Posted by: JoelW

Re: Deleted - 10/15/13 02:46 PM

Looks like you figured it out. grin
Posted by: Polyphonist

Re: Deleted - 10/15/13 04:07 PM

Indeed. grin

Re: Deleted - 10/15/13 04:40 PM

I wish I had Sibelius. Is Sibelius or Finale better?

Re: Deleted - 10/15/13 04:46 PM

Sibelius is better, in my opinion, but they're both good programs.

Re: Deleted - 10/15/13 04:48 PM

What do you like about it better?

Re: Deleted - 10/15/13 04:52 PM

Well, they just updated their sound library, so now their sounds are far more realistic and of better quality than those in Finale. That's one benefit. Also, I just find it easier to navigate and use. That might be just because I'm more used to Sibelius, but I don't think that's all of it.

Re: Deleted - 10/15/13 04:58 PM

Sounds interesting.
Posted by: ChopinAddict

Re: Deleted - 10/15/13 06:10 PM

I feel exactly like Polyphonist. I am also more used to Sibelius, but I don't think that's the only reason.
Posted by: Nikolas

Re: Deleted - 10/15/13 11:05 PM

I feel the exact opposite from Polyphonist: I use both software almost equally for EMF, but recently I've decided to stop using Sibelius and stick with Finale! The output is better, in my opinion...

... and apparently I'm not the only one thinking this. The general consensus is that Sibelius is slightly easier to use and rather faster to input notes, but Finale produces slightly better looking scores.

As far as capabilities is concerned, I think both are almost equally good, though I have a hunch that Finale has a few more tricks up its sleeve for the knowledgeable folks.

Finally Sibelius definitely has better sounding library, but I don't care one bit for that. I use notation software, for its notation features, not its sound features.

and one other thing. Both companies are in trouble more or less. Avid (the owners of Sibelius) fired the whole team about a year ago and took production elsewhere, while makemusic (the owners of Finale) didn't produce the yearly update they used to, plus their stock holders seem to be less than happy.

For me the choice of notation software should be based on personal experience and getting used to, as well as peer usage. The rest are details more or less.
Posted by: wr

Re: Deleted - 10/17/13 06:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Nikolas
Avid (the owners of Sibelius) fired the whole team about a year ago and took production elsewhere, while makemusic (the owners of Finale) didn't produce the yearly update they used to, plus their stock holders seem to be less than happy.

I think the stockholders of makemusic are happy enough - they were bought out, and now the company is private.