Piano World Home Page
Posted By: gracegren iRealPro Question for Jazz Pianists - 04/13/15 01:27 AM
I noticed that iRealPro has a piano feature that can be purchased that will lay out the voicings of the piano comping on iRealPro, and give choices, plus allow editing. Thought this might be a good practice tool, but do not have to follow any of the voicing patterns generated on iRealPro. Maybe the voicings need to be jazzed up more. I recently found Jazz Piano Voicings by Rob Mullins that gives patterns and exercises for many jazzy voicings than those presented in basic method books that I would also want to practice with the iRealPro tracks.

Was just curious what you think of the comping on these tracks? Yes, it is always best to listen to original recordings, but I am foremost at the stage where I need to get my comping patterns learned.

Here is a youtube video that explains the piano functions in iRealPro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlXj02wDFNE
Posted By: jjo Re: iRealPro Question for Jazz Pianists - 04/13/15 02:32 PM
That an interesting feature of IRealPro. It must be on a more recent version because I don't have it. I can't comment on the piano voicings because I always have them turned off when I use IRealPro.

I would, however, offer this suggestion. There are many voicings to use when comping, and the most important thing is not which one you pick, but that you pick one and only one and stick to it. Compings need to become second nature so you hardly have to think about them. The best way to begin is to pick one way to comp and learn it in all 12 keys. Later, when you have one voicing under your belt, you can think of adding some variation to your repertoire. At least that's the way I was taught!

Also, there are two types of comping: left hand, for your solos, and both hands, for playing in a band. Whether you learn one or both depends on what environment you intend to play in.
Posted By: gracegren Re: iRealPro Question for Jazz Pianists - 04/13/15 02:46 PM
Thanks, jjo. Good info. The good thing is that I do have one basic comping pattern in 12 keys just about to the point of not thinking about it.

FYI, iRealPro offers free updates at this time. There are some nice, new features.
Posted By: knotty Re: iRealPro Question for Jazz Pianists - 04/16/15 01:33 PM
I will suggest a different approach which is to think it terms of scales and voices rather than chords and voicings for your left hand.
Learning voicings in 12 keys is great, because it will teach you to hang on any tune.
But it is a very contrived way to play and think musically. It is also inadequate for solo piano.
It's something you want to get away from asap.

Posted By: dmd Re: iRealPro Question for Jazz Pianists - 04/24/15 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by knotty
I will suggest a different approach which is to think it terms of scales and voices rather than chords and voicings for your left hand.

Could you elaborate a little on what you mean by this ?

For example ... Georgia, On My Mind ....

Begins with Fmaj7, E-7b5, A7, D-, D-/C ...

Fmaj7 ... F major scale ... understand ...

So ... thinking about voices ... what are you thinking ?

© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums