Rhapsody for Piano Steve Chandler

Posted by: Tim Adrianson

Rhapsody for Piano Steve Chandler - 05/18/13 01:00 PM

Can't post the File properly from box.com -- no one else can access -- and so I simply deleted the File until further notice.
Posted by: Michael Sayers

Re: Rhapsody for Piano Steve Chandler - 05/19/13 02:28 AM

It is a wonderful piece of music. I'll be interested to hear your recording of it when it is here!

Mvh,
Michael
Posted by: Steve Chandler

Re: Rhapsody for Piano Steve Chandler - 05/19/13 01:57 PM

Hi All,

I put Tim's recording on my Soundcloud page. Here's the link:

https://soundcloud.com/pantonality/rhapsody

Thanks Tim, great job!
Posted by: Michael Sayers

Re: Rhapsody for Piano Steve Chandler - 05/19/13 03:09 PM

A super and moving composition - also one of power - and a superb pianist . . . this is meant sincerely, not as flattery.

I wanted to be sure to listen before disappearing from pianoworld again for a while!

Mvh,
Michael
Posted by: Schubertslieder

Re: Rhapsody for Piano Steve Chandler - 05/19/13 10:12 PM

That is some fantastic playing, Tim!

This piece is free from forms and improvisatory in nature.
After listening to it three times, I did hear a few similar returns but not enough to assign forms. Melody seemed to shift from treble to bass in a few areas. Coda was clearly stated.
Posted by: Steve Chandler

Re: Rhapsody for Piano Steve Chandler - 05/20/13 09:12 AM

Originally Posted By: Schubertslieder
That is some fantastic playing, Tim!

This piece is free from forms and improvisatory in nature.
After listening to it three times, I did hear a few similar returns but not enough to assign forms. Melody seemed to shift from treble to bass in a few areas. Coda was clearly stated.

I succeeded! I intended for it to have a free dramatic form, hence the term Rhapsody as opposed to Rondo or Sonata. In actuality, this piece is interesting because it's based on a very small number of ideas that are varied significantly, sort of a combination of variations and sonata form. If you listen carefully you should notice that the melody in the detached bass section is the same as the melody that the left hand plays against the chords in the right, both are based on the melodic outline of the opening section. I believe this hidden structure helps the piece sound well integrated and yet the variation gives it an improvisatory feel.

Thanks for noticing.
Posted by: Nikolas

Re: Rhapsody for Piano Steve Chandler - 05/20/13 01:10 PM

A much louder version can be found here:

http://www.nikolas-sideris.com/EMF/rhapsody_steve_chandler.mp3

(and cleaned up from the hiss)...
Posted by: Schubertslieder

Re: Rhapsody for Piano Steve Chandler - 05/20/13 02:32 PM

Cool...I waited for the "pumped up" sound with more muscle to arrive.

There is a covered structure throughout the piece, the outline of melodies on both hands as Steve pointed out.
Left hand sounds more prominent because it is an actual melody as opposed to the right, which are built with chords.

It is a cool piece with fantastic playing. Nice job!