New Composition + Sheet

Posted by: Goshal904

New Composition + Sheet - 10/14/12 07:31 AM

Hi there smile

Here is a very simple little piece that I made the other day. A friend of mine created the sheet music for me, since I compose by ear only.

Please have a listen and if you like the piece (which is very easy) please download the sheet music and play it smile

Music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofjpvYYzk..._iWN1NkL7W1LdMq

Sheet: http://www.annemievanriel.be/lijsten/pdf/Goshal4InnerPiece.pdf

Thanks
Posted by: Exalted Wombat

Re: New Composition + Sheet - 10/14/12 10:22 AM

I had two comments to make. One is purely practical. Get your friend to change the notation so that it more accurately shows the rhythm you want for those short notes. The acciaccatura will be misinterpreted.

My second thought was - really nice phrase, but to fill that amount of time you really need to do more than just repeat it over and over! Then I listened to some of your other pieces on YouTube. Each tends to have just one idea. What if you used more than one of them in a single piece? Beautiful moments are important. So is structure.
Posted by: Goshal904

Re: New Composition + Sheet - 10/14/12 10:45 AM

Thank you for the tips smile

I am self taught pianist and ''composer'' I just improvise a lot and sometimes certain melodies come. The pieces are very simple and work with very little material indeed smile

I don't know much about music theory to make them longer, but I'll see what comes in the future smile

Thanks for listening smile
Posted by: Exalted Wombat

Re: New Composition + Sheet - 10/17/12 09:27 AM

No theory required, other than the very basic "If something feels like it's been going on too long, do something else for a bit, then return to the first thing".

Coo! We've invented Ternary Form! :-)
Posted by: Foxes

Re: New Composition + Sheet - 10/27/12 11:20 PM

This doesn't hold up after sustained listening, but it works on a purely "backround music" level, I could see this playing in a meditation class.

I did enjoy it, except the final cadence/chord, it was too loud and low.