Brahms trivia, anybody?

Posted by: AndrewG

Brahms trivia, anybody? - 11/26/02 11:01 AM

Someone gave me this trivia quizz I'd like to share with this board:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. What musical instrument did his father play? ?
2. In his youth, Brahms earned a living by teaching, playing behind the scenes at theatres and playing piano in what type of establishments? ?
3. In 1853, he was introduced to renowned violinist Joseph Joachim, who would become one of Brahms' life-long friends. What composition did Brahms write specifically for Joachim? ?
4. There were various musical factions in Vienna during Brahms' life. Those who were devoted to Wagner were very much against the Classicism in the music of Brahms. What noted composer, the acknowledged leader of the Wagnerian movement, was Brahms' most outspoken critic? ?
5. In 1863, he obtained a post at the Singakademie. Was he hired to (a) compose (b) conduct or (c) perform? ?
6. Why did his German Requiem cause such a stir in sacred music circles? ?
7. What English university attempted (unsuccessfully) to bestow a Doctor of Music degree upon Brahms? ?
8. For what occasion did Brahms compose the Academic Festival Overture and why was it so warmly received by those in attendance? ?
9. What was Brahms' main reason for waiting so long (he was 42 years old) to attempt the composition of his First Symphony? ?
10. Late in life, an early-morning visitor to Brahms' home might have found him in a rather unkempt state of dress (usually pajamas, bathrobe and slippers) and engaging in his two great passions - aside from music. What were these two "vices"?
Posted by: mrenaud

Re: Brahms trivia, anybody? - 11/26/02 01:40 PM

I'll give it a try, though most of it will probably be wrong anyway.

Quote:
1. What musical instrument did his father play? ?[/b]
Violin maybe?
 Quote:
2. In his youth, Brahms earned a living by teaching, playing behind the scenes at theatres and playing piano in what type of establishments? ?[/b]
In brothels.
 Quote:
3. In 1853, he was introduced to renowned violinist Joseph Joachim, who would become one of Brahms' life-long friends. What composition did Brahms write specifically for Joachim? ?[/b]
The double concerto, I think
 Quote:
4. There were various musical factions in Vienna during Brahms' life. Those who were devoted to Wagner were very much against the Classicism in the music of Brahms. What noted composer, the acknowledged leader of the Wagnerian movement, was Brahms' most outspoken critic? ?[/b]
I think that would be Liszt.
 Quote:
5. In 1863, he obtained a post at the Singakademie. Was he hired to (a) compose (b) conduct or (c) perform? ?[/b]
Conduct?
 Quote:
6. Why did his German Requiem cause such a stir in sacred music circles? ?[/b]
Probably because it was not in latin.
 Quote:
7. What English university attempted (unsuccessfully) to bestow a Doctor of Music degree upon Brahms? ?[/b]
Oxford?
 Quote:
8. For what occasion did Brahms compose the Academic Festival Overture and why was it so warmly received by those in attendance? ?[/b]
No idea.
 Quote:
9. What was Brahms' main reason for waiting so long (he was 42 years old) to attempt the composition of his First Symphony? ?[/b]
Because he felt he was not ready for it?
 Quote:
10. Late in life, an early-morning visitor to Brahms' home might have found him in a rather unkempt state of dress (usually pajamas, bathrobe and slippers) and engaging in his two great passions - aside from music. What were these two "vices"?[/b]
Vine and cigars?
Posted by: MichaelP

Re: Brahms trivia, anybody? - 11/26/02 03:04 PM

Brahms's pop played the horn and the double bass. And for some reason I associate the Academic Festival Overture with the University of Breslau--maybe an honorary degree for Johannes?
Posted by: Ted

Re: Brahms trivia, anybody? - 11/26/02 04:51 PM

The funniest thing I remember reading about Brahms was that he went to sleep when Liszt played his (Liszt's) sonata for him and the event
was the source of a lasting quarrel between them.
Posted by: magnezium

Re: Brahms trivia, anybody? - 11/26/02 08:53 PM

No. 7 is Cambridge right?

haha that's the only one I vaguely know...