Boxing workout incompatible with piano?

Posted by: unmanifested

Boxing workout incompatible with piano? - 01/28/05 11:18 AM

Hello, I like to exercise by hitting a heavy punching bag. I wear hand wraps and gloves. Do you think that this could be detrimental to piano playing? I'd hate to give it up because it's such a great workout. Many thanks.
Posted by: mound

Re: Boxing workout incompatible with piano? - 01/28/05 11:46 AM

I am a blackbelt in Taekwondo, and I go to class 3 or 4 times a week, doing full contact sparring with no gloves..

I have sprained my thumb and ended up with swollen purple joints too many times (though not in quite some time) - in the long run, yes, this isn't good, but it just makes me more cogniscent of not injuring them. The benefits outweigh the risks though, I don't rely on piano for money. If I had to choose one over the other, I'd choose piano and switch to a martial art that doesn't pose such a threat.. Taekwondo is 90% foot work anyway. As far as hitting the bag with gloves on, I don't see how that is going to cause you any problems (but I'm no doctor!)

-Paul
Posted by: ivorythumper

Re: Boxing workout incompatible with piano? - 01/28/05 04:23 PM

I train in kyokushin and have had to learned the keep my thumbs tucked when I punch.

If your hands aren't hurting and you aren't losing dexterity, I don't see a problem, but your hands will tell you if they are getting damaged.
Posted by: gregjazz

Re: Boxing workout incompatible with piano? - 01/28/05 06:37 PM

Quote:

If your hands aren't hurting and you aren't losing dexterity, I don't see a problem, but your hands will tell you if they are getting damaged. [/QB]
I think that just about sums it up.

As a musician, you have to learn to protect your hands and wrists. That's your career right there, so make sure you keep them healthy. \:\)
Posted by: SteveY

Re: Boxing workout incompatible with piano? - 01/29/05 07:43 AM

Quote:
Hello, I like to exercise by hitting a heavy punching bag. I wear hand wraps and gloves. Do you think that this could be detrimental to piano playing?
Only if the bag hits back!!! ;\)
Posted by: apple*

Re: Boxing workout incompatible with piano? - 01/29/05 07:53 AM

i really hurt my hands in my youth.. I was a gymnast, played raquetball, volleyball, hand ball. I wish I hadn't. My hands are ok but they could be better definitely. Your injuries stay with you though they appear to heal and function in youth.