Fred Karpoff - Concert Pianist, Teacher, Producer

Posted by: Fred Karpoff

Fred Karpoff - Concert Pianist, Teacher, Producer - 12/16/11 03:36 PM

Fred Karpof, concert pianist

Fred Karpoff - Concert Pianist, Teacher, Producer

Fred Karpoff has performed as both soloist and collaborative pianist on four continents, including prominent venues in Germany, Luxembourg, Belgium, Ghana, Zimbabwe, Ireland, Finland, Italy, China, and the United States. As guest artist at major music festivals in the U.S. and Europe, he has collaborated with many of America’s foremost musicians. He is the pianist of the Boccaccio Trio.

A former Artistic Ambassador for the United States Information Agency, Fred Karpoff is a prize winner in the San Antonio, Frinna Awerbuch, Dublin, and 2005 Competition Internationale international piano competitions. In addition to his critically acclaimed CD release, Heroic Tales: Piano Music of Edward MacDowell, Renegade Classics has issued his live Beethoven Trio performances with musicians at the Skaneateles Festival and This Moment and Snapshots with soprano Rebecca Karpoff.

Fred Karpoff studied with Ann Schein, Yoheved Kaplinsky, and Robert Weirich, and holds the Doctor of Musical Arts degree from the Peabody Conservatory, where he was a frequent performer in the master classes of Leon Fleisher. His undergraduate training took place at Northwestern University. He has also studied with Jeffrey Kahane, Richard Goode, and the late Karl-Ulrich Schnabel.

He is the 2011 Winner of the Frances Clark Keyboard Pedagogy Award presented by Music Teachers National Association, for The 3-D Piano Method. Produced with filmmaker Richard Breyer in 2009, 3-D Piano is a multi-DVD series and book on a whole-body approach to piano playing and teaching, already in use by hundreds of pianists and teachers in over twenty countries around the world. Dr. Karpoff presents workshops and master classes throughout North America, including recent appearances as a featured presenter at the Music Teachers Association of California and Texas Music Teachers Association Conventions, and the National Conference on Keyboard Pedagogy. He is Professor of Piano and Ensemble Arts and co-chair of the keyboard department at the Setnor School of Music at Syracuse University, which has honored him with its Excellence in Graduate Education Faculty Recognition Award.

Fred Karpoff is a Steinway Artist. More information is available at
The 3-D Piano Method .

Performed Concerto Repertoire:

Mozart — No. 12 in A, K. 414; No. 13 in C, K. 415; No. 17 in G, K. 453; No. 20 in D Minor, K. 466; No. 21 in C, K. 467; No. 22 in Eb, K. 482; No. 23 in A, K. 488

Beethoven — No. 1 in C, Op. 15; No. 2 in Bb, Op. 19; No. 4 in G, Op. 58, No. 5 in Eb, Op. 73; Choral Fantasy, Op. 80

Chopin — No. 2 in F Minor

Schumann — A Minor

Brahms — No. 1 in D minor, Op. 15; No. 2 in Bb, Op. 83

Tchaikovsky – No. 1 in Bb Minor, Op. 23

Rachmaninoff — Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini, Op. 43

Barber — Concerto for Piano and Orchestra, Op. 38

In 2011, The 3-D Piano Method launched the online newsletter, Soundpoint, which has over 2500 regular readers. To sign up for Soundpoint or to read past lead articles by Fred Karpoff (click on 'Blog') visit 3-dpiano.com .

About 3-D Piano:

"I give Fred Karpoff's masterful 'The 3-D Piano Method' my unqualified endorsement. I am delighted that this comprehensive series will aid teachers and pianists for generations to come."
Seymour Fink
Author/Producer, 'Mastering Piano Technique'

"I'm thrilled with The 3-D Piano Method! It's invigorated my teaching and transformed my students' playing."
Sarah Lyngra
Piano Teacher; Owner, Yellow Cat Publishing, LLC

"Strongly Recommended"
Piano Professional
Journal of the European Piano Teachers Association

"I must add how very grateful I am each day for The 3-D Piano Method. It has benefited my playing and teaching immeasurably."
Elaine Silbereis
Vice-President, Hartford Chapter of Connecticut State Music Teachers Association

"An invaluable resource!"
Lydia McVay
Piano Teacher, Glenside, PA

"The clearest, most thorough, and best organized work I have seen on piano playing and teaching."
Steven Rosenfeld, DMA
Pianist and Teacher, Colgate University