Piano World Home Page
Posted By: Turfer Score Writing Software - 01/17/08 09:19 AM
Hi just curious as to what composing software composers use. I personally use ScoreWriter 2.0, and I think it is absolutely fantastic! I have also tried Notation Musician but that was complete rubbish. So I was just wondering if there are any others out there.

Chris
Posted By: Nikolas Re: Score Writing Software - 01/17/08 09:30 AM
Hi Chris,

As far as I know the two professional and industry standard notation software are:
Finale 2008 and
Sibelius 5

There is also NOTION (I think it's verions 2, but not sure actually), but I think that it's right in the middle of a sequencer and a notation software and not perfect in either case.

BTW, what exactly do you mean by "composing software"? There isn't a software that composes music. You either get notation (to create score) or sequence (to create audio files, by sequencing your music). I replied due to the subject of the thread.
Posted By: Ozor Mox Re: Score Writing Software - 01/17/08 12:34 PM
I use LilyPond . It's free and open source software, but it doesn't use a graphical front end. Rather, you write the notation in a special syntax and it compiles it into sheet music. The syntax is pretty easy to learn and extremely powerful, but definitely not as simple to use as a notation editor like Finale or Sibelius.
Posted By: Kreisler Re: Score Writing Software - 01/17/08 01:58 PM
The above mentioned programs are primarily for notating scores.

Many composers who work outside classical styles use DAW packages like Pro Tools or Logic.
Posted By: mahlzeit Re: Score Writing Software - 01/17/08 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Nikolas:
There isn't a software that composes music.
Yes there is. laugh
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algorithmic_music

Anyway, I use Score Writer 4, which I suppose is an upgrade of version 2? Anyway, it's probably not as good as Finale or Sibelius but much cheaper and so far I never needed a feature it didn't have.

Then again, I don't do much composing inside of a notation package. I also use LilyPond because it creates good-looking scores, but it's much more labor intensive.

For sequencing, you can use REAPER. It's free to try (indefinitely) and cheap to buy. It has a simple MIDI editor built in.
Posted By: Nikolas Re: Score Writing Software - 01/17/08 09:21 PM
Sequencers:

Cubase
Sonar
Reaper
Logic
Pro-tools

are the main ones really (and yes I consider reaper a "main one" as well. I love cockos! laugh )
Posted By: epf Re: Score Writing Software - 01/17/08 09:23 PM
I use Encore since I don't need all the bells and whistles found in Finale or Sibelius.

Ed
Posted By: currawong Re: Score Writing Software - 01/17/08 11:04 PM
I use an *old* version of Finale (I'd be embarrassed to tell you how old) which does everything I need it to do (which is a fair bit!). When the *old* (to match) computer and laser printer pack it in, I'll have to get an up-to-date version, I expect. Maybe then I'll look at Sibelius, but for now, I'm quite happy smile .
Posted By: notatorist Re: Score Writing Software - 11/11/10 11:14 PM
Hi, I use Obtiv Octava Composer Octava Composer Professional. There are more
versions with and without composition tools. You will not believe... I am curious what other people say.
There are also some tutorial videos.

Leon
Posted By: david_a Re: Score Writing Software - 11/11/10 11:29 PM
If you are an ordinary musician and not a professional copyist who absolutely requires the latest and greatest just to keep up with the heavy workload, I see no reason at all to pay anything for notation software when there are good free options.

Musescore is 100% free, and not disabled in the ways that the cheap "teasers" are for the expensive programs. It's not as shiny as Sibelius or Finale, but it works fine - and it's free.

Lilypond is also 100% free, makes nicer scores than Musescore (makes nicer scores than Finale for that matter), and is most likely harder to use for the average person.
Posted By: Jared Hoeft Re: Score Writing Software - 11/12/10 06:09 PM
I use Finale 2007. It has its share of problems, but it's been faithful to my needs for over 4 years now!
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums