Big Band piano players members?

Posted by: 193866

Big Band piano players members? - 07/06/07 02:45 PM

Hello... Wondering if anyone else enjoys Big Band improv? Do you play this style of music on the piano too? My favorite to improv from fake sheets. Input? Am I the only old timer? I am 68 years young. My dad was a pro, Society Band, for years, the sax, in Washington DC... his home city.The 1920's and 1930's...Sandy B
Posted by: jotur

Re: Big Band piano players members? - 07/06/07 02:56 PM

Sandy - I love this style of piano. And I'm a beginning old-timer - I'm 61. And a half.

The band I'm in (really just a bunch of musicians who get together to jam once a week) plays Tuxedo Junction, but I can't really say we play it in the style of the big bands \:D We have a good time, tho!

Cathy
Posted by: Johnny-Boy

Re: Big Band piano players members? - 07/06/07 04:38 PM

Where's the beef? I mean link???

John

Re: Big Band piano players members? - 07/06/07 04:40 PM

Dear Cathy, That is great to hear and I am very pleased to meet you. Do you play by ear? Do you read music? I read your profile. I wonder will you please share with us the instruments of your band and information . Sounds inspirational to me. I would love to form a band of locals too. You have inspired me. Sandy B

Re: Big Band piano players members? - 07/06/07 05:48 PM

Where's the link to your music Sandra?

John

Re: Big Band piano players members? - 07/06/07 06:10 PM

Dear John, Hello John...I do not know what you are asking. A recording of my playing? I do not have one here. Sandy B

Re: Big Band piano players members? - 07/06/07 07:57 PM

My mistake. I thought Cathy was listening to your music.

John

Re: Big Band piano players members? - 07/06/07 09:18 PM

Oh, I see why you'd think that, John - sorry.

The "band" I play with consists of whoever shows up from among 5 or 6 fiddles, a mandolinist, a whistler/percussionist, a percussionist/guitarist, a couple of other guitarists, a couple of piano-accordionists, and anyone else that walks in the door. Our bread and butter are jigs/reels/old-time and anything we can play for a contra dance or Scottish country dancing, but since we all have other loves too we work them in for the (very) occasional wedding/coffee house/graduation party of friends. Tuxedo Junction is our token Glenn Miller piece \:\)

Cathy

Re: Big Band piano players members? - 07/06/07 09:26 PM

Oh, and the other question. I am trying to break the habit of having sheet music around - aaarrghhh! I can pick up melodies by ear, but playing harmony by ear the second or third time I hear someone else playing melody is harder for me. If I'm going to do something that sounds sort of like "improv" when we're doing a gig it's very carefully rehearsed! (some jazz guy recommended that. . .) I do improvise syncopated rhythms if I'm doing only back up, and a little filler higher up the scale.

Cathy

Re: Big Band piano players members? - 07/07/07 01:09 PM

Dear Cathy, Thank you again for your input. I enjoyed reading your posts very much. Anyone else enjoy Big Band improv ? I so admire you for the band and adding quality of life to your community too. Sandy B