Whish! The Flight of an Angel

Posted by: Mark Nicol

Whish! The Flight of an Angel - 10/10/12 07:09 PM

No. 3 in the set "Glimpses of Heaven", the 'Scherzo' of the set:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvL7a3BGBbA&feature=plcp
Posted by: Steve Chandler

Re: Whish! The Flight of an Angel - 10/11/12 09:13 AM

I didn't want to like this piece, mostly due to the nature of our last communication, but if I'm honest, I do (like it that is). At about 2 minutes length I can't accuse you of being long winded. So there you have it, nice job!
Posted by: Mark Nicol

Re: Whish! The Flight of an Angel - 10/11/12 05:12 PM

Thanks Steve,

I also listened to the first of your piano pieces on your Composer's Forum site. I thought that you have the one vital ingredient that separates the artist from those who merely wish, or pretend: You have something individual to say.
That is actually very, very rare.

On an aesthetic note, I totally agree with you that conciseness is everything. However, with larger and more condensed canvases the entry into 'the world' can be difficult, for both the artist and the audience. Only saps would sit at home and religiously listen through the whole of a Wagner opera, as if all of the music has 'content'. The real content lays only with the Preludes, maybe the Interludes and the 'Arias'. But what a world it is - there really could have been no Mahler, Strauss, or even Debussy without it - for even he was addicted to Wagner, early on. (Have a close listen to some of the chromatic harmonies in Prelude L'Apres Midi).

On an amusing note I see you have a martial arts black belt. Here in Australia we had a new neighbour who upset me by playing ACDC flat out on a Sunday afternoon. So, despite the fact that he looked like a 'worked out' dangerous mongrel I fronted him and told him "To shut his f'in music up!" The next day I saw his photo in the local paper - 'Australasian kick-boxing champion'. Amusing, hey? But all points to him, ultimately. He realised that I was a guitar teacher who obviously like classical music, (as I had also referenced the likely calibre of his demographic emanation), so from there on in he not only dropped the volume levels to mp, but when he did play music, it was opera!

Have a good day Steve. Thanks for the praise, and I'll listen for your voice.
Posted by: Tim Adrianson

Re: Whish! The Flight of an Angel - 10/12/12 08:51 AM

Your best yet, Mark! TRULY magical; inventive throughout. Definitely looking forward to hearing your next "glimpses". Thanks for sharing these!