Music and Surgery

Posted by: netizen

Music and Surgery - 11/30/01 12:54 PM

I saw this interesting bit on the web and thought I'd pass it along for others on Piano World:

"According to a study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association, background music chosen by doctors helps them excel in their work...Nietzsche wrote, 'Without music, life would be a mistake,'" the study said. "Over a century later, our data prompt us to ponder if, without music, surgery would be a mistake...Classical music is a favourite choice in the operating theatre. A survey of the most popular tunes published in a British journal found Vivaldi's Four Seasons was top pick for surgical procedures, followed by Beethoven's Violin Concerto Op. 61, Bach's Brandenburg Concertos and Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries."

Cheers,

Link: http://www.nationalpost.com/artslife/story.html?f=/stories/20011124/802401.html
Posted by: PianoMuse

Re: Music and Surgery - 11/30/01 03:48 PM

I am not sure how i would feel being operated on while the doctors listen to ride of the valkyries....that would be kinda weird! i would imagine music that would be a little more " soothing" would be better..
Posted by: Amy

Re: Music and Surgery - 11/30/01 05:06 PM

hmm....thats interesting...I wonder if the doctors were listening to music when I had my hand surgury.....
Posted by: Maherano

Re: Music and Surgery - 12/01/01 10:39 AM

When he plays he does it in such a way that the heart feels it. Harmony is conducted with such style. The listener quietly holds his breath so that the ears do not miss a single note. The sounds give the most beautiful echoes,
In short: in the midst of pleasure, surprise and repose you forget yourself and listen to
Maherano

Just what the doctor Ordered.

Maherano, Premier Classics CD