Frédéric Chopin - Mazurka in G minor, Op. 67 No. 2

Posted by: Beethoven747-400

Frédéric Chopin - Mazurka in G minor, Op. 67 No. 2 - 11/07/12 03:31 AM

Here's my rendition of one of my most favorite Chopin Nocturnes smile

I think the 'Sotto Voce' section is rhythmically incorrect, I didn't spend a great deal of time putting this beautiful piece together.

Let me know what you think! :-)
Posted by: pianoloverus

Re: Frédéric Chopin - Mazurka in G minor, Op. 67 No. 2 - 11/07/12 11:49 AM

I hope on all your pieces you listen to some YouTube recordings by excellent pianists. Here are a few for this Mazurka:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-HhKq780Sw&feature=fvst
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHK7Aub9fa0&feature=related

This can be an invaluable resource if you listen carefully.

I can't tell how much is the fault of the piano(tuning and/or voicing), the recording, or your own, but the tone on your recording is very harsh. I suspect that a lot of the fault is the piano's but you should still try and play the pieces as beautifully as possible on whatever instrument you have available.

In the middle section, I think you play a lot of triplets as if they were an eighth followed by two 16ths.

Posted by: Beethoven747-400

Re: Frédéric Chopin - Mazurka in G minor, Op. 67 No. 2 - 11/07/12 12:21 PM

Hi pianoloverus,

Thanks for your comments. I completely agree with everything you said. I tried to record this piece on the best available device I had at the time - a phone, behind all the noise clipping and distortion caused by poor quality, there are few sections where you can hear that the tone is not forced, or harsh.

Rhythmically, I had noticed that I did articulate the triplets differently, with a sort of swing feel, I do understand that is... Not accepted, but for recording purposes, not meant to be taken in specific detail, rather a broad overview, I intentionally made it that way, I just preferred it better that way at the time, even if it was very wrong by Chopin. :P

The same goes for the Acciaccaturas, which... actually sound quite bad the way I did it...

Thanks for your feedback!

:-)