Rhythm...I...how?

Posted by: FSO

Rhythm...I...how? - 01/09/13 10:26 AM

Obviously we could extrapolate to "how does anything in music do anything?", but that question seems more liable as adoption by a treatise than any help I could hope one of you to be bothered with assisting me in the present tense...so, um, to the point; how does rhythm work? I don't mean to ask for a breakdown of minims and quavers, or triplets and polyrhythms, um, let's assume we all have all the jargon and knowhow as far as that's concerned, no, how does...how does the rhythm work? Beautiful melodies and harmonies are so often supported by the seeming delay and rushing of where one should expect the notes to, temporally, lay...so, um, is this it? Surprise, little discrepancies, perhaps a sense of loss when the melody appears abandoned which is quickly and wonderfully healed with its emergence? I...I mean, um, I don't struggle using them, who does? I'd just love to understand them...see, I recently started composing again and just...it's going fine, I just...it's a little niggle; what if...what if I'm doing it wrong? shocked ... laugh But really, I do fret that, perhaps, it could be just that little closer to how I would adore if I simply had a tiny bit of knowledge behind my wild and vastly undirected flounderings.
I hope you're all quite well, thank you for taking the time to read this...have a lovely day! ... Or night!
Xxx
Posted by: rada

Re: Rhythm...I...how? - 01/10/13 10:34 PM

Probably like a lot of things in life it [ rhythm] just happens. I seem to like to write pieces that begin in4/4 and end in 3/4....or vice-versa.... . I don't like to question why I prefer to study how.

rada
Posted by: Sand Tiger

Re: Rhythm...I...how? - 01/11/13 05:41 PM

There is an excellent series on Youtube on music appreciation. The link is to Part 1 of How Rhythm Works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_jEkNiYFNc

There are similar multiple segments on melody, harmony, lyrics. It is a great series for songwriters, composers, or anyone who desires a deeper understanding of music, music history, and how and why it all fits together.