"Dark Desires"

Posted by: Johnny-Boy

"Dark Desires" - 07/29/08 07:09 PM

Here's a semi-serious composition of mine. Hope you enjoy.

"Dark Desires"[/b]
http://schicksville.com/Music/DD-SundayMix.mp3

Best, John
Posted by: gemiknight

Re: "Dark Desires" - 07/29/08 07:36 PM

There's a lot of dissonance, but I think it sounds neat, and it sure goes with the title. I can picture what you are visualizing... More specifically, I am depicting a scene from Dracula.

Again, I'm no expert at composition, but as a peer, I really like this composition. It sounds to me like you put a lot of work into and still held on to it's purpose. Emotionally, I feel this is a very effective piece. Good job!
Posted by: James McFadyen

Re: "Dark Desires" - 07/29/08 08:02 PM

Sounds OK and would fit well with a low-budget film on Sci-fi, maybe even LivingTV!

Try to be a bit more original and perhaps listen to a bit of Stravinsky and Ligeti... it brings a whole new meaning to dark!

The quasi-romanticism mixed with 1980's horror motif's don't really sit well anymore. If you're going for a TV career, sure, LivingTV may be interested but in all honesty, anything outside this idiom is going to mean a serious change in musical direction for you if you want to stand out.
Posted by: Johnny-Boy

Re: "Dark Desires" - 07/29/08 11:34 PM

Thanks for the feedback Gemi and James! It’s always interesting to hear different opinions – and I really appreciate it.

Glad the title made sense to you Gemi. Actually I was thinking more in terms of a murder mystery/ thriller, rather than horror. More specific; a beautiful woman that has a strong desire to slit mens’ throats (I guess that would be horror). I even used a photo of such a woman as inspiration. I do have two tracks titled “Dracula” & “Vampire” though.

James, I understand your direction in composition. I am knowledgeable in the realm of 12-tone music. It just never struck a nerve with me; at least not to the degree of romantic era music. I still believe a composer can be original in both these idioms.

I do think 12-tone music would lock a composer into a smaller box than romantic era music (my opinion of course). Actually I don’t set out to compose in any specific style. I just let my emotions guide me (in co-ordination with the subject matter).

I do differ from your opinion about today's styles of music in film. The majority of film and TV that I watch still use the romantic era characteristics in the background music (often with effects added).

I also agree that 12-tone music can make great horror tracks. However, most present day horror films (and I watch many of them – for the music) still use the romantic era base – even the new soundtrack of “The Mummy”.

My philosophy on music (besides my signature) would go something like this:
“Music is nothing more than pure emotion expressed musically while contained in an intelligible musical structure”.

Music is subjective (of course it is); that would explain the large diversity of musical taste (why one listener loves Chopin, another prefers Stravinsky, and yet another idolizes Billy Joel.

Actually, for film I prefer Williams, Mancini, Grusin, Elfman, etc - but many won’t share my feelings.

Again, I want to thank both of you for your feedback.

Best, John

P.S. The subject of diversity in musical style would make a very interesting topic here (which is better/more original kind of dialogue). I wouldn’t mind if this post would become such an interesting read.