Kapustin - Impromptu Op. 66 No. 2

Posted by: evilpacman18

Kapustin - Impromptu Op. 66 No. 2 - 10/12/12 03:02 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkxXNHIY9sc

Just felt like getting this on tape and my friend had a pretty good camera. I hadn't played it in a while but yeah I look forward to criticism. I'm sure there's a lot to be had.

This was the first take. Every take after that was pretty bad. I have enough material to tack a bloopers reel onto the end of the video actually. I'm gonna start trying to record more.
Posted by: Tim Adrianson

Re: Kapustin - Impromptu Op. 66 No. 2 - 10/12/12 09:23 AM

Hi there, evil one!

Well, you should record more -- you have considerable technique, and a natural, lyrical flow in your musical approach. For my taste, though, this presentation is not jazzy enough -- it's too dutiful and polite by half, which IMO is a mistake most Classically trained pianists make when approaching material of this sort. Kapustin has a superb sense of the jazz piano sensibility (God knows where he got it, living in Russia his whole life!) -- and this sensibility includes factors such as "living in the moment"; bursts of uninhibited joy, sudden humorous shifts in mood -- and while I hear these elements in this Impromptu (I haven't heard this particular piece before), I don't hear you fully embracing these factors. Off the top of my head, I would suggest that you experiment with no damper pedal at all, or at least as little as possible, in order to achieve more of the jazz "feel".

But still, a very good presentation, and thanks for sharing this!
Posted by: evilpacman18

Re: Kapustin - Impromptu Op. 66 No. 2 - 10/27/12 07:22 PM

Bump
I appreciate the comment above. Seeing if I can get any more though :p The more the better!
Posted by: Bobpickle

Re: Kapustin - Impromptu Op. 66 No. 2 - 10/30/12 01:20 AM

Too unfamiliar with Kapustin to comment, but I did laugh at Sam Rose's comment lol