posted by: Raiyn

Piece Identification - 07/21/13 12:10 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3-u9Gom3f8

Does anyone know the name of the first piano piece in this video? It's been driving me nuts!
Posted by: Jim Frazee

Re: Piece Identification - 07/21/13 10:25 AM

You should look into an app called Shazam. Among other things, you can identify any (known) song just by playing it while the app is running. Very cool.
Posted by: Jim Frazee

Re: Piece Identification - 07/21/13 10:39 AM

Forgot to say that, alas, Shazam did not recognize this song. But still, give it a try - it's amazing.
Posted by: rada

Re: Piece Identification - 07/21/13 01:37 PM

I never heard it before and I think it is a simple improv.
The beginning sounds a bit like the song from 'the piano' but it isn't that piece. It is simple enough to transcribe.

rada
Posted by: ShiroKuro

Re: Piece Identification - 07/21/13 02:07 PM

Raiyn, looks like you're new to PW, so welcome!!

If you aren't familiar with Michael Nyman's music from the movie The Piano, here are two videos:

The Heart Asks Pleasure First

The Sacrife

They're basically the same, except the Sacrifice is slower and is basically just the main theme (and if you see the score, the Sacrifice is less demanding in terms of the LH part).

Anyway, as Rada said, the video you posted does sound a lot of Nyman's music, someone who knows more about chords can talk about why that is, but you should be able to figure out what's being played in the Roland video just by looking at the hands. Or, you could find the score for the Nyman pieces I linked and play one of those, since they are more complete pieces of music. (both should be available through SheetMusicPlus.com or SheetMusicDirect)

smile
Posted by: Raiyn

Re: Piece Identification - 07/21/13 05:00 PM

Thanks for the help everyone!I'm aware of Shazam's existence, but like you, I also failed at having it recognizes so I thought I would post here.

Originally Posted By: ShiroKuro
Raiyn, looks like you're new to PW, so welcome!!
Anyway, as Rada said, the video you posted does sound a lot of Nyman's music, someone who knows more about chords can talk about why that is, but you should be able to figure out what's being played in the Roland video just by looking at the hands. Or, you could find the score for the Nyman pieces I linked and play one of those, since they are more complete pieces of music. (both should be available through SheetMusicPlus.com or SheetMusicDirect)

smile

Thank you for the welcome! Yea, I can definitely replicate what was played in the video, I was just hoping that there was more to it than that. Thanks for the links btw, seems like I have some new stuff to look into! smile