Piano World Home Page
Posted By: Saul Finale 2011 VS. Sibelius 7 - 08/01/11 10:49 PM
Before I upgrade to Finale 2011...do you think that its better to go for Sibelius, never used it before, but what are the benefits of Sibelius over Finale 2011?

Cheers,

Saul
Posted By: BadOrange Re: Finale 2011 VS. Sibelius 7 - 08/02/11 12:07 AM
Sibelius has a much better workflow. Been like that for a while now. The take over by avid is also a sign that it won't disappear anytime soon and they are able to implement code for easier plugin compatibility
Posted By: D4v3 Re: Finale 2011 VS. Sibelius 7 - 08/02/11 12:10 AM
I'm pretty sure Finale is still considered the best choice out there by the majority of people but I think it comes down to what you intend to do and which system offers the easy ability for you.
Posted By: BadOrange Re: Finale 2011 VS. Sibelius 7 - 08/02/11 12:17 AM
I think that used to be the case as it is just older but most professionals I know have made the switch. Haven't met a finale user in a long time. I did orchestration for a few years so I had to know both as I would get files in both and boy was finale such a pita

I would use what you are used to. They both can do the same.
Posted By: ChopinAddict Re: Finale 2011 VS. Sibelius 7 - 08/02/11 02:56 AM
I used both and prefer Sibelius by far.
Posted By: Saul Re: Finale 2011 VS. Sibelius 7 - 08/02/11 04:04 AM
Thanks for the info, for some reason I'm more interested in the Sibelius.
After some more research, Ill make my decision.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Posted By: Exalted Wombat Re: Finale 2011 VS. Sibelius 7 - 08/02/11 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by Saul
Before I upgrade to Finale 2011...do you think that its better to go for Sibelius, never used it before, but what are the benefits of Sibelius over Finale 2011?

Won't it be time for Finale 2012 soon? The main changes in the just-released Sibelius 7 are better handling of text and a "ribbon" menu system (ugggghh!). Oh yes, and a new sound set (yawn). If you want a sequencer, buy a sequencer.

The great advantage of staying on Finale is that your old Finale files will still work! Scores CAN be transferred, but there's a lot of tidying up to do.
Posted By: Saul Re: Finale 2011 VS. Sibelius 7 - 08/02/11 01:47 PM
Ok, I have just purchased the crossgrade version of sibelius 7, and its downloading...
Hey paying $200 is always better the $600 lol...
Waiting for the full download to my computer and then I will check it out and begin to see how it works...

Cheers,

Saul
Posted By: Exalted Wombat Re: Finale 2011 VS. Sibelius 7 - 08/02/11 02:29 PM
Now you'll have TWO notation programs to play with! Do let us know which you like best.
Posted By: Saul Re: Finale 2011 VS. Sibelius 7 - 08/02/11 04:18 PM
Ok...I'll let you know...

Some basic question, I just created a small sample piano score on Sibelius, when I wanted to save it as a wav file (audio), it doesnt let me do that saying that 'I dont have any virtual instruments" and I can only save it as a midi file...

What's up with that?

In finale it gives you a choice 'special save' to save it as a wav file...

So what do I have to do to save sibelius scores as Audio wav files?

Thanks...

Also the playback quality of the midi in the sibelius is aweful, worse then the finale, any reason why it is so? do I have to change anything?
Posted By: Saul Re: Finale 2011 VS. Sibelius 7 - 08/02/11 04:28 PM
Whatever, I think I'm asking too many questions before the download has been completed.
Now I'm downloading the Sibelius 7 Sounds that comes with it, lets see what would happen...hehe
Posted By: Exalted Wombat Re: Finale 2011 VS. Sibelius 7 - 08/02/11 04:34 PM
Ok...I'll let you know...

Some basic question, I just created a small sample piano score on Sibelius, when I wanted to save it as a wav file (audio), it doesnt let me do that saying that 'I dont have any virtual instruments" and I can only save it as a midi file...

What's up with that?

In finale it gives you a choice 'special save' to save it as a wav file...

So what do I have to do to save sibelius scores as Audio wav files?

Thanks...

Also the playback quality of the midi in the sibelius is aweful, worse then the finale, any reason why it is so? do I have to change anything?

It sounds as if you haven't routed audio playback to a virtual instrument. Have you installed any? Unfortunately, Finale supplies one that is locked to Finale, Sibelius one locked to Sibelius.

You'll be hearing the MIDI synth provided as part of your operating system.
Posted By: Saul Re: Finale 2011 VS. Sibelius 7 - 08/02/11 04:37 PM
"routed audio playback to a virtual instrument"...

Can you please explain what that means?
Posted By: Saul Re: Finale 2011 VS. Sibelius 7 - 08/02/11 04:51 PM
I mean these are the virtual sounds that are now downloading into my computer, I will have to load them into sibelius once completed... is that what you meant?
Posted By: Exalted Wombat Re: Finale 2011 VS. Sibelius 7 - 08/02/11 05:00 PM
Though you'll be very welcome on the Sibelius support forum at www.sibelius.com, and/or the mail-list at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sibelius-list/, it would probably be better if you first went to File/Help in Sibelius 7 and worked through at least the first few tutorials.
Posted By: Saul Re: Finale 2011 VS. Sibelius 7 - 08/02/11 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by Exalted Wombat
Though you'll be very welcome on the Sibelius support forum at www.sibelius.com, and/or the mail-list at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sibelius-list/, it would probably be better if you first went to File/Help in Sibelius 7 and worked through at least the first few tutorials.

Ok cool, thanks...

"I mean these are the virtual sounds that are now downloading into my computer, I will have to load them into sibelius once completed... is that what you meant?"...

Is this what you meant?
Posted By: Exalted Wombat Re: Finale 2011 VS. Sibelius 7 - 08/02/11 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by Exalted Wombat

Ok cool, thanks...

"I mean these are the virtual sounds that are now downloading into my computer, I will have to load them into sibelius once completed... is that what you meant?"...

Is this what you meant?

Sort of. Read section 1.11 of the Reference Manual while you're waiting for the sounds to arrive and install. The Manual is behind the ? symbol, top right of the Sibelius & window.
Posted By: Saul Re: Finale 2011 VS. Sibelius 7 - 08/02/11 06:33 PM
Will do, thanks....

The entire software is huge, over 60 GB...my hardrive has 500 GB, but I have many other programs,and I can already feel that the computer is working slower. I guess I have to delete lots of files to create enough room in my computer...
Posted By: Saul Re: Finale 2011 VS. Sibelius 7 - 08/02/11 06:49 PM
One important question for anyone that may know please.

I have imported a Musicxml file from finale to Sibelius. The problem is though it plays with the new Sounds 7 Grandpiano beautiful sound, I cant seem to find a way to change the tempi, for the original finale file score was agitato and pretty fast, but Sibelius plays this musicxml file in a slower tempi, anyone knows how to edit the tempi?

Much thanks...
Posted By: Exalted Wombat Re: Finale 2011 VS. Sibelius 7 - 08/02/11 07:05 PM
PLEASE run through the first Tutorial project. Right now! It will take you a couple of hours. Then, when you know the basics of how Sibelius works, feel free to ask about anything you didn't understand.
Posted By: Saul Re: Finale 2011 VS. Sibelius 7 - 08/02/11 07:41 PM
YEA BUT I DONT SEE THE TEMPO SLIDER ON MY SIBELIUS, WHERE IS IT?

Very odd no Tempo slider!!!
Posted By: Exalted Wombat Re: Finale 2011 VS. Sibelius 7 - 08/02/11 07:46 PM
It's on the Transport Bar, which may be turned on in the View menu. But that's only for quick-and-dirty tempo adjustment. It won't affect the tempo of Exported audio for instance. Do it properly with a Tempo Text object at the beginning of the score, or an explicit mm mark value.
Posted By: Saul Re: Finale 2011 VS. Sibelius 7 - 08/02/11 07:49 PM
THANKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol!
Posted By: JohnSprung Re: Finale 2011 VS. Sibelius 7 - 08/02/11 08:23 PM
Before bidding farewell to Ben Franklin yet again, perhaps consider the free open source program, MuseScore. They've released their version 1.1, with many bug fixes, and enhanced support for chord symbols and lead sheets.

http://musescore.org/

-- J.S.
Posted By: Saul Re: Finale 2011 VS. Sibelius 7 - 08/02/11 09:04 PM
I'm begining to get used to Sibelius 7, Its Awesome!
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums