Piano World Home Page
Posted By: Polyphonist New Four Hand Piece - 11/01/13 04:08 PM
Here's a small piece for piano four hands. It's the first of a set. (The reason for the discrepancy in difficulty between the parts is that it needs to be played by two students of very different skill levels.)

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: JoelW Re: New Four Hand Piece - 11/01/13 04:39 PM
Midi, please.
Posted By: Nikolas Re: New Four Hand Piece - 11/01/13 06:30 PM
LOL!

I love it. It's happening every single time! Polyphonist will post one of his scores, in image form, Joel will kick in to ask for a recording and polyphonist will comply... grin

It seems very interesting, but, Polyphonist, I'm wondering if this format (two staves, on top of another two) is ideal for a 4 hand work. I prefer much more the portrait format, and each page on their own respective performer... ?
Posted By: JoelW Re: New Four Hand Piece - 11/01/13 06:36 PM
I'm just not an excellent sight-reader yet. It would take me 5 minutes per page.
Posted By: Nikolas Re: New Four Hand Piece - 11/01/13 06:59 PM
Oh no, I agree. A recording would be most useful. After all, while I can roughly understand what's going on in a score (not Boulez, thank you) I still won't sit on the piano, or print the pages to have a try on the piano, just like that...
Posted By: JoelW Re: New Four Hand Piece - 11/01/13 07:02 PM
Can you literally hear the music when reading it?
Posted By: Nikolas Re: New Four Hand Piece - 11/01/13 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by JoelW
Can you literally hear the music when reading it?
Think about it.

Literally NO. It's impossible.

But I can understand roughly, as I said, what's going on. It's not unlike reading an English text. You don't have to read this text aloud, you can just understand what it's saying and how it sounds roughly...

But this is not the place for this discussion I think. Let's not derail this thread any further.
Posted By: Polyphonist Re: New Four Hand Piece - 11/01/13 07:34 PM
Originally Posted by Nikolas
It seems very interesting, but, Polyphonist, I'm wondering if this format (two staves, on top of another two) is ideal for a 4 hand work. I prefer much more the portrait format, and each page on their own respective performer... ?

Yes, of course when I print it I use that format. However, I write it like this, and then convert it to normal format at the end. I thought it would be easier to read with all 4 together, so I posted this score.
Posted By: Polyphonist Re: New Four Hand Piece - 11/01/13 07:42 PM
Now the long-awaited MIDI: http://picosong.com/qJfa
(Disclaimer: The quality is rather bad; I'm having a problem with the audio in Sibelius 7 and have had to use Sibelius 6 for it.)
Posted By: Steve Chandler Re: New Four Hand Piece - 11/01/13 08:49 PM
Thanks for the midi. I think it's a great little piece I can only imagine the lesser student being thrilled to be sitting next to the pianist playing the hard part. That could prove very motivational. Fun piece, I liked it.
Posted By: JoelW Re: New Four Hand Piece - 11/01/13 10:40 PM
I like this. Really enjoyed the progression at around 47s. You must have known that spot would get a reaction. wink

Very creative. I wish there was more. I would like for the end run to have proceeded all the way down the keyboard and then do some sort of scale all the way back up.

If you don't mind the suggestion, this is what I mean: http://picosong.com/qJQe/

Something along those lines.
Posted By: Polyphonist Re: New Four Hand Piece - 11/02/13 03:16 AM
I like this. Really enjoyed the progression at around 47s. You must have known that spot would get a reaction. wink

Very creative. I wish there was more. I would like for the end run to have proceeded all the way down the keyboard and then do some sort of scale all the way back up.

If you don't mind the suggestion, this is what I mean: http://picosong.com/qJQe/

Interesting. Not quite the effect I'm going for here (it seems like a little too big of a coda for such a short piece) but might be an option at the end of a longer, 4 or 5 minute work.
Posted By: JoelW Re: New Four Hand Piece - 11/02/13 03:20 AM
Originally Posted by Polyphonist

Interesting. Not quite the effect I'm going for here (it seems like a little too big of a coda for such a short piece) but might be an option at the end of a longer, 4 or 5 minute work.

It's just a couple seconds longer.. grin
Posted By: Polyphonist Re: New Four Hand Piece - 11/02/13 03:34 AM

It's just a couple seconds longer.. grin

It's not about the length of the piece, it's about the length of the coda. It's 3 times longer, and very dramatic. grin
Posted By: Polyphonist Re: New Four Hand Piece - 11/02/13 03:37 AM

Yes, I like that part as well. There's also a nice similar passage at 14s that sounds not-too-good with MIDI, but I also like that one.
Posted By: JoelW Re: New Four Hand Piece - 11/02/13 03:40 AM
Actually, it's not even twice as long. Your coda is 3 measures. Mine is 4.
Posted By: JoelW Re: New Four Hand Piece - 11/02/13 03:41 AM

Yes, I like that part as well. There's also a nice similar passage at 14s that sounds not-too-good with MIDI, but I also like that one.

That too, but 47s is better. smile
Posted By: Polyphonist Re: New Four Hand Piece - 11/02/13 03:43 AM

You know what I mean. The running chords going all the way up the piano. It's a bit cheesy to tell you the truth.
Posted By: Polyphonist Re: New Four Hand Piece - 11/02/13 03:43 AM

That too, but 47s is better. smile

Maybe true. grin
Posted By: Polyphonist Re: New Four Hand Piece - 11/02/13 03:44 AM
Very creative. I wish there was more.

That's the idea - it's supposed to leave you wanting more. smile
Posted By: JoelW Re: New Four Hand Piece - 11/02/13 03:52 AM
Compose a 3 minute piece.
Posted By: Polyphonist Re: New Four Hand Piece - 11/02/13 03:54 AM

Why don't you compose a 3 minute piece if you want one so badly? grin
Posted By: JoelW Re: New Four Hand Piece - 11/02/13 03:56 AM

I'm working on one but I'm stuck. I have a B section, but no A section.. feels like crap.
Posted By: Polyphonist Re: New Four Hand Piece - 11/02/13 04:00 AM

I'm working on one but I'm stuck. I have a B section, but no A section.. feels like crap.

Is this the Eric piece from the other thread? grin
Posted By: JoelW Re: New Four Hand Piece - 11/02/13 04:02 AM

No no, that piece is completed in my head already. Just need to get it on (virtual) paper. This is a different piece. I quite like what I have, but it is not A section material. I'm having a hard time working backwards to make an A section.
Posted By: Polyphonist Re: New Four Hand Piece - 11/02/13 04:06 AM

No no, that piece is completed in my head already. Just need to get it on (virtual) paper. This is a different piece. I quite like what I have, but it is not A section material. I'm having a hard time working backwards to make an A section.

Let's see it.
Posted By: JoelW Re: New Four Hand Piece - 11/02/13 04:07 AM

Let's see it.

Are you able to play piano at this hour?
Posted By: Polyphonist Re: New Four Hand Piece - 11/02/13 04:08 AM

Let's see it.

Are you able to play piano at this hour?

I can hear it from the score.
Posted By: JoelW Re: New Four Hand Piece - 11/02/13 04:16 AM
I believe you.. but try to run through it once. http://s23.postimg.org/42arv88az/sdfijsidjfdfs.png

Very bare score right now, sorry.
Posted By: Polyphonist Re: New Four Hand Piece - 11/02/13 04:17 AM
I believe you.. but try to run through it once. http://s23.postimg.org/42arv88az/sdfijsidjfdfs.png

Why is it marked 1/4? And please fix bar 4.
Posted By: JoelW Re: New Four Hand Piece - 11/02/13 04:18 AM

Why is it marked 1/4?

It's 4/4. It just looks like a 1 for some reason.
Posted By: Polyphonist Re: New Four Hand Piece - 11/02/13 04:20 AM

Why is it marked 1/4?

It's 4/4. It just looks like a 1 for some reason.

I edited my post. Could you go back and read the rest of it?
Posted By: JoelW Re: New Four Hand Piece - 11/02/13 04:21 AM
I'm not fixing anything right now. It's a project I'm currently not working on. You'll be fine. wink
Posted By: Polyphonist Re: New Four Hand Piece - 11/02/13 04:23 AM
I'm not fixing anything right now. It's a project I'm currently not working on. You'll be fine. wink

No I won't. Joel, you need to learn that pianists don't read six leger lines above the bass clef. A simple switch to treble does the trick.

Also, you should notate bar 2 and similar passages in two voices. The ties are confusing.
Posted By: Polyphonist Re: New Four Hand Piece - 11/02/13 04:26 AM
Your B naturals in bar 6 and 8 should be Cb.
Posted By: JoelW Re: New Four Hand Piece - 11/02/13 04:27 AM
Oops haha, I didn't even see that. I wasn't even looking. Yes, totally, I will fix that. I thought you meant the accidentals.
Posted By: JoelW Re: New Four Hand Piece - 11/02/13 04:32 AM
http://s8.postimg.org/x1zkplb6d/dfffffffff.png
Posted By: Polyphonist Re: New Four Hand Piece - 11/02/13 04:32 AM
By the way, I can't run through it on the piano; I can't play at 12:30 in the morning. I'll get thrown out of my building. grin
Posted By: Polyphonist Re: New Four Hand Piece - 11/02/13 04:33 AM
I think it has some promising ideas, but your transitions are very abrupt and it doesn't yet flow in the way that I think you envision.
Posted By: JoelW Re: New Four Hand Piece - 11/02/13 04:39 AM
http://picosong.com/qJDr/
Posted By: Polyphonist Re: New Four Hand Piece - 11/02/13 04:43 AM
I won't go pedantic on you about accidentals right now, but it does annoy me.

About the music: Most disappointing for me is the transition from bar 10 to 11. It kills all the great possibilities you set up with the modulation (which I like a lot) in the previous few measures.
Posted By: JoelW Re: New Four Hand Piece - 11/02/13 04:53 AM
But that's what I wanted.
Posted By: Polyphonist Re: New Four Hand Piece - 11/02/13 04:54 AM

What is?
Posted By: JoelW Re: New Four Hand Piece - 11/02/13 04:55 AM

What is?

What I wrote, I wanted.
Posted By: JoelW Re: New Four Hand Piece - 11/02/13 04:57 AM
You very much like to modulate a lot, which is fine, but there's nothing wrong with my music just for holding one key for a few measures.
Posted By: Polyphonist Re: New Four Hand Piece - 11/02/13 04:58 AM
You very much like to modulate a lot. There's nothing wrong with my music. Holding one key for a few measures is not a sin by any means.

Where did I say I wanted it to modulate again?
Posted By: JoelW Re: New Four Hand Piece - 11/02/13 05:00 AM
You very much like to modulate a lot. There's nothing wrong with my music. Holding one key for a few measures is not a sin by any means.

Well, you didn't but I sort of got the impression that's what you meant, since you are a very modulation-happy composer. I don't understand what's so disappointing about measures 10 through 11. It's a melody with an accompaniment, and I like it.
Posted By: Polyphonist Re: New Four Hand Piece - 11/02/13 05:04 AM

Well, you didn't but I sort of got the impression that's what you meant, since you are a very modulation-happy composer. I don't understand what's so disappointing about measures 10 through 11. It's a melody with an accompaniment, and I like it.

Modulation-happy? Not very much. Your favorite of my compositions, the etude, only contains two real modulations in the entire piece.

And the disappointment is that you return in a rather banal fashion to an open tonic when you had a whole plethora of harmonic possibilities coming out of the modulation. The doubled F in the bass of 10 is also rather disappointing. In my opinion, of course.
Posted By: JoelW Re: New Four Hand Piece - 11/02/13 05:06 AM
Improve measure 11 and post it.
Posted By: Polyphonist Re: New Four Hand Piece - 11/02/13 05:10 AM
At least have an A minor chord and bring it around to the tonic in bar 13 with a half note harmonic rhythm. Or prolong it even longer. You can still retain a similar melody and it is more in the jazz spirit of the piece.
Posted By: JoelW Re: New Four Hand Piece - 11/02/13 05:11 AM
I don't even know why I am discussing this. I'm confident in my musicality. I don't need anyone's opinions.
Posted By: Polyphonist Re: New Four Hand Piece - 11/02/13 05:13 AM
I don't even know why I am discussing this. I'm confident in my musicality. I don't need anyone's opinions.

That's a very close-minded way of thinking about it. Listening to and understanding other opinions is a key aspect of maturing musically.
Posted By: Polyphonist Re: New Four Hand Piece - 11/02/13 05:16 AM
By the way everyone, the original topic is still up for discussion. Please do not refrain from posting about it. smile
Posted By: JoelW Re: New Four Hand Piece - 11/02/13 05:20 AM

That's a very close-minded way of thinking about it. Listening to and understanding other opinions is a key aspect of maturing musically.

Beethoven was 10x worse about it. It means nothing. In fact, I'm willing to bet every major composer in history has been this way. When something innate is forcing it's way out organically, there is no room for opinion-based changes.

I'm not going to listen to someone calling one little sliver of my work banal for having a double F. It just doesn't help me. Those F's happen to have been very deliberate. Everything I do is, including keeping measure 11 in the tonic.

I'm not trying to appear standoffish, honestly, but I know myself. I know my music. I have a very strong musical personality. I welcome you to post your own examples of what you think it should sound like. Then I will consider your advice.
Posted By: Polyphonist Re: New Four Hand Piece - 11/02/13 05:22 AM
I'm not going to listen to someone calling one little sliver of my work banal for having a double F.

Note the straw men that you constantly insert into your posts. I did not say that it was banal solely because of the double F. I was saying that the fact that the bass note was an F contributed to my perception of the passage.
Posted By: Polyphonist Re: New Four Hand Piece - 11/02/13 05:24 AM
I welcome you to post your own examples of what you think it should sound like. Then I will consider your advice.

That's a waste of my time, because you will just ignore it with a circular statement like "That's not how I wanted it to sound."
Posted By: JoelW Re: New Four Hand Piece - 11/02/13 05:25 AM
I welcome you to post your own examples of what you think it should sound like. Then I will consider your advice.

That's a waste of my time, because you will just ignore it with a circular statement like "That's not how I wanted it to sound."

Which is exactly what you're doing.
Posted By: Polyphonist Re: New Four Hand Piece - 11/02/13 05:28 AM
As I feared, this discussion, which I hoped would be constructive, has devolved into an argument about nothing.

Let's get back to the original topic please.
Posted By: JoelW Re: New Four Hand Piece - 11/02/13 05:36 AM
As I feared, this discussion, which I hoped would be constructive, has devolved into an argument about nothing.

Correct, because your advice isn't actual advice. The 11 bar segment I posted is completely competent music. Anything regarding changing it would be a clash of opinions, nothing more.

When you post your music, I don't narrow in on little spots that I would 'improve'. I take it for what it is and realize that this is not my creation, and even though I may disagree with certain things, I understand that what I'm hearing is completely competent and in no need of 'fixing'. I also focus on the parts I like most. You should do the same. Unless something is a glaringly immature and beginner-esque flaw, there isn't a need to nit-pick.

Okay? smile
Posted By: Polyphonist Re: New Four Hand Piece - 11/02/13 05:38 AM

Correct, because your advice isn't actual advice. The 11 bar segment I posted is completely competent music. Anything regarding changing it would be a clash of opinions, nothing more.

When you post your music, I don't narrow in on little spots that I would 'improve'. I take it for what it is and realize that this is not my creation, and even though I may disagree with certain things, I understand that what I'm hearing is completely competent and in no need of 'fixing'. I also focus on the parts I like most. You should do the same. Unless something is a glaringly immature and beginner-esque flaw, there isn't a need to nit-pick.

I think not knowing how to notate accidentals would qualify, don't you? Yet I said nothing about it.
Posted By: JoelW Re: New Four Hand Piece - 11/02/13 05:55 AM
That's theory. Very different than the actual music. Correct my theory mistakes until the cows come home, I would be nothing but thankful. But don't try to correct the music itself. Just doesn't work!
Posted By: JoelW Re: New Four Hand Piece - 11/03/13 10:18 PM

You know what I mean. The running chords going all the way up the piano. It's a bit cheesy to tell you the truth.

That's what I thought of your version. grin
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums