BBC Young Musician Award 2002

Posted by: Praetorian_AD

BBC Young Musician Award 2002 - 05/27/02 07:46 PM

For those of you at all interested in affairs over here in the UK, last night was the BBC's annual young musician award. The concerto finals last night saw five finalists from five genres of instrument (Keyboard, Percussion, String, Woodwind, Brass) playing a concerto of these choice with the BBC Symphony Orchestra, one of London's best.

You could tell right away that these guys had been hand-picked from the best of the best - none of them were over 20 but they all played to an international standard, and really were masters of their instrument.

The pianist played Prokofiev's first concerto, and it was stunning. She was only 19 but was totally calm despite being broadcast to millions of people. It's a very demanding concerto and there was a lot of pressure to get it right from the orchestra, I think.

But the real star of the show was a 12-year-old girl who played Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto in E Minor. It was totally breathtaking! She played it with more expression and technical perfection than many recordings I've heard of it! Needless to say, she took away first place -- hands down.

I don't know if anyone else saw this event, but personally, I think that they were all of an irreproachable standard, but really different. I don't see how you can compare a percussionist (who played a huge range of instruments - at one point he improvised a five-minute cadenza) and a french horn playing Strauss. Still, it's really inspiring to see people of my own age equalling some of the most highly trained professionals.

Re: BBC Young Musician Award 2002 - 05/29/02 06:27 PM

Oh well, guess nobody cares after all. \:\)
Posted by: Susan

Re: BBC Young Musician Award 2002 - 05/29/02 08:51 PM

Oh I care, I care! Just didn't know what to say...I'm so amazed/envious, etc., that you have tv stations that broadcast events like that. How wonderful to hear/see young musicians of that calibre. You'd never see that kind of program on CBC here; heck no, hockey is so much more important :rolleyes: (although they are actually going to air some of the World Cup, so some redemption there \:\) )Seriously though, I think it's wonderful that you, and other young musicians get exposure to this kind of talent; it can only inspire and motivate.

Susan

Re: BBC Young Musician Award 2002 - 06/01/02 07:47 AM

Yes Susan, having lived ten years in Canada, I think it's a shame that they don't make more of this kind of thing...there's a lot of talent in Canada in terms of music, and the conservatory in Toronto is very wel-respected, as is the RCM exam system. With names like Marc-Andre Hamelin and Louis Lortie (and going back a bit, Glenn Gould)in Canadian pianism today, I can't believe they keep it all so quiet. Guess it's because they don't play for the Leafs.
Posted by: Pianorak

Re: BBC Young Musician Award 2002 - 08/25/02 04:42 AM

Praetorian AD: Tut, tut - how could you fail to mention Angela Hewitt? ;\)
Posted by: The D's Pianist

Re: BBC Young Musician Award 2002 - 08/25/02 12:45 PM

Wow! Amazing... I've always been a sort of prodigy-wannabe, lol ;\) So this is really igniting a fire! This is gonna make me practice for 6 hours today, I know it... lol... ;\)