Other Instruments of Choice for Outdoor Performance

Posted by: Harpsichord

Other Instruments of Choice for Outdoor Performance - 05/29/12 08:38 AM

Hi all,

I believe majority of us here are pianist and at most major in piano. I'm not very proficient in piano (I can only play ABRSM G5 standards blush as I just started 3 years ago.

My group of friends are doing some charity work and like to perform in an open space of some old folks home. So far we have guitarist and a drummer and the rest are singers.

I was wondering what kind of instruments I can pick up to improve for the group? I can play the guitar but it's really overrated... frown It's a sad thing that a Pianist can't carry their instruments around...

Hence I was thinking of something like Pianica or Accordion (With Piano key). What do you guys think? In terms of Pianica I think the proficiency level isn't that high (correct me if I'm wrong). However Accordion sounds more better but I believe it will take some mastery.
Posted by: Greener

Re: Other Instruments of Choice for Outdoor Performance - 06/02/12 03:18 PM

Actually, there are synthesizers and small digital pianos that are quite portable these days. My sister has a piano she rolls up and puts in her purse. She is a hoot ...

As for other ideas:
Vibraphone would be a lovely addition, but definately not easily portable.

I suppose accordion could be fun depending on sound you are going after. It sure would not be my first choice though. It is just not my cup of tea. But, I think you are right, it could be a big hit for this venue. Depending on how well you do with it.

How about Harmonica?
Posted by: Piano Hero

Re: Other Instruments of Choice for Outdoor Performance - 06/15/12 04:30 AM

Yes, Harmonica is agood choice.
Posted by: Harpsichord

Re: Other Instruments of Choice for Outdoor Performance - 06/21/12 02:39 PM

Roll up in her purse? How? Hahaha I wish a keyboard or piano can be kept in ermm.. capsule like in Dragon Ball lol.

I'm guess Accordion will be slight expensive and need some time to pick it up. I barely have good idea how to accompany on piano just looking at chords symbols (Yes I do the very basic pattern. oh well). I am pretty sure Accordion might have different way of accompaniment rather than jamming chords like guitar (urgh... damn)

I don't mind picking up Harmonica. However what kind of Harp would you guys recommend? laugh I like blues personally but I don't think I should get a blues harp if they ain't playing blues. Chromatic harps perhaps?
Posted by: Rune E

Re: Other Instruments of Choice for Outdoor Performance - 07/02/12 05:54 PM

I suggest a Melodica

Czardas on Melodica

Oops, did not know that Pianica and Melodica is the same instrument.
Anyway, the guy above is a must see!