August Rush: movies about composing music?

Posted by: Sand Tiger

August Rush: movies about composing music? - 02/08/13 07:41 PM

The movie August Rush features a vagabond child who is a musical prodigy. Unlike most child prodigies, his talent is composition, not performance.

There are a couple of scenes where the child talks about where the music comes from. Some of it sounds similar to where others get their original ideas from. Anyone who has ever written any original music will likely appreciate those scenes. Those that feel like their original music comes from somewhere else will especially appreciate it.

I am not much of a movie person. Are there many more movies about composing music? I can vaguely remember Amadeus about Mozart. The Jim Morrison Doors movie tangentially touches upon his creative process. I am sure there are many more, but I don't know of them.

Posted by: Eric Robinson

Re: August Rush: movies about composing music? - 02/08/13 10:26 PM

Immortal Beloved was a fantastic film based on Beethoven. None of these films are supposed to be taken too literally as history, of course.
Posted by: Sand Tiger

Re: August Rush: movies about composing music? - 02/09/13 08:04 PM

Thanks for mentioning the Beethoven movie.

This season of the TV series Smash (NBC Tuesday nights in the U.S., probably will also be available on Hulu for international viewers) is likely to delve deeper into fiction for songwriters because several of the characters write music. Fictional scripted TV is even further removed from the real world than the docu-drama movies, but I still find it interesting.