Scriabin Nocturne op.9 for left hand

Posted by: champy

Scriabin Nocturne op.9 for left hand - 08/24/12 03:34 AM

Here is a recording of a piece I learnt when I screwed up my right hand.

play

I hope you'll like it smile
Posted by: babama

Re: Scriabin Nocturne op.9 for left hand - 08/24/12 05:41 AM

Very nice! I love this piece. Thanks for sharing.
Posted by: BruceD

Re: Scriabin Nocturne op.9 for left hand - 08/24/12 07:34 PM

This is very sensitively played, and, yes, I do like it.

When I play this work, I like to observe a slightly stricter tempo than you do at the outset and again at measure 28, to really feel the 6/8 as a duple time. I feel there is much opportunity for more flexibility of tempo at other points in the piece, once the initial tempo is established.

I also take with a grain of salt Scriabin's f marking at measure 7 and measure 34 and try not to be too dramatic at that point. How f is f in this context? Yours sounds more like ff.

However, these are interpretive differences which is why it is always interesting to hear others play works that one has studied.

You have excellent balance throughout, I feel, and a good sense of the melodic line.

Thank you for sharing.

Regards,
Posted by: pianoloverus

Re: Scriabin Nocturne op.9 for left hand - 08/24/12 07:54 PM

Except for the octave jump at measure similar and similar places which were too loud for my taste, I thought the general tone, shaping of the melodic line, rubato, tempo, and balance between the "two" hands were all fabulous.

Posted by: BruceD

Re: Scriabin Nocturne op.9 for left hand - 08/26/12 01:55 PM

After listening to this performance and playing through the Nocturne a few times, what do you think about the f being applied more to the right hand at those points rather than to the low B-flat in the left hand?

Not to say that the low octaves shouldn't have some depth, but maybe a little less intensity so that the entire mood of the moment is not suddenly jarred?

Just a thought .... and I still like champy's performance for several reasons.

Regards,
Posted by: champy

Re: Scriabin Nocturne op.9 for left hand - 08/28/12 05:53 PM

Originally Posted By: BruceD
After listening to this performance and playing through the Nocturne a few times, what do you think about the f being applied more to the right hand at those points rather than to the low B-flat in the left hand?

Not to say that the low octaves shouldn't have some depth, but maybe a little less intensity so that the entire mood of the moment is not suddenly jarred?

Just a thought .... and I still like champy's performance for several reasons.

Regards,

Thank you for your comment. You definitely have a point. At the time I was recording this pieces, I want to make this section like "a full chest tone from singer" with a "swell orchestra" kind of sound. That was about 2-3 years ago.

Now, that I listen to it again, I started also to think that maybe I overdid... Your comment saying that, the f being applied more to the right hand at those points rather than to the low B-flat in the left hand, is very helpful and practical in terms of both intepretation and the playing itself.

Very good point... Thank you