Who is the best current new age pianist?

Posted by: keithmusic

Who is the best current new age pianist? - 01/25/08 05:05 PM

There are so many pianists promoting these days, some very successful notable ones, and some very talented lesser knowns that I'm fans of. Everyone has their favorites, but who does everyone vote for as being the best and why?
Posted by: Danny Niklas

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 01/25/08 05:55 PM

I would vote for George Winston \:\)
Posted by: Disciple

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 01/25/08 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by keithmusic:
There are so many pianists promoting these days, some very successful notable ones, and some very talented lesser knowns that I'm fans of. Everyone has their favorites, but who does everyone vote for as being the best and why? [/b]
Keith Jarrett.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jzqMJWlKMsY

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 01/25/08 11:26 PM

I've been given Keith Jarrett's music before from a friend. People really get addicted to him. And it's hard to top George Winston too.
Posted by: johnnymb

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 01/26/08 10:23 PM

I don't particularly like the genre name "new age", makes it sound like if you like the music you're a star worshipper or something. That being said, this type of music is by far my favorite. I've never been much into classical although my teacher before too long will have something to say about that. I know that classical is a rite of passage in learning the piano, I've only been playing for 8 months. I have not heard of Keith Jarrett, I will check him out, Winston of course. However my runaway favorite is Danny Wright www.dannywright.com also very good is David Lanz www.davidlanz.com
and Kevin Kern www.kevinkern.com (legally blind)
also Taiwanese pianist Mia Jang released a few CD's a while back, I have one it is excellent (Sweet Dreams) don't know what she's doing now. And of course Jim Brickman but he's so mainstream now and not considered new age. Danny Wright's music is so introspective, thought provoking, positive and beautiful. He plays much on the higher scales, I always am telling my son, "someday you're going to play like Danny". How awesome that would be.

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 01/26/08 10:29 PM

Quote:
I've been given Keith Jarrett's music before from a friend. People really get addicted to him. And it's hard to top George Winston too. [/b]
Keith is by far the world's number 1 improvising pianist, and a complete pianist as well. He does it all. Here's Keith on some straight ahead jazz:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HDeJP6DgNbo

The exceptional thing about his playing is that he picked a tune with a chord pattern that has a tendency to lock you into certain circle of fifth melodic configurations and yet he completely avoids cliches and patterns because he is spontaneously creating.

Like Tristano, his lines were not more by product of hand than mind. He has just as much technique as Peterson and Tatum, yet chooses to play flurries of notes only when integrally part of his melodic stretches, not because it's time to revert to pattern 1, pattern 2, pattern 3, etc.

In other words, his playing is free from needless embellishment that most improvising musicians must fill their lines with like using hamburger helper and breadcrumbs to make 1/4 of meat into a 1 pound meatloaf.

This is why his lines are so unique, the product of his mind, not his technical training. Though he's covering a tune in the same style that Bud Powell, Herbie Hancock, McCoy Tyner, Billy Taylor, Oscar Peterson or any other piano jazz great has covered thousands of times, his playing sounds like none of these artists at any time because he is always playing well within the headroom of his technical capabilities and is completely relaxed translating within the zone of his flow, playing in the moment.

This sets Keith far apart from the majority of improvising pianists and he's the best there is.

99% of what Oscar played, though fantastic in its own right, has its origins in either Art Tatum, practice, or muscle memorization.

Keith is always in the moment, always INSTANTLY composing, and that's true whether he's playin be-bop, one of his classical, orchestral pieces, pipe organ, or new age.

Of interest, he is scatting everything he's playing, and though not a singer, doing so with precise accuracy!! How's that for hearing what you play?
Posted by: ktom

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 01/27/08 12:21 PM

Hi disciple - thanks for this post - some of your posts verge on the metaphysical (not that theres anything wrong with that) but this analysis of KJ has helped me make sense of why I find his playing so interesting.. Ta! :-)
Posted by: Pee-anno

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 01/27/08 12:44 PM

Mark Joggerst, Philip Glass and Michael Nymann are three of mine.

Thanks for the links!

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 01/27/08 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ktom:
Hi disciple - thanks for this post - some of your posts verge on the metaphysical (not that theres anything wrong with that) but this analysis of KJ has helped me make sense of why I find his playing so interesting.. Ta! :-) [/b]
True improvisation involves processes that are equally psychological and musical. To tap the music of YOUR mind, to create something new out of the sum of your experiences, rather than merely replay what youve trained your hands to do, requires introspection of a transcendental level.

Keith is the epitome of this. Watch him as he plays. At times, his lines, directing the feed of what he hears and sings brings him right up out of his seat. There's no stalling, no 'er, 'uhhhh, 'you know what I'm saying', or stammering, or needless embellishments interjected while trying to figure what to play next, there's total communion with the sound he's hearing, then producing that transcends his hands and the instrument.

Keith is the epitome of what I'm referring to when I've said that when you're playing in the moment, in your zone, one gets the feeling that if you were to STOP playing, the music would still continue on its own. In reality, when I stop, the music DOES continue, because it's alive in me and always there. I just translate it at any particular time when I sit at the piano and JOIN the flow so others can hear what I hear.

This is very true of Keith's playing.

By comparison, here's a very good jazz musician, but not a brilliant improvisor. EVERYTHING she plays is repeated over and over, even her bass lines are quite static, and although she's good at what she does, her lines are quite uninspired and the byproduct of standard, watered down Jimmy Smith lines, a few Charlie Parkers, a couple of Joey DeFrancescos, and a few 1950s Coltranes to boot. Everything everybody's heard before. Listen to the difference between this and Keith's All the Things you Are as far as playing in the moment. It's all just potatos with a little meat on the side:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=60ut7yIuCEY
Posted by: rintincop

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 01/27/08 04:51 PM

I think this player is the best new age pianist:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de9aSShl0CM

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 01/28/08 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rintincop:
I think this player is the best new age pianist:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de9aSShl0CM [/b]
That's quite an amalgamation!

25% Oscar
25% Ahmad Jamal/Mal Waldron (12.5% each)
25% Ramsey Lewis
25% Richard Tee

Did you catch that? Where is he in the mix? I don't hear him.

No McCoy? I was waiting for him to throw in some quartal comping and pentatonics. Sensibly, he left McCoy out of the Blues/Gospel-Jazz mix.
Posted by: Euan Morrison

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 01/28/08 04:35 AM

I like Ludovico Einaudi - his pieces are soothing and melodic.
Posted by: Monica K.

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 01/28/08 09:10 AM

I agree with Euan; I have a very soft spot in my heart for Einaudi, and he is my personal favorite composer. I do recognize, though, that his works can be somewhat repetitive and simple. Which is why I like to play them. \:\)

I agree that Keith Jarrett has produced some technical masterpieces, and when you take into account that a lot (most? all?) of his work is improvisation, it makes your jaw drop. The Koln Concert is sheer genius, imo.

But my problem with Jarrett is that I like some of his work but find other pieces too frenetic and lacking in melody for my taste. I actually wouldn't call him a new age artist; he's more jazz.

So, if I could only name one individual, George Winston might end up winning my vote as "best new age pianist" in terms of technical skill and compositional ability, not to mention the instrumental role he played in establishing the genre.
Posted by: Ragnhild

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 01/28/08 09:28 AM

I don't know what the term "new age" means, but my favourite not classical pianist is this man :

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HxuiWYPp6bw&feature=related

Ragnhild
Posted by: asherf

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 01/28/08 01:10 PM

William Joseph and Maksim Mrvica. The later would appear much greater without the weird background music. but his new album will be just piano.
Posted by: Mr_Kitty

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 01/28/08 01:24 PM

Wouldn't Keith Jarrett object to being called a "new age pianist"?
Isn't new age like Yanni?
How can you compare Keith Jarrett to George Winston?
Posted by: Sir Lurksalot

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 01/28/08 02:30 PM

I'm quite sure that Keith Jarrett would rather place his head inside the piano and knock out the prop stick than be labeled a "New Age Pianist."

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 01/28/08 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Monica K.:
[QB] I actually wouldn't call him a new age artist; he's more jazz.

This is true. His improvs embrace and combine categories. One album can sound almost orcehstral-classical,like Arbour Zena (which I believe is his crowning masterpiece), then the next, more what some might deem New Age, like Koln Concert, then jazz, a trio ("Shades") that sounds like a cross between Weather Report (fusion) and straight ahead bebop, then interject a pipe organ album that sounds like a cross between Bach and William Bolcomb, yet all uniquely his own music. Jarrett's music crosses many lines and it's always inspiredly original.
Posted by: lizzy's dad

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 01/29/08 12:23 AM

Sorry folks.

I guess I never heard of Mr. Jarrett.

What a revelation! Man, is he HOT! Where have I been?

Disciple … thank you, thank you, thank you...

Guys, I had to acknowledge this. Personally, I can't stand "New Age"...

Please go back to the topic...

l’s dad \:\)

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 01/29/08 12:52 AM

Here is another video from the greatest new age pianist ever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i95K987oWeY

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 01/29/08 11:12 AM

Hello all!
I had formed in my mind that the "new age" category for piano or other instruments dealt mostly with the major scale or related scales (major pentatonic, minor pentatonic, and perhaps someone is making use of the modes in a stepwise melody frame of mind. My examples have been George Winston, David Lanz, Jim Brickman, and the like. Of course even George doesn't like the term "new age". He considers himself a folk pianist.
If I hear jazz chords or blues licks I immediately think of jazz, blues, or one of the many evolved styles within jazz. Leaving open the idea that styles can merge and take influences from other styles.
Would it be appropriate to say Keith Jarrett is more jazz than new age (for new age I think of relaxing music for spa or meditation)? I ask because I'm in learning mode and not as familiar with all of Keith Jarrett's work as other composers.
I've heard the term "pop piano" and like George's use of the term "folk piano". How about "jazz/pop piano"? I'd like to think one day new descriptors would be more prominent to help up describe what at times we may have had trouble describing. Jazz seems to have broken out substyle names quite nicely, though I'm no expert about jazz.

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 01/29/08 11:27 AM

Just to clarify a bit about Jarrett for those who aren’t too familiar with him…

Keith Jarrett has at least three distinct musical incarnations, which are virtually unrecognizable from each other:

1)Classical pianist. He has recorded Bach, Mozart, and Shostakovich

2)Jazz trio. He’s made dozens of recordings (mostly standards) with Gary Peacock and Jack DeJohnette. These recordings comprise the bulk of his output over the last twenty years.

3)Improvised solo concerts. The 1975 Koln Concert is reportedly the best-selling jazz piano album ever. The earlier Bremen/Lausanne record was the Record of the Year in multiple publications, from Time Magazine to Stereo Review. These concerts generate the majority of the most-devoted Jarrett followers, and certain passages probably result in the occasional appearance of the term “new age” in connection with his name.

He has also recorded a number of studio albums, from solo piano, organ and soprano sax to original orchestral scores

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 01/29/08 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Lurksalot:
I'm quite sure that Keith Jarrett would rather place his head inside the piano and knock out the prop stick than be labeled a "New Age Pianist." [/b]
:D \:D This is the funniest post I've read on the forum in months.

Agreed: Keith Jarrett is a JAZZ pianist, not a new age pianist.

It sure does show how much that "new age" label sucks when even the people who are legitimate new age artists go to great lengths to deny the label. Even Brickman prefers to call his music "romantic piano." David Nevue prefers "neoclassical" or simply "solo piano."

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 01/29/08 01:07 PM

Thanks Monica,

Just to be clear, my post was not intended to denigrate new age music. It was meant to emphasize that Jarrett is an extremely strong-minded, often abrasive and egotistical jazz purist. Based on many of his interviews and writings, I would hate to use that term in his presence.

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 01/29/08 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Lurksalot:
2)Jazz trio. He’s made dozens of recordings (mostly standards) with Gary Peacock and Jack DeJohnette. These recordings comprise the bulk of his output over the last twenty years.

His recordings with Charlie Haden (bass) and Paul Motion (perc.) are in my opinion, his finest trio work.

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 01/29/08 04:43 PM

Monica-
what's your definition of a legitimate new age artist?

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 01/29/08 06:34 PM

New Age is such a broad and confusing term.
For sure as popular music was growing and spreading it has been that kind of recovered "awareness" in misticism, naturalism and non-religious spiritualism which has allowed the melodic slow soothing music without lyrics to resurface. So this is why that kind of music is nowadays called like the social movement that triggered it. The term is not that wrong in that New Age purpose is to soothe, relax, allow introspection and meditation. Each style of music has its own social context and that of New Age music is indeed a New Age context. For example you wouldn't listen to New Age music at a party, or disco, or at the bar while having lively conversations or while cleansing the house.

I think the mistake is to label whatever melodic smooth lyrics-free piece of music as New Age even when the piece itself lacks the soothing, relaxing and meditating characteristics or in case the style is more rhythmic and lively a more introspective, spiritual, naturalistic or fantasy content required to call it a New Age piece.

A "typical" New Age sounds like this:

The Fairy Ring

I like Edward Weiss explanation:

If you’re unfamiliar with the term, you might be thinking this is some sort of mystical, crystal gazing style only a few robed gurus ever bother to study and play. Well let me set the record straight: Nothing could be further from the truth!

New Age Music is gentle, melodic, and inspirational. It’s a music that relaxes the soul and rejuvenates the spirit – a journey of notes leading into a joyous mystery. The type of style that just begs to be composed and improvised

I'd like to add that New Age is the style closer than any other to classic music. The reason is that no other style nowadays deals with the the descriptive and spiritual role that so much of classical music had. In the past what we know as classical music would be used, among other things, to describe the beauty of nature, to paint wonderful landscapes with the colors of sounds, to tell profecies, myths and legends, to speak of fantasy creatures and fantasy places, to meditate introspectively and to express a deep spirituality. Only New Age nowadays takes advantage of music to express these ideas and sensations.
Posted by: SPC001

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 01/29/08 07:49 PM

So far I am seeing comtemporary jazz pianists. New age pianists for my voting should be Suzanne Ciani:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uykdt3nq7SQ&feature=related

Yiruma:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4kL9holdqw

and Yuhki Kuramoto:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYUGkB5w1SE

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 01/29/08 08:19 PM

Danny-thank you for that wonderful description of New Age music.
Yiruma and Kuramoto seem to play well but I cannot say the same for George Winston or Yanni.
I'm not saying their music isn't wonderful all the same... I realize virtuosity is not part of the genre, and I'm not asking it to be. Meh I don't even know what I'm trying to say here.
Was the original question in this thread who is the new age pianist with the most skill? Or was the question who composes the most relazing rejuvinating music? Or was it just who is the most successful new age pianist?

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 01/29/08 08:38 PM

We need to consider that new age pianists are also the composers of their own music. So I think the original question was what new age pianist compose the best music. New age indeed doesn't suit virtuosity and in fact even in classical music virtuosity tended to suit either more dancelike and folk pieces or more dark, strong and tormeted pieces in case of introspective ones. The there is new age which is more minimalist and new age which is a bit more complex.

I think that a good pianist with a good technique and good creativity could compose new age music which shows also technical mastery. Yanni for example is self-taught and doesn't have a formal training in piano. George Winston too is self-taught and took up piano and composition on its own. Yuruma and Ciani on the other hand had a formal training and have degrees in music.
So I think it pretty much reflects other styles of music where you find musicians/composers with different trainings and skills and approached. (John Williams has a degree in piano and composition Danny Elfman is self-taught and took up music in later age)

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 01/29/08 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr_Kitty:
Monica-
what's your definition of a legitimate new age artist? [/b]
Jeepers... beats me, Mr_Kitty. \:D And it's not for lack of effort, because this is the genre I love the most and am constantly having to define it for people.

Do you remember that three page "classical vs. nonclassical" piano thread that Sam started some time back? It dealt essentially with this question of "what is new age?" I was able to offer at best the exceedingly lame definition that new age was (a) music written in the past 20 years or so that (b) stressed strong melodies and (c) tended to be on the slow side. I realize that definition is completely inadequate, but I don't think anybody came up with a better one in that thread.

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 01/29/08 10:56 PM

p.s. You really don't think George Winston plays well? You have high standards indeed. ;\)

Hmmm.. well how about Jon Schmidt for technical skill? Or Dax Johnson? He died at the age of 30 before YouTube really took off, so there's not many good examples of his playing on there, but here\'s one piece , though I don't think it's his best work.

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 01/29/08 11:22 PM

My standard for technical skill would be Claire Huangci. I don't think George Winston has mastery over the piano on the same level as Claire Huangci. I would hesitate to even say he has 1/100th of her technical skill.
all repertoire choice aside here. I'm talking sheer ability to play the instrument.
Plenty of jazz pianists have oodles and oodles of technical ability, but all of these new age guys sound like hacks who haven't put in their ten thousand hours of practicing. I realize that even scales, rapid octaves, legato 3rds, 6ths, and double note trills are not needed in the new age genre... But I would much rather see someone who HAS the skill play New Age rather than well.... Yanni and George Winston.
When I watch them play on video it always seems that they can barely play their own music(which is VERY simple pianistically).
Call me an elitist snob or whatever... I just like watching a pianist of whatever genre demonstrate absolute mastery over their instrument.

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 01/29/08 11:33 PM

Apologies in advance to Mr. Kitty. George certainly has control of tone and expression far ahead of the not well known new age pianists out there. He records on a Steinway concert grand and tonally has no weakness. A full rich expressive tone is all you can hope to get out of any piano. He is rhythmically dead on. You also have to understand that he has sold 10 million records (probably tops for all new age pianists) as Yanni has sold 20 million. Yanni of course is a marketing package but George did it on solo piano alone. Neither play like Ashkenazy or Horowitz but few aim to or are able to. Some of the world's top orchestral players will tell you you can do more with 10 notes sometimes than with 10,000.
Jon Schmidt is an exciting pianist. His pieces aren't technically thick like classical music but he plays them loud and fast with lots of power and it's fun to watch and takes alot of effort to match his energy.
I am not as familiar with Yiruma and Kuramoto but they sound like wonderful pianists.

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 01/29/08 11:43 PM

I like to think of New Age as music played softly and slowing in a healing way. I realize that not all new age music is like that. The slow/soft type of music gets used in holistic healing circles naturally. For me, classically trained, it's taken a few years to move (and even want to) from classical chops and playing loudly in church to getting a consistently soft and peaceful tone. The players that aren't classically trained have a head start possibly since as mentioned massive technique is not required but to work in a softer thinner landscape.

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 01/29/08 11:58 PM

Wow, Claire Huangci is incredible. Thanks for sharing! I too wish New Age had something on her playing level, but perhaps if it was attempted people would call it something else. I have noticed that one aspect of new age is to set down a relaxing mood and try to keep the listener in that mood withoug mentally being roused or awaken. Anything faster or louder could break that mood. Of course new age umbrellas a broad spectrum of musicians. One aim I have sought in composing new age is to play slow enough that automatic relaxation and deep breathing occurs just from listening. I think Enya and 2000 (2002music.com) achieve some of this. It's sought to an extent in massage/spa circles as a functional attribute. George Winston and Jim Brickman don't define themselves this way but they also consider themselves to be a folk pianist/romantic pianist respectively.

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 01/30/08 12:54 AM

This here is some neat new age piano playing:

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 01/30/08 02:09 AM

This video has to be considered jazz. It was performed it appears at the 1976 Montreux Jazz Festival. It consists of jazz rhythms and blues/jazz licks and uses rapid 16th and 32nd notes and patterns, triplets, two handed unison playing, a hallmark of Oscar Peterson, used thoroughly in jazz styles. New Age piano has used more flowing 8th notes, sometimes 16ths, much less complex rhythms, simpler ballad style melodies. Blues licks are rare. The 150 pianists listed at solopianopublications.com should give a nice overview of what's currently thought of as new age piano. Hope that helps.

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 01/30/08 03:46 AM

New Age = Yanni = Music to ease the fears of the claustrophobic in elevators... \:D

Again...sorry for the personal bias.

Continue on, this is really good reading, since most of the discuss in really bent around jazz piano.

I promise not to interject again. Two thumbs up

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 01/30/08 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lizzy's dad:
New Age = Yanni = Music to ease the fears of the claustrophobic in elevators... \:D
[/b]
Not that's ambient \:\)
Again unfortunately because in my opinion ambient music has much to offer than just background.

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 01/30/08 12:05 PM

lizzy's dad hit the nail ON the head.

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 01/30/08 12:24 PM

I am enjoying lizzy's dad's input as he really is truly hilarious. Honestly. But elevators is such a limited place to present music, don't you think? Granted, the new age genre/category is a small one in the overall music industry, only 1%, but does account for 100 million records sold so far. And there is comraderie among musicians b/c its not cut throat competition as in the higher demand genres. And I would think many new age artists don't mind the elevator label, since that would mean their music is being used in a functional setting, which is a good goal for a composer.
I also wish I was a cutting edge contemporary composer 100 years ahead of the mainstream, but I don't pretend ever to be a musical genius with that type of ability, just a present day contributor of soft music that people use in their everyday lives.
On a different note participating in these posts is a good way to rekindle one's love for classical music, as people here care about great music and that is inspiring.
Posted by: dannac

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 01/31/08 09:28 AM

How about Tom Howard ... (Serenity)
Posted by: Dave Ferris

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 02/01/08 06:32 PM

You think Keith Jarrett got p..ssed about the flash photography at the Umbria Jazz Festival last year? Try calling him a "New Age Pianist" to his face.

Best New Age Pianist? That's like saying "Rap Artist" or "Alternative Music". (oh, you mean an alternative to music)

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 02/01/08 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by daveferris:
Best New Age Pianist? That's like saying "Rap Artist" or "Alternative Music". (oh, you mean an alternative to music) [/b]
Prejudiced Snob :rolleyes:

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 02/01/08 10:59 PM

It's not about prejudice..... it's just.....
After listening to classical music for x number of years this "new age" stuff sounds a bit.... well.... I'll let you all choose your own adjective.

When you know people with Piano Performance Degrees they got on full scholarship from Julliard who are making 14 dollars an hour working in a piano store it kind of hurts to see people like George Winston selling 10 million albums.

Music is about so much more than tranquility, relaxation, soothing, and way too many consonant harmonies.
And as I said, the pianists, with a few exceptions, are all hacks.

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 02/01/08 11:58 PM

Quote:
It's not about prejudice..... it's just.....
After listening to classical music for x number of years this "new age" stuff sounds a bit.... well.... I'll let you all choose your own adjective.

[/b]
It's just a huge limitation you two have. I'm free from such limiting and destructive limitations and in spite of having career dreams and having spent years in a conservatory I can appreciate every kind of music. I would be disgusted at myself at the thought of being able to appreciate music only when it follows a certain stardand. As if there was just one stardard or just on circumstance or role for music in the world. I have listened classical for years, I have studied classical for years in a conservatory but music is music and when it communicates something I can related with I could care less about how hard, advanced or complex a piece is. That would be ridicolous.

Most composers and pianists treasured simple melodies way more than complex and virtuoso pieces. I don't judge music by their genre, or grade of proficiency required to play or compose it or other hideous nonsense. I judge music by what it conveys to me and I accept the universal fact that just because a certain piece might not convey something to me it does convey something to others.

When I enjoy musical songs I just let go of the pathological judging syndrome and just realize that THAT music has been created in different circumstances, is to be approached in different circumstances, fullfill differents roles and different needs and eschewing from any ridicolous comparison with the classical genre I free myself from the sad impossibility of enjoying something that has a lot to offer to me, even for just a moment.

And the same with pop, country, rock, dance, techno, trance, celtic, electronic, soundtracks, ballads, r'n'b, minimal, blues, break, jungle, goa and so on. There is a lot of music I don't personally like and means nothing to me but I don't allow myself to make broad generalizations about whole genres expecially through an inappropriate comparisons with a completely different genre. It is like claiming that since hamburgers are so tasty and flavourfull we not only don't need/want fish, eggs, veggies, fruits, cheese, water anymore but that we must insult the other food categories and those who consume them.

I don't expecially let myself be corroded by jealousy or resentment. I'm glad if other people can make money doing what they love and if the public buy their work and get something they need and treasure from their work then all the best. This has absolutely nothing to do with educating people to higher-music or training their ear or other heresies. People (like me) choose what capture their interest and this often is unexplainable and just happens. People are way less stupid and unmusical than composers and musicians looking for excuses give them credit for.

Quote:
Music is about so much more than tranquility, relaxation, soothing, and way too many consonant harmonies. [/b]
Music is a lot of things and we can't expect to find all those things within the same genre or song. That's the very reason why different genres and style exist. If it would possible for a singular style and genre express everything that music can express we might have stopped at gregorian chants.

Certain music is for our introspective moments, certain music is for our relaxation moments, certain music is for our reflexive, certain music is for our crazy joy moment, certain music is for our sorrow moments, certain music is for our light moments, certain music is for our adventorous moments, certain music is for our social aggregation moments, certain music is for our dancing moments, certain music is for our venting moments, certain music is for your our silly moment, certain music is for our daydreaming moments, certain music if for own pure entertainment moments.

There's no way a musician who fossilizes in a genre like classical can be considered an overall complete musician. He/she will always be a limited incomplete musicians who has curtailed himself/herself a more global musical knowledge and landscape. None of the masters we worship the composition works of allowed themselves to dislike other genres of music and in fact almost everything in classical is derived from the popular settings and music of a given composer.

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 02/02/08 12:45 AM

Quote:
[QB] It's not about prejudice..... it's just.....
After listening to classical music for x number of years this "new age" stuff sounds a bit....
...Insipid?
...Like a sound machine?
...Sparse?
...Devoid of any meaningful and memorable motivic material and development?
...Harmonically static?
...like most pianists with even limited technique can emulate it easily?

Some new age music may sound about as interesting to an erudite musician as environmental sound, dependent upon your perspective.

We can really draw the same conclusions and feel the same way if we listen to Balinese gong music, Gregorian chant, Philip Glass, etc., etc. on a comparative basis to classical and romantic compositions or cerebral jazz.

Sometimes I really am in the mood to hear something a lot more simple than what I'm used to hearing. I've put on a CD of "Dark Side of the Moon" by Pink Floyd right after playing something that most pianists would need four hands to play! Simple isn't bad, it's just simple.

Of course, in my opinion, I'd rather be able to play complex as well as simple and be a total musician.

I mentioned Jarrett because he's the finest pianist who Ive ever heard play something within a New Age style. He can do it all and it shows within his new age improvising.

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 02/02/08 12:53 AM

New age piano at it's finest:

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 02/02/08 12:57 AM

Quote:

. [/b]
Monty Alexander???

You do know the difference between new age and boogie-woogie/blues/jazz/gospel, right?

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 02/02/08 01:22 AM

Not all but lot of New Age belongs to minimalism.
Minimalism is not lack of ideas but a specific musical philosophy which utilizes certain sonorities and simple harmony for specific stylistic purposes. You might not like it but don't confuse the conscious chosen minimalism with lack of ideas or lack of stylistical talent. I don't have much respect for pianists who show off. Our goal is to express music not to be biased in our piece choices by the drive to show others how technically good we are. It's ridicolous when certain pianist whine that "if I play this they won't know how technically good I can be".

Technique is nothing but a mean of expression.
A real pianist must have the humbleness to express as much music as possible focusing on more important characteristics than the level of mastery needed to play them. That's why there are so many pianists who are able to play a perfect Gaspard de La Nuit but are glad and proud to perform Tchaikovsky Album for the Young as good as they can. Technique is nothing and a pianist is not an show off athlete. Even playing minimalism one can show to be a talented pianist since there's so much musical content even in simple piece and often the simpler they are the harder is to play them convincingly. In fact it's true simple pieces that a pianist can show to be talented rather than just a presumptuous and useless technique machine.
Posted by: Dave Ferris

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 02/02/08 01:34 AM

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 02/02/08 01:40 AM

Quote:
 Quote:
Originally posted by Danny Niklas:Prejudiced Snob :rolleyes:
No just an honest observation from someone whose has been a pro musician, never having a day gig, and played almost every imaginable style for 41 years. Someone who can hear good from bad, jive from substance, pop culture trend from real art, out of tune, canned, garage band, amateur hour, lip synced, processed crap from the real deal. Come back in 30 yrs. and talk to me about music.
I think I'm qualified to voice my opinion here.
[/b]
You're still a snob.
Only snobs have the presumptious to really believe that there are universal standards and that they have the holy key to understand them. You can't hear good from bad because there's no such a thing as good or bad. It just depends on whether we can relate to them and whether they agree with our sensitivity, philosophies, worldview, cultural internalization and perspective and if they don't they certainly will for someone else.
I really hope in 30 years not to become so superficial to really believe that good/bad, ugly/beutiful and fascinating/uninteresting are universal objective standards rather than individually and culturally mediated sensations.
And yours wasn't an opinion, just a shallow insult on a genre of music which means a lot for a lot of people (including people in this forum) and which is honestly composed (including by many people on this forum) with the best intention of communicating something valuable for those who compose it with the intent of stricking the chords of like minded people. You could have said "it sucks because I don't like it" and you would have expressed the same identical concept.
Posted by: Theowne

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 02/02/08 02:02 AM

Quote:
it's taken a few years to move (and even want to) from classical chops and playing loudly in church to getting a consistently soft and peaceful tone.
...Er...so you never played any Chopin? Schubert? Debussy? Beethoven? Because all of these composers have plenty of works that require a consistently soft and delicate touch. Usually very difficult to do well (see the million videos of Moonlight Sonata for evidence)

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 02/02/08 09:48 AM

Quote:
No just an honest observation from someone whose has been a pro musician, never having a day gig, and played almost every imaginable style for 41 years. Someone who can hear good from bad, jive from substance, pop culture trend from real art, out of tune, canned, garage band, amateur hour, lip synced, processed crap from the real deal. Come back in 30 yrs. and talk to me about music.
I think I'm more than a little qualified to voice my opinion here.

As Duke Ellington said..."There are two kinds of music...good and bad".
Most intelligent music people know the difference. [/b]
I am sure you are an accomplished pianist. I admire anybody who can make a living as a musician. It's a tough life. And you are certainly entitled to voice any opinion you want (it may surprise you to learn that the only "qualification" required to voice an opinion on an internet forum is registering for it...).

I personally disagree with your opinion and wish you had expressed it more politely. It's hard to have a serious debate when somebody disrespectfully dismisses the other side out of hand.

Danny, thank you for your eloquent defenses of new age music. You expressed many of my feelings about the genre perfectly.

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 02/02/08 10:30 AM

I thought Disciple summed it all up rather nicely with these six points...
"...Insipid?
...Like a sound machine?
...Sparse?
...Devoid of any meaningful and memorable motivic material and development?
...Harmonically static?
...like most pianists with even limited technique can emulate it easily?"

Is any of Phillip Glass' music considered new age?
I heard his "Harpsichord Concerto" on the radio yesterday and it rivaled anything I've heard from Yanni.
Posted by: jazzyprof

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 02/02/08 01:47 PM

Quote:

. [/b]
Surely you jest, mon! \:D My Jamaican brother Monty would rather wear a tutu than be labelled a New Age artist. One of the bluesiest, funkiest, jazz pianists around.
Posted by: jazzwee

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 02/02/08 02:04 PM

...ritincop has been pulling your leg. :rolleyes:

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 02/02/08 06:39 PM

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 02/02/08 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jazzwee:
...ritincop has been pulling your leg. :rolleyes: [/b]
Whew! I thought he was trying to build the basis for an insanity plea! \:D

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 02/02/08 06:47 PM

Quote:
As Duke Ellington said..."There are two kinds of music...good and bad".
That really depends on the musician, and the level to which HIS spirit is elevated by his playing. Music should be self-satisfying. I've heard many a musician whose spirit in which they played and the joy they received from it, transcended inadequacies in their technique.

Listen to Joe Cocker. One of the best singers there is, with so little in the way of a voice!

Some can do alot with a little, others can have 16 million colors at their disposal and still have nothing to paint.

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 02/03/08 09:47 AM

Hey Disciple.. totally agree about Joe Cocker - stood in the wings one night when he was touring with the Grease Band - around 1968 (you and I are exactly the same vintage:-) Spine tingling vocalist.. a comment made about Bryan Ferry (though I am not so keen on him) contained some wisdom.. it was something along the lines of .. "he can only sing four notes, but he does more with those notes than most people do... etc". And thus, I agree with your general point.

I also saw Floyd a couple of times, including the first tour of DSotM, which you mention elsewhere. Simple (notwithstanding the 7/7: 4/4 "Money") but effective.
Cool
Posted by: theJourney

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 02/03/08 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Disciple:
In defense of minimalistic new age piano music (and that's not to infer that all new age is minimalistic, but merely specifying minimalistic new age to avoid confusion with the minimalistic approaches of some Lamont Young, John Cage, Philip Glass, etc. music), I've read through pieces by Ravel, Debussy, and LISZT (ca. 1870 to 1885, his final 15 years) that were VERY much akin to what I consider "new age" piano, although not my cup of tea.

Has anyone here played these later works of Liszt's? [/b]
Interesting point.

If you take for example Liszt's En Reve (1885), it sounds white and glassy and minimalistic. Lizst even exhorts the performer to avoid phrasing or accents. It is certainly not without harmonic interest however. And Schlafos (1883) in terms of visual appearance of the score almost looks like it could be taken out of an Ennio collection.

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 02/03/08 01:18 PM

It strikes me that those pianists and styles that are sometimes belittled or looked down upon are the ones who could rather easily be imitated by the "best" pianists - the ones who have truly mastered the instrument. For instance, I'm pretty sure that Keith Jarrett could do a passable George Winston impersonation, but I seriously doubt that Winston could closely imitate Jarrett if he wanted to. This doesn't make Winston's music worthless, but perhaps it does make Jarrett's more impressive.
Posted by: swingal

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 02/04/08 06:00 AM

This 'New Age'music is very confusing to analyse. I cannot accept Monty Alexander as a new age pianist. 75% jazz surely.

I'm purely a jazz enthusiast and love playing the 88's for relaxation.

There have been some very good explanations for New Age but like most art, it's all in the eyes and ears of the beholder. Abstract art seems appropriate.

I have no comment to make about piano music that does not invigorate me or make me want to emulate the artist at the piano keyboard.

Jazz is an art form of music historically derived from a marching beat. And or, African slaves emotions in their new world. It spells out happiness and joy, blues and rhythms.

Let us just lie back and be grateful our senses are able to enjoy these lovely sounds vibes and soul satisfying music.

Alan (swingal)

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 02/05/08 11:28 AM

In my humble opinion, the complexity of styles like classical music and jazz are partly due to the fact that when composed, the composers/improvisers were seeking to stretch the limits of their expressive capabilities and of the instruments to which they used. To evolve music and see what can be, and being more technical, complex, and fast was one way to expand those possibilities. As the piano finally evolved to it's modern version in the 1800's, you see composers expanding what a piano can do and express. There are pieces by Chopin and Rachmoninoff that I will never ever want to attempt. They are just too darn hard to put into my daily routine. And Oscar Peterson and company are amazing in their technical abilities. I'm a fan. Granted, I've played all the major composers and performed their works, even concertos, but my cost/benefit ratio draws a line at a certain point.
That being said, and it's just my opinion, new age music has found it's functional place in society as something accessible to a broad range of people, not just in intelligent classical or jazz circles. Working on the peaceful side of what a piano can do, playing less notes can equal perfection in this genre. Left hand 8ths notes are its mainstay. It brings peace to the average listener (listeners are usu. not musicians) without overwhelming.
There are millions of listeners out there with the mind set of, "hey, just give me something soft and peaceful". Slower and thinner compositions accomplish this. Hopefully the pianist performs well with quality.
To me the key word is "functional". I want to write something that helps someone through their day. And my target audience is anyone out of the 6 billion people on the planet.
To expand the far reaches of music's borders is a different kind of functionality. It is high and lofty, and few have the ability to attempt it, few also are chosen.
But the highest calling of music is to share its beauty and depth, so if I can achieve functionality and to share, I've pretty much accomplished something worthy of being heard. One can try!

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 02/05/08 06:29 PM

Quote:

That being said, and it's just my opinion, new age music has found it's functional place in society as something accessible to a broad range of people, not just in intelligent classical or jazz circles. Working on the peaceful side of what a piano can do, playing less notes can equal perfection in this genre. Left hand 8ths notes are its mainstay. It brings peace to the average listener (listeners are usu. not musicians) without overwhelming.
There are millions of listeners out there with the mind set of, "hey, just give me something soft and peaceful". Slower and thinner compositions accomplish this. Hopefully the pianist performs well with quality.
To me the key word is "functional". I want to write something that helps someone through their day. And my target audience is anyone out of the 6 billion people on the planet.
To expand the far reaches of music's borders is a different kind of functionality. It is high and lofty, and few have the ability to attempt it, few also are chosen.
But the highest calling of music is to share its beauty and depth, so if I can achieve functionality and to share, I've pretty much accomplished something worthy of being heard. One can try! [/b]
It's always been that way. In their day, composers and technical wizards like Liszt and Chopin were heard and enjoyed by a very small percentage of the population. For an idea of what 98% of the population of the 1840s through 1860s listened to on a daily basis, watch the film "Gangs of NY".

The average person listened and related to "minstrels" playing accompaniament for folk and early tin pan alley-type tunes like "Oh Danny Boy".

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 02/06/08 03:02 AM

So, I said I won't post in this thread, but it's too, too, tempting.

Let's look at a few facts:

Wikipedia, not typically a quotable source, has an honest assessment of New Age music.

"...peaceful music of various styles...intended to make people feel good...", "Some, but not all, ...is associated with the New Age movement..."

Recall the New Age movement, the neo-spiritualism movement which grew out of the 70's, renown for its focus on meditation, channeling, reincarnation, crystals, holistic health...(citing Wikipedia again).

The millions of CDs this industry sold over the past 2.5 decades re-enforces the permanence of this genre and underscores it's following. The Grammy's still recognize this genre with an annual award (since '87).

In the mainstream, musicians with the moniker of "New Age" include Enya, George Winston, Jim Brickman, Dave Lanz, of course Yanni, and many, many more (Yusef Lateef ring a bell?).

Comparing it to other music genres, classic, jazz, rock, pop, is truly moot. It can't be better or worse than. It can only be different.

It's still my opinion that the music is bland, banal, and boring. But hey! Isn't that the point. Whether I like it or not, there's a market, and entepenuers are capitalizing on it. Ah, the American Dream.

And I can speak from experience now, there is "New Age" sheet music available for the piano. Much to my chagrin, my piano instructor gave me an Easy Piano copy of music by David Lanz. :rolleyes:

It's all good....isn't it!

l's dad ....ohmmm

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 02/06/08 05:37 AM

Quote:
[QB] Yusef Lateef ring a bell?

Back in the mid 70s there was also a flautist, Paul Horn, who recorded a series of albums that had different sections of his playing very simple, etheral type of lines and long tones in different acoustical settings.

One track would be him recorded inside a chamber in a pyramid, another in some great hall, another in a cave, etc., etc.

The emphasis was on the acoustical aspect rahter than the notes.

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 02/06/08 03:13 PM

Quote:

It's still my opinion that the music is bland, banal, and boring.
[/b]
Often times that is the case with new age music, especially in a concert setting. However, there are moments when it can be quite beautiful and poetic. It's good background music for creating a relaxing tranquil environment. I don't know who the best would be, but I have liked George Winston and David Lanz. However I don't intentionally listen to new age music and instead prefer pianists Wynton Kelly and Bill Evans.

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 02/08/08 01:43 AM

Quote:

However, there are moments when it can be quite beautiful and poetic.[/b]
In many cases, I whole heartily agree. New Age music that crosses over into the main stream, for example, Enya's Oronco Flow tend to be quite popular. Popular enough to quite commercial (as in profitable for the artist and for Volkswagen)

Having said that, my opinion hasn't changed. But seeing that opinion singled out like that makes me realized ...How could I have said something so obtuse?

Sorry people.

Wynton Kelly & Bill Evans...now that's exciting music.

l's dad ...who needs to learn how express his opinion without insulting others.
Posted by: curt88

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 03/08/08 07:35 AM

Please, please, please, please check out David Nevue .

His playing says it all.

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 03/08/08 08:28 AM

I guess this is him
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hAdm7evA14
?
Posted by: curt88

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 03/08/08 09:52 AM

Him it be!

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 03/08/08 07:12 PM

I guess, like all music, it says different things to different people..
Posted by: Terimr

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 03/22/08 08:34 PM

I have listened to www.solopianoradio.com for a few years and this is the best new age pianist artist community there is. My favorites are David Nevue, Micheal Dulin, David Lanz, Greg Maroney, Wayne Gratz and Suzanne Cianni. The late Jim Bajor is one of my most favorites.

I listen to this music while I am working at my computer.

Hope this helps all those interested in this genre...

Teri from Michigan

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 03/22/08 09:13 PM

Welcome to the forum, Terimr!

If you get the chance, head over to the Adult Beginners Forum and check out our latest recital (a link to it is posted in the "Important Topics for Adult Beginners" thread.) Kawaigirl submitted her recording of a Greg Maroney piece that will knock your socks off.

I wasn't familiar with Jim Bajor, so I will look him up. \:\)

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 03/22/08 09:18 PM

Thanks Monica! I'll check it out.. I'm really new to this forum.

I had the opportunity to meet Greg Maroney a few months ago in Atlanta at a Whisperings concert. He was amazing!

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 03/24/08 08:54 AM

I just became familiar with Jim Bajor a few months ago through this Christmas CD.

http://musicishere.com/artists/Jim_Bajor/An_Intimate_Christmas

Teri - You, Jim and I were all apparently neighbors!

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 03/25/08 08:07 AM

Very cool that we were neighbors.. I take it you have since moved away? Hopefully somewhere warm.. We've had a very cold and snow-filled winter!

Jim Bajor's Intimate Christmas CD is amazing... He had just re-released it before he passed away last December (2006) and copies are completely sold out.

Have you heard Jim's "Awakening" CD? This recording was Grammy nominated.

http://musicishere.com/artists/Jim_Bajor/Awakening

Teri

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 03/25/08 09:45 PM

Nope - we're still neighbors. I'm a few miles NW of town. I simply meant that Jim is no longer our neighbor.

Thanks for the Awakening tip!

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 03/26/08 02:20 AM

This is the best new age pianist:

Posted by: AJB

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 03/26/08 04:15 AM

Isn't it just Jazz? I remember my father playing like this, with jazz/boogie woogie improvisations, when I was a kid. Monty just sounds repetitive to me. What makes it "new age"?
Posted by: joe michaels

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 03/26/08 04:17 AM

Jim Bajor is really good, his christmas stuff is the best!

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 03/26/08 01:40 PM

I've just spent a couple of days listening to Jim Bajor's albums on Rhapsody. Good stuff indeed!

Two other artists I like a lot but don't think have been mentioned yet in this thread are:

1.) Jeffrey Bjorck. http://www.purepiano.com/default.htm Jeff reminds me a lot of David Nevue, both in terms of his story and the type of music he writes. He's a psychology professor in addition to being a musician and is largely self-taught. He's a down to earth guy and has very kindly emailed back and forth with me a few times talking about his background and music. If you go to his website you can sign up to be on his monthly email list that gives you free music downloads and does drawings for free CDs.

2.) Ralph Zurmuhle. http://www.ralph-music.com/

Zurmuhle's music is very calm and melodic. Rhapsody carries one of his albums ("Our Mother"), but I've had to order the others through his website. One of the tracks on "Our Mother" is "Horizon," a 20-minute tour de force of quiet and repetitive themes (very much like James Asher's "The Great Wheel" if you're familiar with that piece). The Whisperings radio station plays a 6-min version of Horizon, and I loved it so much I even emailed Zurmuhle to see if there was sheet music for it that I could purchase. (The answer, alas, is no.)

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 03/26/08 09:41 PM

I totally agree...these artists are awesome!
Posted by: quiescen

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 03/27/08 06:28 PM

Monica,

I actually just did an interview with Jeff Bjorck for my New Age piano lessons site.

I asked him 5 questions I wish I had the answers to when I was first starting out.

Find the interview at http://www.quiescencemusic.com/jbjorck.html

-- Edward

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 03/28/08 09:29 AM

Thanks, Edward... I just read the interview. I find it impressive and inspiring that Bjorck has been able to accomplish everything he has through self-teaching.

I like your website. I have always intended to sign up for your lessons, by the way, although the working mom factor has not made it feasible. In fall when I'm on sabbatical and no longer teaching I will finally have big blocks of free time. I will definitely revisit your site then. \:\)
Posted by: Tony V

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 03/28/08 07:54 PM

I just checked out David Nevue this week. I listened to a couple of pieces from "Postcards from Germany".

Is it wrong that I'm under the impression that his pieces are a tad bit repetitive? Don't get me wrong, I think his music has "prettyness" to it, but sometimes he would just "loop" a musical phrase for a minute long (maybe a little exaggerated, but you know what I mean).

I don't think I could have listened to more than 4 pieces without getting worn out.

I'd like to give him another chance. Does anyone recommend any specific pieces that you can consider his signature?

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 03/30/08 10:55 AM

Tuan Vo,

Try David Nevue's "Broken", "The Vigil" and "While the Trees Sleep". These are a few of his most popular songs from what I've been told.

His CD titled "Overcome" is my favorite and had won "Best Instrumental Piano Album of 2005" at the LifeStyle Music Awards.

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 03/31/08 12:21 AM

Ok, this is the best new age pianist:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3OOwglVldI

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 03/31/08 12:25 PM

I cant agree - I think you need something you can hum along with, like this... I want to do this number with one of the bands I play for - (we won't need any more numbers).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r21206DbBaE&feature=related
Posted by: rct203

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 03/31/08 06:17 PM

my favorite right now is Keiko Matsui, www.keikomatsui.com, i have been listening to her a lot recently (walls of akendora album). if you haven't heard her music you should really check it out. she is on the line between jazz and new age, and is sometimes labeled as "fusion", with songs usually leaning one way or the other. whatever you want to call it, i love her music.

Keiko Matsui - Forever Forever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzqsWxau_gI

Keiko Matsui - Full Moon/The Shrine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ou1kZgskhgU

some of my other favorites include david lanz ,christofori's dream among others, jim brickman, love his disney arrangement songbook!, george skaroulis, the dance and athena from the athena album, secret garden ,nocturne and the song from a secret garden among others, and tom barabas, riding the rainbow from his romantic rhapsodies album. also worth mentioning although not necessarily new age, nobuo uematsu, for his extensive work on the Final Fantasy video game series and his latest master piece from the game Lost Odyssey.
Posted by: Jeff Bjorck

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 04/05/08 05:51 PM

Monica,
I'm not sure it this will post in the correct place, as I am new to these forums. Just wanted to say THANKS for your very kind words about my music! Thanks also to Edward Weiss for his great interview!

Peace,

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 04/05/08 06:09 PM

Yup, you're in the right place. \:\) And welcome to the forum! There's a lot of new age fans in the Adult Beginners forum, too.
Posted by: TrapperJohn

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 04/08/08 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rct203:
my favorite right now is Keiko Matsui, www.keikomatsui.com, i have been listening to her a lot recently (walls of akendora album). if you haven't heard her music you should really check it out. she is on the line between jazz and new age, and is sometimes labeled as "fusion", with songs usually leaning one way or the other. whatever you want to call it, i love her music.

Keiko Matsui - Forever Forever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzqsWxau_gI

Keiko Matsui - Full Moon/The Shrine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ou1kZgskhgU

[/b]
rct203 - Thank you very much for the RE-introduction to Kieko and her beautiful music!

A decade ago (or more) I had several of her CDs which I remember practically wearing out at that time(not easy to do), which were more fusion jazz than new age (I think I still have them around somewhere) - but haven't heard her since then until your post.

She looks & sounds great on the YouTube clips!
What a super touch - what a great sound!

Many thanks again,

JF
Posted by: rct203

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 04/08/08 03:43 PM

hey, no problem JF! glad to hear you are enjoying her music, i am lucky to have re-discovered it myself. to me that is one of the beauties of forums like these, to exchange and share ideas with like minded individuals. i have a feeling my cds are headed the same was as your's, worn out. at least now a days though, i can always make myself another copy if that happens (legally purchased from iTunes of course).

yeah, some of her newer albums like white owl and walls of akendora show some new age flair with her jazz roots woven in all around. her newest cd moyo is entirely on the jazz end of the spectrum,at times having a latin/brazilian flavor. if and when it is released on iTunes+ (higher quality), i will buy it.

i might go and see one of her shows in boston next month hopefully. she has an autographed book of sheet music called "compositions" that she sells on her website, but the store page is down now. i'd love to get a copy of it if they are selling it at the show. she does have a couple sheets on her site though, for anyone that's interested, www.keikomatsui.com .

*slightly off topic side note. my brother works at this high end audio shop in the area. last night i went to the showroom with him to have a listen to some things, so naturally, i brought keiko with me. the music sounded out of this world cranked up on those b&w's and boston acoustics! i was in heaven. i also was able to view my chris botti live blu ray in the demo home theater room with this ridiculous hd projector and top of the line surround sound system. for any fans of jazz with an hd tv and blu ray player/PS3 this dvd is a MUST MUST have. billy childs is a master of piano. chris's whole band is top notch of course.

check out billy's solo at about 3:48, but listen to the whole song as well (this low quality clip does not do the performance justice, get the blu ray!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RkdWBiZSmI
Posted by: Greg Howlett

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 04/09/08 11:46 PM

I just watched the Keith Jarrett link video that was posted earlier. To me, he is a jazz musician and improvises like one. Jazz improv is amazing stuff.

I have not seen this kind of improv in new age music. Does anyone know of any? To me, new age is just not as complicated as jazz (not that it is a bad thing.)
Posted by: gryphon

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 04/23/08 10:16 AM

Four pages and no one has mentioned Philip Aaberg?
Posted by: dwight@tfrog.com

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 04/26/08 10:27 AM

May I ask a serious question, without being seen as self-promoting? I am stuck for a genre.

All of this discussion of New Age and Keith Jarrett and jazz... Jarrett was the primary model that led me to free improvisation, but improvisation heavily influenced by classical. I uploaded several tracks to mp3.com, and the limited choice of categories made me file them as New Age. But I don't think that fits. (Or, I HOPE that doesn't fit...)

When I want to tell other musicians what I play, I'm at a loss. It's not classical, but it's not New Age. "Improv" imparts various meanings. Neoclassical? What's that?

Please - this is an example:
http://www.tfrog.com/audio/102007a.mp3
A very simple theme is developed and expanded throughout. Anyone who has 11 minutes with nothing to do, I'd appreciate nothing more than a classification. Where do I file this?

dwight - between rock and a hard place
Posted by: jimboo

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 04/26/08 01:01 PM

Anyone familiar with Tim Janis? Heard him and his ensemble last night on PBS. A member of the group plays flute and an short instrument seemingly of wood with a mouth piece that is flat-no reed i believe. Looks like a child's toy perhaps eight inches length played by placing fingers over holes in the body. I have no idea what it is. Can anyone tell me and the opinion of Tim's work?

Jim
Posted by: Dam0piano

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 04/27/08 04:36 PM

Yann Tiersen is awesome on the piano! he plays minimal music!
you can listen to Michael Nyman's music, he's great too!

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 04/29/08 06:57 AM

dwight@tfrog,

Your music is awesome! IMO I would call it contemporary solo piano with neoclassical influence. (I personally do not care for the term "new age"..) Hope this helps. Nice work! :-)

TR

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 04/29/08 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Terimr:
dwight@tfrog,

Your music is awesome! IMO I would call it contemporary solo piano with neoclassical influence. (I personally do not care for the term "new age"..) Hope this helps. Nice work! :-)

TR [/b]
Why, thank you (and can I quote you?). The one I pointed you to, in fact several of the tracks, are rather contemporary - but not in a 12-tone row fashion. My own tastes reach well into the 20th century; Debussy sneaks in at strange places, and at least one track is a downright hommage to Satie. I can listen to Barber and Rachmaninoff all day, but that's as far as I've gotten.

So, contemporary, certainly, but with a profound classical influence. Nothing neo about it. Still, that may be where I fall in - neoclassical.

One definition I've found, "a movement in music lasting roughly from 1915 to 1940 that sought to avoid subjective emotionalism and to return to the style of the pre-Romantic composers," didn't seem to fit at all. I strongly believe that music is emotional and[/b] subjective. For myself, I would adjust it a bit to include the Romantics. Another definition would be, "characteristic of a revival of an earlier classical style," and I can live with that.

So, not New Age, but Neoclassical improvisation. Shame that no one lists that category as an option. I'm still stuck betwixt and between.

dwight
Posted by: Eighty8

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 04/30/08 02:30 PM

I would like to see a battle of the new age pianist to determine who is the best, like the drum battles between Buddy Rich – Gene Kupa, et al.
It is hard to define “new age” music but a word I would use to describe it is “ethereal”.
My Webster’s dictionary defines Ethereal:
1 a. of or relating to the regions beyond the earth b. celestial heavenly c. unworldly, spiritual.
2. a. lacking material substance, immaterial intangible. b. marked by unusual delicacy or refinement.

Some people hear [definition 1] and like “new age”, while others hear the same piece and are turned off by its lack of substance [def 2].

This IMHO is “new age” and is my favorite “new age” performance.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSjJa62gD5U

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 04/30/08 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dwight@tfrog.com:
May I ask a serious question, without being seen as self-promoting? I am stuck for a genre.
... I uploaded several tracks to mp3.com, and the limited choice of categories made me file them as New Age. But I don't think that fits. (Or, I HOPE that doesn't fit...)
[/b]
dwight, I listened to your improv several times and enjoyed it very much.

You may not want to hear this but I think the recording you posted would indeed fall under the new age label. Or perhaps I should say that I have listened to many new age artists whose music sounds similar in style to yours-- Michael Jones, to give one example.

Other than having a visceral reaction to the suckiness of the "new age" name, is there a reason you would NOT want to call it new age? \:D

If it helps any, David Nevue doesn't like the label either and simply calls his music "solo piano."
Posted by: SteelersFan

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 04/30/08 03:46 PM

Michael Gettel and Wayne Gratz. Not exactly new, but good new age piano.

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 04/30/08 04:41 PM

Man I love this thread! I have been introduced to a lot of composers I had never heard of before, and the latest of these is Michael Gettel. Thank you for mentioning him, SteelersFan (and welcome to the forum, btw! \:\) ). I've just spent the last hour listening to him on Rhapsody. Some really good stuff there, and more complex than a lot of new age piano.

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 04/30/08 09:08 PM

Quote:
dwight, I listened to your improv several times and enjoyed it very much.[/b]
Thank you! Several times, eh? I think most folks hear the opening 30 seconds, make up their minds, and move on. Thanks for sticking with it.

Quote:
You may not want to hear this but I think the recording you posted would indeed fall under the new age label. Or perhaps I should say that I have listened to many new age artists whose music sounds similar in style to yours-- Michael Jones, to give one example.[/b]
Hmmm... Listening to Michael's music as I type, at least the bits that he offers on his website. How do I put this nicely? ... What turns me off of most current music is the, not lack of depth, but lack of dimension, if you know what I mean. The piece I'm listening to right now develops a nice theme, beautifully, really, but I keep waiting for it to break open, and it never does. It presents a singular idea, a singular emotional wrapper. (The other obvious difference is that his music is compositional, mine is improvisation.) But I don't want to make the usual mistake of listening to a sampling and thinking that this represents the man's entire output. I've only heard the four examples on his Listen page... He's apparently been recording for 25 years.

Quote:
Other than having a visceral reaction to the suckiness of the "new age" name, is there a reason you would NOT want to call it new age? \:D [/b]
Well, that's the question, and that's why I jumped in on this thread. I have no idea where my music fits in, at least not the track that I pointed you to. For something completely different, " Hammers " is a baby grand stepping out, a far cry from the very[/b] New Agey " latenite * ." I'm completely comfortable with the notion that "latenite" is New Age. But I'd like to think that the "October 20" and others of that vein go well beyond that moniker.

When I think New Age, I think along the lines of Eighty8's two definitions (above). There's nothing wrong with "ethereal," when that's what I'm trying to achieve, but I hope that my music also challenges the listener to listen, not merely to meditate. My worst fear (includes any of us, I'm sure) is to be shuffled off as background music, floating just out of range.

Quote:
If it helps any, David Nevue doesn't like the label either and simply calls his music "solo piano." [/b]
Well, it's not that I don't like the label, I just don't know that it quite fits.

(*"latenite"... You have to imagine, this is the night that I've just received my "new" Knabe baby grand. There it sits, but my wife and daughter have already gone to bed; it's late. But I can't help myself, I just have to try this piano out. But I have to play, oh, so quietly, for fear of disturbing their sleep. latenite is six minutes of me marvelling at the wonderful tone of a baby grand - after playing a studio upright for years - and there's actually a tension throughout, trying to keep the music restrained and contained. Now, I can't think of any category that this one would more comfortably fit in than New Age, so let it be.)

I would agree with Nevue, in that I would truly not want to be tagged as a "New Age pianist[/b] ," for fear that this would give the wrong impression to anyone who hadn't heard my music. "Solo pianist" is purposely vague, but that may be the way to go, when what I play spans several different genres...

I'll just have to categorize the individual pieces and refer to myself as "dwight, piano player."
;\)
Posted by: PianoJoe

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 04/30/08 09:24 PM

not sure if I saw mention of David Lanz on this post, but you gotta put him up there! I'm a HUGE fan of Michael Gettel & Wayne Gratz as well. A few more lesser known gems you ought to check out:
Joe Yamada www.joeyamada.com
Jennifer Thomas www.jenniferthomasmusic.com
Steven Cravis www.stevencravis.com
Matthew Tavis Johnson www.matthewtavisjohnson.com
Posted by: ramjamman88

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 05/02/08 11:34 PM

A new new age solo piano artist to discover? Canadian composer Stephan Moccio. debut album is called Exposure.

www.myspace.com/stephanmoccio
Posted by: jgardenour

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 05/05/08 12:16 AM

My absolute favorite is Eldar! His performance on "Re-imagination" album is nothing but AMAZING (Grammy Nominee for the Best Contemporary Jazz Album) but more amazingly, he was only 19 y.o. when he recorded this album. Check out his website www.eldarjazz.com, and there are some videos of his live performance on YouTube as well.
Posted by: jgardenour

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 05/05/08 12:24 AM

Ok, the link in my post didn't work (and I don't know how to fix it!) - www.eldarjazz.com
Posted by: ROMagister

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 05/05/08 12:10 PM

I like the music of Enya, although the importance of her piano/keyboard parts is 20% at most. Absolutely enjoy her careful self-overlaying: a choir of Enyas in harmony. Up to 80 I got from one source, 300 from another.

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 05/05/08 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ramjamman88:
A new new age solo piano artist to discover? Canadian composer Stephan Moccio. debut album is called Exposure.

www.myspace.com/stephanmoccio [/b]
"October" is absolutely beautiful. I tried to order the sheet music for it, but that part of his website didn't seem to be working. \:\(
Posted by: Babs_

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 05/05/08 02:01 PM

Posted by: Stephen C.

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 05/05/08 03:47 PM

I've really enjoyed reading this thread. Most of the musicians mentioned are familiar to me. I like New Age piano music so much that a year or so ago, I set up a web-site which (as you are reading this thread) some of you might enjoy. The address is www.piano-heaven.co.uk I am a real novice at web-design (as you will see), but hopefully it's the content that is more importanty.
Someone mentioned Stephan Moccio. I agree, he is an exciting new pianist. I did an Interview with him a couple of months ago, and that is online (together with interviews with Wayne Gratz and Karen Marie Garrett). If push came to shove, I'd have to say Michael Jones is my absolute favourite. His music meanders and whilst I take the criticisms levelled at him, I think it is actually part of his music's beauty.
I've enjoyed finding this site, and hope to post again soon.

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 05/05/08 05:09 PM

Hi everyone,

Great thread. I don't think there is a "best" New Age pianist so to speak but there is one I really love.

His name is John Herberman and he records for the Solitudes label. His CD "Forest Piano" is about as beautiful a music as you'll ever hear. And, if you don't mind nature sounds ... well worth a listen!

Edward Weiss
http://www.quiescencemusic.com
Posted by: Piano Girl RMG

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 05/06/08 12:14 PM

Greetings from Germany. Enough lurking, I'm jumping into this discussion. I have three solo piano recordings to my name, all of which have been categorized as New Age, because, frankly, "New Age" has become a catchall for music that doesn't fit neatly into other slots.

I have classical training, but grew up in a world of jazz musicians. I write songs with strong melodies and chord structures that extend beyond the expectations of pop music. I dig Carole King, Bill Evans, Prince, and Ravel. Go figure. My music contains lengthy improvised passages, but the compositions themselves are structured, with clear beginnings, middles, and ends.

My style comes from years of playing piano in cocktail bars and hotel lounges. Not willing to stick to the same-old same-old standards, and anxious to play my own compositions, I've learned to write and perform music that makes an impression without getting in the way. This has been my ongoing challenge—to compose pieces that suit the needs of my multi-faceted audiences without sacrificing my musical standards or dignity. What started as a way to keep my sanity landed me in a New Age swamp. But that's okay, it's all just music.

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 05/06/08 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Piano Girl RMG:
I have three solo piano recordings to my name, all of which have been categorized as New Age, because, frankly, "New Age" has become a catchall for music that doesn't fit neatly into other slots. [/b]
Hi Robin! I think your definition of new age is more accurate than any we've bandied about in this thread so far. \:D But it also shows what's so frustrating about the new age label; it really does defy pinning down.

When you were dealing with the publishers of your albums, did they ask you what genre you wanted associated with your work? Or were you basically just told "we're sticking this in the new age bins"?
Posted by: huami

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 05/07/08 04:26 AM

i don't know if you could call Hiromi New Age, but My oh my she is marvelous.

Here she is performing with the master of Jazz himself, chick corea.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRU1o-sCnqY&feature=related

and another little piece i love:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98JtaPWvSYM&feature=related

there are many more & some pretty wild & wonderful. check her out.

i actually felt compelled to paint her, she impressed me so much.

http://www.dancingdust.com/figurative.html
(third row down - far right)

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 05/07/08 07:59 AM

Hi Monica,
My first CD was labeled New Age by the record company, but they went out of business. I bought back the recording (Bass Lion Music is my company), and now I do my own categorizing. The days of bins seem to be a thing of the past, so at least that frustration is gone, but on-line companies (both for physical and digital direct sales) still like to categorize, which, let's face it, is only human.

I tend to cross-categorize myself. But for last year's GRAMMY nominations (I was on the long list, in the first round) we ended up in Best New Age Recording category. It seemed the only acceptable place for the listing.

I was an invited to appear on Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz (NPR) a couple of years ago when my book was published. I'm not a jazz musician, so before recording Marian's show, I felt a little—shall we say—INSECURE. My husband, who is indeed a jazzer, says that my music is jazz-influenced, which I suppose is true. But it's classically influenced, as well.

Marian summed it up best, I think, when she said, "Oh, it's all just music, isn't it?" Well, right Marian. I've been around enough jazz and classical purists (some might call them snobs) in my life to really appreciate an accomplished musician who has big ears for everything. To find this quality in a woman Marian's age is remarkable. No wonder she seems so young.

Here's how the show with Marian came about. My publisher sent her a copy of my book.I sent her a couple of CDs. Marian called me personally and invited me to be on the show, a telephone call that darn near resulted in me falling down in a dead faint. "Marian," i said, "I'm not a jazz musician. Not even close." "Who cares?" she said."We'll play, we'll have fun!"

Musicians have been battling categories forever. We all just need to find a way to get our music out there. If that means sticking a label on ourselves, so be it. The important thing is to play what we love.

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 05/07/08 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Piano Girl RMG:
Musicians have been battling categories forever. We all just need to find a way to get our music out there. If that means sticking a label on ourselves, so be it. The important thing is to play what we love. [/b]
This is very true. This is extremely off-topic, but my guess is that the internet is a mixed blessing for musicians. It makes it easier to get your music "out there," but there's SO MUCH "out there" it's hard to stand out...

I've spent a delightful morning listening to your 3 albums on Rhapsody, btw. Very beautiful! (And, yeah, I'd call it new age myself. \:D ) I especially liked "Winter Sea," "Feed the Birds," and your arrangement of "Cavatina" from the Deer Hunter. I had never heard that piece as a piano solo before, but it works quite well that way.

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 05/07/08 01:44 PM

Hi Monica,

Thanks for listening to those recordings. We must have the same taste—the three tracks you picked are some of my favorites!

But see, that's what I mean, who would have thought thata song from Mary Poppins could be covered in a new age arrangement? It all works.
Posted by: Zebra Productions

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 05/28/08 01:27 PM

Laurie Z. was a contemporary pianist, keyboardist, composer who passed away in 2006. Laurie's music has the sophistication and the grace of classical piano music, yet her structures and harmonies follow the verse-chorus structures of Elton John's music.

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 05/30/08 02:29 AM

Sorry to hear about Larie's passing. I think I actually saw her perform at a Border's book store here in San Diego.

Hard to believe. One day your here, the next...

My condolences to her friends and family.

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 05/30/08 11:26 AM

Well, I've just finished reviewing German composer Bernard Koch's new album dedicated to the great Hermann Hesse. I've set up an interview with him, which should be online in a week or so.
Bernward's album is solo-piano and is very beautiful. I think many of you might like it.

I've also reviewed two Elijah Bossenbroek albums. Those of you that like your "New Age" music with a bit of flair, would do well to check out his albums- in particular the track "A Song of Simplicity".

The reviews are at www.piano-heaven.co.uk

Enjoy.

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 06/02/08 07:00 PM

That probably was Laurie you saw. She performed at Borders throughout the U.S. as well as a few Barnes and Noble stores. And while she was endorsed by Yamaha, many of those performances, particularly her improvs created in concert, were recorded live to Disklavier. We're currently mastering an Improv Night recorded live at Point 705 in L.A. in 1999. (Laurie never got the chance to go back into the studio and re-record the improvs to a compilation disk as planned.)
Posted by: Tobias777

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 06/03/08 11:03 PM

Tim Minchin is indisputably the greatest pianist of the 21st century.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6raVzrbqrM

'nuff said.
Posted by: Judytunes

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 06/05/08 04:23 PM

I have to agree that the term, "New Age" gives an impression of incense, wind chimes and electronic bilge. I prefer the term "contemporary instrumental," but you'd still find recordings of contemporary instrumental in the "New Age" bins at the big box stores and online. Whatever.

I still like George Winston, David Lanz, Wayne Gratz and Mia Jang, but one of my favorite pianists of this genre is Michael Gettel. Lovely!

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 06/05/08 06:51 PM

Well, I certainly like San Juan Suite. Nearly got to meet Michael Gettel when he was coming over to England. Still hope to interview him one day. I have interviewed Wayne Gratz, and am just doing one with Bernward Koch and David Hicken.

If push came to shove, I think my favourite New Age pianist would be Michael Jones. Not to everyone's tastes I know, but I find his meandering compositions allows the listen to really lose themselves in his music.

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 06/06/08 01:46 AM

Hi Stephen,

I like Michael Jones too. Especially "Pianoscapes." No need to apologize or feel ashamed about liking this music. In fact, one of my pet peeves is that George Winston, the "king" of New Age piano doesn't do more to promote the style.

Of course, Winston doesn't refer to his style as new age. He calls it rural folk piano ... which I guess makes sense if you think about it.

Edward Weiss

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 06/07/08 04:23 PM

Hello, Edward-

Yes, I like "Pianoscapes", but I have a particular fondness for "Amber" and "After the Rain". Mind you, his latest effort, "Almost Home" is exceptionally good. He is working on new music.

Some of you here might like David Hicken, who is an Hawaiian-based composer. I have just finished interviewing him, and you can check it out below.
Nice meeting you, Edward.

http://www.piano-heaven.co.uk

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 06/16/08 06:34 PM

Nice meeting you as well Stephen. It's always a pleasure to meet people interested in my favorite piano genre (gulp) ... New Age.

I just don't get why so many have an adverse reaction to the term. I don't get it.

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 06/18/08 06:38 PM

It's just a term that's out of fashion at the moment and conjures up images of bells and chimes- basically pretty meaningless music. Those "in the know" do not let a name label bother them too much!

I have just posted an Interview with German pianist Bernward Koch, if anyone is interested. He recently released a fascinating new solo-piano album entitled "Montagnola" which he dedicated to the German novelist Hermann Hesse.

www.piano-heaven.co.uk
Posted by: ratoi catalin

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 06/19/08 03:23 AM

Progressive New Age Piano is a style that let you think at many things. I'd like to consider it a fresh new style because of the mood mixture and progressive rock influences.

Please get a look at:

http://www.newagepiano.net/ratoi-catalin-music.html
Posted by: David Staff

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 06/19/08 03:49 AM

I notice that this thread has been running for quite some time now and has attracted a lot of interest.
I would however, be most grateful if someone could define the term "new age pianist" for me please. From the examples I've seen on YouTube it would seem to be either an all-encompassing term or it can mean what you want it to mean.
Enlightenment please!!!

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 06/19/08 11:06 AM

Hi David -
Corciolli would be a good example of a "new age pianist." However, I think you nailed it when you define new age pianist as "all-encompassing."
It seems to be one of the catch all terms for lack of being able to classifiy an artist's music in a specific genre - which is so important for broadcast purposes.
Laurie Z., was often referred to as a "New Age" composer/performer because she employed the use of synthesizers, blending it with accoustic sounds. Yet Laurie Z. referred to her music as "Contemporary Instrumental." (Yes, she was a "trail blazer" in MIDI but she was also classically trained from the age of four.) Personally, I think a lot of what we hear classified as New Age falls within the Contemporary Instrumental "genre" now. (i.e. JanElaine Eller for instance.)

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 06/19/08 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David Staff:
I would however, be most grateful if someone could define the term "new age pianist" for me please.[/b]
Hi David,

This question has come up repeatedly on this and the AB forum and pianist corner, and I don't think anybody has ever come up with a satisfactory answer. Looking up "new age music" on Wikipedia produced this definition, which is as good as any:

"New Age music is defined more by the feeling it produces rather than the devices used in its creation; it may be electronic or acoustic, or a mixture of both. New Age artists range from solo or ensemble performances using Western instruments such as piano, acoustic guitar, flutes, harps and many others, to electronic musical instruments, and Eastern instruments such as sitar, tamboura, tabla; and instruments from all other parts of the world, the human voice singing in languages from all around the world.

Some New Age music artists openly embrace New Age beliefs, while other artists and bands have specifically stated that they do not consider their own music to be New Age, even when their work has been labeled as such by record labels, music retailers, or radio broadcasters.

There is a significant overlap of sectors of New Age music, Ambient music, electronica, World music, Chillout, spacemusic and others. The two definitions typically used for New Age are:

* New age music with an ambient sound that has the explicit purpose of aiding meditation and relaxation, or aiding and enabling various alternative spiritual practices, such as meditative healing, chakra auditing, and so on. The proponents of this definition are almost always musicians who create their music expressly for these purposes.[2] Prominent artists who create New Age music expressly for healing or meditation include Aeoliah, Deuter, Deepak Chopra, and Steven Halpern.

* Music which is found in the New Age section of the record store.[2] This is largely a definition of practicality, given the breadth of music that is classified as "new age" by retailers who are often less interested in finely-grained distinctions between musical styles than are fans of those styles. Music which falls into this definition is usually music which cannot be easily classified into other, more common definitions, but often includes well-defined music such as Worldbeat and Flamenco guitar. Musicians as varied as George Winston, Dean Evenson, Will Ackerman, Suzanne Ciani, Jim Brickman, Enya, B-Tribe, Deep Forest, Jean Michel Jarre, Enigma, Kitaro, Yanni, Oscar Lopez, Mike Oldfield and Steve Roach are typically classified as New Age despite their wildly divergent musical styles. It also includes expressly spiritual New Age music as a subset."

I get a big kick out of the last paragraph: new age music is whatever is put in the new age bin in the record stores!! \:D

Elsewhere in the Wikipedia article they state that three alternative labels for this kind of music have been proposed: contemporary instrumental; adult contemporary; and contemporary adult instrumental. I guess I like "contemporary instrumental" the best of these terms, but it does have the pesky problem of some new age music including vocals (e.g., Enya).
Posted by: David Staff

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 06/19/08 03:16 PM

Thanks very much to both of you for taking the time to answer my question, it's much appreciated.
I am now far more enlightened than a few hours ago although to a degree your replies serve to confirm my own guesses at a satisfactory definition. It seems I wasn't too far off the mark in my earlier comments.
Thanks again
David
Posted by: babama

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 06/27/08 07:29 PM

I'm a big fan of electronic music and ambient, but not so much new age.
I have no idea about 'new age pianists'.
Can only recommend some minimal piano ambient: Brian Eno & Harold Budd - Ambient 2: The Plateaux of Mirror \:\)
Posted by: Babs_

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 06/27/08 08:06 PM

I like David Nevue the most. His music is nice to listen to and his website is outstanding. All the sheetmusic to his music is available through his website.
http://www.davidnevue.com/freedownloads.htm

I also like Einauldi, Tiersen , Michael Nyman and Philip Glass.

The other night I discovered another new age artist from Rome,Italy. His name is Fancesco Gazzara. A couple
of the songs I like are "Scattered by Winds and "Early Morning". There are some more songs of his off his My Space page that I am also anxious to listen to as well.
Here's the link. http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=235728837

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 06/30/08 03:18 AM

In case this view I write has been already given, my apologies.

In my opinion 'New Age' means 'An Art Form of Music, late 20th Century, composed of that which is neither Jazz nor Classical, though perhaps as a best alternative 'Soul Music' A bit like a simplified Keith Jarret composition.

I can believe that the pianist gets a great deal of emotional thrill playing it.

Personally I'm a strong beat jazz lover.

Alan (swingal)
Posted by: Highlander One

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 07/01/08 03:24 PM

I'm sorry to say that my favorite "new age" pianist is ....me.

I love most of the above mentioned pianists,

however.....

H1
Posted by: Highlander One

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 07/01/08 03:53 PM

No differing opinion?......

SWEET

H1

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 07/02/08 09:35 AM

If I haven't mentioned him earlier in this thread, check out my favorite, Philip Aaberg. I particularly like Live from Montana.

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 07/04/08 06:28 PM

One matter that is never discussed is, that what ever we say to give our opinion on music, we have no means of knowing what the next person hears in their brain. We can only express the effect that music has to others in general terms but nothing definitive. Hows that for a topic?

swingal

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 07/04/08 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by swingal:
One matter that is never discussed is, that what ever we say to give our opinion on music, we have no means of knowing what the next person hears in their brain. We can only express the effect that music has to others in general terms but nothing definitive. Hows that for a topic?

swingal [/b]
Worthy of a thread of its own, swingal! To complicate matters even more, what an individual hears will change across repeated listenings of the same piece. My experience of a favorite piece of music will be different the first time I hear it than it is the 100th time.
Posted by: Lisztener

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 07/04/08 07:29 PM

This is yet another fantastic thread every post of which I have read. My interest is kindled by the fact that I am currently learning my first piece of music in this many-named genre. \:D

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 07/07/08 05:27 PM

Quote:
My experience of a favorite piece of music will be different the first time I hear it than it is the 100th time. [/QB]
That's the litmus test for whether or not a piece of music has "life" or not. If you can listen to it repeatedly and hear something new each time.

Edward Weiss
Posted by: Zorina33

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 08/01/08 08:53 AM

Hi all, I'm new to the forums but I had to jump in on this one...are any of you familiar with Suzanne Ciani? I love her. Someone else mentioned David Lanz, who is great, but Suzanne really is my personal favorite:

http://www.sevwave.com/ciani/MP3%27s.htm
Posted by: Props2u

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 08/04/08 11:12 PM

Billy Joel is my choice lol.
Never heard of any of them people in this whole post. This place needs a rock forum or something.
Posted by: Randy Karasik

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 08/08/08 08:37 AM

A good jazz pianist can cross over to new age any time he/she desires to do so. It's like an olympic athlete becoming a gym teacher.

In that light, I nominate Yanni as the best new age pianist.
Posted by: Props2u

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 08/11/08 07:33 AM

In posts like this, something has sparked my curiousity.
Of the few forums i visit and read, no one ever mentions Liberace. I was never a huge fan of the person mostly due to the media. When i was growing up there were many strange rumors about the guy so I guess it gets embedded in your head or something. However, as a pianist he is quite amazing. I see his stuff on youtube and its mind blowing speed and accuracy. I cannot imagine anyone more coordinated on the piano than that.

So why is the guy never mentioned? Did he actually stink at piano or is mentioning him too obvious? Or is it because he only played other peoples songs, and wasnt actually a composer?
Posted by: Bob Newbie

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 08/11/08 08:06 AM

And people in Opera said Mario Lanza wasn't an opera singer.. yet none had more worldwide appeal... \:D

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 08/20/08 05:15 PM

I've just finished reviewing an excellent CD by Swiss pianist Ralph Zurmühle entitled "Our Mother". If you enjoy relaxing, melodic piano music, this is definitely worth investigating. There's a sample as well at the bottom- if you like Spigel im Spiegel (Arvo Part),you'll enjoy this particular track.

www.piano-heaven.co.uk

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 08/20/08 07:04 PM

I love Ralph Zurmuhle!!!! I have all his albums, and I've even emailed him begging for the sheet music to the shortened version of "Horizon" that plays on David Nevue's "Whisperings" internet radio station. (He was very nice and emailed back, explaining that he doesn't have sheet music for any of his pieces. \:\( )

One of my absolute favorite Zurmuhle pieces is "I'll find you there" from the "Between" album. Check it out:

Ralph Zurmuhle, "I\'ll find you there"

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 08/20/08 08:08 PM

Hello Monica!
I also love the Between album, and am shortly going to review that as well. It's in the car at the moment, but my favourite tracks are 1, 2 and 10. I'd never heard of him, and to discover a pianist as talented as this gives me great pleasure.
You might be interested to know that an interview with Ralph has been scheduled for September on Piano-Heaven- I'll ask about the Sheet Music for you!
I agree, he's a great guy.

EDIT: Yes, I do love Track 3 (your favourite) as well- reminds me a little of Kostia.

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 08/20/08 08:51 PM

And ask him if he wrote "I'll find you there" with lyrics in mind... it's got such a strong melody that I find myself coming up with words to it, and--trust me on this--I am NOT usually a lyricist!

[Actually, I think I would rank "I'll find you there" as my number 2 favorite Zurmuhle piece; the album (long) version of "Horizon" is probably my #1 favorite... it is so mesmerizing and calm and peaceful, very special in many ways. ]

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 08/21/08 06:59 AM

I shall ask him that! And I agree- the twenty minute version of "Horizon" is in fact one of my all-time favourite pieces of music. I've never heard the edited version (I'm from England, UK) but I'm sure my current version would be my preferred choice- the listener can really drift away with the music. I never tire of it either, despite its simplicity.

If you like "Horizon", you might like "Traveler" by Wayne Gratz, "Isis" by David Hicken and "Spiegel im Spiegel" by Arvo Part.

I've come to the conclusion that I like melodic, minimalist piano. If anyone has any further recommendations, please can you post them here.

www.piano-heaven.co.uk

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 08/21/08 12:17 PM

A piece very similar in spirit to "Horizon" (repetitive, melodic, minimalist) is "The Great Wheel" by James Asher (from the album of the same name). Thirty minutes of sublimeness.

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 08/22/08 12:02 PM

I've just finished reviewing "Between" by Ralph Zurmühle on Piano-Heaven; the second CD of his I've done. it's an excellent solo piano CD for anyone who likes melodic, relaxing and unhurried piano music.

www.piano-heaven.co.uk

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 09/20/08 11:03 AM

I have just posted an interview with Swiss-born pianist Ralph Zurmühle for anyone who is interested. He has produced some lovely, melodic piano music in the New Age genre.

www.piano-heaven.co.uk

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 10/13/08 10:45 PM

One of my favorite New Age pianists is a guy named John Herberman.

He records for the Solitudes label and has some really beautiful music out.

Posted by: dannac

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 10/14/08 02:59 PM

May be a little off topic .... but

I was searching for Christmas Piano and found the sight of this pianist, that just released a Christmas/Winter CD in July 08.

Very nice ....

http://www.amylaurenpiano.com/
Posted by: Mechanical Doll

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 10/14/08 06:26 PM

I very much enjoy the work of Jennifer Haines. Her MySpace page is HERE .
Posted by: Vince Indy

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 10/24/08 09:01 AM

Abdullah Ibrahim, formerly, dollar Brand, is one of the finest pianists around today

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 10/28/08 09:17 PM

Well, I've been really enjoying two New Age piano CDs over the past few weeks.

The first is called Jeff Herge by, er, Jeff Herge. It was written way back in 1992 but is as fresh as anything around today. I particularly love the track "Raindrops". A great solo-piano CD.

I've also been enjoying "Biography" by the very talented Tim Neumark. There's some beautiful music to be found within his debut CD, released in 2007. I recommend it very much. Another superb solo-piano CD.

Both CDs are reviewed in detail at Piano-Heaven.

Does anyone else have any new recommendations? I have an insatiable thirst for new music! Please post here.

Best Wishes,
Stephen

www.piano-heaven.co.uk
Posted by: Blackbird

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 11/01/08 07:19 AM

Hi, a big thank you,

This is my first introduction to New Wave piano music and I'm having so much enjoyment checking out all your recommendations.

\:\)

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 11/03/08 02:40 PM

Another New Age pianist I enjoy is Jeff Bjorck. Jeff's got a great touch on the piano and his music is first rate. Check out "Pure Piano Portrats" and listen to some tracks for free at http://cdbaby.com/cd/bjorck3

--------------------------------
Play New Age Piano

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 11/05/08 04:11 PM

I have just posted an interview with the very much up-and-coming pianist Tim Neumark. His responses were very interesting, and I recommend his music to anyone with a taste for Kostia, George Winston, etc.
And, yes, I enjoy the music of Jeff Bjorck as well.

Stephen
www.piano-heaven.co.uk

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 11/15/08 03:39 PM

Any Michael Jones fans on here? His music twinkles!

And what about Michael Allen Harrison? The two pianists are almost opposites in style, but are both very talented.

I have just ordered a CD by Helen Jane Long- anyone heard of this pianist?

Have just finished interviewing a US pianist by the name of Jeff Herge. You can read the interview at Piano-Heaven.

Stephen

www.piano-heaven.co.uk

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 11/15/08 04:06 PM

Yeah. Love Michael Jones. In fact, "Pianoscapes" may be the first New Age piano CD I ever bought. Now here's a guy who isn't afraid to just "be" at the piano and share it with the world. Highly recommended.

-----------------------------
Play New Age Piano

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 11/15/08 06:56 PM

I absolutely adore Michael Jones's style of playing. His sound really is quite unique. I love his new album, "Almost Home", but I am particularly fond of the 1987 album "Amber" which featured David Darling on cello. The piano is the dominant instrument, and the cello is in the background... it is a match made in heaven.
Posted by: xcal

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 12/13/08 01:58 PM

This is a little OT, but a link on LearnJazzPiano led me to www.pianotoday.com and an article by W.A. Mathieu. Here's an excerpt:
 Quote:
...(Minimalism) helped spawn the commercial phenom called New Age music... Meredith Monk's Railroad (Travel Song) is a classic example of pianistic minimalism from 1981. Since it is brief, deep, witty, and relatively easy to play, perhaps a little painless analysis would point up what all the fuss is about and, perhaps, draw you into its charms.
I know nothing about Minimalism or New Age, but I'm very interested in hearing the cited work. Has anyone here played "Railroad (Travel Song) and would be willing to post a recording? I've been unable to find a sample on Amazon, youtube or anywhere.

Other Meredith Monk works are on youtube and are interesting.

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 12/13/08 08:07 PM

I have never heard of this piece, and I too would be interested to give it a listen.

W.A. Mathieu (Walter Allaudin Mathieu) composed one of my favourite piano pieces- "To The Well". Have you heard the piece, xcal? It's on the Windows: 25 Years of Windham Hill Piano album, as the original Mathieu recording ("Available Light") has been long Out of Print.

By the way, I have just redesigned Piano-Heaven, for anyone who is interested.

Thank you.

Stephen

www.piano-heaven.co.uk
Posted by: xcal

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 12/14/08 12:49 AM

Steven, I've never heard "To The Well", or any of Mathieu's music. This style of music is all new to me. I downloaded an MP3 from Amazon. It's very nice. I like the voice with the piano.

I did find a book of Meredith Monk's which included "Railroad (Travel Song)" and was able to look at the first page. I recorded it and you can listen here:
http://www.box.net/shared/kuid9m62ci
There's no time sig (tempo is marked "Grounded" \:\) and the meter changes frequently so I'm not sure how it should sound. Y'all may have a new convert. I really like this. I'll probably buy the book.

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 12/14/08 11:20 AM

Hello again,
If you're interested, here's an extract from my review of Windows at Piano-Heaven:

"W.A. Mathieu (Walter Allaudin Mathieu, but sometimes known as Allaudin Mathieu) features in the collection's ninth track- "To the Well". There can be no disputing the fact that this is his most popular composition and very beautiful it is too. Originally written as a solo-piano piece, both Allaudin and Will Ackerman agreed that the track needed that little extra something. Together, they concurred that wordless vocals should be added, and they managed to secure the services of internationally acclaimed composer and vocalist Bobby McFerrin. The addition of the vocals allows the composition to reach new heights and, as such, has become one of my all-time favourite tracks. It has a timeless quality. It's also worth noting that "To the Well" is one of Will Ackerman's favourite tracks in the entire Windham Hill catalogue- and that runs into several hundred tracks."

Best Wishes,
Stephen

www.piano-heaven.co.uk
Posted by: Busy Bee

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 12/19/08 09:52 AM

I think the best new coming New Age Pianist is Phillip Mills. You can find him on you tube or phillipmills.ning.com.

Check him out.
Posted by: Jazz+

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 12/19/08 01:09 PM

W.A. Mathieu (Walter Allaudin Mathieu) is a master of music.

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 12/20/08 05:48 PM

I have just reviewed a wonderful CD by an Oregon-based pianist by the name of Andrew J. Ross. The album is called "The Lighthouse". You can hear samples of Tracks 15 and 16 by clicking on the link below.

Best Wishes,
Stephen

www.piano-heaven.co.uk
Posted by: yacro

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 01/05/09 01:32 AM

excellent thread - I like new age, or rather contemporary instrumental, a lot and most songs I play are in this category, although I do play classical once in awhile as well.

I like the following pianists - Michael Gettel, Yanni, Michael Jones, Christopher Peacock,... looking to expand this list and now I know where and who to search for.
Posted by: warus

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 01/05/09 02:10 AM

Posted by: etcetra

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 01/11/09 12:04 PM

Aaron Parks, Eldar Dgangirov, Taylor Eigsti, Tigran Hamasyan, Gearld Clayton.. they are all world class jazz-pianist under the age of 25

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 07/23/09 08:11 PM

Well, I have just finished reviewing an excellent CD entitled ‘Set on a Hill’ by Chad Lawson. It is relaxing, melodic and very beautiful. I am reminded of a variety of pianists as I listen to the various compositions.... Ludovico Einaudi, Michael Jones, Stephan Moccio and even a little of Michael Gettel in there as well.
Definitely work checking out. You can read the review at www.piano-heaven.co.uk
There is also a musical sample there.
Any more recommendations, anyone?
Posted by: Wimbwicket

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 07/24/09 06:48 AM

My personal favorites are Ludovico Einaudi and Giovanni Allevi. Everybody has heard of Ludovico Einaudi but not many of Giovanni Allevi, maybe because his music is quite hard to play but the music sounds so simple and beatiful. A few examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFIBFd3gKHE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9uBkt7nz_g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKMZ2H_a0z8

I hope you like it smile
Posted by: Jazzed23

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 07/26/09 09:37 AM

I hate to say it but "New age" piano makes me want to puke! It's like drinking Coke if you've never had it before, good for about 5 seconds and then sickly sweet the rest of the way.

Every time I hear it, I want to yell out, "please, just learn an altered chord!!! or some dissonance"... These guys need to listen to Thelonious Monk or Herbie Hancock, or even Jimi Hendrix.

Actually John Tesh could be considered new age, more rock though. His themes for the Olympics and NBA are catchy and somewhat bearable, but Yanni is just gross!
Posted by: shad_d

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 07/26/09 09:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Wimbwicket
My personal favorites are Ludovico Einaudi and Giovanni Allevi. Everybody has heard of Ludovico Einaudi but not many of Giovanni Allevi, maybe because his music is quite hard to play but the music sounds so simple and beatiful. A few examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFIBFd3gKHE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9uBkt7nz_g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKMZ2H_a0z8

I hope you like it smile

Giovanni Allevi has a very unique style. 'Go with the flow' is brilliant, started learning it a few weeks ago.
Posted by: DL33

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 07/27/09 06:40 AM

I'm so glad to hear someone say that New Age is close to Classical. I've had a gut feeling about that all along.

One thing I think New Age/Solo Piano/whatever has in common that separates it from other styles is that it is not meant to be danced to but listened to. It expresses emotion but in a simple way that everyone can relate to (at least the pieces that have a melody do).

My favorite is Secret Garden (violin) but there are so many pianists that I like that there are too many to list. I listen to this music daily and am trying to compose in this style.

I attended a concert of 4 New Age artists recently and I became mesmerized by the music and how evident it was that they played from their inner selves. I truly believe these people will go down in history as the great Classical composers have. We need to appreciate again music that doesn't rely on a thundering bass to give it any kind of merit but is delicate in nature and tansports one to a level higher than the noise of this world. I think New Age does this. The world is just in too much of a rush at the moment to stop and smell this rose in my opinion. The more I share this music with my friends, the more people are amazed that it exists and are won over to it.

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 08/14/09 11:16 AM

Hello again!

A chance encounter in HMV in London led to the purchase of a wonderful piano / cello CD entitled "The River" by Norwegian pianist Ketil Bjørnstad and cellist David Darling (who on a number of occasions collaborated with Canadian pianist Michael Jones in the late eighties).

Anyway, the ensuing CD is superb.

It has made Piano-Heaven, and the review can be read by visiting www.piano-heaven.co.uk and clicking the name of the CD.

You can also hear a preview of one of the tracks here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNl1rJPxp4Q

Hope everyone is well.

Best Wishes,
Stephen
www.piano-heaven.co.uk

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 08/14/09 12:08 PM

That's such a beautiful and bittersweet piece, Stephen, and the accompanying video is also quite moving. Thanks!

A while back there there was a thread in AB Forum on Elijah Bossenbroek, but I don't think he's been mentioned here in this thread, so I'll recommend him here for archival purposes.

He writes very beautiful music, quite reminiscent of Einaudi or Josh Winiberg. You can listen to some samples on his website:

Elijah Bossenbroek's website

My favorite piece of his is "A Song of Simplicity." (It's the one that will start playing if you go to the website.) I've been working for weeks on the sheet music and can play it in a ham-fisted manner. But it's so pretty I'll keep slogging away on it. smile
Posted by: J Cortese

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 08/14/09 12:30 PM

Has anyone mentioned George Winston yet? Him I like, and I admit I'm not that fond of what people think of as "new age" piano since the music is fairly unstructured. I'm not a jazz fan either, though. But Winston's stuff is sort of halfway between stuff you can play in the background and stuff that is worth listening to closely.
Posted by: eweiss

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 08/14/09 12:50 PM

Yep. George is the man. But from what I've heard, he's not going to be producing the music that's made him famous anymore. Instead, he's going to concentrate on "stride" piano.

The guy's a true artist.

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 08/15/09 10:14 AM

Hello, Monica- I like Elijah's music too.... supposed to be doing an interview with him this month. At the moment, I am doing an interview with Chad Lawson.

I also enjoy George Winston's music, and he has an undisputed gift. We are unlikely to see someone become as well known in the genre in the forseeable future, not because of a lack of talented pianists, but rather due to a shortage of big-label backing- distribution, publicity, etc. That is why I designed Piano-Heaven- to promote the beautiful music of (mainly) independent artists (48 CDs to date). All of whom who feature are, in my opinion, supremely talented, and I am sure there are many more out there waiting to be discovered.

I love this thread as it just might highlight someone whose music might go on and give you a great deal of pleasure.

Please keep posting folks.

Stephen
www.piano-heaven.co.uk
Posted by: Musicwoman

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 08/27/09 11:28 AM

How about giving some room to the fresher and newer face? Someone who is from the bottom. Give someone a chance to shine so to speak.
Posted by: feeble

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 09/02/09 04:31 PM

First post and absolute beginner with the piano. Five years ago or so my ex-wife had gotten a CD of a local pianist, Matthew Mayer (http://www.matthewmayer.com) from a friend. The CD was titled "Beyond" and I think most of it is outstanding, particularly the title track "Beyond", "Watching the Clock" and "A New Day". After my divorce, I decided for myself that I was going to do what I wanted to do and not let others (myself included) hold me back. I made a list and although it's taken me a while, I've finally bought an inexpensive DP last week and am waiting for my 1st Alfred book to arrive from Amazon. I'm not sure how he compares to the others posted about in this thread, but Matthew Mayer's music was one of the major inspirations for me to take up the piano. To me, that makes him the best.
Posted by: pianoprodigal

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 09/04/09 10:35 PM

The pianist I listen to most of the time is Danny Wright. He's from Texas and
just an outstanding talent. I guess he's lumped into the new age genre but his
music is so heartfelt, romantic, compelling and uplifting. He definately is not
the typical new age pianist. He doesn't take a "song off". You can feel his heart and soul with every song.
Posted by: marimorimo

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 09/10/09 01:43 AM

I love this thread! I can't believe it's only now that I discovered it. I don't like calling it New Age too - I've dabbled briefly with New Age in the past (divination) and I have some New Age-y records for meditating and as ambient music, but I have a hard time lumping together Einaudi, Yann Tiersen, Elijah Bossenbroek, etc. in the same league as my ambient music. I like calling the genre Contemporary Classical instead. To me, this genre is like classical music, made better. I love classical, but I have to say I can understand and relate to the more contemporary works better. I discovered my love for these wonderful instrumental solos mostly through game/anime/movie soundtracks, and it's only recently that I've begun discovering individual artists that don't have a major production company backing them. My favorite composer thus far is Nobuo Uematsu of Final Fantasy fame. I always listen to the solo piano albums from Final Fantasy VII and X during my weekly long commute.

Another Japanese composer I love is Kajiura Yuki who writes both songs and background music for games and anime. My favorite work of hers is the OST for the anime Noir. It was while watching that show that I became aware for the first time of the beauty and importance of background music in videos! The music lent a certain feel to the anime that would've otherwise been impossible to achieve. Imagine a scene where a young girl assassin is blasting the brains out of some random bad guys in suits. But instead of adrenaline-pumping background instrumentals with electric guitars, the music playing is a song called 'Canta Per Me' which sounds more like a baroque hymn/chant sung at church! It felt very surreal - I never really noticed the significance of background music until that moment. However, I hardly know of any solo piano works from her (she uses a lot of different instruments in her compositions) though I know she's a good pianist so I'm not sure if she counts.

I recently discovered Einaudi and Elijah Bossenbroek through Pianoworld ABF. Good stuff. And now because of this thread, I've discoverd David Nevue. I have yet to buy his albums, but I really like the samples from his site. I think I'll have to create a fund to buy a Contemporary Classical album or two each month grin

@Stephen C: I love your site! Thanks so much for sharing to the world the love for this underrated genre of music. Can you recommend an artist/album with a bit more flourish, a la Elijah Bossenbroek? I find that quieter works tend to be drowned out while I'm riding a noisy bus (where I do most of my listening), and I prefer music that captures my full attention.
Posted by: Nikalette

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 09/10/09 11:46 AM

Not a new age listener, just got drawn in here by the reference to the great and irritating jazz pianist Keith Jarrett as a new age pianist.

New age is a term that was first used to define a type of spirituality...not exactly a religion, but an anti-religion. It's been around longer than new age music.

New Age spirituality is generally an amalgam of whatever a proponent wants it to be, including elements of eastern religions, reincarnation, paganism, wicca, nature worship, Native American religions, success oriented philosophy guru stuff.....

That's where the term came from. So for me, new age music was and is that moody, meditative, free form, pretty sound, seems to be mostly original compositions, soft and relaxed.

It really has nothing in common with jazz which is much more complex, more often played in at least a trio, and has a foundation almost as stringent as classical: the basic chords are at minimum 7th chords, often 9ths, 11ths, 13ths, it is often fast and hard driving, includes a lot of resolving dissonance and is often based on a standard type of song, which is then completely recreated. It involves the use of many different diatonic scales and other scales, some popularized by jazz musicians (be-bop), blues musicians (blues) others used by folk/rock as well (dorian and pentatonic scales).

You can go to most universities with music programs and major in either classical or jazz, but I don't think you would find many courses of study for new age music.

It's kind of a niche I think, and although I don't doubt there are some wonderful musicians, sadly some of the hacks like John Tesh and Yanni really give this music a bad name.
Posted by: SOGNO

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 09/12/09 05:50 PM

I have been watching the pianist Gustavo Romero perform on several occasions. In fact I try not to miss any of his performances.
He comes to South Africa quite often and was in Cape Town (where I stay) on the 16th. of August and played 4 of Beethoven's Piano Sonatas. Gustavo is a Steinway Virtuoso and has a stellar reputation for both the technical brilliance and interpretive depth of his playing. He is now Associate Professor of the piano at the university of North Texas. During his last concert I have been told that Gustavo is now rated as 1 of the 10 top pianists in the word. Watching him play is quite an experience. I have had the privilege of meeting with him twice and chatting with him. He is also a very humble man

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 09/27/09 11:43 AM

Hello!
I have just finished an interview with highly talented American pianist Chad Lawson. His album, Set on a Hill, has been nominated for Whisperings' Album of the Year 2009. Anyway, I found his responses very interesting and I think people here might enjoy the interview. It can be found here:

www.piano-heaven.co.uk

And thank you Marimorimo for your kind words. If you like Elijah, try Philip Aaberg (Blue West / Live from Montana) both of which feature on Piano-Heaven. You might also wish to check out the work of Michael Allen Harrison- "Composer / Pianist" is a good place to start. Again, this is featured on the site.

I am hoping to interview Elijah soon.

Best Wishes to all,
Stephen
www.piano-heaven.co.uk
Posted by: VirtuosicOne

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 09/27/09 09:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Jazzed23
I hate to say it but "New age" piano makes me want to puke! It's like drinking Coke if you've never had it before, good for about 5 seconds and then sickly sweet the rest of the way.

Every time I hear it, I want to yell out, "please, just learn an altered chord!!! or some dissonance"... These guys need to listen to Thelonious Monk or Herbie Hancock, or even Jimi Hendrix.

Thank your lucky stars that Eweiss didn't see your post or you would have been in for a 50 minute lecture and a $50 fine! whome
Posted by: eweiss

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 09/27/09 10:05 PM

Originally Posted By: VirtuosicOne
Originally Posted By: Jazzed23

Thank your lucky stars that Eweiss didn't see your post or you would have been in for a 50 minute lecture and a $50 fine! whome

I did see it. To each his own. I don't like Jazz all that much either. Others do. End of story. 3hearts

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 09/27/09 10:16 PM

Originally Posted By: eweiss
I did see it. To each his own. I don't like Jazz all that much either. Others do. End of story. 3hearts

And I thought he snuck that one by you! wink

Anyway, IMO, Keith Jarrett's playing on Koln COncert was the perfect fusion of new age and jazz.

Posted by: Jazz+

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 09/28/09 01:19 AM

Is this new age?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKuEJBKRW4M

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 09/28/09 05:38 AM

Originally Posted By: Nikalette
the great and irritating jazz pianist Keith Jarrett.

What irritates you about Keith? Just curious.
Posted by: marimorimo

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 09/28/09 09:49 AM

@Stephen C.: Thanks a lot for the recommendations! I'll check out Philip Aaberg and Michael Allen smile

Your interview with Chad Lawson was very interesting. Now I'm curious about him too, especially since he's worked with David Nevue. Now 'Set on a Hill' joins my very looong CD wish list. Arghh, if only international shipping wasn't such a pain and so expensive! frown
Posted by: bopdubop

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 09/29/09 08:24 AM

Philip Aaberg is by far one of my favs. I heard his album after searching through a list of others and instantly thought "now this is what I'm looking for". The album is High Plains.

As a professional pianist, I was just taken by his talent. Very creative, lyrical and although you can tell he's such a proficient musician technically, he keeps doesn't display this "look what I can do" air about him.
Posted by: MiM

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 09/29/09 08:47 PM

Kieth is may be talented to some, but he's sick and I think he gives music a bad name.

You listen to this, and if you can say you honestly like it, then .... what can I say!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Iv4F17Kw4o&feature=PlayList&p=5162F2879F8D2C6F&index=38
Posted by: Swingin' Barb

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 09/29/09 09:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Music_in_Me
You listen to this, and if you can say you honestly like it, then .... what can I say!

I can honestly say I love it. I listen to him often. He exudes music from every pore of his body.

Barb
Posted by: jazzwee

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 09/30/09 02:41 PM

Yes - this is SICK. Big time SICK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq0EWNuR1H8

May I be 10% as sick please?

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 09/30/09 10:50 PM

Originally Posted By: VirtuosicOne

Anyway, IMO, Keith Jarrett's playing on Koln COncert was the perfect fusion of new age and jazz.

That's an excellent way to describe it. thumb Much/most of Jarrett's work wouldn't "count" as new age, but the Koln Concert surely does in my estimation.

Say, VirtuosicOne, are you the reincarnation of the PW Member Formerly Known as Virtuosic? If so, welcome back! smile

Er, if not, welcome to the forum anyway! wink

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 10/01/09 01:34 AM

Originally Posted By: Monica K.
Say, VirtuosicOne, are you the reincarnation of the PW Member Formerly Known as Virtuosic? If so, welcome back! smile

I'll have to plead the fifth on that one. wink
Posted by: Pologuy

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 10/05/09 03:38 AM

Yeah, Yanni, who would like him.....

He earned Grammy nominations for his album, Dare to Dream, and the follow-up, In My Time.

He has accumulated more than 35 platinum and gold albums globally, with sales totaling over 20 million copies.

His compositions have been included in ALL Olympic Games television broadcasts since 1988...

And yes, Glass is new age....

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 08/03/11 04:24 PM

Current favourites include Michele McLaughlin, Eric Harry, Brian King, Brule and Carly Comando- all of whom have just been reviewed at Piano-Heaven.

Best Wishes,
Stephen

www.piano-heaven.co.uk
Posted by: BadOrange

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 08/03/11 07:21 PM

Originally Posted By: jazzwee

Yes - this is SICK. Big time SICK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq0EWNuR1H8

May I be 10% as sick please?

looks like he is having some heroin nodding and body tremors. Honestly. How does one not realize they look like an utter fool at that age. Has no had the gall to just say straight up, you look like a junkie about to nod off. It would be less distracting if he just told the crowd while playing how emotional this is and how it is kicking your ass instead of those jerky body contortions.

One of the few musicians that just needs to be slapped very hard and told NO! . Stop it. It isn't cool. Slap,
Posted by: cubop

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 08/03/11 07:51 PM

Jazzwee, and some others, perhaps. I wonder if it would not be nice with a: Big Time Sick Pianist thread. I think I am sick enough to qualify.
Another interesting thread would be: Todays most stupid post on Pianoworld. On this very day its really really hard to qualify for that.
Am waiting with abated breath for next entry, wherever it might turn up.

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 08/08/11 06:57 PM

Originally Posted By: bopdubop
Philip Aaberg is by far one of my favs.
I mentioned Aaberg on probably page 1 of this thread. He is excellent. If you like High Plains, get Live From Montana.

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 08/18/11 12:49 PM

Yes, I enjoy Philip Aaberg- I love the album Blue West, especially the track where a passing train honks its horn in a piece about the railways during a live performance, much to the amusement and delight of all concerned.

Anyway, I am assuming that if you're reading this thread, you must have an interest in New Age piano or contemporary piano music if that is your preferred term.

To that end, I am hoping that as many of you as possible would like to give some exposure to artists that you enjoy listening to. If there is an album or even if it is just a track that you think deserves wider exposure, please submit the information to me by visiting the web-site below (and following the link).

New-Age piano has given me so much pleasure over the years, that this is just one tiny way in which I can give something back.

Thank you in advance for your recommendations.

Stephen smile
www.piano-heaven.co.uk

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 10/14/11 03:28 PM

Well, two great new albums to tell you about: There's a new Bernward Koch album out entitled 'Silent Star', with some beautiful piano melodies, and there's a great Chad Lawson CD just released called 'The Piano'. Both are excellent, and are reviewed in full at www.piano-heaven.co.uk
Posted by: jazztpt

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 10/15/11 02:38 PM

For those that don't care for Keith Jarrett how about John Taylor
John Taylor - Summer

Absolute master pianist and musician ,this music has such depth - actually this is not New age piano in any sense of the word and IMO Keith Jarrett should not be mentioned in any conservaton about it either.

Of course I am a bit biased, Keith Jarrett is my favourite pianist and John Taylor a close second cool
Posted by: daviel

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 10/15/11 05:04 PM

I thought classifying oneself as a "new age" player disqualified one from "best" anything - by definition.
Posted by: Dara

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 10/28/11 12:53 PM

Originally Posted By: jazztpt

John Taylor - Summer
Of course I am a bit biased, Keith Jarrett is my favourite pianist and John Taylor a close second cool

Thanks for that jazzpt. I just came across your posting and listened to this piece. I haven't heard of John Taylor before. Really enjoyed listening to this piece and upon doing a bit of research see that he has a very extensive output of recordings both solo and with others. I shall listen to more of his playing.

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 12/27/11 12:31 PM

I don't normally like music that is from one company that we find over here in England in "new agey" type shops- but this one was a real surprise, which I found in a run-down shop in the Lake District! It is entitled, "Piano by the Sea" and is by a company called Global Journey. The sound of waves is present throughout, but the eleven piano melodies themselves are all very different and pleasing to the ear.

A review is posted at www.piano-heaven.co.uk along with the opportunity to listen to one of the tracks in full.

Best Wishes to everyone.
Stephen

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 04/09/12 09:20 AM

Well, if you like original contemporary piano music, I think you'll love Michele McLaughlin's new CD, 'Breathing in the Moment', containing fifteen melodic and very personal tracks. I love it, and have just now reviewed it for Piano-Heaven.

Definitely worth checking out!

www.piano-heaven.co.uk

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 08/18/12 06:58 AM

WOW! Just been blown away by the incredible music of Jennifer Thomas- piano and orchestration-. Her new CD is entitled 'Illumination'. 73 minutes in length, and every one of the 17 tracks is superb. This is not gentle piano music- this is piano with attitude! The CD is reviewed at www.piano-heaven.co.uk and there are samples at the composer's website.

This CD must surely be in contention for a Grammy.

Best Wishes to everyone.
Stephen

www.piano-heaven.co.uk
Posted by: fish-n-musician

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 09/08/12 12:32 PM

for all you folks commenting on this subject, I would agree with a lot of what has been said. I am a pianist and I consider myself in the ranks of George Winston who is one of my faves by the way along with Liberace. Some have mentioned Danny Wright and if you like his stuff then I would think you would really like mine. I have 30 albums with some new ones in the works, I sing some and have written 3 albums worth of music which 2 are out currently. I feel a lot of the folks on this site like piano so, I think you would like mine since these are the people who have been buying my music since the early 90's and still do at festivals and shows. www.cdbaby.com/all/gerestimusic has a lot of samples and my site has 1 for each album but is the whole song. Look forward to hearing back from you as I accidentaly came across this site. Bob
Posted by: Saint Del

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 11/19/12 10:20 PM

The original Windham Hill Piano Sampler was my intro to this music followed by Piano Sampler II and many of those artists have remained favorites of mine. I found the Windham Hill artists to have more depth in their compositions than say the Narada artists, whose compositions sometimes lacked development, were more superficially sweet yet not ultimately satisfying. I understand the charges made against this music, that it is mostly fluff and no substance, and this is often true. Nonetheless, there is some good stuff there too. Yanni, hover, to my mind is among the worst, can't stand his music. An exercise in vacuous grandiosity is the only way I can describe it.
Posted by: jarosujo

Re: Who is the best current new age pianist? - 11/22/12 02:33 AM

There are many New Age radio stations on Web, it should help to specify this genre a little. IMHO, most of the videos in this thread have nothing to do with New Age. I can't stand them for more than 10 seconds, so they must be Jazz :-)