The Egg - Video Animation - Electroacoustic music

Posted by: Nikolas

The Egg - Video Animation - Electroacoustic music - 11/23/13 01:11 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CspKa6WLyI&feature=youtu.be

This is probably the weirdest thing I've ever done! Composed back in 2007 or so, for an online competition, it certainly didn't win anything, but it remains a rather imaginative use of piano and strings.

Video by Alexander Zennor, if I remember his name correctly.

I've only used piano an string sounds, and of course plenty of audio production...

So... enjoy (?)
Posted by: Ganddalf

Re: The Egg - Video Animation - Electroacoustic music - 11/25/13 02:36 AM

Interesting and mind-expanding. I'm absolutely not competent to provide any analysis or critisism to this music/video and I can't say I fully understood the message, but I definitely was emotionally stirred.
In addition to the electronic sound effects I could make out some tonality. I also noticed the use of quarter-notes and glissandi. It would be interesting to hear about which strategy was used to create this composition.

Re: The Egg - Video Animation - Electroacoustic music - 11/25/13 03:27 PM

Thanks for posting. Someone took the courage to do so! laugh

So... to answer your questions.

The video was from an online competition, so it pre-dates the composing of the music. The competition was arranged by a company making sample libraries (libraries with sounds) and we were forced to use only the libraries of their companies. Problem was that I only owned a regular symphonic orchestra and nothing else, thus I couldn't find the sounds I needed straight out of the box!

And thus I thought I could use the sounds of strings and piano, but alter them this extent! And, yes I had in some glissandi and some quarter notes... laugh Loved doing that!

My music didn't win, certainly. They were looking for a way to promote their products and my music certainly wasn't fit for that! But it did win me some praise from other composers.
Posted by: Steve Chandler

Re: The Egg - Video Animation - Electroacoustic music - 11/25/13 03:48 PM

Nikolas, that's very cool. You certainly did alter those sounds a lot!! I found the sync of the music with the video very effective. The music is certainly way out there but the overall effect was quite impactful.

Re: The Egg - Video Animation - Electroacoustic music - 11/25/13 11:27 PM

Thanks Steve,

Yes, I think the sync is in perfect place... I also think that I kinda missed the overall message of the video, which appears to be one of an egg being born, living and dying... I was too much in sync with what happening on the video, rather than the story behind it.

That's why I don't make a good film composer, but a brilliant computer games one... laugh
Posted by: Triple J

Re: The Egg - Video Animation - Electroacoustic music - 11/25/13 11:53 PM

Very intriguing and enjoyable. Nice work.
Posted by: stalefleas

Re: The Egg - Video Animation - Electroacoustic music - 11/26/13 09:34 AM

Really cool! The music is very good. It is very appropriate to this video. My favorite part is when the piano comes in, sounding pretty much like a normal piano, but then there's one note, which mysteriously bends! Such a great effect. I liked the creepy, surreal, and also downright silly atmosphere of this whole thing.

Re: The Egg - Video Animation - Electroacoustic music - 11/26/13 11:34 PM

JJJ: Thank you!

Stalefleas: Thanks as well. I was going through a phase trying to prove that samples can be as real as possible and the combination of quarter tones, along with the fact that it can't be done made it all a nice compositional quirk really... :P
Posted by: stumbler

Re: The Egg - Video Animation - Electroacoustic music - 11/28/13 08:29 PM

Nikolas, I really like that.

Re: The Egg - Video Animation - Electroacoustic music - 11/29/13 02:06 AM

thank you! smile
Posted by: PoetOfTheFall21

Re: The Egg - Video Animation - Electroacoustic music - 12/01/13 05:42 AM

An astonishing video and music, just wow... Well done!:)