Layla piano section

Posted by: Hooah

Layla piano section - 01/03/06 02:56 AM

Anyone know the chord sequence to the piano sequence in Eric Clapton's "Layla"?? If not, are there any internet sites that have piano arrangements?
Posted by: jasperkeys

Re: Layla piano section - 01/03/06 11:28 AM

Yes, as a matter of fact there is what appears to be a very meticulous transcription on this website: http://www.freepianosheets.com/sheets.htm
Posted by: hugo

Re: Layla piano section - 01/03/06 01:24 PM

Nice site; thanks for pointing it out jasper

Re: Layla piano section - 01/03/06 03:27 PM

You're very welcome.
Posted by: JoshuaD

Re: Layla piano section - 01/07/06 02:50 AM

Freepianosheets.com is an awesome website. I've been trying to contribute there to get it going more. If you guys got some sheets be sure to submit them!
Posted by: ivorythumper

Re: Layla piano section - 01/12/06 09:53 PM

Hooah:

Layla coda is one of my favorite rock piano pieces -- it is so joyous to play. I had the same search and found the Tragg transcript as well -- it's great fun! Enjoy.
Posted by: scatterbrain

Re: Layla piano section - 02/28/06 04:08 AM

wow! i'm in shock that this kind of stuff exists! it's great because i've always had trouble w/ timing and that site helps out enormously. now if something like this exists, is there something out there that shows proper placement of which fingers to use for what keys/notes?

Re: Layla piano section - 02/28/06 10:09 AM

It's a wonderful site. I downloaded 'Layla' and began to learn it when I thought I'd better go back and check the recording. As I began to hear the recording I realized that the website transcription was his interpretation of the song although it was a very good one. I took out my mp3 player (with the A-B function) and began to transcribe the music a little closer to the recording so this is my current 'project'. I hate having to unlearn things. What made this song a mite difficult to learn was that the tuning for this song was a little 'sharp'. The sound engineer had sped the recording tapes up just a little after the original recording was done hence our current difficulty. I took the recording and using a transcribing program tuned the recording the best I could to standard 'A'440. I'm still working on this song during my spare time. Good song.
Posted by: scatterbrain

Re: Layla piano section - 02/28/06 07:43 PM

this is a nice transcription; definitely no cake walk! is the original piano transcriptino of "layla" just as difficult as this one? or is it easier?
Posted by: kokomo61

Re: Layla piano section - 02/28/06 10:24 PM

Layla is one of those songs that is complete unto itself - Like "Good Vibrations", it's essentially a modern mini-symphony.

The album's story is as full as an entire book - within a year of its recording, Duane Allman had been killed in a motorcycle accident, and Clapton had fallen into a heroin-fueled depression. Jim Gordon, (the drummer on the album who composed and played the piano coda)developed schizophrenia, and in 1983, was convicted of killing his mother, thinking she was a demon. He's currently serving a life sentence in a California prison, spending most of his time in the mental hospital.

There's a great film out there - You should watch the DVD Tom Dowd and the Language of Music [/b] Tom Dowd was a recording engineer for some of the best music of the last half of the 20th century, and his story is very moving. For the movie, he re-mixes the original master tapes of "Layla", and gives a full history of the song and its creation. It's one of the best movies I've seen in years.

For a sneak peek, here's the trailer:

Language of Music Trailer
Posted by: Monica K.

Re: Layla piano section - 02/28/06 10:50 PM

Interesting stuff, kokomo61! Thanks for pointing out that film; I had never heard of it but will look it up.

You didn't mention that "Layla" itself was written for George Harrison's wife, with whom Clapton was desperately in love...which adds to the dramatic story of the album.
Posted by: SteveY

Re: Layla piano section - 03/01/06 09:30 AM

Quote:
this is a nice transcription
Somebody needs to teach that guy how to write rhythms.

Re: Layla piano section - 03/01/06 09:36 AM

[QUOTE] this is a nice transcription; definitely no cake walk! is the original piano transcriptino of "layla" just as difficult as this one? or is it easier? [/b] ]

I don't know of an original transcription although I did see a transcription of the song in a magazine called 'Guitar World' I think. This particular transcription broke down the all the different guitar parts, bass part and I think the piano part to be played on the guitar. I used to have this magazine and I tore the house apart trying to find it again to help me but to no avail. I saw the magazine on Ebay when I looked for 'guitar Layla' and it was about $10.00 for the back issue. I decided to keep the $10.00 and try transcribing it myself with some help from the Tragg version. You know, I think the reason I want to play is because I know so many people will get a kick out of it as its a very recognizable piece of music. Very nice. Anyway, you're right: definitely no cakewalk at least for me.
Posted by: NmbrNine

Re: Layla piano section - 03/07/06 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Monica Kern:
Interesting stuff, kokomo61! Thanks for pointing out that film; I had never heard of it but will look it up.

You didn't mention that "Layla" itself was written for George Harrison's wife, with whom Clapton was desperately in love...which adds to the dramatic story of the album. [/b]
...and I believe Clapton wrote "Wonderful Tonight" after he'd won her affection.
But I could be wrong.

Re: Layla piano section - 03/07/06 02:56 AM

...and as a kid back in the early eighties I taught myself the Layla piano coda note-for-note (by ear) on my parents' 1930s Krakauer upright...

Thanks to a sub-par cassette recording and the horridly out of tune piano, I learned to play it in the key of C...and soon discovered it was actually written and recorded a half-step higher.

D'oh!!!

Re: Layla piano section - 03/07/06 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by NmbrNine:
Thanks to a sub-par cassette recording and the horridly out of tune piano, I learned to play it in the key of C...and soon discovered it was actually written and recorded a half-step higher.

D'oh!!! [/b]
Don't worry about it - it's actually written and played in C - it's just the tape speed was different, making it awfully hard to play along with an original recording....

Re: Layla piano section - 03/07/06 07:14 PM

Well then all's well!!!

Thanks for clearing that up for me...after 20+ years, no less!!!

Re: Layla piano section - 03/07/06 09:42 PM

Quote:
Well then all's well!!!

Thanks for clearing that up for me...after 20+ years, no less!!! [/b]
I'll go one step further - I have to make another plug for the movie "Tom Dowd and the Language of Music." One section of the movie has Tom re-mixing the song "Layla" from the original master tapes, and explaining why he did what he did.....

Here's another link to a clip:

Language of Music video clip
Posted by: AJB

Re: Layla piano section - 03/08/06 06:28 AM

Another intersting snippet is that many people believe that the very famous guitar riff at the beginning of Layla was actually written by Duane Allman not Eric Clapton. (Duane also played the slide guitar part of course).

Kind regards

Adrian

Re: Layla piano section - 03/08/06 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kokomo61:
 Quote:
Well then all's well!!!

Thanks for clearing that up for me...after 20+ years, no less!!! [/b]
I'll go one step further - I have to make another plug for the movie "Tom Dowd and the Language of Music." One section of the movie has Tom re-mixing the song "Layla" from the original master tapes, and explaining why he did what he did.....

Here's another link to a clip:

Language of Music video clip [/b]
WOW! I've gotta see that!!

Thanks for the plug, and the link.
Posted by: Joe22c

Re: Layla piano section - 02/18/07 01:40 PM

Ahh I wish I found that earlier.

I already did a cover of the Layla coda on Youtube though, come check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoWoiteNV5U
Posted by: Monica K.

Re: Layla piano section - 02/18/07 02:07 PM

Good job, Joe, and welcome to the forum!
Posted by: Joe22c

Re: Layla piano section - 02/18/07 02:11 PM

Hey thanks =)

I quite at age 11 in level 6, and now I'm restarting w/o a teacher at age 17.
Posted by: lungfish

Re: Layla piano section - 02/18/07 03:00 PM

thanks a mill for that movie link Koko.
and jasper for the site link.
i'd never heard about it until now.
good stuff.
Posted by: thegreatchinaman

Re: Layla piano section - 07/04/07 12:34 AM

hey jasper would you mind sending me your "project" when you're done? i'd really like an accurate version for the coda and i've been searching for ages for one.
thanks

Re: Layla piano section - 07/09/07 04:49 PM

I sure can, thegreatchinaman. I will send you a private message so I can email you. This piece of music is something I never completed but I will give you what I have. Thanks for your interest.
Posted by: fingofongo

Re: Layla piano section - 07/14/07 10:20 PM

hey nice cover joe.

I'm taking IB too lol. And I doubt I'll get 6's either

and when did that movie come out? i've never heard of it before.
Posted by: Callum

Re: Layla piano section - 02/10/10 02:48 AM

Would you be able to send me your project as well
I wish to play the song for a music exam in school and would like the accurate version
thanks

Re: Layla piano section - 02/10/10 11:46 AM

Yes, I sure can. Please check your PM.
Posted by: R0B

Re: Layla piano section - 02/11/10 09:49 AM

For me, the 'unplugged' version, is well suited to piano, or acoustic guitar. I enjoy playing this on either instrument.

It is in Dm, by the way.

Beginning chords are: Dm Bb C Dm
Happy to supply the rest on request smile

Apologies! After re-reading the thread, I realised that it was the Coda to the original version, that the OP was asking about.

Please ignore my errant post blush