Compositions

Posted by: Amy

Compositions - 09/06/01 09:43 PM

Does anyone here compose music for instruments other than the piano? I write for a mallet quartet which includes bells, vibes, xylophone, and marimba.
Posted by: SethW

Re: Compositions - 09/08/01 10:48 PM

I have written works for numerous instruments. Primarily solo instruments such as the guitar, violin, cello and harmonica. I'm also working on some orchestral pieces. The problem is getting an orchestra to play it; it is not always easy. Right now, however, I'm trying to piece a composition together for the piano. I just got done with a short piece on the piano partly inspired by Richard Nanes's incredible Nocturnes and Sonnets the piano. I also would like to write a choral work(Mozarts Requiem has truly been one of my favorite pieces).I also have wanted to try writing a piece for the accordian.Unfortunately, composing takes time.It can be difficult as well.

I do not limit myself to classical music,however. Writing orchestral works such as symphonies are very hard, time consuming, and not very productive. As such I have done some ragtime arranging. I realy love film scores,too. Composers from John Williams to the older group, such as Marice Jarre, have been inspirations.The guitar is an idea instrument for composition, however,you can write all kinds of pieces on it.The harmonica is another good instrument because you do not have to worry to musch about harmony.I also have thought of writing a piece for chimes.I did play chimes in an group once, so it could be interesting.