Do you know how to comp for a singer?

Posted by: Sandra M

Do you know how to comp for a singer? - 02/07/13 06:44 PM

Do you know how to comp for a singer or yourself singing? Elkton John type of comping where there is no melody line just chords to support his own melody singing? If so please tell me how you learned and how to comp basics. Thank you , Sandra M
Posted by: Nikolas

Re: Do you know how to comp for a singer? - 02/08/13 01:52 AM

Sandra,

You're pretty much asking for a couple of years lesson in a thread. It's a bit unrealistic... :-/

However,

I usually start with the drum loop, or feeling, or whatever (since I'm doing the production myself), and also a pattern on the strings, or the guitar, or the piano, etc... Then comes the harmony and at the same time I get a feeling on the lyrics (which most of the times are my own) and work out the melody according to the harmony. I'm a harmonic man, not a melodic one.

Here's a song I did somewhat recently...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynbTYEv1egE

The strings came first, and then the voice melody, along with the lyrics. Everything else came later on...
Posted by: R0B

Re: Do you know how to comp for a singer? - 02/08/13 04:14 AM

An important part of this type of playing, is to bring out the bass line in the left hand, while at the same time, distributing the chords between the left and right hands.
Depending on the song, often the chords don't need to sound too'full'

Just remember, you have to be the rhythm and bass section, as much as anything else smile