Vera Lynn

Posted by: Bech

Vera Lynn - 12/13/10 01:53 PM

Picture, if you will, being the wife or a family member of a British, American, etc. soldier, sailor or marine whose far away laying his life on the line during WWII.

Then, picture the wife or family listening to British singer Vera Lynn singing:

I'll Be Seeing You
We'll Meet Again
The White Cliffs of Dover
You'll Never Know
I Think Of You
You're Always In My Heart

What a great voice.

Anyone here old enough to remember her singing DURING this war? No doubt, back then, some tears came into the eyes of some when listening to these tunes.

I'm back and just discovered an interview with Vera Lynn titled: Dame Vera Lynn on GMTV. Nice. There's interesting comments about her below her videos.

All on wonderful YouTube.

Bech
Posted by: Exalted Wombat

Re: Vera Lynn - 01/10/11 03:30 PM

British musician's joke:

"I see there's going to be another war."
"How do you know?"
"Walked past Vera Lynn's house today. Heard her gargling."
Posted by: mikf

Re: Vera Lynn - 01/24/11 01:08 PM

Not quite old enough to remember during the war as I was born a few days before VJ day but certainly many memories from the early fifties when the British troops were still stationed all over the world in the aftermmath and these were very popular on programs like family favorites. Great voice, great lyrics, but mot off all these are all really great tunes, and I still like playing them.
Mike

Re: Vera Lynn - 10/28/11 02:12 AM

Tonight I listened to several of the greatest pop female singers. I'm talk'in Sarah Vaughn, Patsy Cline, etc. and then I listened to Vera Lynn.

She just might be my favorite.

Bech

Re: Vera Lynn - 01/22/12 04:26 PM

Had a re-visit with Vera Lynn on YouTube and also Wikipedia. See where she's now 94 years old. She's one of the very last of the World War II entertainers.

When she dies--and I hope she lives to be 150--it'll be big news in England. If not it should be! I believe she was rather popular here in America at one time.

Lovely voice AND person.

Bech